• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Quest coming to Vita this year. F2P 2D Online RPG.

Sylver

Banned
This won't sell well... then crapcom will say it's Vita's fault... so no great future for Vita by capcom. :(
Release SF4: AE MAX with some new character like Asura Wrath capcom.

Kyon

Banned
This won't sell well... then crapcom will say it's Vita's fault... so no great future for Vita by capcom. :(
Release SF4: AE MAX with some new character like Asura Wrath capcom.

It can't "sell" it's F2P.

Micro transactions= free moneyz

Anteater

Not interested if it's not action. I would be all over a D&D sidescroller though.

edit: actually from reading the additional info, it doesn't sound too bad, will see how it looks

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well not the dd i expected but the f2p vita games are good, i'm curious.
I'm still waiting for pso2, picotto knights and samurai & dragons localizations :(

Well so far the only f2p models that I have seen truly work are for online games so I have some hope this might be fine. Could be terrible of course. Hopefully just a lot of customisation options for real money and main game is left intact.

Could be pretty interesting though.

Kyoufu

Didn't expect a proper DD game on Vita. They couldn't get it running on PS360 without performance issues so I had no hopes for a Vita version.

I will play this game!

Eusis

I'm expecting it to be a pay to win game.
Yeah, for a pay game "pay to not spend a lot of time" usually means "pay for god mode", but in F2P it literally is about not wasting time. Then it usually comes off to me as a complete waste: what's REALLY the point of playing if the base gameplay isn't really all that fun and any real progress is made by spending lots of money?

I really do hope it's a model that either stabilizes in forms that don't inherently undermine games, or just completely collapses.

... I do kind of wish this were really just a DQ knock off (or even collaboration?) set in the Dragon's Dogma world though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Some additional details:

- The executive director is Hideaki Itsuno, and the director is Masanori Komine.

- The game takes place in the Kingdom of Latavia, seems like its not in the same region as the console game.

- The pawns in the game are more like collectibles this time round. There are over 150 different jobs they can have, and some of the jobs are rare. The strategy in the game involves building a party and effectively using the right job for the right enemies. They also have their own illustrations. Sounds like cards imo.

- The Arisen in this game doesn't have a job and doesn't participate in combat, but you give instructions to the pawns who fight for you instead. The Arisen still has a level, and that determines the party's HP and so on.

- The interview in the mag also confirms that the game uses item microtransactions as the f2p model. If you don't want to spent too much time playing the game, you can buy stuff to make progress for faster instead. Sounds typical.

- The game is 50% complete.

It probably has collectible characters(=jobs) represented by cards, but i think that battles will be sprite based, give the orders at the beginning(and maybe in the middle) of the battle and then see how the battle ends, something like generation of chaos battles.

Drencrom

The rumour about Deep Down aka Dragon's Dogma 2 being exclusive for PS4 and Yoshinori not saying if DD will be on Xbone makes a bit more sense now.

Gammacide

I'm really hoping this is a sign they plan to tie into DD, the rumored PS4 exclusive (whether Deep Down or Dragon's Dogma 2) where you can transfer pawn experience and such from these battles to the real game on PS4. We'll see though. I'm hoping it'll at last *look* like old-school Dragon's Quest. :)

It's nice that Capcom is finally paying attention to the Vita, but man a scaled down Dragon's Dogma would have been a much bigger deal than a F2P 2D RPG.

Based on all the information so far, it seems like this is a game they were working on for mobile platforms, but decided to release on Vita first to squeeze out whatever money they can there.

BadWolf

I'm interested if its good 2D, would just be in for the free part though.

Wonder if Sony asked Capcom for something that could be developed quickly and this was the result, no way they would have been able to aim it for this year if it was a traditional DD game (that wasn't a port).

duckroll

Based on all the information so far, it seems like this is a game they were working on for mobile platforms, but decided to release on Vita first to squeeze out whatever money they can there.

That doesn't make any sense. There has to be some reason they decided to put it on the Vita instead of iOS and Android, because it's still a F2P game, and you don't make more money in F2P by releasing it on a user-constrained platform "first". That's the opposite of how F2P revenue works. If they wanted to "squeeze out whatever money they can there" first, they would be releasing this as a 3800yen DL game or something.

That doesn't make any sense. There has to be some reason they decided to put it on the Vita instead of iOS and Android, because it's still a F2P game, and you don't make more money in F2P by releasing it on a user-constrained platform "first". That's the opposite of how F2P revenue works. If they wanted to "squeeze out whatever money they can there" first, they would be releasing this as a 3800yen DL game or something.

I would guess that this is incentivized by SCEJA as part of some newish F2P gaming initiative. I'm not sure it makes too much sense, either, but at least it sounds like a pretty low-risk project.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/06034348.html

Here it is! Pawns definitely look like Cards to me. No "gameplay" screens apparently. The wait continues. Lol.

j3GqrFK.jpg

DDHqS5H.jpg

Revan

Looks like a turn based card game (based on the famitsu scans).

I think the only way I'd play this is if the gameplay was a la Metal Gear Acid.

Capcom, I am disappoint.

Ferr986

Seems like some characters of the original return. Will this be "canon"? because...

There cant be another Arisen if you break the cicle, right? And the last Arisen before you was the duke.

friz898

I don't have faith this is going to turn out to be anything worthy of the Dragon's Dogma name.

However.

I really hope it does. Really Really.

That being said, Vita Fall is looking good for me. FFX, Dragon's Crown, Ys, Batman..

Top Bottom