• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi XL vs. *new* 3DS for DS games?

JimPanzer

So, currently I own a new 3DS (not XL) and I have a ton of DS games in my backlog. I've read somewhere that DS games look much better on the original hardware when compared to the 3DS. Does this also hold true for the *new* 3DS?
I'm going to play almost all of the games in my backlog in Japanese, so if the DSi XL makes the text less pixelated I would consider one since they are not that pricy anymore. Any thoughts?

Stopdoor

You know you can hold 'Start' to output DS games on any 3DS in a smaller window at a more correct resolution right? It's the same on a New 3DS except the slighter bigger screen means that shrunken view is a little less shrunk.

The corrected view looks great, the only problem is on a regular 3DS (haven't tried XL) it's a decent bit smaller than a DS screen.

You know you can hold 'Start' to output DS games on any 3DS in a smaller window at a more correct resolution right? It's the same on a New 3DS except the slighter bigger screen means that shrunken view is a little less shrunk.

/thread

Games look much better on the NN3DS if you do the button thing 'cause the panel is just much better.

IIRC it was Start+Select, though.

/thread

Games look much better on the NN3DS if you do the button thing 'cause the panel is just much better.

IIRC it was Start+Select, though.

It's either button.

For regular ds games, the XL N3ds is best simply because you can use 1:1 without it taking roughly as much screen real estate as the original gameboy.

DS games look the same on 3ds or new 3ds systems. Full screen, the look kinda washed out IMO (due to the up scaling not being quite right, unlike psp games on the Vita which look totally fine), but if you play at native resolution on the 3DS XL then they look good. DS games at native resolution on the smaller 3DS's are just too tiny IMO.

I prefer to play my DS games on my DS Lite, but I've heard great things about the DSi XL too.

Another thing that might be worth considering is they shut down the eShop thing on DSi consoles so you would need to buy any DSiWare you wanted on your 3DS anyway.

DS games are fine New 3DS. I bought a cheap DS lite on eBay last year and like it for DS games because the battery last forever and it also can play gba. I've Never tried a DSi

Shepard

I bought a DSi XL after owning a 3ds XL and the difference is like night and day. Pixels look completely blurry on the n3DS because of the different aspecto ratio. Worth the investment.

JimPanzer

holy shit, games look so much better with the start+select trick. but now the screen is too damn small. Will I get this image quality (or close to it) on the DSi XL?

butman

N3DS XL + Hold Start button before launching the game. 1:1 perfect pixel experience in a better screen.

The DS Lite is still the best option for me. I tried all models, DSi, XL, 3DS, 3DS XL and the n3DS and it still looks best on the Lite. The XL is terrible in my opinion, the colors are off. Atleast on mine.

The Lite also plays GBA games, so it's my 2in1 device to go for both systems.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
New 3DS. You will appreciate having that analog nub simulating the dpad for comfortable movement in certain DS games. OMG playing an RPG or any game that requires holding a direction for long periods to move around, LIGHT years more comfy with the nub over the DS dpad.

Do your thumbs a favor...

That said games do look a bit washed out and blurry on 3DS if full screen. 1:1 mode looks great but it may bother having black bars surrounding the image. Still nub comfort is more important in my experience.

Link_enfant

DSi XL is definitely the best way to enjoy DS games imo, the N3DS XL with 1:1 mode being second.
Also, as far as I know, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a superior IPS panel on both screens on DSi XL, which sadly isn't the case at all for N3DS XL.

Miker

DSi XL is the GOAT DS model, and the definitive way to play DS games. You get pixel-perfect clarity in a large screen, and it's far more comfortable having the d-pad in the top left. It also weighs a decent amount less than a 3DS XL, which makes for more comfortable sessions. Besides all that, you have the satisfaction of owning Nintendo's best-designed handheld ever. If you're a serious fan of the DS library, I really urge you to play your games with the DSi XL because it's that much better than everything else (except maybe the DSi). You haven't lived until you've played Trauma Center on a DSi XL w/ two styluses.

Top Bottom