• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dream of one game localization no one else here would take as their pick

livealive.jpg

Always wanted to play this.
Pretty sure this was fan translated a couple years ago.

I own Venus and Braves for the PS2 (which would thus be my preferred version as my PSP is gathering dust somewhere...) and although I played a fair way into it it's not really worth it without really understanding much of the story, and it was too slow going with a dictionary in hand.

It's a fun strategy RPG but very much not in the traditional Tactics Ogre-esque mould - you plan your battle entirely beforehand and there's no real movement save rotating your squad in a turn; it's all about how you plan out your unit placement beforehand.

That coupled with the Gestalt system for relationship management and an interesting storyline makes it good fun to play. Alas, it was 2D and niche - and spiritually a sequel to the also untranslated Seven: Molmoth's Cavalry - so never made it here.

The team behind it went on to make Fragile, which I never really got on that well with and should revisit someday; I think they're disbanded now, or at least absorbed elsewhere into the Bamco monolith.

I came in this thread with the intent of saying this, but you beat me to the punch. I own the PSP version of this game and intend to play it eventually, but as you say it's difficult with limited Japanese knowledge.

So instead I'll offer Infinite Loop for the PSP, a VN from Nippon Ichi. Its basic framework (you possess souls while working through a time loop to unravel the mystery of your death) was reused for Disgaea Infinite, which we did get in English because it's Disgaea, but it was kind of watered down and I'd really like to go through the original with its medieval setting.

Edit: Here's an old thread which does a good job of explaining what Infinite Loop is like.

Rockman EXE 4.5 Real Operation

61239_back.jpg

gfs_55626_2_18.jpg

Rockman_EXE_4.5_-_Real_Operation_(Japan)1.PNG

Somewhat based on the 4th game, with an accessory that allowed you to use real chips along with ones you collect in-game. Your Navi was AI controlled while you used tactics, and events in the world were based on a real-time clock. Growing up with MMBN being my favourite series, this was the dream. I did play it and it was alright, but the language barrier and emulation issues with the clock were a problem. I'd love to play it with the accessories and a complete set of chips.

JC Lately

Not just the second one; the whole series. Censor out the nudity if you must (in fact, I think you'd have to), I don't care. I just want raise cute anime girls from a homeless orphan to the most powerful person in the realm.

My absolute first choice is Shin kamaitachi no Yoru(night of the true kamaitachi or banshee's last cry), it's like a serious danganronpa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-LNH4XZV4
203845_front.jpg

But there's a lot more i would like to get, on vita and psp.

EDIT:
some gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQZ2kgwgxI

That's the fourth game in the Kamaitachi No Yoru series, right?

Always thought it was interesting (with how one of the games has the previous game's writer as a main character).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Not just the second one; the whole series. Censor out the nudity if you must, I don't care. I just want raise cute anime girls from a homeless orphan to the most powerful person in the realm.

Princess maker 2 is already localized(maybe that's exactly what you were saying? lol)
img-13.png

That's the fourth game in the Kamaitachi No Yoru series, right?

Always thought it was interesting (with how one of the games has the previous game's writer as a main character).
I don't know the series, but i played the japanese demo and despite not understanding a single word i thought it had the potential of being an awesome game.

sublimit

Banned
Hence, I went with:

155499_front.jpg

Wasn't that well received, yet I'd still love to play an English version of it. I do own the JP import so one day I'll fumble my way through it somehow.

Otherwise, my answer would be the Boku no Natsuyasumi games, even though there are others here who would pick them I'm sure. I own all the games, and I'm learning the language, so hopefully one day I'll be able to play them and understand what's going on, but for now I still can't help but deeply wish they'd gotten the localisation treatment.

Boku 1 (PS1)
2488445-7.png

Boku 2 (PS2)
qvY8fZD.png

Boku 3 (PS3)
508667-boku_no_natsuyasumi_3__34_.jpg

Boku 4 (PSP)
1078768-bnn4_01.jpg

These were going to be my choices as well.

Baliis

So instead I'll offer Infinite Loop for the PSP, a VN from Nippon Ichi. Its basic framework (you possess souls while working through a time loop to unravel the mystery of your death) was reused for Disgaea Infinite, which we did get in English because it's Disgaea, but it was kind of watered down and I'd really like to go through the original with its medieval setting.

