• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrForester's "How I Broke Photobucket"

Status
Not open for further replies.

msv

From the GAFman thread, by kage

http://i.imgur.com/HzMdj.jpg
HzMdj.jpg

i give up it's not working for me :(

http://i.imgur.com/w1q2T.gif

I just made the picture a still shot then extended the canvas to 10000 x 10000. With a short message explaining the situation. all that white space is translated nicely in .gif files and becomes a 113kb picture :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Plywood said:
http://www.abload.de/img/the5thnintendoelement41k4.gif

Why edit a .gif to another animated .gif that would probably still take as much bandwidth?

CrankyJay

Banned
When I first read the OP I thought Photobucket was going to ask DrForester to cough up some money to help mitigate the bandwidth cost. Seems pretty cool of them though to work with you on this.

DrForester said:
I get off the phone today and learn that I made it into the top 5 bandwidth users of Photobucket last month.
The thing I want to know is who the heck were the other four people/images?

I nominate going with one of the explanation images, even if airhorn homer would be much funnier.

painey

come on.. these guys hot-linked his image.. they deserve something annoying, or embarrassing as punishment, not a funny gif. I would change it to a 1x1,000,0000 pixel image of just white, stretching every page that it appears on to kingdom come.. and if it was on a white webpage they would take ages to notice what was causing the problem.

CrankyJay

Banned
Typographenia said:
The thing I want to know is who the heck were the other four people/images?

I nominate going with one of the explanation images, even if airhorn homer would be much funnier.

Can't he just put the explanation overlay on top of airhorn Homer?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
painey said:
come on.. these guys hot-linked his image.. they deserve something annoying, or embarrassing as punishment, not a funny gif. I would change it to a 1x1,000,0000 pixel image of just white, stretching every page that it appears on to kingdom come.. and if it was on a white webpage they would take ages to notice what was causing the problem.

Transparency works for that.

akao said:
put the nyan cat or the nyeh cat

IT'S POP-TART CAT!

SMH for Chris/PR or whoever decided "Nyan-cat" was more marketable.

*Hipster.gif* I was there when lol-comics wasn't exploding in popularity due to a poptart cat.

Deadbeat

Banned
I would make it a goatse gif (or tubgirl) to get all the hotlinkers banned because they can go fuck themselves. But if you are above that then good for you.
weekend_warrior said:
why the fuck do you still use photobucket?
It kept his image up for 15 terabytes worth of bandwidth.

Rapstah

painey said:
Or how about stretching the other way?

This is 1*100000. It's breaking my web browser half the time which may be positive.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just so there's no confusion, that image was hosted a lot on old, archived GAF threads. So I'd prefer no images asking to get myself banned when someone find a quoted .gif of mine...

FStop7

Banned
Not a lot of creative thinking going on at Photobucket...

DrForester said:
So I got a email from photobucket last week.

So I instantly think this is due to the e3 .gifs. I get off the phone today and learn that I made it into the top 5 bandwidth users of Photobucket last month. The 5th Element .gif received well over 1 million views, at 15mb a view.

All because of this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/The5thNintendoElement.gif

So, long story short, they want my .gifs to be private, but I was able to convince them that this one went viral, getting up to #4 on reddit at one point, and twitterd all over the place.

So the solution we agreed on, is that I'm going to change the file name, thus breaking hotlinks. There are people on other boards using it in signatures and other things that just show up all the time (once again thank you GAF for not subjecting us to signatures). I will change the name tomorrow morning, so if for some reason you want to save it, do it now.

I also plan to have a bit of fun with this, and this is where I need some help from GAF. I would like a tasteful image to replace the filename with. Maybe something mentioning how the original photo broke photobucket. Small in MB size, non-animated. Something that I will upload to the file and will show up in those signatures and other things on other boards.

Remember it has to be saved in .gif format though, the file name is. "The5thNintendoElement.gif"

Casp0r

Banned
Don't know if this is possile ...

Just cut your original .gif in half and have it freeze for about a minute ... then slowly have troll face fad into the image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom