• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 build quality is garbage. Why would Sony make such a cheap controller?

erawsd

I've already had three DS4s break on me, and it's a pain to get Sony to fix them every time. I had the R2 buttons break on my two launch controllers within a week of each other, and after shipping them off to Sony, only one replacement was returned to me. It took an extra month to convince them to send me my second controller again.

While I was down two controllers, I picked up a couple of new white ones, and now the left joystick on one of those has stopped reliably working. It doesn't seem to recognize the proper "up" position, and trying to run in nearly any game means that it'll repeatedly glitch out and switch between walking and running every few seconds.

Since the NES era, I've prevously only had one controller fail on me (a Halo Reach LE with some dodgy soldering), so I'm getting pretty fed up with the DS4, no matter how much I like the feel of the controller.

Yeah, same experience here. I love the controller but the build quality is embarrassing. I haven't had a controller break in 20+ years since my parents would always buy those crappy Nykos for the N64. I got two launch DS4s and both of them are now busted. First one had the sticky R1 and a creaky R2 and second one has now started having the "UP" issue with the left stick, and since I'm way past the warranty period I assume Sony isn't going to replace it.

n0razi

5 minutes, LOL. Don't leave out the part about the pressure tabs, which can easily take 30 minutes of frustrated effort to circumvent. And then the triggers with the tiny springs that can pop out and leave you on your hands and knees searching for another hour, not to mention the time spent figuring out how to put them back in. Also, there's the fact that many of the battery vendors are out to scam you with shitty batteries. This is hardly a simple task.

sounds like someone cant do basic DIY and is angry he wasted $10 :eek:

farisr

I guess buying the DS4s that arrived at stores a month before the ps4 even launched turned out to be a good idea. I have 4 of them and none of them seem to exhibit the problems people talk about. Must have been a good batch.

Every single DS4 I've gotten (6 in total) has broke down on me. The first 2 had the rubber peel off. The rest of them have this weird issue where you press a button and another gets pressed or it spazzes out altogether.

Lupercal

Banned
My 4 controllers I've had since launch are still going strong. One of them had the rubber tear on a thumbs tick but I bought a bag of grips for 5€.

As long as you handle it with a little care and not Throw it around after another loss they'll be fine.

Demo85

Banned
What battery is everyone using for an aftermarket option in the DS4? Last time I looked into it (granted it was around when the PS4 launched) all the after market batteries resulted in no or less battery life even thought they were rated higher.

MattyG

Banned
Just bought a second controller because all my buttons started sticking. Last week it was the square button, then the right d-pad, and then today my entire TouchPad started sticking and cracking every time I pushed it. I've never broken a controller before either, my DS3 is still going strong 7 years later.

Nosgotham

My 4 controllers I've had since launch are still going strong. One of them had the rubber tear on a thumbs tick but I bought a bag of grips for 5€.

As long as you handle it with a little care and not Throw it around after another loss they'll be fine.

not entirely true. i didnt have the buttons sticking, just the rubber tear and i throw my shit around. my brother in la, on the other hand, takes pristine care of his stuff and his triggers were sticking one month in. it was after 100 hours of warframe but it still shouldnt occur. that was launch stuff though, i got lucky. he didnt. its not like every person reportig sticking buttons, other issues was throwing their stuff around, mistreating it. its a real issue, well it was. not so sure anymore. if the Neo has a better build, i may pick one up. the DS4 just feels like a toy controller i could squeeze and break

so... like i impulse bought a SCUF controller yesterday

kinda regret it now that i think about it lol

asked for them to take out the rumble and put a circle pad instead of the normal d-pad and the whole backpaddles and electromagnetic shit custom options

My triggers Start to squeak like an old barn door. Is it possible to live the mechanical parts or modify the controller inards to stop this obnoxious squeaking?
Sticks still haven't shed the rubber, but I rarely play my ps4.

No Love

Banned
Least reliable controller ever. I have two controllers and neither one of them can chsrge anymore apparently... Lol is it too much to ask for Xbox 360 controller quality? Or Dualshock 3?

Chittagong

Gold Member
My dpad stopped working yesterday. First down and then the rest. Took apart the controller, they just wouldn't respond to anything. Couldn't figure out why.

Rubber on sticks was shredded too.

UrbanRats

Oh yeah, my left analog stick stopped working properly (won't register the "up" input well).
So now i have Uncharted 4 left halfway through, and before i'll buy a new one i'll forget what i played, and will have to start over. :\
I'm wondering if i should just wait for the Neo at this point, and finish the game then, lol.

Dawg

I have this weird issue on a few controllers where some of the d-pad and/or face buttons feel different than the rest of my buttons.

They don't get stuck, but if I press them in specific ways, there's like... more friction? It's hard to describe the feeling. But I feel it best when I push the surface of my UP button on the d pad a little forward before actually pressing it down. I really want to know what causes it because once I felt it, I can't stop thinking about it. My triangle button on the same controller also has it.

Anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about?

StylusX

Oh yeah, my left analog stick stopped working properly (won't register the "up" input well).
So now i have Uncharted 4 left halfway through, and before i'll buy a new one i'll forget what i played, and will have to start over. :\
I'm wondering if i should just wait for the Neo at this point, and finish the game then, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn930XE7McA

It sounds stupid but this work. I've had this problems for months and this fixes it. You're going to have to do it every few days or so but its better than nothing.

I can't believe some of these issues.

It sounds like something that would come about from mistreatment, but most say they take good care of the things. Maybe it's related to hard button presses?

Greddleok

I look after my controllers and one has recently started to have to stick rubber perish. It's now flaking off with use.