Edit: Here's an old thread which does a good job of explaining what Infinite Loop is like.

That sounds fantastic

I already see Captain Rainbow, Fate Extra CCC and Princess Crown mentioned, so lets go with this:

bpn9oZ6.png

Amagami. The anime was fairly enjoyable so I'd like to try the VN, but it only got a Vita, PS2 and PSP release so none of the VN publishers (like Sekai) are going to pick it up, and the fan translation is dead too.

Goichi Suda's work prior to Killer7 & Flower, Sun & Rain

Twilight Syndrome (PSX) (Both Search and Investigation)

twilightsyndrome01b.jpg

Moonlight Syndrome (PSX) - Another game in the Syndrome saga. These are essentially Suda's take on Clock Tower. He made these games at Human Entertainment, the developers of Clock Tower.

KiyvM8k.jpg

35093_back.jpg

The Silver Case (PSX) - The direct prequel to Goichi Suda's Flower, Sun & Rain. We've honestly been getting the Kill The Past saga backwards. lol.
silverjapan07.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I still hope Suda lives up to his promise on releasing this in English one day since Flower, Sun & Rain is one of my favourite games of all time and I love killer7 too.

Shin Hayarigami (Vita/PS3) - Still annoyed with NIS for not localizing this after promising we'd get more visual novels...

shin-hayarigami-360167.9.jpg

Growlanser (PSX/PSP) - It huuuurts. Why, Atlus? Seriously though, I get it, they don't sell, but damn, this game looked great and it's one of my favourite RPG series out there.

Goemon games on the SNES, PSX and DS. We never did get enough Goemon games. It's a shame. Next to Metal Gear as my favourite Konami series ever, no doubt.

Arcturus, a Korean JRPG which had some influence on Falcom's own games afterward (they localized it for Japan during Trails in the Sky's development arc).

Linda Cube Again. There's a fan translation in the works at least but it seems like progress has stopped.
Another translator's gotten to work on this, last I checked the romhacking.net thread.

JC Lately

Princess maker 2 is already localized(maybe that's exactly what you were saying? lol)
img-13.png

I don't know the series, but i played the japanese demo and despite not understanding a single word i thought it had the potential of being an awesome game.

Localization for PM2 was started, but the translation company went under before release. This unreleased ROM soon made its way to the Internet and the rest is history.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Nora and the Time Studio: The Witch of the Misty Forest

Atlus + GUST

8BdmAfO.jpg

niche game coming out after the 3DS launched had no chance. =(

Still waiting for a fan translation. It has to happen some year, I just know it.

Still waiting on Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness, too.

FrontMission2089BorderOfMadness_CoverArt.jpg

The Ryo Digimon games for Wonderswan. These have been my holy grail for probably 15 years.

This has been one of my top picks for years. I'd love to get to play this in English.

My 3 picks:

I'm more than happy with the quality of Re:Digitize's fan translation, but I do hope to get English versions of Adventure and Decode some day. Decode is really just a matter of the technology getting caught up.

I came in this thread with the intent of saying this, but you beat me to the punch. I own the PSP version of this game and intend to play it eventually, but as you say it's difficult with limited Japanese knowledge.

It hurts, guys

Stahp

Edit: misquoted, yugiohnoooooo.gif

Goichi Suda's work prior to Killer7 & Flower, Sun & Rain

Twilight Syndrome (PSX) (Both Search and Investigation)

twilightsyndrome01b.jpg

Moonlight Syndrome (PSX) - Another game in the Syndrome saga. These are essentially Suda's take on Clock Tower. He made these games at Human Entertainment, the developers of Clock Tower.

KiyvM8k.jpg

35093_back.jpg

The Silver Case (PSX) - The direct prequel to Goichi Suda's Flower, Sun & Rain. We've honestly been getting the Kill The Past saga backwards. lol.
silverjapan07.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I still hope Suda lives up to his promise on releasing this in English one day since Flower, Sun & Rain is one of my favourite games of all time and I love killer7 too.

Shin Hayarigami (Vita/PS3) - Still annoyed with NIS for not localizing this after promising we'd get more visual novels...

shin-hayarigami-360167.9.jpg

Bakkus

Along with Captain Rainbow I want Skip's other Japan only game Giftpia translated aswell.

