• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

RedAssedApe

Banned
wow... this is perfection. Convex is always better for analogue sticks. Where did you get these? Do you have to exchange the entire sticks?

What grip? Stock DS4 sticks are the opposite of "grip".

I wasn't talking about the DS4 sticks. They aren't real concave. They have that stupid bump in the center. If they were actually concave in the center your thumb would fit better and they might actually have better grip.

And no concave is not always better for sticks just because you think so ;)

Personally I think concave left and convex right for aiming would be the best like how the kontrol freeks vortexes are...but i don't think a console manufacterer will every do something like that...gotta maintain that symmetry

as a side note...the kontrol freek alpha make L3/stick sprinting feel so much better because of the grip. i can run allllll day long now and not have to constantly readjust to make sure my thumb doesn't slip off the edge.

edornob

Broke the first PS4 controller (R2 trigger) from playing too much Destiny. My little brother broke the second controller, also from playing Destiny.

Fix this shit Sony! They're already better than the PS3 and PS2 DS controllers in terms of feel but they can't handle the abuse.

Duxxy3

are there any recommended buyers for the replacement xbox one analog sticks?

I see most are from china and hong kong and use generic photos.

I've bought from a few and I have yet to receive a true replacement. They all have seems (the top isn't one solid piece), and they are more rubbery than the original.

Great - purchased a second DS4 while the original was off for warranty repair. This ds4 has a much more durable coating on the sticks.

Received my replacement ds4 today and it has the same crap rubber as the original, despite being a brand new replacement.

FFS, get your shit together Sony.

Nattan

Great - purchased a second DS4 while the original was off for warranty repair. This ds4 has a much more durable coating on the sticks.

Received my replacement ds4 today and it has the same crap rubber as the original, despite being a brand new replacement.

Exactly same here. Bought a new white controller few weeks ago that has the more duraple rubber. Received a replacement (black one) few days ago and it has the same crappy rubber as the old one.

Although the original controller's sticks lasted several months for me, I'm not too happy about the replacement.

Melchiah

Finally got the vastly superior PS3 style analogs, now I will actually be able to shoot with precision.

yvKhaUul.jpg

This is how the controller should have been.

From where, and what's the brand? I now regret buying those Orb grips.

My stick have been spotless despite heavy use for a year.
ONE night with a new guy on FIFA and one is fucked, turns out its because of the way he digs his damn thumbnail into the stick for better purchase.
He didn't even realise he was doing it.

My little cousin did the same thing, completely ruined the thumbstick in a single afternoon. Worst controller i've ever owned, i feel genuinely fucked over by some of the shit sony has pulled recently.

Acheteedo

Finally did the Xbox One sticks mod, was a little fiddly but went pretty smoothly, very happy with the results, recommended.

Exactly same here. Bought a new white controller few weeks ago that has the more duraple rubber. Received a replacement (black one) few days ago and it has the same crappy rubber as the old one.

Although the original controller's sticks lasted several months for me, I'm not too happy about the replacement.

I emailed sony, not sure what they'll do (if anything) but i'll keep you posted.

Chesskid1

Banned
51UDClqQjyL._SX300_.jpg

Just bought these the other week because my DS4 was starting to rip pretty bad. I love them. The were kind of a bitch to get on though.

It does feel like the might be stopping the thumb stick shorter than what it can actually go

i bought these after i started peeling and i like them.

will prolly buy more for the rest of my controllers

buckeye13

Banned
Gel tabz feel much better, but when you push the stick all the way in a direction the bottom being thicker rubs the ds4 base since sticks are so short.

benjammin

2 of my 4 launch controller now have completely torn sticks, and one is partially torn. I guess it's only a matter of time on the last one. Really disappointing as I don't abuse any of my electronics, and I've never had an issue with any controller since the original Nintendo came out. I called sony and they're going to replace them, but i have to pay to ship them off. wtf? Sony has admitted that there's a manufacturing defect with their controllers, but they won't cover the cost of shipping?

Between this and the constant outages for paid psn service, sony is really dropping the ball.

Doombear

I really wish this topic was a bit more... widely known about I guess? It really sucks to see people still coming in here surprised that this has happened. I had covers on my DS4 a few weeks after launch just because I wanted to avoid the issue.

Last month when I had to mail it in for the R2 fix (do they make R2 Gel Tabz? =P) I took my covers off and the sticks were of course pristine.

I just hate seeing people coming in here that didn't know this was very very likely going to happen to their thumb sticks and thus took no pre-emptive actions to avoid it.

LonDonE

Neo Member
What are these people doing to these things before the damn system is even out?

You dont have to do anything to them but general use!! i live in uk and got a launch day PS4 and just day before yesterday to my shock my dualshock 4 stick on the left had a tear in it exactly like the ops picture and i am anal about these things!
I wipe my PS4, Xbox One and Wii u EVERYDAY at least once!!!

Funny thing is i dont even use my PS4 much, where as every day i use my X1 and WiiU with my 2 kids and wife.
My PS4 gets the least use at the moment but i know once more games release like uncharted, bloodbourne, order 1886 etc i will be using it everyday.
I also play BF4 and cod ghosts on my PS4 and i am getting witcher 3 on it too but i swear i was shocked to see my stick get damaged since like i said i haven't used it no where near as much as my X1 or WiiU.

So why people like you keep making out its the fault of the user is beyond me.
Sony even acknowledged that some PS4 launch controllers had a rubber mixture composite which was mixed wrong i read some where google it, and for me i just cant be bothered to send it back to Sony or Amazon i just putted a set of my PS3 thumb stick rubber caps on both sticks of the dual shock 4 and its fine now.

But bottom line is more then a few people have had this problem or will have it eventually even people like me who look after the gaming stuff we own.
This is a cock up Sony have done, and no i am not a liar or a xbot look at my avatar and profile pic for proof i own all 3 current gen consoles and all 3 last gen consoles and in fact i pretty much have been fortunate enough to buy every platform every generation going back over 30 years!!

This is a problem and sony needs to sort it!! they are cheaply made thumb stick rubber and this should not be happening when i have barely even used my PS4.

The thumbsticks on the DS4 that came with my PS4 have a quite rough texture, but I just bought a new DS4 and the thumbsticks aren't rough at all. They're smooth. This has me worried that I bought an older DS4 that's more likely to have disintegrative thumbsticks. Although it would be strange if it was an older DS4, since the package mentions that the controller works with the PS4, PS now and PS TV. The PS now and PS TV stuff are brand new. I don't know, but I'm worried.

Got my response from Sony:

Hi 31GhostsIV,

Thanks for contacting PlayStation Support about your DualShock 4 (DS4) controller.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with your new controller. Unfortunately we are unable to replace a controller unless there is a fault with it. The new controller you received shouldn't have any faults, but it does develop a fault, you can use our online exchange service.

To use this service click here and follow the on-screen instructions. You’ll need your PlayStation 4 console and DualShock 4 serial numbers to hand when using the service, so make sure you have these ready!

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Hapless Goon,
PlayStation Support

So there you go. Despite the fact they've acknowledged the rubber is useless by replacing it on some (but not all) pads, there's nothing wrong with my pad but I can go through the hassle of returning it again when the pad peels.

The thumbsticks on the DS4 that came with my PS4 have a quite rough texture, but I just bought a new DS4 and the thumbsticks aren't rough at all. They're smooth. This has me worried that I bought an older DS4 that's more likely to have disintegrative thumbsticks. Although it would be strange if it was an older DS4, since the package mentions that the controller works with the PS4, PS now and PS TV. The PS now and PS TV stuff are brand new. I don't know, but I'm worried.

I don't think they've replaced the rubber at all of their manufacturing plants, just some. So it's a crap shoot - I bought a new DS4 a few weeks ago to tide me over as my original went in for stick repair. The new one had the new texture, but the brand new one they replaced my worn DS4 with had the same easily-worn rubber on the sticks.

Not exactly related but the left analog on my launch DS4 is fucked. Pushing up on the stick pretty much does nothing. Who exactly do I contact about a replacement?

Does anyone else have a somewhat squeaky left stick? It's annoying the shit out of me. It's a bundled regular black one I got at the end of July. There's also a slightly rough feeling, I guess, at certain points in the stick's rotation.

Does anyone know what I do to get a replacement controller in the UK? I've had a look through the thread but it's pretty long! Thanks.

Noobcraft

My launch DS4 finally gave up (left stick started peeling). Contacted support and got a shipping address/instructions but I wish they didn't make me pay for shipping.

bronk

Banned
I ripped sticks on one of my controllers. Im just waiting on red one to come to usa. Does anyone knkw when that will be? Im not sure how much longer I can wait :(

Takuan

Mine finally broke on me. I'm still using it without issues, haha.

Just ordered 2 pairs of XB1 sticks so I'll try my hand at replacing them when they arrive in two weeks or so.

