• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

wizzbang

Banned
I measured it on my PC, i'm not losing anything with the xbox one sticks. They are direct pulls from a real xbox one stick.
There are xbox one sticks that are shaped like the DS3 analogs. I want to try those in the future, as I prefer those as well.

The downside of the xbox one sticks are comfort and surface space. The ridges feel like sandpaper.

Expensive though :/ to kill an Xbox 1 controller to save a PS4.
The replacement DS3 sticks I got on ebay, they appear to be fairly close to the real thing and were not that pricey - may be an option for people.

I'm not saying I know what is causing these problems, but I do know this. If you're holding an analog stick in a way that involves your thumb nail coming in contact with the analog stick, that's strange. That is probably not a scenario the engineers making controllers would consider.

I just attempted to recreate such a scenario myself, and found it very difficult to do, on purpose.
Exactly, no one does it. That's why these stick issues are a problem.

Have people in other regions (Europe, Asia, etc.) reported having these issues or is it just NA?

I live in Taiwan and have had my PS4 since launch day (12/18) and also bought an extra controller. I've been alternating between the two.

Granted, I had a long hiatus from playing because I was in Canada over the holidays for two weeks, but I've been playing quite regularly since I got back on the 3rd and the reports on GAF have kept me quite paranoid/OCD about my thumb sticks.

Knock on wood, so far so good.

kaioshade

So far my sticks have not peeled yet, but i have not used them too terribly much. Since playing Saint's Row Izv on the PC, i have been using the hell out of the controller. I just might have to switch some xbox one analogs into it just to prevent this.

Minions

I'm not saying I know what is causing these problems, but I do know this. If you're holding an analog stick in a way that involves your thumb nail coming in contact with the analog stick, that's strange. That is probably not a scenario the engineers making controllers would consider.

I just attempted to recreate such a scenario myself, and found it very difficult to do, on purpose.

All I can tell you is I have the issue, and I'm a chronic nail biter.... (I can stop if I make a conscious decision to do so, I did for an entire year at one point) I have had no nails at any point during my ownership of my PS4.

I've personally seen two people admit to it! Why would you deny that? I'm not saying thumb nails explain this threads existence, but they do seem to explain some of the cases.

Even if this were true, don't you think that a mechanism made to be controlled with your thumbs be designed strong enough to withstand contact with a thumbnail?

Bishop89

Have 2 ds4's. One I bought on the 29th nov in store, the second I got with my ps4 around mid december. Use both a lot and no probs whatsoever. Aussie here

Twio

I just went to amazon chat and asked them if they could replace my controller and they said they could go ahead and give me a $60 promo credit so I could just reorder a controller. I suggest the rest of you should go try that.

It might be because I'm Amazon prime and buy the majority of my games/etc. goods from Amazon.

I have Prime too and I'm a frequent customer and they told me I have to send my entire console in to get a new controller. It seems like I always get shitty reps on their online chat.

Two DS4 controllers here, one getting more use than the other (though I grab whichever is closest when playing) and the left thumbstick's covering has started to crack/peel a bit. My hands don't sweat when I play games, don't rest my nails on them or any such silliness, and I haven't logged in a crazy amount of hours on my PS4 or anything.

All I can tell you is I have the issue, and I'm a chronic nail biter.... (I can stop if I make a conscious decision to do so, I did for an entire year at one point) I have had no nails at any point during my ownership of my PS4.

No nails at all? That's gotta be uncomfortable and possibly painful :)

my DS4's sticks were fine until i used it to play Resident Evil 6. the damn quick time events where you have to rotate the left stick caused it to start peeling. i was using my palm to rotate the stick instead of my thumb, though, since they're so frequent and require you to be quick.

BONDO

To the guys with Geltabz or any sort of thumb grip. Do they clip on or is it like some glue?(hope not)

Debating a purchase to put on my DS4 before anything happens eventually

R-User!

The peeling bug got me too. Called Amazon and they decided to give me one but with a lot of repetitious back-and-forth back-and-forth, but I think I'm getting one for free and I don't have to send one back with an RMA, I think.