Most of the games mentioned in this thread has fan translations which are better than most official translators could do so why not just play those?

Moryou Senki Madara 2 for Super Famicom. I remember AGTP translation group said they were progressing, but that update was in 08' and it says it's still stuck at 60%. Incredibly lush soundtrack and cool realistic-looking characters when the norm on Super Famicom was SD. Combat system was super fast and had a neat auto-battle feature. It even has weather in the the overworld that changes. I bet I'm one of the only fans of this game here lol

But yeah Music is SNES Konami at it's finest, with compositions by...

Tappi Iwase
Miki Higashino
Hirofumi Taniguchi
Aki Hata

Ilvocare

I don't think NO ONE would want these localized, but judging by GAF I assume they're not really enjoyed. Regardless, I need more SRW games brought stateside, specifically the OG games, since those don't have the HUGE licensing issues bringing over the crossover continuity games presents. If I had to pick a single game, it'd be SRWOG Endless Frontier EXCEED. We got the first game and that was such a pleasant surprise for me I still go back to it every once in a while, but the sequel never made it over...

The runner ups would be OGs and 2nd OG, since the GBA games that were ACTUALLY brought over have been retconned and redone out of relevancy...

Roni

Gold Member
Without looking, I'll say Front Mission: Online. Missed out on it and I'd love a chance to play it. From what I remember, it only ever came out in Japan.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more than happy with the quality of Re:Digitize's fan translation, but I do hope to get English versions of Adventure and Decode some day. Decode is really just a matter of the technology getting caught up.

What's behind with the tech on the 3DS release?

Nachos

People already mentioned The Silver Case, Wachenroder, and Ihatovo Monogatari, so my choice would probably be one of these:

Serpentrion: Out of the Blue
Garage: Bad Dream Adventure
Yuuyami Doori Tankentai

Boktai 3...

It had to be finished, damn it!
There's been a fan translation out for years.

The doctor says, "Do you like pregnant girls?" Kei quickly answers, "Yes, I love them!"
hmmmmmmm
You know, as you do.

What's behind with the tech on the 3DS release?

Hacking tools, mostly, and emulation lacking some features. The team is working on it, but they're having to go slower because of things not being as advanced (which is why they're doing a Lost Evolution translation patch in the mean time).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hacking tools, mostly, and emulation lacking some features. The team is working on it, but they're having to go slower because of things not being as advanced (which is why they're doing a Lost Evolution translation patch in the mean time).

Oh you're still talking about fan translations. Since this was a localization topic, well I mean, I'd want it to actually be localized one day :/

Giftpia. I know some people say the game itself is not that good, but it has an appealing look, is suitably weird, and the OST is fantastic. I've never been bored by a skip Ltd. game, at the very least. Even made an appearance at E3 one year.

img3.jpg

giftpia_060203_11_460.jpg

That no one else would? Then Riglord Ssga 2.

vztyxLn.jpg

Ok. maybe Riglord Saga 2 or Feda on the saturn? I haven't met many other people who loved Mysteria realms of lore enough to want to see the sequel. I have the saturn versions of both wachenroder and black matrix just in cae lol

Well I guess we were both wrong lol

What was the name of the first one again when it came out here?

Mysteria Realms of Lore. And also Blazing Heroes for some reason

My pick is Super Robot Wars Alpha 3. It's a perfect pick for this thread because 80% of GAF doesn't give a crap about SWR, and the 20% that does would consider it an obvious choice and therefore avoid picking it.

Princess Crown - Sega Saturn

https://youtu.be/yIV2JqC37dk

It's the pre-cursor to Odin Sphere and VanillaWare in general.

A port to any system would be welcome, but it's too much to ask to port and translate :(

There's a port of it for the PSP (in Japanese only, sadly).

DreamMix TV World Fighters

Yes that is Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Twinbee, Optimus Prime, Fang the Wolf, the kid from Beyblade, Master Higgins and Optimus Prime on the cover. The game also has characters like Solid Snake, a moai head from Parodius, and Megatron.

It's a multiplayer platform fighter like Smash Bros and Playstation All-Stars. I have no clue if it is good or not but I'd love to play it.

It's not. Like, at all. Sorry, or perhaps congratulations on not really missing anything worthwhile.

Top Bottom