• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Hugstable

Banned
So I contacted them on both chat and phone, and they are telling me that they received my controller, but the service was held up because I had not included a proof of purchase. I never was told that I had to have proof of purchase and I never saw anyone else mention it and now I'm freaking out as I don't have the recipet for when I bought the system anymore ( I bought it at launch and I didn't think the controllers would end up this way, so obviously I don't have it anymore) but I did have the statement on my Purchase History of Best Buy Rewards Zone showing that I bought the system back at launch... but now I'm worried like hell that it's not gonna be enough for them and I'm not gonna get my own DS4 back fixed or broken. I just sent an email that some address that the person over the phone gave me, and I'm just worried :(

EDIT: Here's the pic I sent them from my rewards zone,

QUsnSp4.png

Dead Man

So I contacted them on both chat and phone, and they are telling me that they received my controller, but the service was held up because I had not included a proof of purchase. I never was told that I had to have proof of purchase and I never saw anyone else mention it and now I'm freaking out as I don't have the recipet for when I bought the system anymore ( I bought it at launch and I didn't think the controllers would end up this way, so obviously I don't have it anymore) but I did have the statement on my Purchase History of Best Buy Rewards Zone showing that I bought the system back at launch... but now I'm worried like hell that it's not gonna be enough for them and I'm not gonna get my own DS4 back fixed or broken. I just sent an email that some address that the person over the phone gave me, and I'm just worried :(

EDIT: Here's the pic I sent them from my rewards zone,

QUsnSp4.png
They can't keep your controller regardless. They shouldn't need a proof of purchase for a stick fix, either, but generally companies want that to confirm you are within a warranty window in addition to any other reason.

Grimsen

I received some knockoff XBONE thumbsticks for my DS4, and installed them fairly easily.

The plastic used for the thumbsticks isn't amazing, though. I got them from this seller.

Any recommendations for Xbone thumbsticks that are on-par with original parts?

I'm also probably gonna replace the battery in my DS4, pretty easy to do.

Cyborg

I received some knockoff XBONE thumbsticks for my DS4, and installed them fairly easily.

The plastic used for the thumbsticks isn't amazing, though. I got them from this seller.

Had the same experience the one I got were just a bit smaller than original and plastic was not same as the original.

Or this: But I doubt if they are the same as original http://www.miniinthebox.com/nl/4-st...mb-stick-grips-paddestoelkappen_p1638089.html

Grimsen

Had the same experience the one I got were just a bit smaller than original and plastic was not same as the original.

Or this: But I doubt if they are the same as original http://www.miniinthebox.com/nl/4-st...mb-stick-grips-paddestoelkappen_p1638089.html

Yeah, after reading this thread more, I realized mine are entirely made of hard plastic, and they're very uncomfortable after long play sessions.

I emailed the seller, maybe he has the better thumbsticks.

Otherwise, I'll have to try again with another seller. Any help from GAFers would be appreciated.

I really don't want to cannibalize a XBONE controller for this :/

EDIT: Found this post, gonna check tonight if the seller ships to Canada.

For anyone interested and don't wanna be ordering fake plastic sticks, My X1 sticks have arrived and are genuine, the seller is Dipway and heres the link if ya wanna get some.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-One-...G_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2a3bca25f5

Duxxy3

I've gone through two different seller and I still have yet to find the same quality as the original XB1 analogs. Thes best ones I have found were convex. Those are excellent quality. The concave ones were very rubbery, had creases, and were just worse than the OEM part.

Great - purchased a second DS4 while the original was off for warranty repair. This ds4 has a much more durable coating on the sticks.

Received my replacement ds4 today and it has the same crap rubber as the original, despite being a brand new replacement.

FFS, get your shit together Sony.

haven't followed the thread much and I'm preparing to get a PS4 for GTA V...

are the newer DS4s in the latest SKUs (or stand alone DS4) packages different than the original DS4s, then? (or at least the sticks are different)

haven't followed the thread much and I'm preparing to get a PS4 for GTA V...

are the newer DS4s in the latest SKUs (or stand alone DS4) packages different than the original DS4s, then? (or at least the sticks are different)

Sure, the stick rubber "feels different", but the new units still have their fair share of flaws. My launch DS4 is peeling terribly, my 3-4 months after launch controller has squeaky face buttons, and the 8 months after launch controller has a horrendously squeaky left trigger. Sony really needs better QA on these things.

Endo Punk

Sure, the stick rubber "feels different", but the new units still have their fair share of flaws. My launch DS4 is peeling terribly, my 3-4 months after launch controller has squeaky face buttons, and the 8 months after launch controller has a horrendously squeaky left trigger. Sony really needs better QA on these things.

Yeah my controller had a lot of squeaking parts too, sprayed some wd-40 on it today and its become squeak free.

Mengetsu

I have a question regarding my PS4 sticks getting replaced.

My left stick started peeling awhile back but only now I contacted support and got a shipping address with some instructions. How am I suppose to go about this? I pay for a label to be made with the address to be shipped to or do they send me a label? And if so how much does it cost me to make the label/box and shipping? I'm in the U.S btw and would like an estimate from anyone here that had to do the same thanks.

Doombear

I have a question regarding my PS4 sticks getting replaced.

Totally depends on how you want to ship it. You can go cheaper and have no tracking and have it take longer. You can use priority, express, etc. from UPS/Fed Ex/USPS. It is entirely up to you. They should have told you that it was your responsibility to get it to them. They will not send you a label or a mailer to get the product to them. They will only cover shipping it back though.

Personally, I used USPS with tracking and insurance. They got my shipment in 2 days, and I got it back in about a week all told. If you go cheaper, it will take longer. They will ship it back with tracking. Not 100% on the service they used.

My advice, at least get tracking. I personally only had the one DS4 so the faster it got to them the better. Also, do not forget to include the information you were asked to include... namely, date of purchase and purchase receipt.

Here are some rate calculators for the major shipping services.

USPS Rate Calculator
UPS Rate Calculator
Fed Ex Rate Calculator

personally, I wouldn't spend money on shipping the controller back. I would go and order a bag of 10x Xb1/DS4 replacement sticks off amazon.

you'll end up with the same worn sticks down the road anyway because it looks like Sony still hasn't fixed the problem yet. if you order a gross of sticks then you'll be able to repair your own controller at will.

personally, I wouldn't spend money on shipping the controller back. I would go and order a bag of 10x Xb1/DS4 replacement sticks off amazon.

you'll end up with the same worn sticks down the road anyway because it looks like Sony still hasn't fixed the problem yet. if you order a gross of sticks then you'll be able to repair your own controller at will.
The newer colored controllers do have the thumbsticks fixed. Even packaged controllers are fixed, my brother got a PS4 in June and he has the newer sticks.

Doombear

Even with my advice above, I would still agree with Goodacre. The only reason I sent mine in was because my R2 was broken and I was in warranty and didn't feel like doing the pin fix. I have had covers on my sticks since a week after launch as this problem was rumored to exist even before the console hit shelves.

If it happens again to my trigger though, I will be putting X1 sticks in and fixing the pin myself.

DJ_Lae

I've only used my DS4 for a couple hundred hours so far but the sticks are starting to become worn down on part of the edges, which leads me to believe it's going to begin peeling soon.

I have a 360 controller that's worn down considerably too (down to the base plastic inside the stick), but it's been through thousands of hours of gaming since the launch of that system. None of my older Dual Shock controllers are visibly worn at all.

Loomba

My launch controllers left thumbstick has just cracked. Can't really complain.

I've just thrown a grip on it and it's good as new. Cost me £1.

Mengetsu

Totally depends on how you want to ship it. You can go cheaper and have no tracking and have it take longer. You can use priority, express, etc. from UPS/Fed Ex/USPS. It is entirely up to you. They should have told you that it was your responsibility to get it to them. They will not send you a label or a mailer to get the product to them. They will only cover shipping it back though.

Personally, I used USPS with tracking and insurance. They got my shipment in 2 days, and I got it back in about a week all told. If you go cheaper, it will take longer. They will ship it back with tracking. Not 100% on the service they used.

My advice, at least get tracking. I personally only had the one DS4 so the faster it got to them the better. Also, do not forget to include the information you were asked to include... namely, date of purchase and purchase receipt.

Here are some rate calculators for the major shipping services.

USPS Rate Calculator
UPS Rate Calculator
Fed Ex Rate Calculator

Thank you for this I will figure it out from here. Great stuff and should be in the OP for sure.

Strange question:

Does anyone know of a merchant selling replacement DS4 thumbsticks that are the *original* launch ones that peeled?

If I could get a few replacements, I'd buy them. I much preferred the "tackiness" launch version. Yes, they peeled eventually, but if I could just replace them, I'd probably do it. I liked them that much and more than Xbox One sticks.

rbanke

My brother in law bought a set of 10 Xbox one style sticks. He got them in today and while they feel good, they are definitely lesser quality than the real Xbox one sticks. I'm not sure if its from them making a mold using the original sticks and its lost some fidelity or what, but the grippy part and indentation in the middle is not as pronounced when compared to my Xbox one controller. Has anyone bought Xbox one sticks that are original quality? If so where did you get them? I'm considering holding off replacing my two DS4 sticks with these if I can find better ones.

Took a couple pics for comparison, you can see that the after market ones are a bit less defined. I can definitely feel a difference by touch as well.
emVaSpql.jpg

vOJr3vZl.jpg

So ive had some pretty attrocious luck with DS4's this past week. I bought a Wave Blue one back when D3 released and it wont hold a charge properly. After being plugged into the ps4 via usb for about 15 minutes it will get insanely hot, and will keep getting hotter the longer you leave it connected. It still works but doesnt stay on for more than a few minutes.

And just yesterday my original black DS4 has the thumb stick issues with the left rubber peeling off. I have no receipts for either, so it looks like i can atleast salvage this one by replacing the sticks.

rbanke

I ended up switching the Xbox sticks in even though they aren't quite as nice as the OEM ones and I have to say the quality difference isnt even bothering me but I am really not liking how loose & high they are now. Is there anyone making xbox one style sticks with the same height as the ps4 sticks? I may end up just switching with an aftermarket ps4 style if I can't find anything else.

No_Style

I ended up switching the Xbox sticks in even though they aren't quite as nice as the OEM ones and I have to say the quality difference isnt even bothering me but I am really not liking how loose & high they are now. Is there anyone making xbox one style sticks with the same height as the ps4 sticks? I may end up just switching with an aftermarket ps4 style if I can't find anything else.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not comfortable with the tiny height difference. I'll try it out for a little while longer but it may not be my go to fix.

rbanke

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not comfortable with the tiny height difference. I'll try it out for a little while longer but it may not be my go to fix.

After a few day's I still haven't made up my mind on what I want to do. I have two controllers one upgraded to the Xbox One sticks. I like the Xbox stick's grip much better but the looseness & height are annoying. I may just end up buying some replacement stock sticks. What a strange thing to get so picky about after playing with a DS3 for 7 years haha.

I feel the same way. I replaced my DS4 with XB1 thumbsticks (which I'm starting to think are not genuine based on the pictures above). Have used the XB1 thumbsticks for a month, but the height difference makes the controller very uncomfortable in long play sessions.

I do like that the center of the analog curves in, so that my thumbs aren't falling off the sticks every minute like with the DS4 thumbsticks, but everything else sucks. Considering putting my DS4 thumbsticks back in at this point.

My launch controllers left thumbstick has just cracked. Can't really complain.

I've just thrown a grip on it and it's good as new. Cost me £1.

*Looks over at one decade+ old DS2 controller with perfectly intact sticks*

I dunno, I'd say you were within your rights.

On Demand

Banned
Nobody has any issues yet with the new models sticks? I've had my PS4 since September and no problems yet. I can feel the left stick has smoothed out a little compared to the right but that's it. I hope whatever rubber they're using now last.

I don't get why Sony doesn't use the same rubber material as the DS3. I have a Japan import white controller from 2007 and the sticks are as good as new.

djshauny

Banned
Im getting L3 issues with my controller. I want to buy a new one but dont want this issue to happen again. (having to hold the stick down to sprint on bf4, cod etc)

Would my best bet to get the white controller? Since they havnt been out long and most issues would have been fixed?

Im getting L3 issues with my controller. I want to buy a new one but dont want this issue to happen again. (having to hold the stick down to sprint on bf4, cod etc)

Would my best bet to get the white controller? Since they havnt been out long and most issues would have been fixed?

the best thing you can probably do is buy a controller at a regular retail chain and get one of those warranty deals that they sell.

Iorv3th

I bought some replacement sticks off amazon that had good reviews (x1 sticks) and they seem smaller than they should be? Anyone have any recommended sellers?

Duxxy3

My brother in law bought a set of 10 Xbox one style sticks. He got them in today and while they feel good, they are definitely lesser quality than the real Xbox one sticks. I'm not sure if its from them making a mold using the original sticks and its lost some fidelity or what, but the grippy part and indentation in the middle is not as pronounced when compared to my Xbox one controller. Has anyone bought Xbox one sticks that are original quality? If so where did you get them? I'm considering holding off replacing my two DS4 sticks with these if I can find better ones.

Took a couple pics for comparison, you can see that the after market ones are a bit less defined. I can definitely feel a difference by touch as well.
emVaSpql.jpg

vOJr3vZl.jpg

The aftermarket replacements that I have dealt with have been worse than the originals. Divet in the middle is less pronounced. Inside ridge is almost non-existent (feels like 2nd revisiion 360 sticks). It's also a 2 part cover instead of a single piece (hence the creases on top).

