• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense has less latency than Xbox Controller

jaysius

Banned
Until someone comes out with a more accurate test.

Good for Sony if this holds up with further testing.

This guy hasn't been known to have great opinions on anything technical ever, he used to be a Nintendo streamer, I think they threw him out of the official loop though, might be another streamer, but possibly him.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
DS4 was the same too, Xbox controllers always exhibit more lag.

The DS4 BACK BUTTON attachment added so much lag to the fucking controller it wasn't even funny, maybe it was just my controller(the first revision with the top light bar that shipped with the first PS4 Pros) but it's fucking awful and Sony should have tested that bullshit better.

Only casuals play wireless.

WHOLE lot of casuals out there playing games.

On that note, this news of the SUPER FAST LOW LAG, will really only impact the SUPER HARDCORE gamers, as most players won't notice the LAG that Series X has. As the streamer states Xbox put out some marketing about lag reduction which is why he's "calling" them on it. He also admits at the EXACT SAME TIME, that his results aren't scientific in any shape or form. Hell his finger could even be slower due to the shape of the Xbox Series X controller curve on the triggers, who knows, this test isn't great.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
FoolishEverlastingChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

Yoda

Would need to remove the trigger caps for a more scientific test, but looks promising for PS.

jaysius

Banned
Would need to remove the trigger caps for a more scientific test, but looks promising for PS.

You could test the front buttons with some very simple robot to make it fair.

There are a ton of tests that have been done in the past, this isn't a new idea, people have figured this out before.

Vognerful

Until someone comes out with a more accurate test.

Good for Sony if this holds up with further testing.

This guy hasn't been known to have great opinions on anything technical ever, he used to be a Nintendo streamer, I think they threw him out of the official loop though, might be another streamer, but possibly him.
He is still a nintendo hard ore though. You can hear him comparing everything to nintendo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The fact that there were two different speeds over the USB cable would suggest to me that there might be something different with the video settings on the TV with each console. Either that or something is incredibly messed up with the polling on the Xbox controller but that would really surprise me.

Marketing for "dynamic latency input" aside there is more lag with bluetooth than with 2.4ghz wireless. That has always been the case. Not a deal breaker or anything worth console warring over. If anyone is trying to pay competitively they are playing with the usb cable. There is a google sheet with the data for the MiSTer project that shows this to be the case: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KlRObr3Be4zLch7Zyqg6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is DLI a blanket feature or does it need to be implemented by developers.

Because if hes saying its 8 -10 frames on Xbox thats approx 132 - 160ms of latency, in a Call of Duty game?
Thats worse latency than Killzone Shadowfall or TLOUR?
In a Call of Duty game?
Consider that Call of Duty on lastgen consoles would be in the 40 - 60ms of input Latency....you telling me the more than doubled the Input Latency for this generation?

Thats more than double the latency of Gears 5 at 60fps let alone 120fps.

I know we love cheering for bad news against which console isnt ours but this is far from scientific and we have seen proved results of DLI working.
Here something is clearly NOT working.

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

RaZoR No1

Why didn't he changed the controller configs to use the bumpers or the facebuttons? This way he could eliminate nearly completly the travel from the triggers.

But still, amazing how Sony manages to have such a low lag using Bluetooth. They already aced it with the DS4 (according to a test with an andruino device wireless DS4 was even quicker than wired DS4 😅)

Because if hes saying its 8 -10 frames on Xbox thats approx 132 - 160ms of latency, in a Call of Duty game?
In a Call of Duty game?
Consider that Call of Duty on lastgen consoles would be in the 40 - 60ms of input Latency....you telling me the more than doubled the Input Latency for this generation?

I know we love cheering for bad news against which console isnt ours but this is far from scientific and we have seen proved results of DLI working.

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv
That doesn't mean anything though. If gears was on ps5 it would have lower latency . He is comparing 2 multiplatform games

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Watch the steam in background and how fast is "pouring", with DS it's funning faster. So I don't know. Not saying it cannot be true tho.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This includes the latency of his TV. Nonetheless, Dual Sense is showing 2-3 frames faster than Xbox controller.

Im not doubting the Dual Sense has lower latency than the Series X controller.
The DualShock had crazy low latency as well.
Also, trigger activation points differ between the controllers, he should have used bumpers or buttons to see the actual results.
Analog vs digital will give different results even on the exact same controller.

Just pointing out that this guys results and methodology are clearly broken and MS talking about DLI was versus the Xbox One not versus the Dual Sense.
SO its not exactly shocking that the Dual Sense could have better latency they had better latency lastgen too.........all MS needs to justify all their talking about DLI as a whole is have the Series X controller be faster than the Xbox One controller.
Which from tests in Ori and Gears it proves to be faster.

That doesn't mean anything though. If gears was on ps5 it would have lower latency . He is comparing 2 multiplatform games

Read the above.
Im not disputing the Dual Sense having lower latency than the Series X controller.
Simply pointing out that DLI was versus the stock XB1 controller.....which MS have already proved DLI works.

cireza

Poor demonstration. Might be true, that's not the problem. But the way it is demonstrated is pointless.

Sony finally makes a really good controller. Stop the presses. 😉

Seriously tho, love the Dual Sense. But the battery life is meh and the D-pad is DOGSHIT.

The TV / panel makes a big difference, but... 5 - 8 frames is nothing to brag about. It's something to hang your head in shame over.

This analysis does not sound very accurate. The Xbox team did a quite good job in reducing the latency. You can clear see in Gears V. I think there are better analysis showing the improvements. Shoud be around 5ms and even down to 3ms with 120Hrz.

In a Call of Duty game?

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv
Latency on XBX was abnormally high. BTW when I play on XB1 (or Switch) I always notice the higher input lag in most games compared to most PS4 games.

The current latency (for 60fps games) here on XSX is the usual latency on many 60fps games on PS4. For instance God of War on Pro using the performance mode has about 60ms of latency.

And Call of Duty on Pro has usually about 40ms input lag at 60fps (so the same latency of the 120fps mode in Gears 5).

Last edited:
Top Bottom