• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI logo (and Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner) leaked ahead of reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

I can believe this plausible rumor easily, just more surprised at the lack of a PS3 version.
But then again, the 3DS version will probably be the one pushed in Japan, and will probably also sell 2x more copies in the end.

edit: disagreed on the lack of localisation of the 3ds version. It's just that the PS4 version will probably be released first in the west, but I doubt many story or even textual elements will differ.

Mifune

Mehmber
If it's PS4 and 3DS then I think Square Enix is trying to hedge its bets globally. 3DS version is for Japan (and may or may not see release outside Japan) and PS4 is for the rest of the world.

It actually makes a lot of sense financially but man what a huge undertaking.

I don't think a 3DS version would get localized if this is true. And I really do think this is the best case scenario. PS4/PS3 would result in the PS4 version being a higher framerate/resolution version of the PS3 one but 3DS to PS4 won't really translate that well. It would have much more native assets built for the PS4.

Hope the PS4 version is real as I want this localized as per Verendus indications.

Not localizing the 3DS version would be absolutely ridiculous. There is clearly a market for JRPGs on the system.

Of course, I agree with you all, sadly.

Vena

PS4 and 3DS... they'd be completely different games. Also the 3DS version probably wouldn't even make it over here if that was the case.

PS4/3DS would probably work more in favor of PS4 than a PS4/PS3 release would which would basically be the same game, but different resolution and framerate.

DQ is an turn based RPG game, its not some high-octane spectacle game. There's really no reason to build two completely separate games (not to mention how ridiculous the budget would be).

The PS3 is within the same family and has a natural upgrade progression, 3DS is a handheld, lol. I don't see how it'd help a console. Just the same as 3DS Smash didn't somehow help Smash WiiU, it just made the release profitable and worthwhile rather than leaving such a high caliber franchise to rot on the WiiU in Japan.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Dragon quest is a turn based rpg, I don't see a 3ds version being much different than a console version beyond a shinier coat of paint on the console one

If they're truly utilizing the PS4 and building on the open world feel of DQVII, it'll be way more than a "shiny coat". It s boggling my mind that people truly think this has a chance of happening.

I don't expect any initial release of Dragon Quest XI to get localized. DQH will bomb, that's their test game, and we'll see no further push on international releases.

I'll just play it in Japanese so whatevs. :\

If they're truly utilizing the PS4 and building on the open world feel of DQVII, it'll be way more than a "shiny coat". It s boggling my mind that people truly think this has a chance of happening.

You're making a few assumptions there. I don't expect DQ XI to push the ps4 at all if it's on there. And 3DS already has stuff like DQ VII, VIII, and hell even a version of X on it. And we have no idea what the direction for XI will be

Vena

Ōkami;173160781 said:
Will there still be a market by the time this releases though?

If it releases early in 2016? Yes.

If it releases late in 2016? It will depend on how software rates go but the 3DS is still active for games as of right now.

If it release in 2017? It will be ported to the NX.

Boke1879

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...cleId=1800199&bbsId=G003&itemId=5&pageIndex=1

One of the 2ch user that spoiled exact title name before actual logo leak says It's PS4 and 3DS multiplatform. Exactly same way as Level 5's Ni No kuni.

I'll still consider this as rumor, but... If that's true, it's good for both nintendo and sony user.

If this is true then everyone is a winner. No doubt it'll find a home on consoles in the West while gaining huge sales on handhelds in Japan.

Mifune

Mehmber
In my world, best case is they pick a platform, whether it's PS4 or Wii U or 3DS, and just go for it. No splitting up the game development among two very different platforms. Then maybe port it somewhere else later. But I'm hoping they're focused on one version to start.

Arzehn

DQ is an turn based RPG game, its not some high-octane spectacle game. There's really no reason to build two completely separate games (not to mention how ridiculous the budget would be).

The PS3 is within the same family and has a natural upgrade progression, 3DS is a handheld, lol. I don't see how it'd help a console. Just the same as 3DS Smash didn't somehow help Smash WiiU, it just made the release profitable and worthwhile rather than leaving such a high caliber franchise to rot on the WiiU in Japan.

You're comparing a 3ds to WiiU sideview fighting game to a (likely) open world RPG 3ds vs ps4 game. I don't know, it sounds like a Ni No Kuni situation to me. I would not consider the ds and ps3 game the the same at all. The 3ds looks like it's struggling with just DQ8.

All of this is hypothetical of course. :p

Distinct 3DS/PS4 versions seems like an ideal scenario that makes everyone happy, so it must be false. It's also remarkably shrewd because I'm willing to bet one or both of those were made with a significant first party contribution.

I don't get this. If SE wanted to make money, they would make it just for 3DS, if they wanted to push Playstation, they would make it just for Playstation. Why waste the resources making two games?

That's quite interesting. PS4/3DS is kinda a weird combo due to the large power disparity. At the same time, though, it would be quite a smart business decision.

Elios83

Aahah lol seems like the perfect troll rumor to give hope to both sides and spur endless discussion until the actual announcement :p
It might be true but I'm not seeing it.
You either have a clear vision of the game you want to make and get the clear support of a console manufacturer or not.
Making different games on completely different platforms does not make a lot of sense to me.
But hey I own both a PS4 and a 3DS :p

Vena

You're comparing a 3ds to WiiU sideview fighting game to a (likely) open world RPG 3ds vs ps4 game. I don't know, it sounds like a Ni No Kuni situation to me. I would not consider the ds and ps3 game the the same at all. The 3ds looks like it's struggling with just DQ8.

All of this is hypothetical of course. :p

DQVIII is a bad example, its an enhanced port of a PS2 built game. Its going to run sub-optimally unless they rebuilt it (which they didn't). A better example is to look at YW, and see what they've been able to do with that rickety old hardware.

GeoramA

So the two biggest JRPG fanbases will be satisfied? That would be another brilliant move by SE. They're seriously killing it this gen.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nonetheless tomorrow is going to be hilarious. Hope springs eternal I guess.

Ōkami;173161810 said:
Maybe Dragon Quest XI will get its own console.

Maybe they made a special 3DS dock for the PS4 to import your 3DS save files. Hmmmm

Vena

what else would it be on? If it was also on PS3, that wasn't coming to the West anyways.

The 3DS is considerably larger an install base at the moment the world over, and an active RPG base with active software uptake.

Both versions would do well abroad, the PS4 furthers that growth to a sector of the market that the 3DS doesn't reach. The 3DS itself shores up Japan, and the still rather noticeable handheld market.

Of course, SE won't localize the 3DS games because... reasons?

xaszatm

Banned
On one hand, older Dragon Quest games imply that a 3DS version (if existed on both 3DS and PS4) would not be brought over. On the other hand, I'm almost positive that Nintendo would foot the entire localization bill themselves to bring it over to help the platform. So honestly, I think it could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom