• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Korezo

2 of my friends have this issue but me and another friend of mine don't. I don't know how some peoples sticks are wearing down so fast.

stay gold

My left thumb stick is also completely torn from playing FIFA.

I hope Sony acknowledge and fix this soon as it's really not acceptable. I certainly won't be buying another pad until they sort it.

char0n

Just about a month and a half in of moderate use (some days I'll use it for 4 hours, some days I won't get a chance to use it, most days I spend 1-2 hours with it) and no issues with my DS4. It had a small fingernail-edge sized indentation in it on the bottom of the left stick I noticed about a week in, but after that absolutely nothing, and I've not only used it but carried it around loose in a stuffed backpack fairly regularly too. I'm guessing it's either a group of bad first-run batches thing, or there's some weird common thing among those experiencing this, like maybe a higher concentration of something in their sweat (or really sweaty hands) that reacts with the rubber (which does feel significantly different from the DS3 in that it's definitely softer)... Otherwise it's a real headscratcher why this would both be such a common issue yet not at all across the board.

I posted a photo here when my left thumb stick was beginning to show signs of damage and this is it now.

IMG_20140124_122052_zpsufi9uuys.jpg

The tear was on the bottom but I took apart the controller and flipped it to the top. I contacted amazon about it and they refunded me $65. I just recently purchased these replacement thumb sticks http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=badf798e504e4b18befae0bf61ec216b&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D161169550724%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A3160 the description says they are original, I'll let you guys know how they work.

Forsete

People what ARE you doing?

Seriously, MY controllers arent showing ANY signs of this.

Kidding aside, my controllers are still like new, but that can be due to me not playing any games at the moment. I fear for the worst and I will contact Sony when and if it happens.

I wish Sony could acknowledge that this has been fixed. Time for a new twitter campaign? :p

Regarding those stick replacements: If they are really "original", wouldn't they show the same problems after a while?

There were more people in this thread ordering those, would be nice to know if some of them already tried them out.

Regarding those stick replacements: If they are really "original", wouldn't they show the same problems after a while?

There were more people in this thread ordering those, would be nice to know if some of them already tried them out.

The majority of people are not having this problem, hopefully this will be the case for the replacements.

Logash

I have two remotes and one of them has a TINY flap on rubber (or whatever that material is) sticking out. I wonder if it will eventually end up being the entire stick but idk. I feel like pulling it.

They do not look the same judging by the picture, but mine haven't come yet. In any event I'm just assuming they'll render the problem moot for many months if not indefinitely.

RedAssedApe

Banned

assumption is that this was a bad batch. otherwise there would be a shitstorm and 4.2 million people with their pitchforks out ;)

if Sony acknowledges this and plans on doing something about it, wouldn't it be better for them to send us little repair kits with some sticks and a screw driver instead of shipping the controllers back and forth?

assumption is that this was a bad batch. otherwise there would be a shitstorm and 4.2 million people with their pitchforks out ;)

I don't buy the "bad batch" theory at all. This is about people who are a bit rough with their controllers. The thing is, as someone who is admittedly rough with them, the sticks are still failing at an unacceptable rate. I mean on some level we are talking about a kid's toy here, after all - I shouldn't have to baby the damn things.

I'm not rough with mine at all, and I'm starting to see peeling towards the bottom, right at the inner base of the ridge. Not good after only 2 months! Amazon sent me a new one as a courtesy, but I'm assuming it's only a matter of time until it happens with this one.

Curious to see if Sony is going to address this.

I don't buy the "bad batch" theory at all. This is about people who are a bit rough with their controllers. The thing is, as someone who is admittedly rough with them, the sticks are still failing at an unacceptable rate. I mean on some level we are talking about a kid's toy here, after all - I shouldn't have to baby the damn things.

Neither a bad batch, nor roughness. It's probably about friction.

I really use all of my electronical equipment carefully, even in games like FIFA. The only thing I could think of is the length of my gaming sessions. When I play, I do it for multiple hours, and that might be a problem for the rubber material.

Kyoufu

Yeah I was thinking of trying those out. Do they fit nice and snug on the thumbsticks? The grip its aren't a perfect fit.

Yep it's a perfect fit. No problems at all.

It comes with two styles of grips; a studded surface and a smooth surface grip. I use the smooth one. Thumb doesn't slip from the left stick anymore. Great stuff.

Lucreto

60 hours of AC IV for me and about another 30 from my brother using the same controller and no sign of wear. I have been keeping an eye on this topic just in case.

Neither a bad batch, nor roughness. It's probably about friction.

I really use all of my electronical equipment carefully, even in games like FIFA. The only thing I could think of is the length of my gaming sessions. When I play, I do it for multiple hours, and that might be a problem for the rubber material.

I don't care how much friction you put on them, this should not be happening, especially within a month of use. This is my launch day sixaxis controller
IMG_20140124_165035_zps2i3mekic.jpg

I used this controller for almost 4 yrs to the point that the left thumb stick stopped springing back to center. As you can see the rubber on the thumb sticks show little to no wear. This is either a bad batch or Sony seriously made a bad decision when choosing the rubber on the DS4.

Odrion

Banned
Agh, okay. One of my Dualshocks definitely has a sticky right analogue stick. It's weird. The sticks on this controller have no friction to them, and yet the right one is leaving a sticky residue on my thumb.

Is there anyway to fix this?

lvb

Neo Member
Both of my controllers developed a little knick on the sides of the analog stick rubber after a week or two of use. Retailer offered to replace but I'd have to send in the whole console which just seemed excessive. Bought some thumbstick grips/covers instead and no further damage. The analogs aren't as good to use, but I'd rather spend £3 to keep the DS4 alive than £50 to replace it or send off the entire console.

