• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast is dead and buried

jarrod

Banned
I don't fault Dreamcast's fantastic arcade port lineup... I fault it's comparably lacking consumer focused lineup. Truely great platforms like NES, PC Engine, Sega Saturn or PlayStation 2 had a nice mix of both, Dreamcast didn't.

You'd basically be nearly as well suited just having a Naomi GD-ROM cab. :p

Striek

DC had a very poor library even at the time. Most of the titles coveted are B or C games glorified for the most pitiful reasons.

A solid system for shooters, but very unappealing for everything else. The most overrated library ever.

But for the system with the most vocal support, its hardly surprising that its never been honestly evaluated.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Striek said:
DC had a very poor library even at the time. Most of the titles coveted are B or C games glorified for the most pitiful reasons.

A solid system for shooters, but very unappealing for everything else. The most overrated library ever.

But for the system with the most vocal support, its hardly surprising that its never been honestly evaluated.

It was a nice library for the short time it was around. For about six months there, there seemed to be 3-5 great games coming out for the system every month. Now a few of those were later ported or became watered-down in later incarnations on other systems, but that doesn't change the fact that they were very fun and often great games at the time, which is all that really matters (though people always seem to lose sight of that, see: "ports" argument).

At the very least, as someone else said, it was a good "stop-gap" system that had a lot of quality titles, many of which went bargain bin fast (e.g., Virtua Tennis, JSR), and it had really astounding online implementation for the time (e.g., NFL 2K1, PSO).

For some reason people on both sides seem to get really passionate about the DC. Even those who say "oh it sucked who cares" tend to be just as hyperbolic as the oft-mocked superfans of the system in supporting their positions. It's kind of funny how rare it is to see a reasonable evaluation of the system even years later.

Striek

Ah, Astrolad, you may have misinterpreted my comments.

The games that came out on DC and are fondly remembers were universally decent-to-great games, but they amount to a fraction of what would be considered a good library on another console, none would constitute 'AAA', were severely lacking in most genres, and do not live up to the praise piled upon it.

There simply wasn't enough games, and there was an utter dearth of AAA games. I like the DC, it had promise. But it having a good library is as much in error as it having competitive graphics. Every games worthiness was simply magnified.

DCharlie

Banned
But it having a good library is as much in error as it having competitive graphics. Every games worthiness was simply magnified.

or, perhaps, people just have different opinions on the library?

There simply wasn't enough games, and there was an utter dearth of AAA games.

how many AAA games are there though across all platforms?

dbish

Rocked said:
I much prefer the Dreamcast's games line-up to PS2, Xbox and GameCube's. Sega was really at their peak creativity-wise back then... shame they're so TERRIBLE these days. Most of their games now aren't even developed by Sega!

That's the real shame. Other than their early Xbox games (Panzer, JSRF) Sega has been terrible post-Dreamcast. I was really looking forward to buying their stuff on other consoles, but somehow not having to focus time/resources on developing hardware has made Sega's games WORSE. I'll never understand it.

racerx77 said:
Suggestion.. Change the battery.:D

I'll note that I'm a huge Dreamcast supporter before saying this, but...

That's incredibly stupid advice, and you know it. CR2032 batteries, or whatever they were, ran out so quickly in a VMU that there was never any point in switching them unless you really wanted to mess around with a Chao. VMU was a cool idea, and I'll probably switch my batteries some day for old-times sake, but I'll be damned if it isn't a complete waste of money to do so.

lachesis

Well, one thing to give them a credit is, DC really did pave the way to the next gen, and for short 2 years or so, it did the job quite well. Not too many AAA titles? I think if DC had more time to really open up its potential, the whole perception of DC's library = weak would have been changed. Good AAA titles, takes time to develop, and sadly, that's what DC didn't have in the end. Considering that, it's got plenty of good AAA titles. Skies of Arcadia, for example, and PSO. Sure, it was ported, but ports are always ports. One should always remember where it came from.

D-X

There are a lot of people complaining about the DCs software lineup here.

A fairer comparison would be to gauge the DC's library against the first 2 years of other consoles libraries.

MingisDew

Quake III has less lag and ran smoother on the Deamcast with dialup than on a PC on ISDN. Plus MSR being ahead of its time.

jarrod

Banned
D-X said:

A fairer comparison would be to gauge the DC's library against the first 2 years of other consoles libraries.
It'd be closer to 3.5 years really (winter 1998 to summer 2001), you'd have to go all the way to 4 years if you wanted to include REZ. :/

D-X said:

It still loses, for me. As I said, PSP's library is better, IMHO, and that's only that old.

PS2 had a pretty good first couple of years, although the first 6 months were questionable.

PS1 had an amazing first 2 years.

I'm not that hot on it, but the SNES still had some standout software within two years.

In fact, I can't think of any cosole that had a lacklust first couple of years and then suddenly broke out, apart from the 2600 and maybe the Genesis.

jarrod

Banned
Actually, in terms of visuals and interface, DC ports seems almost perfect for PSP. Jet Grind Radio or REZ on the go would be nice anyway...

