• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

The coating is coming off my DS4 thumb sticks as well. It's becoming shiny, and when I play it feels like tiny eraser residue/shavings/bits on the sticks. The controller came in the box with my launch PS4, so I doubt I could do anything but ship it to Sony, but I don't have any extra money to do that. Sony should have put a better coating on the sticks.

Purexed

Banned
Sony couldn't be bothered to have customer service that answered in under an hour so I took matters in my own hands.

Did the ol buy and return switcheroo at Target. Happy to have a complete controller again, for now.

SkylineRKR

I might go for grips for the first time ever. My left stick has a small tear in the middle, like a pussy. Its no problem with gaming but if it completely starts to detoriate... This is only after a month of usage after all.

I might go for grips for the first time ever. My left stick has a small tear in the middle, like a pussy. Its no problem with gaming but if it completely starts to detoriate... This is only after a month of usage after all.
The one in my Best Buy had this exact same issue, it's weird, expected to see wear on the edge, not the middle.

Ya'll are killing me.

$5 grips and your controllers will be set for the foreseeable future. All I can do is recommend them, I guess. Any brand will do I'm sure. But damn...for all the money you guys spent on your consoles, extra controllers, games and shit...I guess I'da thought people would be more proactive about protecting part of their investment when it's a matter of $5 bucks. It's lame to have to do at all and I get the principle of the matter...but fuck it. It's $5! I'd rather not have had to buy a screen protector for my Vita but guess what? Them shits are protected too.

A $5 investment would have prevented every frustrated poster from being in this thread. As I said before, as SOON as I saw this thread (days before I got my launch PS4), I said, "nope that won't be me" and ordered my grips. I got them bitches from Amazon before I got my PS4 and put them on as soon as I took the DS4 out of the box. Happy camper is happy, and this thread is my daily reminder that it was $5 well spent.

I hope others who have read through this thread and haven't gotten their PS4 or aren't having any problems with their sticks plan on being proactive. Lest you add your sticks to the pile shitty/broken sticks.

Good luck to all of you either way.
GET SOME GRIPS YOU HEATHENS

Are there any grips that are very similar to what is on there already?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure some are coming.

ForestNinja

Neo Member
Ya'll are killing me.

$5 grips and your controllers will be set for the foreseeable future. All I can do is recommend them, I guess. Any brand will do I'm sure. But damn...for all the money you guys spent on your consoles, extra controllers, games and shit...I guess I'da thought people would be more proactive about protecting part of their investment when it's a matter of $5 bucks. It's lame to have to do at all and I get the principle of the matter...but fuck it. It's $5! I'd rather not have had to buy a screen protector for my Vita but guess what? Them shits are protected too.

A $5 investment would have prevented every frustrated poster from being in this thread. As I said before, as SOON as I saw this thread (days before I got my launch PS4), I said, "nope that won't be me" and ordered my grips. I got them bitches from Amazon before I got my PS4 and put them on as soon as I took the DS4 out of the box. Happy camper is happy, and this thread is my daily reminder that it was $5 well spent.

I hope others who have read through this thread and haven't gotten their PS4 or aren't having any problems with their sticks plan on being proactive. Lest you add your sticks to the pile shitty/broken sticks.

The point is not that you can protect your investment for a relatively small sum. The point is that no PS4 owners should need to.

Let's say a controller costs $60 and grips cost $5. By shipping a product in which owners are forced to buy grips to protect their controllers, Sony is forcing it's fans to pay almost a 10% premium to correct a manufacturing defect. Say there are 2 million PS4 owners out there (we know the actual # is higher). Correcting the manufacturing defect for those 2 million people would cost 10 million dollars as a whole (disregarding multiple controllers per owner).

Purexed

Banned
Ya'll are killing me.

Sorry bro, I'm not spending an extra dime to help Sony sidestep what appears to be a clear manufacturing defect. Not to mention the grips themselves are aesthetically ugly in my eyes.

There is a large section of the rubber on my left thumbstick that is already coming off and exposing the plastic. I've treated it well and haven't even played much PS4, I think it's the FIFA thats doing it. Ridiculous

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There is a large section of the rubber on my left thumbstick that is already coming off and exposing the plastic. I've treated it well and haven't even played much PS4, I think it's the FIFA thats doing it. Ridiculous

The controller is covered under your warranty. Just call Sony.

That said, the left stick I saw at a Target had a small bit of rubber coming up.

jbartee

The grips are not only ugly, they also interfere with the control. At least for the Grip-Its, the rubber lip extends down a little too far and chafes against the controller plastic when moving the stick around the circular perimeter. It actually drags a little, introducing friction. Feels fucking terrible. I tried to cut off a bit of the grip's rubber to eliminate the problem, but ended up taking off more than was needed (which was REALLY easy to do, because the amount of overshoot is very subtle). The grip-its won't stay on the stick at all now, rendering them useless. So thats $5 and about an hour of my time down the drain on top of the mess Sony's already made with the substandard rubber coating.

That said, the left stick I saw at a Target had a small bit of rubber coming up.
I Really wonder why it is only the left...

Two of my four controllers left sticks peeled of and for experimentation I began playing aggressively with my right stick way more then left for a few days... No apparent damages and peel happened though.

What the heck? Why is it only the left one did they just poorly made a sloppy job compared to the right stick?

Why didn't they do the same thing on the left stick as they did to the right?

DoomGyver

I have two DS4s, one bought on Amazon a week before launch and the other came with my PS4. I put an even play time on each of them, when the battery is low I swap it out for the other. My amazon DS4 is now starting to peel after playing non stop during the killzone tourney, my original DS4 is still fine.

Bad batch indeed. Will have to contact amazon for a replacement, it's been longer than 30 days so we'll see.

Has Sony made any mention of this problem yet? Is there any kind of solution at the moment?
No and No

Some people suggest getting grips but to some it feels uncomfortable... Others say to replace it but that is just a gamble seeing as nothing will prevent you from getting another bad batch...

I have a feeling that there is more bad batches then good ones in NA

Of course there is a very difficult solution of buying two controllers, dismantling them and getting the two right sticks in one controller to no longer have the issue anymore lol

Rivver

Banned
I haven't had any issue with mine, and my hands get really sweaty when playing games (if that has any impact.) Maybe for once I got lucky?

I use these:

(IMG)

They look like this:

(IMG)

They feel really damn good and I've always HATED stick grips.

How do they feel exactly? I'd like to know since I just set up a return and replace with Sony for both my console and the DS4 that came in the box. I have an additional controller that was bought separately, and it's showing some slower signs of degradation so I'd like to find the best grip add-ons. I use some on one of my DS3's but obviously, it's a different shape.

BTW, for those who want to know, I found out the full name. They're called
Geltabz Universal Silicon Grip - Performance Thumb Gripz (4pcs) for PS3 and PS4

txag2005

Banned
Can somebody post some links to recommended grips? Mine hasn't ripped yet, but the left stick does look a bit worn already so it looks like it's only a matter of time.

Liamc723

My left stick is wearing down fast, and both sticks are flaky, I'm always finding little black bits of rubber on my thumbs after playing.

Can somebody post some links to recommended grips? Mine hasn't ripped yet, but the left stick does look a bit worn already so it looks like it's only a matter of time.

I'm using these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NSLGW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Since day one. Good traction and they actually get better over time after break-in. More "grip-ey", if you will. I wouldn't take them off even if the sticks were 100% good (and they may be good, but I've never spent any time with them with the grips off to know one way or the other).

I really like the traction.

FrankWza

The grips are not only ugly, they also interfere with the control. At least for the Grip-Its, the rubber lip extends down a little too far and chafes against the controller plastic when moving the stick around the circular perimeter. It actually drags a little, introducing friction. Feels fucking terrible. I tried to cut off a bit of the grip's rubber to eliminate the problem, but ended up taking off more than was needed (which was REALLY easy to do, because the amount of overshoot is very subtle). The grip-its won't stay on the stick at all now, rendering them useless. So thats $5 and about an hour of my time down the drain on top of the mess Sony's already made with the substandard rubber coating.

Saw this on a friends ds3.

I have two DS4s, one bought on Amazon a week before launch and the other came with my PS4. I put an even play time on each of them, when the battery is low I swap it out for the other. My amazon DS4 is now starting to peel after playing non stop during the killzone tourney, my original DS4 is still fine.

Bad batch indeed. Will have to contact amazon for a replacement, it's been longer than 30 days so we'll see.

Amazon straight up sent me a free Dualshock 4 when I told them the issues I was having. Now I've got two controllers and the one that was peeling actually stopped doing it so they're both perfectly usable.

Sony couldn't be bothered to have customer service that answered in under an hour so I took matters in my own hands.

Did the ol buy and return switcheroo at Target. Happy to have a complete controller again, for now.

Nice. Working the system to your advantage.

Naudi

Banned
Both mine are breaking :-( One has just a small flap coming off on left side of stick but the other the whole ring around the outside is coming off...1 came with system and other from Gamestop. I'm guessing it's from my kids playing but after the DS3 lasting many years worth of their abuse I'm pretty upset.

DryvBy

I have two controllers and the only problem I have is a sticking trigger. Kind of annoying but I can fix it.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought a new controller a couple of days ago and it already seems to have this problem after a couple of hours. The controller that was included is still as good as it was on the launch day so it really seems to be a bad batch.

ravn0s

I bought a controller to use with my PS3. So far I've played almost 40 hours worth of Ni No Kuni and the sticks are still completely fine.

Oh god, my friend brought FIFA and after an hour my left thumbstick started losing integrity right in the middle. Was holding up fine to Resogun, COD, BF4, and Knack. Poor design, I probably have played my PS4 less than half the time I've logged on my Xbox One, and that controller is holding up pretty well. Though I had to send in my Day One controller that was crusty/defective out of the box at my own expense (10 bucks? Really UPS?) to Microsoft, so it's not like I'm hugely thrilled with either company.

Yea I did, its a hassle tho I have to send it in before I get one and during that time I won't be able to play my PS4. Guess I have to buy another controller too.

Oh god, my friend brought FIFA and after an hour my left thumbstick started losing integrity right in the middle. Was holding up fine to Resogun, COD, BF4, and Knack. Poor design, I probably have played my PS4 less than half the time I've logged on my Xbox One, and that controller is holding up pretty well. Though I had to send in my Day One controller that was crusty/defective out of the box at my own expense (10 bucks? Really UPS?) to Microsoft, so it's not like I'm hugely thrilled with either company.

I use the left stick so aggressively when playing FIFA I'm almost positive that's what does the thumbstick in

I talked to Sony about it, they said the retailer that sold it to you will take care of it.

I sent in my controller and got a new one for free.
I love the new DS4, Sony just needs to up the quality of it.

The controller that came with the PS4 looks like this now.
photo4_zpsed0058e3.jpg

Even the R button broke, but it was still playable.
photo_zps55e0bf31.jpg

big_z

Hate how sweaty the rubber is.

wait the sticks still ooze that slime shit? I thought sony claimed they had fixed that problem with the ps4.

This console is built so cheap, its a nice looking device just cheap shell and analogs.

sony as a company has no money so they cut costs like mad to maximize profit while trying to maintain their original vision. unfortunately they cut a bit to much in the build quality and were seeing the results.

Has Sony made any mention of this problem yet? Is there any kind of solution at the moment?

they likely wont mention it and never do anything about it. in the early days of the ps3 the six axis controllers would constantly lose sync with the console and sony turned a blind eye to the issue and simply released the dual shock 3 instead. a silent revision of the ps4 controller is likely.

I talked to Sony about it, they said the retailer that sold it to you will take care of it.

photo4_zpsed0058e3.jpg

photo_zps55e0bf31.jpg

Although yours is even more worn, the one at my local Gamestop is like this already. The wear and tear is something I used to see on 2 year old stands to the PS1 back in the day. I'm hoping they fix the issues soon.

JLeack

Banned
The entire controller isn't well thought out. 8 hour battery life and the sticks have a really odd shape. Why couldnt they have proper dimples?

The extra controller I picked up on launch is also seeing this issue on the analog stick, nothing has happend to the L or R buttons so far.

I will get it replaced.

The feel of the rubber on the analog sticks are great! I love the grip they give. Once the rubber starts getting worn down and it looses those tiny dimples that give you grip, the stick becomes very slick.

Silurus

photo4_zpsed0058e3.jpg

photo_zps55e0bf31.jpg

Looks like a crack in the casing near the trigger. Did you drop it?

Dante316

How do they feel exactly? I'd like to know since I just set up a return and replace with Sony for both my console and the DS4 that came in the box. I have an additional controller that was bought separately, and it's showing some slower signs of degradation so I'd like to find the best grip add-ons. I use some on one of my DS3's but obviously, it's a different shape.

BTW, for those who want to know, I found out the full name. They're called
Geltabz Universal Silicon Grip - Performance Thumb Gripz (4pcs) for PS3 and PS4

Mine arrived few days ago. Fit perfect, like the traction. Hope it stays like this.

wait the sticks still ooze that slime shit? I thought sony claimed they had fixed that problem with the ps4.
Its kinda worse than past Dualshocks, past ones didn't feel weird and sweaty till the grip was worn out after a few months.
Dualshock 4 fills like it directly out of the package. You won't even be using the controller you wipe the grease off, come back 5 minutes later and the grease is already back.

Outside of premature stick wear, my packaged controller started to have the left stick drift. I promptly bought another stick and intend on contacting Sony.

Top Bottom