Edit: The grips I have are the ones linked a few posts up. Would definitely recommend!

Minions

It is not about being rough, or fingernails. (I have no nails) The design itself seems to be flawed (there is very little material, and hard plastic under the rubber... meaning the hard plastic if not sanded down properly before applying the rubber coating, can make the sticks wear in certain places.) Perhaps not all controllers have this issue... however mine started showing wear on one part, so I immediately ordered/put caps on the sticks.

I think its pretty crazy how many people have this issue and people still think people are stabbing their joysticks, or intentionally being rough. I've NEVER had this issue with a Xbox 360, or PS3 controller.... or any other controller for that matter. This issue is exclusive to the PS4, and hopefully Sony addresses it accordingly.

It is not about being rough, or fingernails. (I have no nails) The design itself seems to be flawed (there is very little material, and hard plastic under the rubber... meaning the hard plastic if not sanded down properly before applying the rubber coating, can make the sticks wear in certain places.) Perhaps not all controllers have this issue... however mine started showing wear on one part, so I immediately ordered/put caps on the sticks.

I think its pretty crazy how many people have this issue and people still think people are stabbing their joysticks, or intentionally being rough. I've NEVER had this issue with a Xbox 360, or PS3 controller.... or any other controller for that matter. This issue is exclusive to the PS4, and hopefully Sony addresses it accordingly.

Yep. I've never had an issue with any other controller. If its like this and I barely used it it makes me think its only going to get worse over time. Also my x button started to stick once in a while too. I'm not rough with my controllers and actually I don't game as much as a lot of y'all do.

goldenpp72

This situation kind of reminds me of the 360 Analog drift problem that people kept saying wasn't real or that you mistreat your controllers, seems to be a common reaction to any defect.. I really hope Sony can address and fix this issue in a public way so I know it's ok to buy the controllers.

Gusto

At first I didn't believe it but, after a few games of Resogun I noticed today that both sticks were starting to tear. The other day I spent a few hours on Resogun and noticed my right thumb was turning black from the stick. $60 controllers shouldn't wear out this fast.

RedAssedApe

Banned
A very small number of users have reported to us that the rubber surface of their Wireless Controller DUALSHOCK®4′s analogue sticks have torn.

Although the rubber material of the analogue sticks fulfils our quality assurance standard, we will inspect individual DUALSHOCK®4 controllers experiencing this symptom, and will replace them with new ones for free as long as they are within the warranty.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/01/27/sony-responds-to-dualshock-4-wearing-tearing/

seems like a standard reply. probably the best you're going to get about it.

satori

this is really fuking bullshit. I just got a new controller so my son and I can play the new lego game together. After just a few hours, the new left thumbstick is breaking down. Really really annoyed.

My other two controller btw works just fine. No visible wear and tear and I been playing a ton on them since launch. It seems the one I got just the other day came from a bad batch.

In my experience, the grip its have helped alot. Ir takes getting uses to though. It can slip sometimes but overall good.

Glad to hear some are taking the advice and getting some sort of grip covers.

FWIW, the grip-its get more and more grippy over time. For lack of better words.

I am glad you have been peering into my house, watching me play my PS4, just so you can know that I am rough with my controllers. Which I am not, by the way, yet I've had three DS4s all show signs of wear since launch.

Glad to hear some are taking the advice and getting some sort of grip covers.

FWIW, the grip-its get more and more grippy over time. For lack of better words.
It may be advice, but I don't consider it good advice. This issue should not be happening. Period. My DS3 of four years' of use shows little wear, whereas my DS4s are already becoming smooth.

I have one controller and played 100s of FIFA/BF4/KZ matches and completed ACIV. I have absolutely no issues with either sticks.

Glad because I don't want to put grip tits on my controller.

You could go nuts and replace your sticks with aluminum ones:
http://modsticks.com/ps4-modsticks-pro-analog-sticks-d-pad-blue/

I actually just did this. Here are some pics of the final installation.

The build quality of these is high, and I recommend them. But be warned, the only installation guide they have is for an Xbox 360, and the teardown of a Dualshock 4 is quite different than that of a Xbox 360 controller. Because of this, I went to youtube and found a video for a dualshock 4 teardown.

I was a bit worried that there was no way in hell I would ever get the thing re-assembled correctly, but in the end I did, and everything works great.

One word of caution: In my piture you can see that the d-pad sticks all the way up out of the controller. In order to do this I had to physically cut off a piece of the dualshock 4 controller because it has an x-shaped piece of plastic covering the d-pad enclosure, where the buttons are supposed to stick out. DON'T DO THIS. I've already spoken to the owner of modsticks.com and he's going to make a dualshock 4 installation video to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else, but basically if you look in the center of the d-pad on my controller, you can see a little circular thing. That thing unscrews (totally not obvious, btw) and then it fits into the ds4 even with the x-shaped plastic thing in place.

magetf

Neo Member
please, for the love of god…

SOMEONE OR SOME VENDOR PLEASE JUST SELL DS3 STYLE REPLACEMENT STICKS!!!

T___T

http://dx.com/p/replacement-plastic-3d-joystick-cap-for-ps4-black-4-pcs-291001#.UwGd84Xwqsc

or

http://dx.com/p/replacement-plastic-3d-joystick-cap-for-ps4-black-284928#.UwGeYYXwqsc

It will take a while to get them since they ship from china, but they are cheap.

Personally I have had no problems with my controller, I even tried to get the rubber to slip or crack and it's holding strong.

Top Bottom