Daigoro

stupid thread, but the cant be too much UD pimping, so:

Under Defeat - Under Defeat - Under Defeat!

buy a DC, Vga cord, get an adapter for a good pad or mod a stick, TATE your moniter and BUY UNDER DEFEAT!

a great 2 player game too. this game is so damn fun.

Core407

Banned
Daigoro said:
stupid thread, but the cant be too much UD pimping, so:

Under Defeat - Under Defeat - Under Defeat!

buy a DC, Vga cord, get an adapter for a good pad or mod a stick, TATE your moniter and BUY UNDER DEFEAT!

a great 2 player game too. this game is so damn fun.

monitor-base-2.gif

Buy the Dell LCD monitor, rotate it 90s and have some fun. :)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tokyo Highway Challenge/Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Shutoku Battle has the best soundtrack in a game ever, though.

Go to that FF Shrine website with all the game soundtracks on, download, enjoy.

I've got it on CD in my car, too. It's (unsurprisingly) great driving music.

Daigoro

Pimpwerx said:

ive finally had enough of accidentally reading your posts. i will now utilize the ignore feature for the first time ever. i will use the spare second to ive regained in my life to stare at a wall or pick my nose or something. RIP.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Daigoro said:
ive finally had enough of accidentally reading your posts. i will now utilize the ignore feature for the first time ever. i will use the spare second to ive regained in my life to stare at a wall or pick my nose or something. RIP.

It wasn't the "peace" that did it, right?

cheers to the console with the best launch and post launch line up ever.

Sonic Adventure + Soul Calibur at launch !!! = the best launch ever

talking about games that age well, Soul Calibur is a marvel through VGA.

2D fighting game fans who got Saturn adapters or who bought Arcade sticks know and love the DC for it's fighting game greatness

the DC outputted more Fighting Games then the PS2+Xbox+GC combined (well almost)

Sega was good back then, they delivered:
Crazy Taxi 1, Daytona USA 2001, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Shenmue II (PAL), House Of The Dead II, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Chu Chu Rockets and more

Raxel

My friends and I used to cut class during school to play my DC, even if for only 10 minutes. I'll never forget the summer of 2000 where I was buying a AAA game every couple of weeks, culminating with Shenmue. For us Europeans, the DC was the first time we weren't ignored thanks to PAL-60 and VGA.

My friends loved:
- Chu Chu Rocket
- San Francisco Rush (Battle and Stunt modes)
- 4 Wheel Thunder (Bomb Tag)
- DOA 2
- Virtua Tennis
- MSR (Pursuit mode around small tracks)

Good times :)

Raxel said:
My friends and I used to cut class during school to play my DC, even if for only 10 minutes. I'll never forget the summer of 2000 where I was buying a AAA game every couple of weeks, culminating with Shenmue. For us Europeans, the DC was the first time we weren't ignored thanks to PAL-60 and VGA.

My friends loved:
- Chu Chu Rocket
- San Francisco Rush (Battle and Stunt modes)
- 4 Wheel Thunder (Bomb Tag)
- DOA 2
- Virtua Tennis
- MSR (Pursuit mode around small tracks)

Good times :)
I still play 3 of those, would be more but I got to buy them again... had a great 4 player with SFR only last christmas I believe. If you want miracles me and my mates still stick sonic shuffle on sometimes after a night out.

D-X

The Dreamcast was the first console for me that really bought the arcade home. Having a perfect version of Crazy Taxi at home was outstanding. Again US gamers won't realise it but having PAL games that ran at 60hz had never been done before DC. Also it was the first console to have clean, sharp graphics even though when a game looks poor today the sloppy insult about it is that it looks like a Dreamcast game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
These seems like a good thread for these pics....

I took these photos at CES.... Qualcomm had this HUGE display that was set up to look like an archaeological dig site, except they where digging up old technology.

Ok so here you have the scientists uncovering all this old technology:

IMG_0086.jpg

You can see an old cell phone there.. various old PC's in the background...

Look at some of the other items uncovered at this dig site:
IMG_0087.jpg

There's a commodore 64, complete with disk drive!

My gosh here's some 8 track tapes! Wow this is old technology!
IMG_0088.jpg

I wonder what other old items they've found here?

WHOA look at this find!

IMG_0085.jpg

;)

cbjars

just proofs that old systems can still have better games than newer systems

-inserts entire dreamcast shooter library-

shinokou said:
That's incredibly stupid advice, and you know it. CR2032 batteries, or whatever they were, ran out so quickly in a VMU that there was never any point in switching them unless you really wanted to mess around with a Chao. VMU was a cool idea, and I'll probably switch my batteries some day for old-times sake, but I'll be damned if it isn't a complete waste of money to do so.

I never understood that. Didn't the batteries drain while you had the VMU in the controller? I like the idea of the VMU but it was so poorly implemented.

I saw a mod once on some website where a guy had rigged a VMU to run off a 9-volt battery. Not really practical but it almost never ran out of juice, he said.

Top Bottom