• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter [Ended, $1.5 million funded]

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it came out six years ago, not to mention that the first game came out six years before that! And if I remember correctly, the reviews for Dreamfall weren't that great.

Before I played it, I was under the impression that it was kind of a pile. Then I played it and I wound up liking it more than TLJ.

Yeah, I put off buying Dreamfall for ages because of some of the negative things I heard about it. But then I finally bought it and found that I loved it more than TLJ.

Lime

And now we play the waiting game. I'll probably go dark except for the occasional screen indicative of graphics.

FACE

Banned
Estimated delivery: Nov 2014

ibogNY2MHeK5x3.png

pmj

I backed this without having played any previous game in the series or even knowing the first thing about it, only because so many people here were excited about it.

Seems like I'll have plenty of time to find and watch a good let's play of the series, heh.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I backed this without having played any previous game in the series or even knowing the first thing about it, only because so many people here were excited about it.

Seems like I'll have plenty of time to find and watch a good let's play of the series, heh.

Better idea: play both games! They both tell a great story and are a lot of fun. Plus, both tend to be cheap on both GOG.com and Steam.

pmj

Better idea: play both games! They both tell a great story and are generally fun ti play. Plus, both tend to be cheap on both GOG.com and Steam.

I'm on Linux and The Longest Journey doesn't play well with Wine, so that's unfortunately a no-go.

epmode

The infrequent combat is awful and the puzzles are easy enough to basically consider the game an elaborate visual novel. I still like it more than TLJ.

You know, I still haven't played Dreamfall. Though I'm a big fan of TLJ.

Is Dreamfall worth playing?

I'd say that Dreamfall isn't fun to play, because the stealth elements, the combat (pure button mashing) and the controls are all terrible, but the amazing story and dialogue are well worth the pain. Although, there were some things about the beginning and ending of Dreamfall that I didn't really like.

epmode

It plays fine on a controller, combat notwithstanding.

I feel that the stealth and combat complaints are overdone. It's bad, sure, but it's such a small portion of the game that it doesn't last long enough to bother me.

Grawl's LP is what I would suggest. He does occasional subtitle commentary, but no voiceover as not to ruin the ambience. Just be forewarned that he pretty much just shows you the entire two games (should you decide to play them).

UPDATE!
ijv6aSK4k48xG.gif

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-longest-journey/posts/467859?ref=activity

Greenlit on Steam!
Dreamfall Chapters was recently Greenlit by the Steam community, which means that our backers will be able to get a Steam copy of the game on both PC, Mac & Linux when the time comes. Hurray! We're happy and grateful for your votes, and we're very excited about being on Steam.

Video update
Hello, backers!

We've just recorded a new video production update -- you can find the HD version on YouTube and the SD version below.

In this update, Martin, Dag and Ragnar talk about what's been happening with Dreamfall Chapters this past month, what the production team is working on (hint: it's a game!), and what's ahead in the near future.

Frozen pizzas are ready to go
We've got more video updates lined up, and next week we hope to show you our brand new offices, as we (fingers crossed) move into our permanent, long-term digs. The finishing touches are currently being put on the kitchen, where many frozen pizzas will be heated and eaten, and once that's ready we'll say goodbye to our current (cramped and packed) office and finally get some room to grow.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so a bit late in sharing this, but Ragnar and Martin talked about and showed off DC at EGX Rezzed, and a video is up of the event.

Also worth noting, the second game they're working on, Draugen, which they do talk about in their presentation, is going to have a Kickstarter at some point.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
That's fine, so long as they don't pull a Valve and put their third episode in indefinite limbo.

FoneBone

That's fine, so long as they don't pull a Valve and put their third episode in indefinite limbo.

It's not "pulling a Valve" I'd be worried about. Valve never had to worry about sales.

What concerns me is that they don't address their plans should the first episode(s) fail to meet their sales target.

What concerns me is that they don't address their plans should the first episode(s) fail to meet their sales target.

That unfortunately is a legitimate concern.

I'm assuming this delay means an additional 6-8 months of development time at the very least. Probably longer depending on the length and quality of the content. They probably need early sales of the first episode/season pass to cover (realistically) a year's worth of studio time, if not more.

Shads

I'm fine with this. Take the time to do it right and tell the story to it's full potential that they envisioned it. Kind of sucks that it'll take longer to see it fully through the end, but at least we get a taste of it periodically.

I need to play these games again before Chapters Book 1 is out. And whatever happened to the iOS port for The Longest Journey?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's not "pulling a Valve" I'd be worried about. Valve never had to worry about sales.

Pulling a Valve = leaving people hanging in the middle of an episodic cycle. Sales would, of course, be a bigger concern for Red Thread than Valve.

Top Bottom