No_Style

My DS4's left thumbstick is falling apart. Contacted Sony via chat and they're sending me a box to ship it back to them. Surprisingly easy to get the process going. Hopefully it's equally easy to get a replacement back to me.

Just an update. Didn't receive the box after several days. I reached out to them and now they're saying that the other CSR was wrong and they don't send out boxes. Ugh. I'm just gonna buy a few X1 thumbsticks and try them out myself.

No_Style

Another update. My brother sent his DS4 in because the left stick was spazzing out and the replacement Sony sent has the more durable rubber like the white DS4's.

RedAssedApe

Banned
kontrol freek alphas have been working out nicely for me with COD:AW

nice grip and can sprint all day with no thumb fatigue. gotta used to the taller sticks too

Ashtar

So I finally have been afflicted by this ignorance, what's the best cover or something to stop further worsening of the breakdown.

the21O

Neo Member
I finally got around to mailing my ds4 in on Tuesday and to my surprise my replacement is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Does anyone know if FedEx will leave the package at the door or will someone need to sign for it?

Duxxy3

I can't believe this thread is a year old and people are still finding bad controllers. Is it that hard to find a different design (or just go back to the design that worked for almost 20 years)?

Man, these companies release new console designs, why can't they release new controller designs?

VITA dpad, different analog sticks-- much deeper, different material, and maybe even indent the PS button so I dont accidentally press it.

I would love to do the Xbox sticks if I was brave enough to open up my DS4

Jeramii

Banned
Man, these companies release new console designs, why can't they release new controller designs?

VITA dpad, different analog sticks-- much deeper, different material, and maybe even indent the PS button so I dont accidentally press it.

I would love to do the Xbox sticks if I was brave enough to open up my DS4

It's very very easy! much easier than the DS3. There isn't a lot you can do to mess it up. The only thing that takes a little effort when putting it back together is the L2/R2 spring (if you manage to pop it off by mistake). Youtube Videos are super helpful.

The first time I tore my DS4 apart was because the R1 trigger kept getting stuck. Since then I've torn apart 5 or 6 of them for that repair or Xbone sticks. Sony really dropped the ball in quality control.

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh what is going on, I sent my Dualshock 4 almost 2 weeks ago now and I haven't heard a single thing yet about the controller and whether I'm getting it back. Do they usually send an email saying that they recieved it or they are shipping the fixed controller back? And now I'm worried cause their chat system is all different, then again its just bots anyway

GnawtyDog

Banned
Ugh what is going on, I sent my Dualshock 4 almost 2 weeks ago now and I haven't heard a single thing yet about the controller and whether I'm getting it back. Do they usually send an email saying that they recieved it or they are shipping the fixed controller back? And now I'm worried cause their chat system is all different, then again its just bots anyway

It took me 2 weeks to get mine. Mind you I paid for shipping myself from me-to-Sony (4 days it took), so I had the tracking info and knew when they got it. They took their sweet time. I got an e-mail later on with tracking info for the controller shipment back to me. I deleted the e-mails etc.....BUT you should get an e-mail with tracking info once they send you the new one back to you. If the status worries you, just give them a call - I had a pleasant chat with the CS rep.

Hugstable

Banned
It took me 2 weeks to get mine. Mind you I paid for shipping myself from me-to-Sony (4 days it took), so I had the tracking info and knew when they got it. They took their sweet time. I got an e-mail later on with tracking info for the controller shipment back to me. I deleted the e-mails etc.....BUT you should get an e-mail with tracking info once they send you the new one back to you. If the status worries you, just give them a call - I had a pleasant chat with the CS rep.

Yeah I'm about to give them a call in abit, just really worried since last time I dealt with the chat, and when I sent my controller I had forgot to put a paper with my Service Number and everything, so I basically had just shipped the controller and then the label which had my name on it. Having realized how bad I just messed up, I contacted Sony support again and talked to someone and he said that it was no problem and they would have taken care of it. So I'm really worried because of how bad I messed up that they might have gotten the controller but may not realized it was mine. I thought I would have been fine talking to chat, but I'm still sometimes unsure whether any online chat with companies are real people or bots cause they always come with the same statements and such. I think I'm just worrying too much cause of how long it has been (I sent it via USPS), and I'm just hoping my stupid mistake doesn't cost me my DS4 :(. Ugh I can't believe of all things I forgot to include the Case #.

nampad

Took them 2-3 months to deal with my controllers. Such a fuck up.
I was abroad so I couldn't be arsed to deal with it but that should have never took them so long.
My brother, who had my PS4 at that time, couldn't use it...

Top Bottom