• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI logo (and Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner) leaked ahead of reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

i dont wan't Level 5 to develop this game.

We need DQ 11 from Square Enix and Ni No Kuni 2 from Level 5....or atleast another JRPG from level 5

To be perfectly honest I'd rather SE not develop DQXI and instead it's outsourced as usual to either Heartbeat, Chunsoft or Level 5.

I'd think SE is already burdened enough as it is with FFXV, KH3, and probably FF7r.

Besides of all of the DQ games Armor Project worked on alongside an outsourcing company, Of them all the only one that was never localized was the one that was developed internally at SE.

To get another DQ game similar to that of DQVIII, I'd figure Level-5 would be the most appropriate staff for the job, if something along those lines does actually happen.

DNAbro

To be perfectly honest I'd rather SE not develop DQXI and instead it's outsourced as usual to either Heartbeat, Chunsoft or Level 5.

I'd think SE is already burdened enough as it is with FFXV, KH3, and probably FF7r.

Besides of all of the DQ games Armor Project worked on alongside an outsourcing company, Of them all the only one that was never localized was the one that was developed internally at SE.

To get another DQ game similar to that of DQVIII, I'd figure Level-5 would be the most appropriate staff for the job, if something along those lines does actually happen.

FF7 is outsourced if the rumors are true.

Sandfox

My schedule for the rest of the night

-Wake up at 7:00am after dreaming about DQ XI
-See that DQ XI has been announced as a PS4 only game
-Looks fucking amazing
-Is coming out simultaneously with Japan release

Ok, see you guys tomorrow.

Not too many jrpgs do that.

beril

That was my favorite aspect, vanishing and collecting materials on the world map by going places you were not strong enough to go yet was a big part of my enjoyment, making me feel like a little thief. with random battles it would not be as engaging. I also like the thrill of finally finding a grotto with metal king slimes, having that visual there was more satisfying than if you had to see them suddenly appear after a random encounter. The only problem to me was the tight spaces where you could not maneuver away from those big ass monsters haha.

I think it was generally too easy to avoid enemies in DQIX, meaning it was always up to me if I wanted to fight a monster or not. It removed much of the risk of traversing a dungeon and also made it harder to gauge the level of grinding needed. In a traditional DQ with random battles you can pretty much rely on encounter rate to reach the appropriate level for a boss. If you just go though the game normally and don't run from most of the battles you should be ok. I think I ended up with more frequent battles than in any other DQ game in IX because it felt like cheating not to fight basically every monster that appeared on the screen, when it gave me the option to easily avoid almost all of them.

Hex

Banned

-See that DQ XI has been announced as a PS4 only game
-Looks fucking amazing
-Is coming out simultaneously with Japan release

Ok, see you guys tomorrow.

frozencartman.gif

OmegaDL50

This is some revisionism right here. If anything a lot of DQ games pushed their hardware too much, resulting in slowdown etc.

Revisionism? Sorry, but no. I don't have a memory issue.

Go look at Dragon Quest VII on the PSX and say that again with a straight face. Dragon Quest VIII via Level-5 was exception, NOT the norm.

A matter of slowdown has nothing to do with how a game looks. Performance and Graphical detail are two very different things.

I'll give you Dragon Quest VI on the SNES as impressive for it's time. perhaps, but the rest of the games in the series excluding remakes, did not push their console hardware in any meaningful way.

They ruined their shot with that franchise....twice. It could have been something amazing.
Really don't get why the art style for WKC came out so generic looking and the story so weak. It was nothing like the PS3 reveal with realistic, heavy animated attacks and graphics. If they realized they couldn't achieve that, could have just went with NiNoKuNi art style.

Really loved the online mode in that game, felt like Phantasy Star was on the come back for a little bit there.

xevis

Banned
OK, did ANYONE like DQIX on Neogaf? Because by far I see more people deriding and spitting on the game. I know it was popular and was a critical success elsewhere (other DQ forums seem to enjoy it) but here everyone seems to think its this anti-thesis to Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest in general is way up high on my list of favourite things to play and IX has a special place among those; right at the front of the list.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fixed for reality

-See that DQ XI has been announced as a 3ds/iOS simultaneous release
-Looks nice for the platforms
-Is not currently planned for release outside jpn

OmegaDL50

Has it not gone on note that Horii has admitted that Dragon Quest XI is in developed for console, correct? He said this very thing in a recent interview no less?

I would temper your expectations folks.

L Thammy

The only main Dragon Quest game that never pushed its tech was DQ7 on PS1. DQ6 and DQ8 looked pretty amazing on their respective consoles compared to its competition at the time.

Are you talking graphics? Wouldn't II and III also be considered, in some part, graphically backwards from Dragon Quest I considering the loss of battle backgrounds? Although I realize that Dragon Quest I was pushing things because it didn't have the Disk System.

beril

The only main Dragon Quest game that never pushed its tech was DQ7 on PS1. DQ6 and DQ8 looked pretty amazing on their respective consoles compared to its competition at the time.

DQ7s visuals are really underappreciated and on a technical level it's easily on par with other PS1 RPGs and it perfectly channels the traditional Dragon Quest look.

I don't particularly like the sprite work but the 3D environments are actually pretty impressive; a lot of work has been put in to making everything a bit crooked and bumpy, rather than the normal lifeless perfectly flat polygons that you usually see.

OK, did ANYONE like DQIX on Neogaf? Because by far I see more people deriding and spitting on the game. I know it was popular and was a critical success elsewhere (other DQ forums seem to enjoy it) but here everyone seems to think its this anti-thesis to Dragon Quest.

OT: Sweet logo. Can't wait for the around 10 hours for this conference to start. Don't care what systems its on either as I trust the DQ guys to give a great DQ game.

I liked Dragon Quest IX. I put in a good 190 hours. It was a very unmemorable game to me though. I hardly remember any town names, scenarios, characters, or locales.

On the other hand, I remember just about everything about Dragon Quest VIII despite not having played it since 2008.

Not to say that they couldn't release a memorable Dragon Quest VIII-style game on a mobile, though (I loved all the DS remakes). I just think they would go the same route as DQIX with MP and generic characters/world map on 3DS.

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning regardless of platform.

Castef

Banned
I liked Dragon Quest IX. I put in a good 190 hours. It was a very unmemorable game to me though. I hardly remember any town names, scenarios, characters, or locales.

Dragon Quest IX is a bad JRPG.

It is boring, with a very bad difficulty curve (i.e. too easy all around), horrible plot and unremarkable characters.

120v

DQ7s visuals are really underappreciated and on a technical level it's easily on par with other PS1 RPGs and it perfectly channels the traditional Dragon Quest look.

IMO the game was fugly as hell

they may as well have just given it DQVI graphics. i know DQ was never a looker but i felt they didn't put any effort at all in that department

Kanann

Guys, we're missing the important question here.

In Search of Departed Time. In a theoretical localization, how are they going to turn that into an alliterative pun that will annoy at least 50% of everyone who reads it?

Edit:

DQ3 is considered the best JRPG of the NES era. It's a masterpiece.

Dargon Quest XI In Time and Traveler

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...cleId=1800199&bbsId=G003&itemId=5&pageIndex=1

One of the 2ch user that spoiled exact title name before actual logo leak says It's PS4 and 3DS multiplatform. Exactly same way as Level 5's Ni No kuni.

I'll still consider this as rumor, but... If that's true, it's good for both nintendo and sony user.

That would be pretty awesome if true. But, it seems like they would be pretty different games. I haven't played Ni No Kuni, how close are the PS3 and 3DS versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom