• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drukmann on Uncharted and Last of Us movies + TLOU2

bitbydeath

On Uncharted

The Uncharted movie, yeah, we’ve had some conversations with Shawn Levy. And he’s really passionate, gets it, and I think he understands where we’re at. We’ve kind of evolved our feelings towards these kind of adaptations over the years.

We used to just be excited, ‘Oh, my god, movies are looking at us. There could be an Uncharted movie on the screen.’ And then as more time passes on, we’re not excited about a direct adaptation of the story we told, because we feel like we’ve already told that story very well, cinematically, so I don’t know what else you could bring to it.

[Shawn Levy] wanting to tell a different story than the main four adventures – with potentially a young Nathan Drake, that fills in the gaps – I think is a lot more interesting than trying to retell Uncharted 1, 2, 3, and 4.”

On The Last of Us-

I worked on the script for The Last of Us film, which was a direct adaptation. And now, having some separation from it, I look back and [am] like, ‘I don’t want that movie to be made.'”

Maybe there’s something that could be done in the world, either focusing on other characters or other time. But, for me, and I know for Naughty Dog and for a lot of our fans, Nolan North is Nathan Drake, Ashley Johnson is Ellie, Troy Baker is Joel. And it would be very disorienting to see someone else in that role.”

On The Last of Us 2

The End of the F—ing World” series has been: “totally inspiring the stuff we’re doing in [The Last of Us 2]. Again, more on the dialogue stuff.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/uncharted-last-of-us-chief-on-film-hopes/

Uncharted is fine for a movie filling in gaps of the game, but The Last of Us should be a direct adaptation or it’ll just end up as any other apocalypse movie.

It'll be interesting to see where the Uncharted movie goes. I saw an interview with Nolan North not long ago where he was talking about how he really doesn't think the Uncharted movie is a good idea, because the games are so cinematic already and people are so attached to Nathan Drake as a character that they probably wouldn't accept any actor that they put up on the screen to play him -- even if that actor was Nolan himself.

For what it's worth, I agree with his assessment. I would tolerate Nolan North playing Nate in a live action movie, but I wouldn't be particularly stoked about it. Anyone else? Forget it. Uncharted stands well enough on its own; it doesn't need a movie.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not fond of the idea of making these into films, I just think they won't translate as well as many think... would love to be proved wrong though.

Razorback

I think the whole point of Naughty Dog games is that they offer the writing and aesthetics of movies but you get to play around in those worlds. Take away the interactivity and the novelty is gone.

If they end up being good movies anyway it will be in spite of the respective intellectual properties.

Ka-Kui

It's a shame Nathan Fillion is aging, he would have been the perfect Drake more than 10 years ago.

Why don't they just make a photorealistic CGI movie with Nolan North and co.?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If Tomb Raider does well, production of these will get a shot in the arm. If not, I could see them just staying in development hell for awhile. There isn't some inherent reason why the premise couldn't translate to screen, but a studio is going to get gun shy if yet another video game movie is a critical and commercial disaster.

GabeARG

Both games are a cinematic experience. We don't need this movies.

Also "Logan" is a beautiful adaptation of the last of us.

Enough said.

Doom85

Brett Dalton could potentially be a good pick for Nathan Drake. Having played Until Dawn (where they used facial capture) he's got the look and the humor (later in the game, early Mike is more of your typical jock/class clown).

The Last of Us I agree will just feel inferior if it's confined to a single movie, I don't think a single movie's runtime can fully develop Joel and Ellie's relationship to make the ending deliver as hard as it did in the video game, and even if one could arguably cut certain supporting characters I would still be unhappy if Tess, Bill, Henry, Sam and/or Tommy were removed from the movie (figured Marlene's safe, kinda hard to do the ending without her). So it either has to be at least two movies or just don't bother IMHO.

Top Bottom