I blame and thank Resogun!

I have Prime too and I'm a frequent customer and they told me I have to send my entire console in to get a new controller. It seems like I always get shitty reps on their online chat.

They told me that and I told them that didn't make any sense because the controller was defective, NOT the system! Be strong! Don't settle for what makes no sense.

I got my first DS4 on November 29th, the 2nd one some time in mid-december. While the first one does not show any "use", the 2nd one literally started falling apart since last week.

The ring on the left stick is already "cut off" halfway, while the right stick is completely fine.
I didn't even notice when all that happened. At the beginning, it started flaking, and after another few hours, there was a small hole that started to expand.

Note that I do not use my nails to control the stick as they're really short, I move the sticks by softly pushing on the inside of said ring.

Already sent a mail to Sony but no response at all, so I'll give them a call later.

That's what it looks like btw: http://s1.directupload.net/images/140115/qnoz5no9.jpg

sca2511

My two DS4s are showing a little bit of flaking on the the bottom most part of the left analog stick. Hope it doesn't wear out too crazy.

BONDO

Anyone buy Geltabz or any thumb enchancment thing to put over the sticks?
Do they snap on....or glued?(eww)

Lookin for some impressions

NahNever

Banned
My two DS4s are showing a little bit of flaking on the the bottom most part of the left analog stick. Hope it doesn't wear out too crazy.

Sorry, you're already doomed. Mine started by first slowly flaking, then it stopped and stabilised for a while. Then it started flaking far more aggressively and ultimately peeling, and just didn't stop till it went all the way to the bone. If I were you I would start getting in contact with Sony now.

Mattias

Banned
Have people in other regions (Europe, Asia, etc.) reported having these issues or is it just NA?

I live in Taiwan and have had my PS4 since launch day (12/18) and also bought an extra controller. I've been alternating between the two.

Granted, I had a long hiatus from playing because I was in Canada over the holidays for two weeks, but I've been playing quite regularly since I got back on the 3rd and the reports on GAF have kept me quite paranoid/OCD about my thumb sticks.

Knock on wood, so far so good.

Its the same problems here in Sweden. My left thumbstick is peeling rubber after maybe 30 hours of use.

McFadge

Australian PS4 owner here, my controller that came with the system started degrading after a couple of days of use. Oddly enough, the top layer has started peeling off, but it hasn't seemed to have progressed much further than that (other than the affected area increasing) even with much more play time?

If anybody's still keeping track of models, mine is an F1, made in China.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
just noticed a crack in my rubber... bought it when they first released DS4 overseas so used fair bit on PS3 also before PS4 came out

sca2511

Sorry, you're already doomed. Mine started by first slowly flaking, then it stopped and stabilised for a while. Then it started flaking far more aggressively and ultimately peeling, and just didn't stop till it went all the way to the bone. If I were you I would start getting in contact with Sony now.

Ah damnit. So there are no controller revisions released yet?

Guys, my DS4s (one pre-launch, and one that came with my PS4) seem to be fine.

But, you have to really wonder if this will be fixed once Sony releases Red and Blue controllers in NA, though.

NahNever

Banned
Ah damnit. So there are no controller revisions released yet?

It not necessarily that there is a product default as a lot of controllers aren't suffering from it; it's just that something must have gone wrong in manufacturing that is causing this to happen to quite a lot of controllers. Hopefully they know what that is and have since corrected it.

If I were you, I would avoid going to Sony for a replacement. They expect you to not only send it in (so they can run their so-called tests), but to wait until they've verified the problem before they decide whether to replace it for you or not. Really pathetic. Whereas all I had to do was call Amazon, who were well aware of the issue, and they immediately sent me a replacement controller through next day delivery free of charge.

I really wish Sony would own up to the issue instead of remaining silent. Or at least speed up their system. They expect you to just wait for 3 weeks or more without a controller while they do their "thing".

It not necessarily that there is a product default as a lot of controllers aren't suffering from it; it's just that something must have gone wrong in manufacturing that is causing this to happen to quite a lot of controllers. Hopefully they know what that is and have since corrected it.

