• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast is dead and buried

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Dreamcast was awesome - it had awesome 3D games, and it was the undisputed 2D king...

My DC is still hooked up BTW, and still kicking ass...

I don't over-obsess aabout it, but it was a hell of a console, and I loved it to death... long live DC!

elostyle said:
As a PSP fan, you should be able to gather some empathy at the very least. :p

Well, the PSP is currently underperfoming my expectations of it, so not really. But even so, the PSP library has been better. Thsi is obviously IMHO, but there have been more satisfying titles for PSP by far.

Xenon

Dreamcast was a great stopgap system. $199 for a new system that offered games like VF3, Soul Calibur, and Sonic Adventure was a bargin. It still gets hooked up every now and again for the some play. This is just flashback ramblings of SDF member from the 64bit war. ;)

Despite really liking Rez, SC, Chu Chu Rocket and enjoying other games, no game on DC has been as satisfying as Wipeout Pure, Field Commander, or Lumines. GTA:LCS and a couple of classics compilations round thing out nicely as well.

If these opinions don't match yours.... well, that's why they're called opinions.

lexy

I gave my Dreamcast and it's games to my brother (he loved the DC).

Great console but I always thought the Saturn was better and had more esoteric appeal.

Space Channel 5 is one of my favorite games ever but it's also available (along with it's sequel) on the PS2 so I have no particular attachment to the Dreamcast version. If all the post-DC death Sega games (and I guess Capcom to some extent) had been on Dreamcast and most of it's library wasn't ported to other consoles maybe it would have been the best console ever.

jett

D-Member
The Dreamcast is a worthless console nowadays. Most of its games got ported to other consoles, or got sequels on other consoles.

It was a nice transition console though, while it lasted.

jarrod

Banned
3rd Strike effortlessly murders any games on PSP... speaking which, 3rd Strike should probably be ported to PSP. :)

OGLoc.JPG

"bishoptl is a straight-up busta."

stiltskin

there was no better console. find me one game that runs under 60fps on that machine (especially considering it had anti aliasing built into the hardware).

i have 3 of them. 1 is no longer working, but at least that leaves me with 2, one to have at work and one to have at home. :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
stiltskin said:
there was no better console. find me one game that runs under 60fps on that machine (especially considering it had anti aliasing built into the hardware).

i have 3 of them. 1 is no longer working, but at least that leaves me with 2, one to have at work and one to have at home. :)

I think this was the type Bish was complaining about.

stiltskin said:
there was no better console. find me one game that runs under 60fps on that machine

Sega Rally 2
Sonic Adventure 1
Sega GT
24 Hours Le Mans
Skies of Arcadia
Berserk: Gut's Rage
Time Stalkers
Shenmue 1 & 2
Phantasy Star Online
That's off the top of my head
------
Almost all of the 60 FPS games were (surpise!) 2D/3D Fighters, 2D shooters, and most arcade games in general.

levious

you can add Crazy Taxi to that list, as it ran anywhere from 10 to 60fps.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
You should all track down Under Defeat and play it at least once, TATE-mode, on VGA. You know how we all talk about how consoles never reach their potential? UD is that potential.

underdefeatmontage0ca.jpg

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
levious said:
you can add Crazy Taxi to that list, as it ran anywhere from 10 to 60fps.

The FIRST Crazy Taxi? You're insane....

...and that wasn't good asking for DC games that didn't run at 60 frames per second. There's ALOT of them. They might've run at a consistent 30 fps, but yeah, I can think of ten games that weren't listed that ran at 30 instead of 60, most of them either online titles, or multiplayer...

levious

mr jones said:
The FIRST Crazy Taxi? You're insane....

are you saying there was not excessive slowdown in that game? Or are you saying it never reached 60fps?

Dreamcast games are still being made..at least in Japan. The system isn't dead, just relegated to insignificance. Would play mine more if I could have bought it when it actually came out and the good games for it were still available. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, the PSP is currently underperfoming my expectations of it, so not really. But even so, the PSP library has been better. Thsi is obviously IMHO, but there have been more satisfying titles for PSP by far.

:lol

I expected insane statements from DC fans in here, not necessarily from PSP fans.

Come on Ignatz.

I am honestly surprised at the reaction to my comment re: the PSP library. It's just me, I guess-- but the games I listed I enjoyed far more than those I play on DC.