To be fair, this is like 3 years of heavy usage.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There is no way to check the FCC number without opening the controller's packaging, right?
I'm curious about this as well. I kinda want to cave in and buy a black one with an extended store warranty so I can just drive over and exchange it if/when it fails because fuck dealing with Sony. I got my case number and stuff for my failing 20th Anniversary DS4 and they want me to pay shipping? Seriously?

I can't believe some of these issues.

It sounds like something that would come about from mistreatment, but most say they take good care of the things. Maybe it's related to hard button presses?

I had to change the thumbsticks of my first DS4 after just a few weeks of buying it. My second DS4 had loose triggers after a month.

Never had problems with any other controllers. DS4 problem is bad quality.

I'm curious about this as well. I kinda want to cave in and buy a black one with an extended store warranty so I can just drive over and exchange it if/when it fails because fuck dealing with Sony. I got my case number and stuff for my failing 20th Anniversary DS4 and they want me to pay shipping? Seriously?

You can't buy the Anniversary one anymore, can you?

Risette

A Good Citizen
You can't buy the Anniversary one anymore, can you?
Nope. They said they'll replace it though. They were all the most recent revision anyways.

I want a black one for ease of exchange but I dunno how to determine the revision without opening.

kromeo

Only controller I've ever had problems with was the n64 where the analogue sticks kept breaking, and I don't exactly look after them..

The DS4 design is a nice improvement over the DS3. But the build quality is definitely hit or miss. I baby my stuff which always generally looks brand new months/years after purchase. But both my launch DS4s developed squeaky barn-door triggers almost immediately. I exchanged both and haven't had another problem yet, so that's good.

If they didn't cost £54.99 RRP maybe it wouldn't be so insulting.

(Yes if you scrimp, save, and bargain you can get them for a totally reasonable £30, great)

KyleCross

The DS4 that came with my PS4 (bought Summer 2014) isn't great. It feels super cheap, I can feel the casing shift around in my hands. It lasts about 6 hours on a full charge, and the sticks get super slimey.

However, I bought the 20th Anniversary DS4 last year and it's a night and day difference. It feels heavier and more solid, the battery lasts upwards of 9 hours, and the sticks don't get slimey.

UrbanRats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn930XE7McA

It sounds stupid but this work. I've had this problems for months and this fixes it. You're going to have to do it every few days or so but its better than nothing.

I'll give this a try, thanks.
Hopefully it does the trick.
I just need it to work long enough to at least finish the damn game.
OK tested it quickly on Uncharted 4 and it seemed to indeed work!
Hopefully it'll last long enough to finish the game.
Thanks again, man.

I only had 2 DS4s break on me so far (both times the L1 triggers just get stuck / don't trigger anymore). That said, it's a shame Sony hasn't brought forward some better quality controllers. The Xbox One Elite Controller is a fucking thing of beauty and every time I play a game heavily on PS4 (UC4 recently), I always dislike using the DS4.

ATM, I think the Xbox One Elite Controller and the Oculus Touch are far and away the best controllers out there.

My launch-generation controller from 2014 is still perfectly fine and I have zero issues with it (pathetic battery life aside), despite being used almost every day as my go to controller for my PS4 and PC. I guess the joystick rubber issues are a result of bad quality material in some batches. The design itself is brilliant and it's my favorite controller so far (at least since the Gamecube).

Harmen

Since I see it quite often on the internet, I do believe there are some problems. But the two I own most certainly feel solid in my hands, no problems whatsoever.

Agreed. My gripes are all with the durability and some quality of build issues though.

Ergonomically it is perfect IMO. The touch pad button is weird and doesn't have much application but the rest is solid.

The 2 sets of triggers are a treat.

Durability and quality of build though? DS4 controllers feel flimsy and the weight simply isn't there. Compare it with the solid plastic of a Gamecube controller and you'll notice it straight away.

I don't think is an individual phenomenon though. Most controllers feel pretty flimsy these days minus the Xbox OG (S), Wiimote, Pro controller + WiiU Pro Controller... Wait most of the recent Nintendo controllers have been solid... others, not so much.

I only had 2 DS4s break on me so far (both times the L1 triggers just get stuck / don't trigger anymore).

That's what happened to my first DualShock 4. I hadn't used the thing much, and when I was playing Spider-Man about two month after launch, the button got sticky while webswinging.

I knew the manager of the local games store, so he thankfully let me exchange it.

DS4s are on sale, so I might buy a blue one today as I've always wanted one. That would put me at 4, although I only use one. But I'm crazy/a controller addict.

I worry that it won't be an A, but it should be given how long they've been out.

Yeah the rubber on the left analog stick of both of my controllers is near completely off. It's probably been answered already, but are the new grey blue models that came out with Uncharted 4 any better?

SystemUser

hugocésar;204216669 said:
Yeah the rubber on the left analog stick of both of my controllers is near completely off. It's probably been answered already, but are the new grey blue models that came out with Uncharted 4 any better?

I haven't used that color in particular, but Sony changed the rubber about a year after the PS4 launched. The rubber is more durable than the launch DS4s, but the rubber is still not as tough as the DS3 sticks or the sticks on the Xbone.

Seems people have really selective memories. Try using a DS3 now and it's atrocious compared to the DS4 in build quality. I had issues with the sticks (rubber ripped off) on a launch one but no issues with the newer ones. Regarding the battery life are there that many people with only one controller? I have two so one is always charged. Battery life is never an issue.

Gono

Banned
Don't know what's the problem with the DS4, I bought my PS4 like 6 months after launch. Played a lot since then and my DS4 is just like new. Excellent controller. Battery could be a lot better, though.

Top Bottom