If I were you, I would avoid going to Sony for a replacement. They expect you to not only send it in (so they can run their so-called tests), but to wait until they've verified the problem before they decide whether to replace it for you or not. Really pathetic. Whereas all I had to do was call Amazon, who were well aware of the issue, and they immediately sent me a replacement controller through next day delivery free of charge.

I really wish Sony would own up to the issue instead of remaining silent. Or at least speed up their system. They expect you to just wait for 3 weeks or more without a controller while they do their "thing".

Amazon Germany told me they were advised to tell customers to contact Sony directly regarding replacement products, no matter if it's the console itself, or a DS4, or the camera etc.
Could be the case in more european countries.

Mattias

Banned
I contacted the place of purchase and they told me to bring it in for a replacement. Ill probably exchange it this weekend.

NahNever

Banned
Amazon Germany told me they were advised to tell customers to contact Sony directly regarding replacement products, no matter if it's the console itself, or a DS4, or the camera etc.
Could be the case in more european countries.

I used Amazon UK, and there was no hassles. It was just a "sorry about the inconvenience, we know of the issue. Your free replacement DS4 will be sent to you with next-day delivery".

coldfoot

Banned
I noticed that my left analog has a one-inch gash on it. I never had ANY problems with DS3 durability for years, so I am on the bandwagon here. How do I get a free replacement?

I noticed that my left analog has a one-inch gash on it. I never had ANY problems with DS3 durability for years, so I am on the bandwagon here. How do I get a free replacement?

Depends on your country. Start by contacting your retailer, they'll give you further instructions.

coldfoot

Banned
Depends on your country. Start by contacting your retailer, they'll give you further instructions.
Amazon lets me return/exchange but since it's the controller that came with the entire console, it looks like I can only exchange the entire console?
It's the USA where we don't usually go to stores but do everything online

Amazon lets me return/exchange but since it's the controller that came with the entire console, it looks like I can only exchange the entire console?

Amazon wants you to send in the entire console but I heard of several cases where people kept up the pressure until Amazon accepted sending in the DS4 only. Keep calling/mailing them until you reach the right CS employee.

Or contact Sony PlayStation directly.

coldfoot

Banned
Well I contacted sony, and they said I'd have to pay to ship the controller to them. FUCK THAT WTF FU SONY. I'd rather take out the 1TB drive I got in the unit, put the 500GB back, pack it all up, and send it back to Amazon for FREE. Sony's going to get burned on a return just because they're class A morons. FUCK YOU SONY.

I'd advise EVERYONE to stop buying PS4's until Sony got their act together and design a controller that holds up. I used DS3's for YEARS and none of this happened. This is the RROD of Sony, it's just as bad.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well I contacted sony, and they said I'd have to pay to ship the controller to them. FUCK THAT WTF FU SONY. I'd rather take out the 1TB drive I got in the unit, put the 500GB back, pack it all up, and send it back to Amazon for FREE. Sony's going to get burned on a return just because they're class A morons. FUCK YOU SONY.

Calm down chief. Call again and try and get them to waive the shipping fee.

In two days I will have been waiting on my PS4 for two weeks. Sony support is shitty, and slow, and after my status request call was done and I was angry they pulled a "just one more thing, sir" thing and asked if I would consider the warranty...

Disgusting.

Microsoft's support is no better.

coldfoot

Banned
Calm down chief. Call again and try and get them to waive the shipping fee.
Fuck that my time ain't free. I'd rather see retailers/Sony lose money because of this. I'm returning my PS4 and I'll rebuy later in the summer when they've got their act straight.

Note to self: NEVER BUY A LAUNCH CONSOLE

Fuck that my time ain't free. I'd rather see retailers/Sony lose money because of this. I'm returning my PS4 and I'll rebuy later in the summer when they've got their act straight.

Note to self: NEVER BUY A LAUNCH CONSOLE

Always some kinks in the launch windows. Lots of denial too. lol

I'm surprised we haven't see a thread called, "Is the DS4's analog issue Sony's RRoD?" PS4 really is the new 360 it seems.