I'm not a fighter fan, and that was a huge strength of the DC, so that's part of it. ANd as I said, I never meant that to be more than IMHO. I'm not arguing some sort of absolute truth.

I also like racers a lot, and DC had some really good racers-- but so does PSP, and has the trump of my favorite racing series, Wipeout.

Vigilante 8 was OK on dreamcast, but for me, Twisted Metal was better.

DC had some great shooters, but how many released in the US? I never imported.

PSP also has a lot of good ports, although I wasn't arguing those.

I'm really not sure what the controversey is. Is it the usual underrating of the PSP library, or the overinflating of the DC library?

Ignatz Mouse said:
I'm really not sure what the controversey is. Is it the usual underrating of the PSP library, or the overinflating of the DC library?
Obviously the latter. The DC lineup was pretty pitiful if you aren't a fan of fighting games or shmups. The lineup of PS1/2 ports on PSP alone is enough to top the DC, but when you factor in the PSP's exclusive games like UGG and MMPU it really isn't even close.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ignatz Mouse said:
ANd as I said, I never meant that to be more than IMHO. I'm not arguing some sort of absolute truth.

Point taken. I was a big fan of 4p/party games, so to me the DC library was excellent (Virtua Tennis, ChuChu, the Power Stones, Rush 2049; and of course the non-4p games that were great to play in groups like Rez, Samba, Crazy Taxi). I wasn't so much expressing surprise at your judgment, certainly to each his own and the PSP library has its strengths, but at why you'd even bother to compare the two.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
DeathCabCute said:
Second greatest....no wait, third greatest console ever. Short lifespan gives it its status, kind of like great rock stars who die before their time. Image what the dreamcast golden years would have been like.

It's funny because the Dreamcast was a great system but it never really got any recognition until close before it was discontinued. I owned mine since the Japanese launch and as much as everybody enjoyed the system the grass always seemed greener on the other side, until the PS2 disappointed everyone(in the beginning) most people didn't really look at the DC as such a great system.

The sentiment was that Sega should go third party, which they eventually did but it was a bit strange to see that bias in the gaming community, even though the DC was good most people wanted it to fail.

Tain

VF 3, Jet Set, Chu Chu, Sega Rally 2, Get Bass/Sega Bass Fishing, Bangai-O, and Shenmue are not available elsewhere... if you're trying to count that horrible GBA version of Chu Chu then that's just lame. Then there's plenty of other DC only games.

Oh, I don't count those PC ports of sega arcade games either.

First, I put GBA Chu Chu over the DC version. Second, why on earth wouldn't PC ports be valid?

The Dreamcast had pretty much the best run of games ever during its lifespan, but I'm glad I didn't need to bring it to school thanks to all the ports/emulated-elsewhere titles. I still could go for Border Down and Under Defeat, and VOOT, JGR, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Bangaioh, and VF3tb are all pretty cool, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Odrion

Banned
Dreamcast was awesome because it was the first entry into next generation. Not only that but a very very noticable gap in graphics, you had third party games made by companies excited about the new piece of hardware, and you had the Sega titles that were made before Sega turned into a embarrassing parody of itself.

It had a short but good run, although I do think it's early death gave it some sort of rockstar status now.

loosus

Banned
Dreamcast was freaking awesome, as long as you liked broken Sonic games, shitty "I got so much style it hurts" Smilebit games, good sports (NFL, NBA) games, and boring forklift simulators.

What a piece of shit. Thank you, Sony and financial arm of Sega!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tain said:
First, I put GBA Chu Chu over the DC version. Second, why on earth wouldn't PC ports be valid?

The Dreamcast had pretty much the best run of games ever during its lifespan, but I'm glad I didn't need to bring it to school thanks to all the ports/emulated-elsewhere titles. I still could go for Border Down and Under Defeat, and VOOT, JGR, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Bangaioh, and VF3tb are all pretty cool, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Man, I had a hard time with the controls on GBA ChuChu. For me it was almost as disappointing as GBA Monkey Ball, but I never really gave it much of a chance as I really never got used to the controls.

Tain

Man, I had a hard time with the controls on GBA ChuChu. For me it was almost as disappointing as GBA Monkey Ball, but I never really gave it much of a chance as I really never got used to the controls.

