• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Lol did you even watch it? starts at 5:55, one guy says he experienced this where the others quickly say they haven't even after "30 hours with AC4-" and say must've been the CoD players(lol).

And he also said "at a review event " ... 2 or 3 controllers .... Review events = highly over used controllers from god knows how many different events in general.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Heh, that thread is just getting torn apart on reddit. Should've posted it on /r/xboxone instead if they were looking for karma

New thread title: "DS4 not approved for use by industrial robots with belt sander hands"

Right now I'm 50-50 on believing this. The thing that's saying this may be an issue to me is the PS Mag video, and the thing saying no to me is the scratches on that guy's controller.

Vooduu

9EoNWNW.jpg

He posted another image onto Reddit.

Dem fingers

Edit: this is his quote from Reddit.

"It's been used mostly by me but also by my roommates. We've been playing FIFA11 at the same intensity with PS3 controllers for the last 3 months and we haven't had any problems with those.
I'm sure it is a case of us pushing harder than normal, I don't think you'll have any problem with yours. But isn't this something that Sony needs to worry about? I mean the rubber on the PS4 sticks are of a noticeably lower quality than the PS3 sticks..."

Creditability lost in the sea of idontknowwhattobelieve lol.

Duxxy3

The rubber is definitely made of a softer material than the DS3 analog. I doubt sony would change the design of the controller, but I could see them change the material used for this part.

http://i.imgur.com/9EoNWNW.jpg[img]

Dem fingers

"It's been used mostly by me [b]but also by my roommates.[/b] We've been playing FIFA11 at the same intensity with PS3 controllers for the last 3 months and we haven't had any problems with those.
I'm sure it is a case of us [b]pushing harder than normal[/b], I don't think you'll have any problem with yours. But isn't this something that Sony needs to worry about? I mean the rubber on the PS4 sticks are of a noticeably lower quality than the PS3 sticks..."

Creditability lost in the sea of idontknowwhattobelieve lol.[/QUOTE]

He has this controller for 3 months? I thought you can only buy them since recently.

flkraven

Has this ever been a thing in the past for any manufacturer's controller? I'm sure display models get ruined all the time, but standard consumer use?

Fuck I just bought one for PC and to use on my PS4 when I buy it a few months down the line. I didn't even need an extra one since I'll be gaming alone on PS4, I just got anxious and couldn't wait to get one after all the hype...

iR6u41HrDVWIE.gif

In all seriousness though, this looks to be from wear. The contact the rubber makes with whatever is under it seems to grind against the rubber until it wears away. Some people may have to consciously try not to press down on the sticks.

oSoLucky

To people calling it dirty and dusty. Go and take a close up photo of your controller, using a flash.

Trust me. You'll be shocked at how much dust and shit is on it. Despite looking fine to the naked eye.

I disagree. I walked straight in and took a picture of my controller when I got home from work. For the record, I picked this one up the day that my Gamestop got them in(last Wednesday), and have played 30-40 hours with it. I don't have any of the scratches or other signs of misuse(a little oil between the sticks maybe), and I wipe/wash my hands frequently, and ALWAYS wipe before touching a controller. The controller in the OP is obviously mishandled and neglected.........much like the dust on my TV stand.

Now give me a moment while I go find a duster.

Edit: I haven't touched it since I put it down last night before going to sleep.

jwk94

9EoNWNW.jpg

Dem fingers

"It's been used mostly by me but also by my roommates. We've been playing FIFA11 at the same intensity with PS3 controllers for the last 3 months and we haven't had any problems with those.
I'm sure it is a case of us pushing harder than normal, I don't think you'll have any problem with yours. But isn't this something that Sony needs to worry about? I mean the rubber on the PS4 sticks are of a noticeably lower quality than the PS3 sticks..."

The sticks are lower quality than the DS4? Absolutely not. These sticks are far better.

daveo42

Banned
That new pic makes it look like the plastic tore and wasn't worn down at all. Unless my eyesight it bad, you can tell how the stick doesn't look entirely circular any more.

I guess it could be angles, but that could be a sign of heavy abuse or even cutting.

Edit: Might as well include the pic from above

Swarna

One of my 360 controllers was being used by my brother for like a month without me seeing it. When I decided to use it the grips on the left stick were worn out and there were hard scratches all over the stick's surface (not to mention the controller being really dirty). I asked him how the hell that could happen in just a month and what he was doing with it to get it that way (especially because I only saw him use it a few times) and he just said it was due to "regular use".

Anteater

http://i.imgur.com/9EoNWNW.jpg[img]

Dem fingers

"It's been used mostly by me [b]but also by my roommates.[/b] We've been playing FIFA11 at the same intensity with PS3 controllers for the last 3 months and we haven't had any problems with those.
I'm sure it is a case of us [b]pushing harder than normal[/b], I don't think you'll have any problem with yours. But isn't this something that Sony needs to worry about? I mean the rubber on the PS4 sticks are of a noticeably lower quality than the PS3 sticks..."

Creditability lost in the sea of idontknowwhattobelieve lol.[/QUOTE]

That just reminds me how durable dualshock 2 was, I used that almost everyday (ffxi) for years and the thing still worked after all those years, had to retire it because the sticks got kind of loose from the heavy usage after like 10 years.

pushBAK

A number of the PS4 games at PAX Prime had this issue, notably Galak-Z. This is going to become a huge issue come 2014. New DS4 inbound.

enoki

The claw marks in the middle of the controller eliminate any credibility I would give this post.

Flash doesn't magically create the illusion of a dirty controller, it illuminates your nasty, slobby habits.

StaSeb

Could it be that the rubber did react so some hand-lotion or -sanatizer?

Rubber does not like certain oils as you hopefully know from being smart about condoms. Condoms break, if in contact with oil-based lubricants like massage oil or salad oil or whatever might be in arms reach.

Some people just dont know how to take care of their controllers .

I have 2 dualschock3 & 1 sixaxis that are fine .... yet i know several people with butchered stick with their dualshocks..
What i am seeing is clearly abuse on them ... and this dualshock 4 case scream the same to me.

9EoNWNW.jpg

Dem fingers

whats with the low detail follow up image?
I can't see the scratches -__-

My issue with this is if that is just normal use what is the deal with the right stick? Did he not use it all? If he did is it made out of different material. The fine texture on the right stick is still there, while on the left it is completely worn off. Doesn't look right.

Duxxy3

Could it be that the rubber did react so some hand-lotion or -sanatizer?

Rubber does not like certain oils as you hopefully know from being smart about condoms. Condoms break, if in contact with oil-based lubricants like massage oil or salad oil or whatever might be in arms reach.

Certainly possible.

Like I said, it's a much softer material than what was used before. If that is the case, then it should be easy to fix for the next batch.

Jhn

My issue with this is if that is just normal use what is the deal with the right stick? Did he not use it all? If he did is it made out of different material. The fine texture on the right stick is still there, while on the left it is completely worn off. Doesn't look right.

Not that I believe him, but according to his story he played FIFA for three months(?) using that DS4, and FIFA does go comparatively light on the right stick.

Concept17

Pressing down with the flat part of your thumb...does that? I find that hard to believe. It looks like someone took an exacto-knife to it.

I can't think this is gonna be an issue- but yall are focusing on the one Reddit poster, where the real info source in this thread is the video.

Yeah, the video is another source. IF this is a problem it's likely a bad batch, probably having to do with the facility where the rubber coating was put on the sticks. Some bad ones may have slipped through.

KoopaTheCasual

Wasn't going to say anything, but this is also the case with the PS4 controller at my local Sony store. Same scratches and everything. It actually really reminds me of the Gamecube controller: An ergonomic dream, but wears down like a motherfcker.

Even with my Gamecube controllers, I personally never experienced this because.... well I don't game with my damn fingernails, but I wouldn't be surprised if this "worn DS4 sticks" notion begins to pick up steam after launch.

FLEABttn

Banned
Those are pretty distinct thumb nail scratches in the left stick. I'm not sure what barn these people learned to play video games in but there is a small (and entirely confounding) group of people who use sticks by digging their nails in.

Any normal use of the controller will almost certainly not result in that.

Top Bottom