Fwiw I bought 2 killzone player editions off amazon uk, 2 pads had the L1 sticking and when I contacted amazon cs, the refunded my card so I could order 2 new ones and when I asked what i should do with the old ones they said I don't have to return them but I could donate them to charity....

So I thought fuck it and did the same with my other 2.. And hey presto 4 new controllers

I did donate the old ones to my friends though

FrankWza

Always some kinks in the launch windows. Lots of denial too. lol

I'm surprised we haven't see a thread called, "Is the DS4's analog issue Sony's RRoD?" PS4 really is the new 360 it seems.

that would have to be started by someone who ate massive amounts of paint chips as a kid. comparing a faulty console with a controller that has a disintegrating pad coating is stupid. but give it time, someone will step up to the plate and start that thread.

Rafterman

Banned

I'd advise EVERYONE to stop buying PS4's until Sony got their act together and design a controller that holds up. I used DS3's for YEARS and none of this happened. This is the RROD of Sony, it's just as bad.

It's not even close to as bad. You're upset, and that's fine, but don't be ridiculous. The DS4 problem isn't nearly as widespread as the RROD and even if it were it's a controller, not the entire system.

Yeah, it sucks that there is a bad batch of controllers out there, but there are tons of people not having any issue at all. This thread has been going for a couple of months, on the largest gaming forum in the world, and it's only reached a few hundred (or less) unique posters with issues.

hesido

I don't know if this was suggested, but if you're going to buy a second DS4 anyway:

1)Buy a DS4 from amazon, and hope it is not a defective unit

2) Send just the bundled and defective DS4 back hoping that there's no marking or specific serial marking to indicate it's a bundled one.

3)...

4)Profit

Btw, today, I laid hands on a DS4 for the first time! And what did they showcase the power of the PS4 with? FIFA, yay! I played a match with a kid a lost 0-2.
The left analog sticks were worn off, btw.
As we were playing, 3 people came in and asked for the new batch of PS4's, they are expecting in a couple of days.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't know if this was suggested, but if you're going to buy a second DS4 anyway:

1)Buy a DS4 from amazon, and hope it is not a defective unit

2) Send just the bundled and defective DS4 back hoping that there's no marking or specific serial marking to indicate it's a bundled one.

3)...

4)Profit

Please don't do this...

Have you tried contacting Amazon Customer Support? Several of us who experienced the issue contacted them and they credited us the amount to cover a new DS4. These weren't standalone DS4s either...they were ones we received with the console.

My bundled controller was bad and Amazon refunded me the cost of a new controller without having to exchange anything.

hesido

Please don't do this...

Have you tried contacting Amazon Customer Support? Several of us who experienced the issue contacted them and they credited us the amount to cover a new DS4. These weren't standalone DS4s either...they were ones we received with the console.

Your solution is obviously the best, however, I had the impression that Amazon wouldn't let him do it and he wanted to return his PS4 entirely and re-buy it later. My sort-of crazy suggestion could be a last resort before returning the console itself (not for repair, to get re-imbursed)

coldfoot

Banned
Please don't do this...

I contacted them via chat where they told me to send the whole console back. Maybe I should actually call them?

My sticks started peeling after my Rising playthrough with it on PC. The grip on the rubber is pretty much gone with just a gooey non-textured middle left now. The actual integrity of the shape of it is still intact though, so so far so good I suppose.

Mine's the same. It's still fine. Just the texture is gone which is ok cause the material offers the right amount of grip for my thumbs

Edit: actually mine didn't peel. It's just worn out

th4tguy

This thread keeps popping up with more and more crazy theories. Can't we all just agree the most logical explanation is that there were a small batch of controllers were the material used for the analog sticks wasn't as sturdy as they should have been (bad batch)?

It's that or aliens.

I contacted them via chat where they told me to send the whole console back. Maybe I should actually call them?

You could do that, or try again. I contacted them through chat too (and I posted my transcript a few pages back) and it was not really much of an issue.

Top Bottom