• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
have we tried to gather info here..?

like production numbers on the ones that are faulty..?

dualshock4-fcc.jpg

maybe we could find out if the ones that are failing are from the same batch or something..?

Thats a great idea, can you pm the users who posted their faulty controllers?

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow, i'm terrified to use my DS4s now! I have two of them.

Can't believe this is actually an issue on a $60 controller. Makes you wonder how much Sony R&D'd these.

what are you talking about??...Sony has already sold over 1 million consoles...to have a 1% failure rate there would need to be 10,000 dead consoles...its not even close to that...and even if it was 1% is WELL within accepted failure rates for consumer electronics...

there are even MORE DS4's out there in the wild and NOBODY is picking up on this story outside of GAF...none of the major outlets seem to have problems with any of their controllers that they have mentioned..

I remember reactions like this in the 360's early life. Its a good thing to talk about it, and it may be an overreaction at this point but what's scary is that I've never seen something like this happen so early, these issues usually pop up a good while after the release.

If you see a mouse in your house, don't just scoff it off as it being just ONE mouse, it could be a sign of a bigger problem.

anddo0

my brother and i have been hammering on our DS4's since release date...HOURS every day so far...neither controller shows even the slightest sign of wear to either stick...

Crossing my fingers. No issues here, been averaging like 8 hours a day since launch.

have we tried to gather info here..?

like production numbers on the ones that are faulty..?

dualshock4-fcc.jpg

maybe we could find out if the ones that are failing are from the same batch or something..?

model cuh-zct1u
anatel no. 2307-13-6223
fcc id: ak8cuhzct1
ic: 4098-cuhzct1
4-473-498-02 G
Made in China

Need anything else? I'm blind without my glasses and the text so small lol

despire

model cuh-zct1u
anatel no. 2307-13-6223
ic: 4098-cuhzct1
4-473-498-02 G
Made in China

Need anything else? I'm blind without my glasses and the text so small lol

Would this be the important piece of information here? My DS4, which is ok (I haven't used it), has a different number. Everything else is the same.

Looks like a bad batch. Mine is still a solid piece since Friday. Most played resogun and knack. I know I ate some chips. So the salt should have affected it since I was lazy to clean my fingers

This problem worries me a lot. I would freak out if this happens to the analog sticks on my DualShock 4.

I'm ALWAYS taking good care of my stuff, I NEVER touch my controllers when my hands are not clean and I don't have long nails...

I have to say that the analog sticks on the XBO controller looks like much better quality to me... :(

Analog sticks that will wear off is much worse than the oily analog sticks problem of the DS3. Much worse.

I got my hands on a DS4 for the first time today, down at the BB. The rubber felt very similar to the DS3 rubber, but the top edge of the right stick had a little cracking going on.

DoomGyver

I contacted ModSticks.com and he said that he's hoping to have PS4 thumbsticks for sale by January 2014. If mine start peeling I'm going that route.

Two DS4's...at least a few hours daily since launch...lots of FIFA and shooters so CONSTANTLY moving the left stick in all sorts of directions...

ZERO issues with wear on either controller

Thanks,

This thread is worrying me about the controller I've got coming in on monday.

beanman25

Playing a lot since launch. Resogun, Killzone, NBA, Fifa, Knack. Have been using sticks a ton and not a slight bit of wear.

WoolyNinja

Probably an isolated problem with a small batch of controllers. I'd contact Sony (they're answering calls crazy fast right now) and I'm sure they'll switch it out. That's the first thing I'd try.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you think I could mod my DS4 and put the XB1 thumbsticks in there? I really like the grippy surface around the top of the thumbsticks!

Derrick01

Banned
The material on my sticks are fine but today I noticed the left stick catches on something for a half second when I pull it down towards me. It makes a light click noise and I can feel it in my thumb as well. It works fine but it's pretty annoying. I tried pulling it up and cleaning underneath it with compressed air but it didn't do anything.

Has anybody who has used their controller a lot not had this issue?

I have been using my controllers since launch day (one of them before that)

No issue at all with the analogue sticks.... there was a problem with the L1 button getting jammed with one of my DS4 but that was due to my controller falling from a certain height down to the floor (returned that controller today for a replacement)

From Canada but I believe some people here got the analogue issue as well

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I rode that left thumbstick hard during the 8ish hours to platinum Resogun, and I've used it a bit less intensely about 20 more hours across Killzone, Knack, Need for Speed, and Warframe and I see absolutely no sign of wear like that. My thumb even felt slightly blister-like sore from some of those Resogun sessions. I feel like if the cover was going to quickly give out it would definitely have already done it.