I think the "hold and hit the dpad" method worked pretty well, but I don't think that was the default. Loved that it was practically an archive of every custom puzzle ever, and that you could make multiplayer levels for once.

Needing a link cable and having no taunts definitely knocks it down a peg, but I played a ton of both.

Dreamcast was freaking awesome, as long as you liked broken Sonic games, shitty "I got so much style it hurts" Smilebit games, good sports (NFL, NBA) games, and boring forklift simulators.

What a piece of shit. Thank you, Sony and financial arm of Sega!

don't forget the whole arcade ports thing.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, Dreamcast was nice BACK THEN. Now, just about all of the good games have been ported or improved for other platforms, so there's really not much of a reason to go back to it IMO. Especially not with that clunky, uncomfortable controller and the VMU BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPing every god damn time you boot the console up. :/

lachesis

If they hadn't ported most of their awesome games and still had their exclusive games a plenty, the story might have been different. Still, I love my DC. :) Definitely my fav of last gen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
jarrod said:
Chu-Chu DS really needs to happen!

That would be effing brilliant. Choose a space with the stylus and a direction with the face buttons. It's almost tailor-made for the DS. The only thing that ever bothered me about ChuChu controls on the DC was having to move space by space, but obviously without a touch screen there's really no other way. Problem solved.

Surfheart

bob_arctor said:
You should all track down Under Defeat and play it at least once, TATE-mode, on VGA. You know how we all talk about how consoles never reach their potential? UD is that potential.

Wow! that looks absolutely HAWT!!!

Rocked

I much prefer the Dreamcast's games line-up to PS2, Xbox and GameCube's. Sega was really at their peak creativity-wise back then... shame they're so TERRIBLE these days. Most of their games now aren't even developed by Sega!

Kangu

Banned
bob_arctor said:

underdefeatmontage0ca.jpg

I said GAHDAMN! That is stunning. Dreamcast lives! This thread is a failure.

callous

Just a handful of very enjoyable Dreamcast games you cannot get anywhere else.

Border Down
Jet Set Radio
Blue Stinger
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Typing of The Dead
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
Zero Gunner 2
Red Dog
Tech Romancer
Zombie Revenge
Under Defeat
Soul Calibur
Sonic Adventure

Now can we please put the "It's all been ported" argument to rest? It's simply not the case. People saying it must not have had a Dreamcast.

BuddyC

callous said:

Border Down
Jet Set Radio
Blue Stinger
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Typing of The Dead
Zero Gunner 2
Red Dog
Tech Romancer
Zombie Revenge
Under Defeat
Soul Calibur
Sonic Adventure

Now can we please put the "It's all been ported" argument to rest? It's simply not the case. People saying it must not have had a Dreamcast.
There's also an argument to be had that while many of the Dreamcast's notable games were ported, they were ported at a later date, and having them all available earlier and on the same system (before anyone knew they would be ported) meant the Dreamcast's library was, at that time, much stronger. It's definitely a quality line up, and I think the fact so many titles were eventually ported and enjoyed on other systems says a lot.

For better or worse, most of the good games and franchises lived on in some form, and I'd rather that than see titles like Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue trapped in the coffin of some dead system.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
racerx77 said:
Suggestion.. Change the battery.:D

I did, but it didn't last very long. Besides, the mere idea of spending money on batteries for a memory card is...yeah.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
callous said:

Border Down
Jet Set Radio
Blue Stinger
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Typing of The Dead
Zero Gunner 2
Red Dog
Tech Romancer
Zombie Revenge
Under Defeat
Soul Calibur
Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure was ported to GC though, and Typing of the Dead was ported to the more suitable PC. *runs*

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Sonic Adventure was ported to GC though, and Typing of the Dead was ported to the more suitable PC. *runs*
And half the other games were themselves arcade ports. *runs after Kiruku*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BuddyC makes a good point about later ports (and even more obviously arcade ports, I might add) being largely irrelevant to any discussion of the DC as a system, and in fact being something that reflects positively upon the system. Unless you're one for hitting up MobyGames to support specious arguments.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
blahness said:
more suitable? then how would my wife and I play co-op TOTD?

More suitable because everyone already owns a keyboard for their PC. Didn't know co-op was so popular in TOTD (only played it in single player myself), can't recall if there was a network mode or similar in the PC version.

Oh, and there was a remake of the game released for PS2 as well. :p

Top Bottom