They're a crappy imitation.

Popsickles

Not exactly related but the left analog on my launch DS4 is fucked. Pushing up on the stick pretty much does nothing. Who exactly do I contact about a replacement?

If you are in the Uk there is an online form on Playstation support that gives you a label to print and return. Just got a new one a replacement for my launch pad with exactly same issue. Luckily i was just inside the year, new one feels slightly different and i'm sure heavier.

Im getting L3 issues with my controller.

Same here. Sprinting in Destiny has been messed up; it's like the stick just stops working momentarily.

Then yesterday, had multiple instances when I started the console up where the controller(aside from working to start the console) wasn't responding at all; none of the buttons were working.

Just outside of the 1 year warranty too. Sigh.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Same here. Sprinting in Destiny has been messed up; it's like the stick just stops working momentarily.

Then yesterday, had multiple instances when I started the console up where the controller(aside from working to start the console) wasn't responding at all; none of the buttons were working.

isn't this just a destiny thing? i recall having that issue in destiny where you had to wait a little before being able to spring again. have no issues printing all day with cod.

McFadge

Welp, I'm trying to contact Sony about this to get it fixed, but feel I'm being thrown around. I've been redirected between the Sony Store (where I bought the system) and the PlayStation Support line a few times now, and neither one seems to want to do anything.

The support line said they only handle the PS4 system (I'd need to contact the store I purchased the controller from), the store says they have a 3 month DOA replacement policy (I'd need to contact PlayStation to claim a return on manufacturer warranty), and now the support line has told me I need to go into the Sony Store, talk to them, and have them ring PlayStation on how to proceed.

I have two controllers which are wearing down, and my brother has one with a crack in the rubber (though his is through EB Games so that'll be another thing to deal with).

Very annoying. The response from PlayStation US seems much better.

I'm starting to lose my second controller. My character started running for no reason in Assassins Creed Unity and I realized the R2 is partially down.

Unfortunately, the warranty is over. Just thought I'd report in.

isn't this just a destiny thing? i recall having that issue in destiny where you had to wait a little before being able to spring again. have no issues printing all day with cod.

I know what you're saying but no, it was in addition to the games' mechanics.

Verified by the fact that my left stick was malfunctioning while playing Evil Within last night as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just started to get the peeling problem and don't really want to disassemble the controller... any good "over the top" options out there?

SharkJAW

I've been having issues with my left analogue stick not responding to presses, as well. Occasionally, the controller won't respond to me moving the analogue stick in the forward direction either. I've ordered a new DS4 and am hoping that this won't be an issue again. Is it overuse that caused this problem? I've used my DS3 since 2008 (probably thousands of hours of game time) and have never needed to replace it, so running into the problem I did confused me.

The rubber is starting to rip on one of my controllers and the other controller doesn't have the same type of rubber so it's not rip able.

But the damn analogs are too hard and hurt my thumbs when playing so I ordered kontrol freek vortex grips, hoping they'll be comfortable. Will also switch out the analogs with the ripping rubber.

Suirrad

I've been having issues with my left analogue stick not responding to presses, as well. Occasionally, the controller won't respond to me moving the analogue stick in the forward direction either.

I am having the exact same issue. There is a noticeable difference when clicking L3 and R3, especially straight up. I noticed something was wrong when I failed the Yoga mission in GTAV several times when I had to push the left stick straight up. Switched to COD:AW after a while and was welcomed to stuttering sprinting and unresponsive L3 / left stick presses. It made it unbearable with the exosuits being such a big part. I also just started to notice peeling on the left stick :(

I can't say for sure, but I have little doubt that these issues come from the exosuits in COD. Though it is a launch controller, I've had zero issues until recently. I've thought about taking the controller apart and seeing if I could clean it or something. IDK man, I just really don't want to buy another one right now....

RS4-

Well this sucks, one of my DS4's has the left analog problem. While playing DA:I, pushing up will sometimes walk, stutter step, run, walk, etc etc.

Noticed it last week when I was playing COD while trying to sprint, thought I was going crazy, since I was used to my other DS4 not having a problem.

FrsDvl

My rubber started to wear off a while ago, ordered XBO thumbsticks, still waiting to get them in. Decided to take the rubber off all the way.

I have to say the ds4 thumbsticks are a lot better without rubber on them. I'll probably still replace them though, just for the little extra grip on the XBO sticks.

My Xbox One sticks have a weird deadzone. Like if I move the sticks just a little, nothing happens in the games. :(

when you increase the length of an analog stick it will take less effort to manipulate it. this will result in it feeling like there is a bigger dead zone when the controller was designed for shorter sticks.

Top Bottom