• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Pingoreous

Ok so I order 2 pair of these from amazon and here is the bold item description.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4AXGDU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

"Features: Get these PS4 controller thumbsticks to liven up your controller from eMods - The Industry leader in Controller Mods, Controller Parts, and Accessories.

Over 10 colors for PS4 thumbsticks to choose from!

These high-quality thumbsticks are a Direct Replacement for standard PS4 Controller , refresh your PS4 controller.
These analog thumbsticks are manufactured with our Wicked Grip tops - a unique rubber coating designed for gamer comfort and functionality, warding off sore thumbs and allowing continuous grip amidst even the most adrenaline-inducing battles.

Durability is Important - these thumbsticks are injection molded with the color embedded throughout the plastic.
Our thumbsticks will not fade and the color will not wear away - ever.They are not painted!"

They will arrive on Friday and I will report back. I am intrigue by the so called "wicked grip tops."

Why are people actually replacing the sticks? PS4 hasn't even been out a year and this stuff is still under warranty.

Because it costs less and can be done in ten minutes. When I looked into exercising my warranty, Sony's turn-around time for DS4 replacement was two weeks--and I was expected to pay for shipping.

Yo, fuck that.

Sayad

Needed a new controller so I though I'd pick up a DS4(even though I don't have PS4 yet). Was trying it on PS3 through bluetooth, it works but I can't press the d-pad buttons diagonally, in SFIV, I can't jump forward/backward or do any circular motions because it skip the diagonal inputs. Is this common or is there something wrong with my controller/setup here?

Because it costs less and can be done in ten minutes. When I looked into exercising my warranty, Sony's turn-around time for DS4 replacement was two weeks--and I was expected to pay for shipping.

Yo, fuck that.

cost me less then $4 to ship it.

I missed the fedex guy yesterday or mine would be back by now. Hasn't been even close to two weeks. Sent it out on the 15th, new controller on the 23th. Not that bad really. 9 days.

Why are people actually replacing the sticks? PS4 hasn't even been out a year and this stuff is still under warranty.

The be honest, the XB1 sticks are actually much better than the DS4 sticks, both in feel and durability.
You can get your controller replaced, only to have it fail again most likely, or just fix it properly.
Granted, I'm the OCD type that replaces my controller once every couple years anyways. Once the sticks don't click the same or the trigger springs get weak, I just sell it and get a new one.

Sony sent me a shipping label so not paying for shipping. I'm in the UK so maybe its different for Americans. Gonna send the first when it comes back send the second.

cost me less then $4 to ship it.

I missed the fedex guy yesterday or mine would be back by now. Hasn't been even close to two weeks. Sent it out on the 15th, new controller on the 23th. Not that bad really. 9 days.

well you basically paid $4 for two new sticks. I paid $15 for ten. a bit cheaper and I can replace any future worn sticks whenever I want.

Dolobill

I'm starting to notice a problem with my Xbox One sticks in my DS4.

I'm mainly noticing this now because I've been playing a lot of Destiny PvP, which can get pretty heated. Basically, if I forcibly tilt either stick forward, with enough pressure the stick will kind of pop up a bit. The stick must be sliding off the internal shaft just slightly. It feels pretty bad because the dome will then scrape against the controller shell unless I click it back it. I find myself constantly clicking the sticks now just to avoid it. I'm considering applying some glue to the shafts, but this will make replacing the sticks again virtually impossible.

Has anyone else had this problem with Xbox One sticks and is there a simple solution?

terrible

Banned
You can get a pair of Xbox One joysticks for $2 including shipping. So you get better joysticks (imo anyway) and you don't have to go without a controller while you wait to get them.

I'm starting to notice a problem with my Xbox One sticks in my DS4.

I'm mainly noticing this now because I've been playing a lot of Destiny PvP, which can get pretty heated. Basically, if I forcibly tilt either stick forward, with enough pressure the stick will kind of pop up a bit. The stick must be sliding off the internal shaft just slightly. It feels pretty bad because the dome will then scrape against the controller shell unless I click it back it. I find myself constantly clicking the sticks now just to avoid it. I'm considering applying some glue to the shafts, but this will make replacing the sticks again virtually impossible.

Has anyone else had this problem with Xbox One sticks and is there a simple solution?

Initially I had that same issue. I just put some paper inside and it fixed the issue for me. It made it a way tighter fit. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

JL07TXU.jpg

I bought coloured joysticks recently that don't have that issue so I don't use the paper trick anymore but it worked for 100+ hours with no signs of failure so I think it's safe to recommend it.

I just got my controller back. It's a brand new one and there are some differences. The rubber on the sticks is different, similar to the feel of the DS3's. The directional pad and face buttons seem to be more matte. The body of the controller is also more of a flat black and less glossy now.
How is the battery life? It's abysmal on mine.

grimmiq

Destiny Beta killing my sticks, bottom left and bottom right of my left/right sticks respectively now have little strips of glossy plastic showing through.

GVA1987

Every store here in Brisbane I go into has the rips on the sticks or are just destroyed altogether. I've gone through two controllers now and am a little apprehensive to keep buying more and any of the grips just drive me insane. Getting far too much playtime I guess.

Dolobill

You can get a pair of Xbox One joysticks for $2 including shipping. So you get better joysticks (imo anyway) and you don't have to go without a controller while you wait to get them.

Initially I had that same issue. I just put some paper inside and it fixed the issue for me. It made it a way tighter fit. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

I bought coloured joysticks recently that don't have that issue so I don't use the paper trick anymore but it worked for 100+ hours with no signs of failure so I think it's safe to recommend it.

Thanks, I'll have to try something like this (after the Beta is over). Maybe it's just the close-up, but that looks like pretty thick paper. Are you using regular white paper, folded over? I would have guessed that paper would deteriorate pretty quickly, but I'll give it a shot if you say so.

Another observation: The round thumbstick ridge on the DS4 shell is way too sharp! It has really dug into my Xbox One sticks, leaving a powdery residue behind. I compared it to my Wii U gamepad, and the ridge there is so much smoother and more rounded (just like the discs, heh). Rotating the Wii U thumbstick feels so much nicer than rotating the DS4 one.

Every one of my controllers (3 of them now) has had an issue with the left analog stick peeling off. Here is what you can do:

1. Call up playstation support and open a case and they'll email you with instructions for "Peripheral Exchange." This is a time consuming process so while I opened a case, I didn't follow through with it

2. Purchase a protection plan from Best Buy (I'm sure other retailers offer them as well). This is an amazing option if you live near a best buy as the exchange is simple and can be extended to the new controller for around a dollar and change. They actually gave me money back one time because the controller had been on sale since my purchase at full price.

3. Buy the Grip-iT Covers on Amazon for $4.22 and you won't have to worry about it anymore. Even with the nice option of getting a new controller, I was tired of doing it and bought these and couldn't be happier. http://www.amazon.com/Grip-iT-Analog-Stick-Covers-PlayStation-4/dp/B003NSLGW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406241095&sr=8-1&keywords=grip+it+ps4

I am upset as anyone that they have an issue and that I've gone through 3 DS4s already. That being said, bite the bullet, get it handled, and go back to enjoying your games on the best console to date.

terrible

Banned
Thanks, I'll have to try something like this (after the Beta is over). Maybe it's just the close-up, but that looks like pretty thick paper. Are you using regular white paper, folded over? I would have guessed that paper would deteriorate pretty quickly, but I'll give it a shot if you say so.

Another observation: The round thumbstick ridge on the DS4 shell is way too sharp! It has really dug into my Xbox One sticks, leaving a powdery residue behind. I compared it to my Wii U gamepad, and the ridge there is so much smoother and more rounded (just like the discs, heh). Rotating the Wii U thumbstick feels so much nicer than rotating the DS4 one.

Yeah it's just regular lined paper from my notebook cut to size and then folded in half. You might not even have to fold it in half, I just wanted to make sure it was a really tight fit.

I've noticed that residue thing with all my controllers going back to the N64! I wouldn't worry about it.

arhra

Unrelated (mostly) to the issue with the sticks, but I've had my PS4 a whopping 4 days now, and the L2/R2 are already creaking like a rusty door in a haunted house.

Am I right in assuming that any potential solution to that would involve opening it up?

At which point I might as well do the X1 stick mod while I'm at it, as even if I seem to have the harder-wearing stuff, I'm really not liking the shape and slipperiness on the stock sticks.

Dolobill

Unrelated (mostly) to the issue with the sticks, but I've had my PS4 a whopping 4 days now, and the L2/R2 are already creaking like a rusty door in a haunted house.

Am I right in assuming that any potential solution to that would involve opening it up?

At which point I might as well do the X1 stick mod while I'm at it, as even if I seem to have the harder-wearing stuff, I'm really not liking the shape and slipperiness on the stock sticks.

You might be able to apply some graphite with a pencil by sitcking into the ridge with the trigger pulled.

Alucrid

Banned

I threw in some WD40 and it was fine for me

Its kind sad how much maintenance and monkeying you gotta do with these DS4s to keep them running right.
My old 360 one I just wiped the dead skin off every week and that was it. Freakin workhorse.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Its kind sad how much maintenance and monkeying you gotta do with these DS4s to keep them running right.
My old 360 one I just wiped the dead skin off every week and that was it. Freakin workhorse.

same here...both the 360 and ps3 controllers lasted me the entire generation without anything breaking or having to open them open for any reason

terrible

Banned

All my 360 controllers got drifting joysticks or slow turning joysticks eventually. They had their own set of issues. I never did find a way to fix it either which sucked. I went through 5 360 controllers.

All my 360 controllers got drifting joysticks or slow turning joysticks eventually. They had their own set of issues. I never did find a way to fix it either which sucked. I went through 5 360 controllers.

yup. every single 360 controller I owned developed these problems. DS3 was ok but that's probably because I avoided it like the plague

Dolobill

Yeah it's just regular lined paper from my notebook cut to size and then folded in half. You might not even have to fold it in half, I just wanted to make sure it was a really tight fit.

I've noticed that residue thing with all my controllers going back to the N64! I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow, I just want to say thanks again. I did the paper mod, and its amazing how much added friction you can get with a piece of paper. I had trouble sliding them on! I think my popping problem is completely solved.

Zombine

Banned
Medium play with some good weekend sessions and my left stick is fucked. Don't eat while I play, always treat my controller well, and I could pull off the plastic if I wanted to.

I finally went through with the XO stick transfer today and it was definitely worth it. Makes the controller seem new again. Not sure if they're generic sticks but they feel fine. Would recommend.

ValeYard

My wife surprised with a ps4! Very happy with it, but can't tell if my sticks are this newer, harder material people have reported in newer controllers or not (manufacture date of console second quarter of 2014). Will probably get some covers today.

$4 for a brand new controller, they don't just replace the sticks.

Yep. And the materiel's for d-pad and the face buttons have also improved as well as the sticks. Whole thing feels nicer.

I'm fine paying $4 to get an improved controller, that I may or may not get even get if I went out today and bought one new.

I put some on mine as my thumbs slip alot on the ds4 sticks.

Infinitely better and would avoid the wearing away problem too.

So good i slapped some on my xbox one controller too

Nice! I will get a few pairs then. I will probably not put them on my XB1 sticks since I love the grip and feel of those.

Ferr986

My wife surprised with a ps4! Very happy with it, but can't tell if my sticks are this newer, harder material people have reported in newer controllers or not (manufacture date of console second quarter of 2014). Will probably get some covers today.

I got my PS4 back in late April and the controller is the newer revision. So far they are holding up very well.

LAM09

they work quite well, i think you be pleasantly surprised! i got neat black transparent ones!

You were right. I wasn't too sure about them at first, but after using them for a bit; I started to like them. They are MUCH better than the original DS4 analogy sticks.

Silly question... but what is the texture of the DS4 stick meant to be?

My controllers sticks are very smooth and slippery. Almost no grip or texture to them at all. Playing a PS4 in a shop and the controller feels more grippy but that might just be because the sticks are torn to hell and back. Not sure if my hands have somehow warn away any texture on the sticks or not.

Was thinking about ordering some of those rubber grip things to put on top.

SnakeEyez

So my launch ds4 has official gone from bad to down right unplayable. All was good until two days into the Destiny beta, the right analog stick would sometimes look all the way down/ up but it wasn't that common. Started happening more and more to the point that it happens nearly every 3 minutes or so.

On top of this, I realized that the D pad is completely jacked up. I would connect it to the ps3 so I can play Marvel with it and the diagonals do not work at all on the d pad.

Has anybody had this happen to them? For those that have sent their controllers to Sony, how long does the process take? Thanks.

tmac456

my ds4 left thumbstick just developed a slit in it. about to talk to Sony chat now. sucks this happens right before TLOU comes out

Top Bottom