• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

turnbuckle

Can't believe we're still getting "what are you guys doing to your controllers" responses. We've already had early doubters eating crow. 36 (18) pages and people are still thinking it's a user problem?

I'm using the ones I originally had on my Sixaxis. They fit fine and work great. I recommend them even if your stick rubber is perfect.

I like the attachments, but I'm noticing when playing Battlefield (particularly when flying jets for some reason) that the stick will pop off.

Now I'm worried that the attachments will do further damage to the sticks and make it impossible to get a return for the controller if I need it. I emailed amazon about the issue and told them also that I bought the attachments to try to cover up the DS4 analog problem. I don't want them to think the attachments are the reason for the unnecessary wear on the controller; it's the unnecessary wear on the controller that gave me cause to buy the attachments in the first place.

I definitely played BF4 better with those attachments though. I like the different sizing of the sticks (shorter on left, longer on right). I'm not really fond of the feel of the rubber on the right, convex stick, as much but the results don't lie. After an hour or so of getting accustomed to them I'm generally averaging closer to a 1:1 KD ratio in Battlefield 4. A lot of times it's even better. Prior to that I was sitting on a .68 ratio (on over 2000 kills, 3000 deaths...so not a tiny sample size) and now I'm at about a .78.

Yeah, I'm bad at the game. I don't play FPS often at all, only a few in my life. But I'm getting better and the attachment allows me to play with higher sensitivity. So I'm able to turn/aim more quickly when I need to, but the extra length allows me to do slightly finer adjustments so I don't feel like aiming is over sensitive. Even the default sensitivity was too much for me on BF4 before the attachments, now I play at 27%. Would be great if I could get used to it at an even higher setting.

coldfoot

Banned
Calling Amazon worked! They placed a DS4 in my cart, applied a $60 credit, and made me order it. I asked them 3 times what they wanted to do with my current controller and they told me to keep it or throw it away or send it to Sony, they didn't want it.

Success! Amazon's awesome, stuff like this + great prices is why I'll keep using them forever...

So what are my options on "repairing" the existing controller? Do they sell replacement rubber?

Calling Amazon worked! They placed a DS4 in my cart, applied a $60 credit, and made me order it. I asked them 3 times what they wanted to do with my current controller and they told me to keep it or throw it away or send it to Sony, they didn't want it.

Success! Amazon's awesome, stuff like this + great prices is why I'll keep using them forever...

So what are my options on "repairing" the existing controller? Do they sell replacement rubber?

Awesome. Might as well get some grip-its for the messed up controller. It might make it tolerable.

coldfoot

Banned
Does anyone have recommendations for grips available on amazon.de/co.uk/fr/it/es?

I mean how do you guys handle it when you exchanged one of the controllers? Do you keep using them normally and if they show the problems too, you send them in again?
I'm afraid Sony refuses to do that multiple times, but on the other hand I like the feel and don't want to use any grips.

What the hell did you Amazon whisperers say to them? They want me to send the controller back... which is fine I guess. But getting a new controller shipped out right away and getting to keep the old one would be much better.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What the hell did you Amazon whisperers say to them? They want me to send the controller back... which is fine I guess. But getting a new controller shipped out right away and getting to keep the old one would be much better.

I'm guessing its just luck of the draw on who you get. I mean I do have a long history of shopping on Amazon and don't have too many returns. But I actually haven't been buying as much from them as of late due to the whole tax thing in CA.

I can PM you the text I used when I e-mailed Amazon if you want. They didn't even ask me anything just e-mailed back saying "here's $60 game credit...you can use it to order a new DS4"

They look at your history with them.
Are you calling me an Amazon Dick? I totally buy lots of stuff, an d don't return much. Also been Prime for years. They SHOULD like me.
I'm guessing its just luck of the draw on who you get. I mean I do have a long history of shopping on Amazon and don't have too many returns. But I actually haven't been buying as much from them as of late due to the whole tax thing in CA.

I can PM you the text I used when I e-mailed Amazon if you want. They didn't even ask me anything just e-mailed back saying "here's $60 game credit...you can use it to order a new DS4"

I appreciate the offer... but to make it happen I'd have to I don't even know, cancel the replacement they are trying to ship me before it ships, and hope they don't notice? See, I'm not an Amazon Dick, so I won't be doing that. Oh well.

Baleoce

Just went into my local GAME store. Was a 2 player FIFA area for PS4. Both left analogue sticks were peeling away and looked somewhat knackered.

I really don't think that this problem is an exception anymore. Today I was talking to a few friends owing PS4's too, everyone was complaining about their left sticks slowly falling apart.

Sony needs to release a new revision ASAP.

turnbuckle

Amazon didn't offer to let me replace my DS4 but they are refunding 40% of the price of one. Considering the controller is usable and getting a replacement will likely end up with the same issue until Sony really fixes the issue I'm happy with the compromise.

Wwwwwelp

190V0ul.jpg

Not sure how this happened exactly as my brother has been using it the most. I've noticed minor wear for the past couple weeks though.

I guess trying Sony is the best option for non-Amazon buyers? Or maybe just grabbing some replacement pads?

I just painted over my sticks with black nail polish after seeing a little bit of wear from a handful of FIFA games. Hope that works well.

SerodD

So yesterday I was playing and mine started falling apart, I don't think I'll touch it until I recieve grip it's from amazon, is it working for everyone? Does it realy stop the wear?

Doombear

^ As far as I can tell it is. Mine are very snug, so I don't really want to remove them entirely to check, but peeling them back a bit and things look good.

For the record, I decided to add the Grip Its before any major rubber tearing. I had started noticing in FIFA that the left stick was just getting a bit more smooth, had less grip. So I ordered the Grip Its from Amazon before things got worse. Love them. They feel much better to me than the original sticks and that really surprised me.

Snaku

Banned
Amazon didn't offer to let me replace my DS4 but they are refunding 40% of the price of one. Considering the controller is usable and getting a replacement will likely end up with the same issue until Sony really fixes the issue I'm happy with the compromise.

Seems to be a crap shoot depending on who you speak with. My Amazon rep offered me a 50% refund.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My sticks are fine, but my R1 button needs to popped off and cleaned every two weeks. It's pretty bad.

HardRojo

I suppose we can expect improvements in next batches of controllers right? I've visited 2 Sony stores and both had controllers with their sticks peeled off :/

Mackins

Has anyone reported problems with the Red/Blue versions?

My Magma Red controllers rubber split and started coming off the stick, I swapped the stick with my Black controller and that one split too, so I had to swap the other, now my Black controller has two split sticks, I span them around though so the split is on the top right of both sticks instead of bottom left.

I was in the 'What are people doing with their controllers?' camp too, then I started playing FIFA and within days they were destroyed.

Cyborg

Posted a few times here but some people dont believe the problem is real.
Ive made a picture, this is after a couple of matches of FIFA14.

If you say I dont use it right or misuse it I want to say that Im a (retro) game-collector. If you are interested to see how well I care for my stuff look at my Instagram account: hajrudinsmajilbegovic

US5CIgt.jpg

Jedi2016

Posted a few times here but some people dont believe the problem is real.
I don't think you'll find too many people here to think the problem isn't real. What you'll find, however, are a lot of people who haven't had the issue. Meaning it IS real, it's just not widespread, and certainly doesn't happen on every controller ever made.

Go get another one.

Cyborg

I don't think you'll find too many people here to think the problem isn't real. What you'll find, however, are a lot of people who haven't had the issue. Meaning it IS real, it's just not widespread, and certainly doesn't happen on every controller ever made.

Go get another one.

Ive have two controllers and both have it...But the blue one has def. more peeling.

SHADES

I'll say it again. I have never had anything like this happen before with any controller. And I have damn sure never seen anything like this happen so soon after launch. Especially to this degree.

I had the exact same thing happen to my 360 scuf animal (£110) but that was after 6 months of use & outside of scuf's 60 day warranty, point being it does happen on other controllers, actually I used to go through a 360 pad every 6 months with some kind of failure, these pads aren't bullet proof.

ironcreed

Banned
I had the exact same thing happen to my 360 scuf animal (£110) but that was after 6 months of use & outside of scuf's 60 day warranty, point being it does happen on other controllers, actually I used to go through a 360 pad every 6 months with some kind if failure, these pads aren't bullet proof.

Of course they are not bulletproof and I never implied that they were. I simply said I have never had such a problem with any controller, nor have I seen this kind of an issue so soon after launch affecting so many people. It's obviously a problem.

XxCGSxX

I don't know if this helps out but here goes, maybe this haves to do with grease/sweat from hands. I wash my hands everytime before touching a controller/handheld, also I have a cleaning cloth and everytime I'm done playing I "clean" my thumbsticks even if they do not feel sweaty or dirty, my hands sweat a lot specially if it's cold at night. So far both sticks look the same way since launch and I play NBA 2k14 for hours every day.

SHADES

Of course they are not bulletproof and I never implied that they were. I simply said I have never had such a problem with any controller, nor have I seen this kind of an issue so soon after launch affecting so many people. It's obviously a problem.

I never said you did, just pointing out it happens & it also happens to top end pads also. Rubber, lots of use/friction will only lead to wear, I have 2 DS4's will plenty if use on the one but only slight wear, I'm not disputing the problem but if I had a problem I'd take it back & get a new one.

I loved the 360 pad but it was prone to failure just like most things that have moving parts & plenty of use, things break???

As long as Sony are supporting customers & address the issue in future then all we can do is give them feedback & hopefully it will be sorted.

The_Monk

My DS4 has a very similar wearing like the one fellow GAFfer Cyborg posted. It's really impressive how I have this issue since I barely played with my PS4 (and I also keep everything pristine).

My friend got a PS4 last week from someone who had a pre-order but didn't went to claim it and in less than 8 days he's already with the same problem, left analog stick on the lower part too. I was going to get an extra controller, was thinking about the red one but I'll let this sink for some time and hope they share some info, if not then I'll skip it for now.

Majanew

Banned
My PS4 controller's left stick is starting to show signs of peeling. :(

Sony really didn't put this controller through play tests.

My R1 button was sticking too, but I've temporarily fixed it.

Guess I'll hold off on buying a new controller until this one gets worse. Which won't be too much longer from the looks of it. Sony needs to fix this ASAP.

I don't know if this helps out but here goes, maybe this haves to do with grease/sweat from hands. I wash my hands everytime before touching a controller/handheld, also I have a cleaning cloth and everytime I'm done playing I "clean" my thumbsticks even if they do not feel sweaty or dirty, my hands sweat a lot specially if it's cold at night. So far both sticks look the same way since launch and I play NBA 2k14 for hours every day.

Yeah, I don't buy that. Doesn't matter how clean your hands are. Your skin's texture and natural oils rub the rubber down because it's cheap garbage.

nah, if it was caused by dirty/sweaty hands all of the person's controllers would be doing this. I think it's a bad batch of rubber coating on the sticks. It seems to be pretty widespread (most of the retail units I see out in the wild have it) but I'd imagine in 6 months it'll be gone and forgotten.

i'm sure sony is already aware of this issue and i hope that they quickly address it in their manufacturing process. i'm really digging my ps4, but i think it's clear they've cheaper out with regards to build quality of the system and controllers in order to turn a profit quicker.

1. It is not caused by dirty fingers or sweaty palms.
  2. I is not because some people use unnecessary force on their controller.
  3. No one bites their controller... well hopefully no one.
  4. It does not matter if you have a red,blue, yellow or pink controller it happens no matter the color.
  5. It is not because you have magic soft fingers or extra high hygienic standards. If your controller is not shedding its rubber padding. It´s luck.
  6. Thumbstick pads does help a little with the shedding, the controllers still shed the rubber underneath. - In my humble opinion they make the sticks very slippery.

This is a very big problem for many DS4 owners and it is most likely caused by a bad mix of the rubber used on some DS4 Controllers. In my country, Games stop and many other stores exchanges the controllers no questions asked, they know it is a problem. A very large one at that. :)

FrankWza

Go get another one.

Problem is another one will have the same problem most likely. It's going to appear on more and more controllers. I know 10 people with ps4 and 7 have the issue. Ranging from launch to Xmas unboxing and all appeared at different times. The other 3 will probably get it too. Just a matter of when. I know it's a small sample but it just ends up appearing at some point. Too many variables to pinpoint why but it's probably a combo of most of the reasons covered in this thread. It's easily fixable/rreplaceable though. Glad it's not faulty systems.

Moozo

This has started happening to mine now. For reference it happened to all four 360 controllers I ever owned too - just took longer and was less extreme.

Brohan

It's definitely a problem, already traded one controller because it was showing signs that the rubber was degrading after only a few hours of use.

It kinda looks like when u use an eraser.

Maligna

Banned
I know this isn't ideal, but has anyone thought of using their Vita as a controller until a new run of DS4s can be produced? I was playing Lego Marvel with my Vita and it was fine. Maybe it wouldn't work so well for twitch games though.

Top Bottom