• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast is dead and buried

sky

Now I'm inspired to dust off my DC for some gaming goodness... thread backfired total!

do you know where I can find any sailors?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DCharlie said:
fell to the PC?

you mean the MEGADRIVE!

AND NOW I SEE THROUGH YOUR HATE CAMPAIGN!!! THE HEATHEN MUST DIE!!!

don't ban me , i was a huge amiga whore as well!

nice, I remember the screenshot comparisons between the amiga and megadrive versions of Star Control II.

Boerseun

Banned
Dreamcast was never officially available over here, so I only got mine (and it's a Japanese model) something like two weeks ago. I don't have any games yet though , as recently I've been concentrating more on building a decent N64 collection.

A friend of mine got his in the mail this morning and already has a small but impressive collection going. I'm going over to his place for a DC jam tonight. I can't wait!!

teiresias

I just hooked my Dreamcast back up to my bedroom TV a few weeks ago and played some Phantasy Star Online (offline obviously, hehe), and threw in Grandia 2 for a spin. I actually have a few DC games I never quite finished - like Ecco and Jet Set Radio that I suppose I should try and finish while I have it hooked up. Unfortunately, games such as Okami and the upcoming FFXII, and then, of course, the PS3 and Wii launches are putting a major crunch on gaming time.

Second greatest....no wait, third greatest console ever. Short lifespan gives it its status, kind of like great rock stars who die before their time. Image what the dreamcast golden years would have been like.

D-X

Don't Doubt Dreamcast

dreamcast.jpg

Jefklak

D-X said:
Don't Doubt Dreamcast

*pic*

lol
SA & headhunters suck
worms, rayman 2, mdk2, quake 3, unreal tournament = PC
crazy taxi, chu chu rocket, grandia, soul calibur, RE, virtua tennis, fighters = other consoles too
leaves us with... skies of arcadia. Ported to GC, problem solved

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
There's still gonna be shooters ported to the Dreamcast like 10 years down the line... believe.

I absolutely loved the Dreamcast. Some of the most fun I've ever had with a game system. Great 2D titles, and for the first time ever, 3D graphics that didn't suck. Though I would think it would be a bit more special in my mind if games like Grandia 2 and SOA stayed on the system. 480p Rez > jaggy 60FPS Rez. Can't wait for the Segagaga translation to wrap up! NEVAR FORGET.

D-X

Jefklak said:
lol
SA & headhunters suck
crazy taxi, chu chu rocket, grandia, soul calibur, RE, virtua tennis, fighters = other consoles too

That's like saying the PS2 version of MGS2 is irrelevant because it was ported to XBox

Jefklak

D-X said:
That's like saying the PS2 version of MGS2 is irrelevant because it was ported to XBox

That's right, what, are you going to buy a PS2 for MGS2 if you only own an xbox and it's ported to your favo console? No of course not.

At the risk of posting a serious question in this thread, what is the current state of DC emulation? Are games playable?

The DC is the last thing to toss in the closet now that everything is backwards compatible. As soon as DC emulation is up to speed at least.

jarrod

Banned
pilonv1 said:
As if your tag wasn't proof enough you were insane.
I'd say recognising Dreamcast's mediocrity is a sign of sanity around here. It can't touch truly great SEGA platforms like MegaDrive or Saturn, a lot of which has to do with Sonic Team and AM2's dramatic downfalls on the platform though. New studios like UGA and Smilebit did some neat stuff on the platform, but not nearly enough to make up for the heavyweights stumbling... it reminds me a lot of EAD on GameCube actually. And funny enough, it was Capcom being the one to single handedly make both platforms (briefly) worth owning. ;)

Quite easily the worst console SEGA's ever birthed. Thank god they're finally back on track (minus Sonic Team obviously).

bishoptl said:
seriously, I see a jillion posts from the same wankers who were all up in Sega's butt in 2000 bitching about PS2 on a regular basis and it's like 'HEY GIVE IT UP ALREADY IT'S OVER' but nope, y'all keep fighting the good fight and railing against the darkness without realizing that everybody else left the party and went elsewhere for their gaming.

the same people, SIX YEARS LATER STILL BITCHING I mean yeah, I was pissed when the Amiga eventually fell to the PC but that's alright, technology moves on. You guys? Christ almighty

it's over

AMEN

I used to be a Sega and Nintendo fan but I moved on and I don't even care anymore. Sega was stupid did huge mistakes and they paid for it. On the other hand you have these bitter, BITTER fanboys still pissed off at Sony trying all day long to say something bad to make them look bad and fight the good fight agaist the devil machines (PS3 and PSP) and why? Because Sony was there in the final hours of DC when Sega ****ed up for the last time. If it wasn't Sony it would be someone else. Get over it for god's sake, it's pathetic.