I do have that groove around the base of the stick starting to building up, but all my gamepads have that. It doesn't really effect the use of it at all and I look at it like a cool battle scar, a sign of the controller fulfilling its role during some intense gaming marathons.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
My left stick has started to flake slightly. I've used my controller a good amount for a week. I also wash my hands before every session. :(

Mackins

Do you think I could mod my DS4 and put the XB1 thumbsticks in there? I really like the grippy surface around the top of the thumbsticks!

Possibly if the shafts are the same diameter, if they are fatter or thinner, there would be problems.

Update from my previous post: no flaking, but the right stick does look like it is getting 'smoother' in the center. Strange that it hasn't happened on the left stick, or at least not as noticably.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've been playing daily since launch and hadn't noticed anything until today.

I looked down after an intense session with Resogun and sure enough my left stick is starting to flake around the bottom edge and in the center.

BHR-3

been using since launch little over 2 weeks got smoothness and peeling/flaking on both sticks mainly the left though wasnt really gaming that hard either

my numbers
model cuh-zct1u
ic:409b-cuhzct1
4-473-498-01 g
made in china

gonna buy one at TRU this wednesday there having a sale 20% off all accessories will post back in here if that one gets issues

The SpeedFreek is the racing one,...... you sure it fits?
speedfreek.jpg

They told me on twitter it doesn't fit. Also the tip of the stick T (the top) looks 'thinner' (and cheaper) so it has less to clamp on to?

Damn, I'm sorry. Yes, I meant the FPS Freeks. And contrary to what I read online, the FPS ones fit just fine on my DS4.

wizzbang

Banned
Damn, I'm sorry. Yes, I meant the FPS Freeks. And contrary to what I read online, the FPS ones fit just fine on my DS4.

The speedfreek is the one rumoured to not fit :/ - FPS ones don't interest me.
I'm seriously considering butchering my DS4 for DS3 sticks anyhow :/

wizzbang

Banned
Does anyone know where I can buy genuine Sony (or at least very good quality) replacement sticks for a DS4? I want to replace the sticks as soon as I get my controller.

I know that guy who did the webcast show with Asobi changed his sticks apparently pretty easily?
EDIT: Found a portion of the video from the spartan show, he apparently did need to do some sanding to get the thumbsticks to fit but it was possible.
I think I might order a set from ebay and give it a shot, this way I need not worry about the thumbsticks wearing down and I prefer the shape on the DS3.

Wish someone would sell a broken controller

So I called Sony tonight. This is a known issue and they will replace the DS4 under the manufacturers warranty (one year). Same procedure as a console: they send a box, you put controller in box, they replace with "new" controller - that part may change with time as the T&C of the warranty also allows for reconditioned replacements.

The guy was really friendly and couldn't believe this was an issue until he verified it with his manager, who was thoroughly familiar with the problem. He did mention that controller replacements were "lower priority" since they have consoles coming for repair/replacement and that the turn-around time would be about a week and a half.

Hope this clears up any confusion regarding how sony will handle repairs, but it still doesn't amount to much of an "official response."

wizzbang

Banned
So I called Sony tonight. This is a known issue and they will replace the DS4 under the manufacturers warranty (one year). Same procedure as a console: they send a box, you put controller in box, they replace with "new" controller - that part may change with time as the T&C of the warranty also allows for reconditioned replacements.

The guy was really friendly and couldn't believe this was an issue until he verified it with his manager, who was thoroughly familiar with the problem. He did mention that controller replacements were "lower priority" since they have consoles coming for repair/replacement and that the turn-around time would be about a week and a half.

Hope this clears up any confusion regarding how sony will handle repairs, but it still doesn't amount to much of an "official response."

Which fault, the rubber issue or the R1 sticking issue?

Random question. Don't suppose it's possible but could the Xbox 1 thumbsticks be made to fit the DS4 since no one I know has been complaining about them? Aren't they plastic anyway and not rubber so shouldn't wear down anywhere near as fast?

Satchel

Banned
Finally got hands on with the DS4. Controller feels amazing.

Right up there with the 360 and One controllers, but no doubt Sony fucked up the rubber they're using on the sticks.

Everyone's is going to wear away at some point soon. Unless you barely use those sticks, we're all going to be buying replacement controllers or finding ways to protect that rubber.

Really hope Sony does something before I get my console. It even looks ugly against the rest of the controller which looks great.

Giggzy

My left thumb stick has started this wear issue. It started mid last week with a tiny cut in the rubber. Since then it has grown into a fairly large slit. Depending on the pressure and direction I'm moving the stick my thumb will slide off because of the tear and expose the plastic under the controller :(

daman824

I didn't notice an issue until I got a second controller yesterday. While it's not a huge issue yet, I could definitely tell which one was the new controller and which one was the old controller just by looking at the wear on the rubber. Hopefully it doesn't start to tear. Really good controller. Just that one issue.

Top Bottom