• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm picking up a PS4 this week.
Have the controllers included in recent shipments been fixed?

My controller from a shipment in December is as perfect as the day I opened it. I don't know if that means every controller has been fixed since then, but good ones have been out there for quite some time.

Some people use controllers in a way that makes the launch was break, for sure.

I had no problem with either of min for 8 months... lent my brother my PS4 for a month and he wore down the left stick on the main controller to cracking (playing less than I do normally).

I bought 10 replacements thumbsticks on amazon for about $10 though so i'm not concerned.

Ferr986

They should atleast have the controller with the newer stick material compared to release.
Mine is from April and has already that pad revision. So far they are fine.

Got mines installed today as well. Since I have 4 DS4, I figured why not.

I think I prefer the grip better for the original sticks but I'm liking the added height with the X1 sticks.

I felt my fingers would kinda slip off if held them too long in one direction, now I feel like it sticks like glue. I have big hands so maybe that's why I like em so much. LOL!!!

I have gone back to my DS4 sticks, but I think I will be buying a blue DS4 and using that as my standard and putting my xboxone sticks back on my black one.

I like both but can't decide.

Does anyone know if you can buy replacement screws for the DS4?

Switched the DS4 thumsticks from my controller for a pair of Xbox One thumbsticks yesterday.

My problem now is that the controller is creaking, very annoying and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Vooduu

Switched the DS4 thumsticks from my controller for a pair of Xbox One thumbsticks yesterday.

My problem now is that the controller is creaking, very annoying and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Screws aren't tight enough/ something didn't go back the way it should've.

Here's my launch DS4. Perfectly fine
vDUB8sK.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Both of my left sticks are now worn - one much worse than the other. As I'm approaching my 12 month anniversary I might contact GAME and Sony to see what their response is. I'd hope to get both replaced within warranty tbh, quality is much less than you'd expect - I haven't abused them at all.

Vooduu

I'll open it again and see if I can get it fixed :(

Make sure all the rubber between the board and buttons lay flat and make sure the trigger rubber mounts fit on their 'grooves'.

Both of my left sticks are now worn - one much worse than the other. As I'm approaching my 12 month anniversary I might contact GAME and Sony to see what their response is. I'd hope to get both replaced within warranty tbh, quality is much less than you'd expect - I haven't abused them at all.

You'd be better off just replacing the sticks with some Xbone sticks off eBay. The rubber is much tougher and better designed. Sony hasn't done anything different with their thumb sticks at all.

Told my cousin how I was worried about my sticks since I just got a PS4 and they have the old thumbsticks on the controller. He told me his launch gamepad was still totally fine and not to worry. Then the other day he brought it over for Diablo and I looked at them, they are worn to the bone like polished plastic and a big chunk is missing from the left one. Now I wonder how many other people online are saying theirs are fine in denial.

Yoday

Make sure all the rubber between the board and buttons lay flat and make sure the trigger rubber mounts fit on their 'grooves'.

You'd be better off just replacing the sticks with some Xbone sticks off eBay. The rubber is much tougher and better designed. Sony hasn't done anything different with their thumb sticks at all.
Yes they have. Newer controllers are using a harder rubber now. I got one of the new blue controllers and the sticks feel quite a bit different, and not just because they are new. The new sticks seem like they would be significantly more durable.

Betty

Banned
So yeah, it happened, my left thumbstick tore and now when I push forward on it I feel the rubber slip forward.

Hopefully when I call customer support tomorrow they'll be willing to replace it.

freelevel

Banned
I have a launch PS4 and no issues with thumb sticks, but I may need to get a new controller because of a strange issue I've started having. The wire has started curling itself into tight knots for no reason. I don't wrap the wires around anything either. Wouldn't be a problem if not for the horrible battery life.

Jedi2016

I have a launch PS4 and no issues with thumb sticks, but I may need to get a new controller because of a strange issue I've started having. The wire has started curling itself into tight knots for no reason. I don't wrap the wires around anything either. Wouldn't be a problem if not for the horrible battery life.
I bought my own wires for charging. They're ten or twelve feet long, so I can charge-and-play even from my couch. No idea what they were thinking by packing in such tiny cables.

freelevel

Banned
I bought my own wires for charging. They're ten or twelve feet long, so I can charge-and-play even from my couch. No idea what they were thinking by packing in such tiny cables.

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to do that. They were already short, but with the crazy curling going on, they are almost useless now.

jaypah

My secondary controller just stated peeling out of the blue while playing PvsZ:GW :( I really thought that I had somehow dodged this like loud fans or power issues, you know, something you read about but can't relate. So naturally I haven't kept up, is Sony or Gamestop doing anything about this? I mean this shit literally went from zero perceptible damage to a chunk just rolling off the left stick like fake Terminator skin. I'm fucking bummed. I just bought OlliOlli too and from the little that I played before switching to PvsZ I'm scared to use my good controller too!

NickFire

I want to give Sony credit. I had a peeling left stick and sent it in. I included a note requesting a blue replacement for having to pay to ship a factory defect to them after already having to have the console replaced for the auto eject issue. Sure enough they sent back a blue controller as I requested which I got today. May not seem like much but I really appreciate it.

Now we know how they got to market at $400. Cheap materials.

The only (small) problem was the thumbsticks, and that has been fixed while the price has stayed at 399.99. AND the console has already become profitable. I don't think "cheap materials" were the reason for the 399.99 price.

So I thought I got the old DS4 when I recently purchased my PS4. Now that I've compared my cousins to mine side by side I realize its actually probably the revised version. The paint is a little less shiny. The thumbsticks are also very different but at first I thought his were simply extremely worn down. I thought mine were how they used to be but my memory must be shot. People have described the new ones as having no "stick" to keep your thumbs from sliding off, but thats not how mine feel.

I'm still not 100% sure what to think, but I'm feeling a lot more confident now that my sticks aren't going to be rubbish a month from now.

Yoday

So I thought I got the old DS4 when I recently purchased my PS4. Now that I've compared my cousins to mine side by side I realize its actually probably the revised version. The paint is a little less shiny. The thumbsticks are also very different but at first I thought his were simply extremely worn down. I thought mine were how they used to be but my memory must be shot. People have described the new ones as having no "stick" to keep your thumbs from sliding off, but thats not how mine feel.

I'm still not 100% sure what to think, but I'm feeling a lot more confident now that my sticks aren't going to be rubbish a month from now.
You can tell by the FCC ID number on the label.

Original - AK8CUHZCT1
Revision - AK8CUHZCT1F1

The newer sticks have a little bit less grip due to the harder material, but they still give me plenty of grip. I'm not really sure why people have a problem with them.

Metfanant

Since launch I have been in the "no issue" crowd, but I have an update...

I'm not sure what the cause is, but it seems now from personal experience that there is definitely something different about how the sticks react to the way certain people hold/play the controller...

My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago so a lot of family was in town that we don't see much...so I was watching a couple of my young cousins one day and I've gone since launch with not a HINT of wear on any of my three DS4's....within a half hour of them playing Resogun (they wouldnt stop playing that game lol) the rubber on my wave blue imported UK DS4's left stick started to peel off...I was shocked...

I knew I shouldn't have let them use "my" controller lol...but it def seems that it was something specific that one of them was doing that caused it

Yoday

Since launch I have been in the "no issue" crowd, but I have an update...

I'm not sure what the cause is, but it seems now from personal experience that there is definitely something different about how the sticks react to the way certain people hold/play the controller...

My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago so a lot of family was in town that we don't see much...so I was watching a couple of my young cousins one day and I've gone since launch with not a HINT of wear on any of my three DS4's....within a half hour of them playing Resogun (they wouldnt stop playing that game lol) the rubber on my wave blue imported UK DS4's left stick started to peel off...I was shocked...

I knew I shouldn't have let them use "my" controller lol...but it def seems that it was something specific that one of them was doing that caused it
The same thing happened with me when my wife played Resogun. I had put hundreds of hours into my single launch DS4. It was starting to wear down a little bit, but there weren't any tears or any kind of peeling. My wife started playing Resogun, and after about twenty minutes I looked at the controller and the sticks were absolutely destroyed.

I have a feeling that all of the launch style sticks are going to eventually wear away, but there definitely seems to be a certain way that people use the analog sticks that will accelerate the issue. For example, my wife swears up and down that she doesn't touch the sticks with her fingernails, but when watching her play she absolutely does from time to time. That in combination with more pressure on the sticks could easily cause the issue to present itself far earlier than normal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One of mine has now lost a big chunk on the left sticks definitely need to get them replaced. Anyone in Europe had luck getting your retailer or Sony to replace them quickly? Should be covered under warranty right?

lmbotiva

i have 2 controllers since day 1 and both are like new and i play at least 4 days a week for about 3 or 4 hours each day so they get used frequently, i say that was a bad batch of controllers and im guessing everything should be good now

Melchiah

The tiny tear that appeared on the left stick a couple of weeks ago has slightly increased. I hope it won't get worse too quickly, as I don't have the extra money right now to buy a new before Destiny is released. I read somewhere over here, that the sticks in the new DS4 batch have a different kind of texture, which apparently makes them more slippery. Is that true?

NuKERxyz

i have 2 controllers since day 1 and both are like new and i play at least 4 days a week for about 3 or 4 hours each day so they get used frequently, i say that was a bad batch of controllers and im guessing everything should be good now

The same but on my case only one controller that came with Ps4 on November.
Only problem was R1 geting stuck but fixed it in December and no more problems since then.

Wizardry

Banned
Sorry to burst anyone's hopes here, but I just had my NEW REVISED DS4 get it's first tiny cut in the typical left side position. These are verified new revised versions. A little over one month of playing TLOU in MP and the first one is already biting the dust. Hairline rubber fracture will in two or three months turn into a rip.

These ones lasted longer but whatever company is doing this has no idea what they are doing. I still don't like how this rubber feels. It's too sticky and not near thick enough. Thickness won't help it though.

It is my theory that people who use the thumbsticks and move them around with their thumbs a lot and play hardcore are the ones that tear them really easily. I mean dudes, one month here. ONE MONTH. And the revised version is already biting the dust. This is literally some terrible rubber compound they are using.

I have already relegated my other new one to SP only. I will not even touch a multiplayer game with it. All of this reminds me of the days Warhawk was destroying controllers. But that was not rubber mostly and it happened after about a year of play. THIS right here is absolutely pathetic. Cheap ass fix for a cheap ass company atm. Sony needs to do better.

Right now I suggest people do the same with two controllers. Save one for SP play and it should last. I should mention I played TLOU pretty hardcore, got my KDR up 2.30, and played a ton of hours up to like 45 or something.

Top Bottom