Jefklak said:
lol
SA & headhunters suck

Ports != better

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jefklak said:
lol
SA & headhunters suck

VF 3, Jet Set, Chu Chu, Sega Rally 2, Get Bass/Sega Bass Fishing, Bangai-O, and Shenmue are not available elsewhere... if you're trying to count that horrible GBA version of Chu Chu then that's just lame. Then there's plenty of other DC only games.

Oh, I don't count those PC ports of sega arcade games either.

Most overrated console ever.

One of the worst controllers since the NES.

Graphics which, while supporters claimed were nearly PS2 quality, looked kinda lame.

But neither of those is that damning, just annoying. WHat killed it-- lame library. Despite all the accolades, the games released on DC (in the US, anyway) were pretty damned uninspiring. Mostly, more of the same from Saturn/PS/N64 with nicer graphics.

D-X

Ignatz Mouse said:
the games released on DC (in the US, anyway) were pretty damned uninspiring.

Uninspiring? Are you joking?

Jet Set Radio
Shenmue
Seaman
Rez
Space Channel 5

Jet Set Radio
Shenmue
Seaman
Rez
Space Channel 5

Jet Set-- semi-inspiring, but not that great a game in practice.
Shenmue-- ambitious, but execution lacking. Uninspiring except as a failed experiment
Seamna-- uninspiring.
Rez-- great game. Niche, but my kind of niche
SPace Channel 5-- uninspiring. Another rhythm game, late to the party.

Chu Chu Rocket is more inspired than all of those. It's my counterexample of choice.

I had a DC from launch, and I tried hard to like it. It wasn't like it had no good games, but it really didn't have anything that made me love it.
Once I was done with Chu Chu and Soul Calibur, I hardly touched it. Rez: I didn't discover that until later, on PS. 1 good puzzler and 2 standout games do not a system make-- especially when those two are a fighter and a shooter, which havew limited lifespans as single-player games.

BuddyC

Pureauthor said:
Soul Calibur & Typing of the Dead. <3
Typing of the Dead and the Dreamcast keyboards are so ridiculously cheap right now, I was able to find a copy of the game and an extra keyboard for less than $20 total. Such good times.

Pimpwerx

Dreamcast is with Jesus in heaven. Good riddance. Sega sucked. Only now that they're multiplatform has this come to be accepted. PEACE.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Man, what?!

So many haters for one system. Amazing.

Its the only system that I can play the shooters Under Defeat, Gigawing 2, and Radirgy.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 costs 50+ dollars on the PS2 and Xbox. Its less expensive, and is more accurate to the arcade version on Dreamcast.

Jet Set Radio, Shen Mue, and Red Dog are all exclusive to the Dreamcast.

Some of the best versions of games, like Bangaioh, Rush 2049, and Rayman 2 are on Dreamcast.

My favorite tennis game, Tennis 2k2, is only on Dreamcast.

I can play all of the games that I've mentioned on my 20'' monitor in 480p.

I haven't even said anything about being able to play Typing of the Dead 2 player (unlike the PC), all the Street Fighter Zero 3, MvsC 2, and Soul Calibur Tournaments I've had on DC.

Yes, I know that most of the games that I enjoyed, MDK2, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, etc., have been ported. That doesn't mean that the DC doesn't have any decent exclusive content, or that the games are any less fun.

... And Lure of the Temptress on the Amiga got me into computer gaming. Seriously.

ToxicAdam

Ignatz Mouse said:
Most overrated console ever.

One of the worst controllers since the NES.

Graphics which, while supporters claimed were nearly PS2 quality, looked kinda lame.

But neither of those is that damning, just annoying. WHat killed it-- lame library. Despite all the accolades, the games released on DC (in the US, anyway) were pretty damned uninspiring. Mostly, more of the same from Saturn/PS/N64 with nicer graphics.

GREAT POST.

It's true, but I don't begrudge anyone that claims to love the system. Everyone has different tastes.

