• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Quest coming to Vita this year. F2P 2D Online RPG.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, I actually just posted a desire for something like this in the "What do you want for Vita from E3?" a few days ago:

Myself said:
Pipedreams:
  • A Vita-focused Dragon's Dogma side-story! With bonus "why the hell not?" Lost Planet boss battles and weapon sets, just for fun.

By 2D, my dream would be for the battles to play out like a Tales of / Beat em Up Hybrid, but that might be expecting too much.

Either way, as long as this gets a US release, I'm quite happy with the idea. Capcom bringing something new to Vita, It expands on a franchise I've really enjoyed, and the F2P angle hopefully means it'll have an easy time gaining some community. Really hope to see screenshots soon!

Even if it ends up more like a "Traditional RPG" in style... I hope that it'll be Kinda Breath Of Fire-like, then! This is the closest Capcom has been to that game's genre and gameplay in years, really... If in-app purchases lead to Breath of Fire costumes, weps, or classes in the game, then I know what I'll be fighting towards...

Shocked would be too strong a word, but I'm pretty surprised by this.

I figured SE was completely done with Vita (aside from FFX), and they announced an F2P game.

I (and most others here) were completely certain Capcom was completely done with Vita, and they announced an F2P game.

Konami and Western third parties next?

Revan

This is not the DD Vita I was looking for, hoping for or even wanted.

Oh well.

*hopes Deep Down turns into DD2

ironcreed

Banned
Could be neat. It's looking more and more like I am going to have to get over my disdain for handheld gaming and eventually buy a Vita. It is getting some games I really want to play.

duckroll

Multiplayer traditional JRPGs are incredibly fun and not all that common, so I'm actually pretty excited about this! Hopefully a "real" DD will happen at some point for Vita as well.

I don't know if there's actual multiplayer here though. It's an online game, but it doesn't sound like there's actual multiplayer where you fight together with friends. Remember, Dragon's Dogma didn't have multiplayer either!

Aurizen

I wanna see some screen shots, this 2-D thing has got me a bit skeptical, but I hope to see this in the US, because the US seriously lacks F2P games!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I want this to be good. I want it so hard...

Such good shit. Hope there is real multi..I know at least 3 people that would go nuts on this with me if it pulls enough of.the right strings...

I figured SE was completely done with Vita (aside from FFX), and they announced an F2P game.

I (and most others here) were completely certain Capcom was completely done with Vita, and they announced an F2P game.

Square announced a Vita F2P game? Did I miss something?

Also, I wonder if this game is going to have connectivity with Deep Down...

Kyon

Banned

Hun after EVERYTHING you're still doubting ViTsus ChrisT and her power?
The march 2014 end production/support prediction is not happening.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

I missed this announcement. Which game was it?

And honestly, F2P spin-offs of your weaker IPs aren't the strongest votes of confidence as opposed to, say, mainline entries of your strongest. But at this point, beggars can't be choosers.

duckroll

Anyone catch this?

Brought this up in the Sony E3 conference thread.

Quote from Yoshida seems to say Or Dragon Quest for short...

This related? Is he trolling with DRM and now this? haha.

I'm sure it's related, but he's just making a joke while teasing it.

hackdog

Banned
original

Zee-Row

Banned
LOL I was expecting a Dragon Quest clone based on Dragons Dogma. I'm glad Capcom is still making Vita games though.

Square announced a Vita F2P game? Did I miss something?

Also, I wonder if this game is going to have connectivity with Deep Down...

Million Arthur. It was released in Japan back in April.

Hun after EVERYTHING you're still doubting ViTsus ChrisT and her power?
The march 2014 end production/support prediction is not happening.

It's May 2014. And when and if a resurrection actually looks to be happening, I'll be more than willing to reevaluate that, but back to the topic at hand.

jimmypython

I don't think 2D means sidescrolling. I haven't read any indication of the actual presentation style the game uses so far, but based on what has been said, I think it's more likely to be a top down 2D RPG. The description of the battles in the game also don't sound action based at all. The player levels up by issuing commands to the pawns, not by fighting himself. There is a lot more focus on tactics than on action supposedly. It's supposed to be a party based battle system which captures the part of Dragon's Dogma where the player can plan and attempt various tactics against an enemy by judging the appearance of the enemy. That's what the Japanese blogs say.

The Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes style?

Takao

Banned

Konami just announced an F2P Power Pros card game for PS3/Vita today. Big K still has nothing for Wii U.

duckroll

Some additional details:

- The executive director is Hideaki Itsuno, and the director is Masanori Komine.

- The game takes place in the Kingdom of Latavia, seems like its not in the same region as the console game.

- The pawns in the game are more like collectibles this time round. There are over 150 different jobs they can have, and some of the jobs are rare. The strategy in the game involves building a party and effectively using the right job for the right enemies. They also have their own illustrations. Sounds like cards imo.

- The Arisen in this game doesn't have a job and doesn't participate in combat, but you give instructions to the pawns who fight for you instead. The Arisen still has a level, and that determines the party's HP and so on.

- The interview in the mag also confirms that the game uses item microtransactions as the f2p model. If you don't want to spent too much time playing the game, you can buy stuff to make progress for faster instead. Sounds typical.

- The game is 50% complete.

Man the f2p salt is coming hard on me this week, it's eating into my E3 reservoir.

I thought I recovered a bit from PvZ2 and then DD on Vita, BAM right in the feels.

To be fair let's see what the game actually IS and looks like, AND if we get it in the West. But f2p is such a sour thing to me personally, I can't help it.

Capcom supporting Vita is certainly something to note.

Top Bottom