It just seems that some posters still have that anti-Sony bias because of the death of the DC. As if Sony is to blame for all of Sega's horrible decisions and blunders over a 8 year period (94-02). Wierd.

dbish

scissorfight said:
At the risk of posting a serious question in this thread, what is the current state of DC emulation? Are games playable?

The DC is the last thing to toss in the closet now that everything is backwards compatible. As soon as DC emulation is up to speed at least.

Emulation is "up to speed." As long as your computer can handle it, Chankast runs games at near 100%. You just have to pop the DC game in your PC.

Not sure if I can link to sites due to TOS, but it shouldn't be hard to find. There are plenty of Dreamcast homebrew sites out there.

As to the original topic, Dreamcast kicks ass. I (admittedly) picked mine up late (just last summer) but I've been able to amass a rather large library VERY cheaply. I picked up controllers and VMU's for $1 a pop at GameRush's, and I found Sonic Adventure and Typing there for $1 each as well. Keyboards were $10 online, and Typing of the Dead has quickly become the "I need something to do now that I'm drunk" game with my friends. Other notables include Jet Set Radio (incredible game) that I got new for $5, GunBird 2 (fun little shooter) I got for $10 new and Soul Calibur (only fighter other than Street Fighter 2 Turbo I ever got into) for around $10.

For me, nothing beats the value I got out of my DC. Even if I had paid full price, I would consider most of my DC library worth it. To all the haters, have you even played these games?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I blame Dreamcast's demise on Sega's poor financial management and slow responsiveness to their competitor's efforts. Electronic Arts did not support the Dreamcast because they felt it was risky to support a company that was deep in the red like Sega was. As much as I liked NFL2K, I distinctly remember the lack of EA's support as being a major reason people avoided the Dreamcast. When I purchased my first PS2, probably the main reason was so I could play my favorite games from the original Playstation and I really wanted to play the many EA Sports games I had grown to love on the Genesis. I never was so thick that I blamed Sony for Sega's mistakes. Anyone who does so really needs to go outside and get away from the internet.

However, I fondly remember the launch of the Dreamcast and truly enjoyed the system throughout its short lifespan. Soul Calibur, NFL2K, and later Quake III were just a few of the great games on the system. I have never regretted getting caught up in the 9/9/99 pre-launch hype, and I have never regretted spending money on the system. While I think it is deconstructive to blame Sony for the Dreamcast's failure, I don't think it is necessary to give people carte blanche to troll a system.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ignatz Mouse said:
Jet Set Radio
Shenmue
Seaman
Rez
Space Channel 5

Jet Set-- semi-inspiring, but not that great a game in practice.
Shenmue-- ambitious, but execution lacking. Uninspiring except as a failed experiment
Seamna-- uninspiring.
Rez-- great game. Niche, but my kind of niche
SPace Channel 5-- uninspiring. Another rhythm game, late to the party.

Chu Chu Rocket is more inspired than all of those. It's my counterexample of choice.

I had a DC from launch, and I tried hard to like it. It wasn't like it had no good games, but it really didn't have anything that made me love it.
Once I was done with Chu Chu and Soul Calibur, I hardly touched it. Rez: I didn't discover that until later, on PS. 1 good puzzler and 2 standout games do not a system make-- especially when those two are a fighter and a shooter, which havew limited lifespans as single-player games.
As a PSP fan, you should be able to gather some empathy at the very least. :p

Diablos

bishoptl said:
seriously, I see a jillion posts from the same wankers who were all up in Sega's butt in 2000 bitching about PS2 on a regular basis and it's like 'HEY GIVE IT UP ALREADY IT'S OVER' but nope, y'all keep fighting the good fight and railing against the darkness without realizing that everybody else left the party and went elsewhere for their gaming.

the same people, SIX YEARS LATER STILL BITCHING I mean yeah, I was pissed when the Amiga eventually fell to the PC but that's alright, technology moves on. You guys? Christ almighty

it's over
:lol

jarrod

Banned
elostyle said:
As a PSP fan, you should be able to gather some empathy at the very least. :p
Zing!

Though really, even PSP has a more rounded, more engaging library than Dreamcast. That says something...

dbish said:
Emulation is "up to speed." As long as your computer can handle it, Chankast runs games at near 100%. You just have to pop the DC game in your PC.

Not sure if I can link to sites due to TOS, but it shouldn't be hard to find. There are plenty of Dreamcast homebrew sites out there.
Thanks, I'll check out Chankast. If compatability is decent I can finally put away my DC.

Top Bottom