• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duck Dynasty's Phil: Black People were happy pre-civil rights era, pre-welfare, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

I'm a Christian and I am praying for Phil!! I'm trying to do all I can to spread the word. I just painted this painting of Phil as a modern day Moses. Please support!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1445017532393373&set=o.220522928130438&type=1&ref=nf

555616_1445017532393373_2022583595_n.jpg

It's an eBay link, obviously a troll cashing in (I hope at least), but still.

Chumly

Its amazing how conservatives are brushing the racist comments under the rug. They are rallying around the "anti-gay" comments and pretending he just disagrees with homosexuality when in reality he said some VERY offensive stuff and equated homosexuality with bestiality. This entire thing has nothing to do with "just" disagreeing with homosexuality.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This was run in our paper this morning. Extremely surprising, considering how extremely conservative this area and our publishers are.

Hah, fantastic.

I almost wonder if this whole thing is a cynical ploy to temporarily make even more money off merchandise, but I suppose it'd probably be better orchestrated in that case. Or perhaps only the family is on it, knowing they have leverage over A&E. Or, this is really just an unanticipated mess.

AlexMogil

Not to get off message but I hate when someone writes an "open letter." An open letter is meant to be to an individual that you are sharing with a wide audience.

On message, I think the guy is right. There's been dozens of people in this thread who have said the same thing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hah, fantastic.

I almost wonder if this whole thing is a cynical ploy to temporarily make even more money off merchandise, but I suppose it'd probably be better orchestrated in that case. Or perhaps only the family is on it, knowing they have leverage over A&E. Or, this is really just an unanticipated mess.

But A&E gets most of the merchandise money, so what leverage do they really have?

Measley

Its really incredible how racist and homophobic a lot of Americans are. The undercurrents of bigotry run deep in this society.

Fiktion

Banned
Its really incredible how racist and homophobic a lot of Americans are. The undercurrents of bigotry run deep in this society.

Grass is always greener on the other side. I'm not white, and there are only a handful of countries that I'd feel as comfortable living in when it comes to racial sensitivity. Canada, United Kingdom, maybe New Zealand. That's about all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can't remember the thread, but someone posted a pic of the world regarding the amount of racism, and America fared very, very well in regards to tolerance and acceptance. We're still a pretty progressive county.

CrankyJay

Banned

It really depends where you are...on the coasts you'll find more tolerance and love, and usually the bigots are the ones with the loudest mouths.

MikeDown

Banned
For all the shit the South gets, I think the Mid West is actually worse as far as racism and homophobia go.
prolly is

No, what is really incredible is how americans are so offended/butthurt by certain things. Despite Phil's comments there is worse shit going on in other parts of the world.

Measley

No, what is really incredible is how americans are so offended/butthurt by certain things. Despite Phil's comments there is worse shit going on in other parts of the world.

The problem isn't what Phil said. The problem is the millions of Americans who agree with his bullshit.

A large portion of that is the older generation that unfortunately is just going to have to die off for that number to really change. There is always going to be like 10% that never changes. Hell 10% of people apparently oppose interracial marriage

MikeDown

Banned
The problem isn't what Phil said. The problem is the millions of Americans who agree with his bullshit.
People are entitled to an opinion as offensive and incorrect as it may be. I honestly doubt Phil and most Christians who share his views, hate homosexuals or would turn them away if they need help, they are just saying they view that as a sin, just like anything else. Offensive and as bigoted as that may sound I would argue that it is a step up from the homosexuals killed in Africa or persecuted in Russia.

People are entitled to an opinion as offensive and incorrect as it may be. I honestly doubt Phil and most Christians who share his views, hate homosexuals or would turn them away if they need help, they are just saying they view that as a sin, just like anything else. Offensive and as bigoted as that may sound I would argue that it is a step up from the homosexuals killed in Africa or persecuted in Russia.

Who in the world said they weren't entitled to their opinions? Why are you just building up so many strawmans about how much worse it is everywhere else?

that's irrelevant to this discussion though, this is about the US. We don't get a free pass just because other parts of the world are worse.

akira28

Don't make it a crux issue for Christians, because while many Christians will say that it is a sin, they don't give a fuck what you do, and that shouldn't be the point or even brought into the matrix of what the problem with what Phil said. People sin every day and it's up to God to forgive them. Masturbation is a sin. Saying curse words is a sin. Sex before marriage is a sin. People commit 'sins' and they don't equate to things that hurt others like murder or exploitation or lying. There are different levels of sin, and it's all, according to the fundamentals of the faith, between you and God. The social fundamentalist moralizing and discrimination against minorities has nothing to do with sin, and everything to do with how people use religion to control and suppress people they don't like or feel threatened by.

So if you try to make this an issue where Christians have to say whether or not homosexuality is a sin, that is a valley that doesn't need to be crossed really. Phyric victory with lots of fallout, when instead it's already established as a civil issue of public disrespect to an innocent part of the community that can be pressed along those lines. Some people would want to turn this into a religious crusade, like Phil and the gang with his 'righteous path' rhetoric have already started. But it's senseless and unnecessary. I say let them enter the valley and starve.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Or the many people not even discussing what he actually said, but just only wanting to talk about the the bible scripture section.

The most recent polls on the topic say ~37% of Americans believe homosexuality is a sin. The good news is that it's down from 45%. The bad news is that it still works out to over 116 million people.

Why does this matter to people? Being that the Bible does say it's a sin, that doesn't mean that people have to be intolerate towards those people. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Revolver

I was in line at the grocery store yesterday and a group in front of me were crowing about Cracker Barrel caving in to the pressure. The checker was a black lady who looked really uncomfortable and just didn't say anything. I felt bad for her having to put up with those hillbillies doing their victory dance. I wish people wouldn't be such insensitive jerks.

Or the many people not even discussing what he actually said, but just only wanting to talk about the the bible scripture section.

Why does this matter to people? Being that the Bible does say it's a sin, that doesn't mean that people have to be intolerate towards those people. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Because it's ridiculous. Calling something genetic to someone a sin is damaging even if the people aren't intolerant. Calling it a sin means that to gay people who listen to that bullshit think they have something to apologize or repent for just for being alive.

I was in line at the grocery store yesterday and a group in front of me were crowing about Cracker Barrel caving in to the pressure. The checker was a black lady who looked really uncomfortable and just didn't say anything. I felt bad for her having to put up with those hillbillies doing their victory dance. I wish people wouldn't be such insensitive jerks.
well now you can tell those people that he's being supported by a group who protest at soldiers' funerals! I'm sure that won't cause any cognitive dissonance!

55c3af01_Westboro-Baptist-Church-Dead-Soldiers.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
37%-45% of Americans think homosexuality is a sin. 50% of Americans have unfavorable opinions of Black people. Yet Duck's black quotes are largely being ignored...

MikeDown

Banned
And they're stupid and ignorant for having those opinions.
Fair enough.

that's irrelevant to this discussion though, this is about the US. We don't get a free pass just because other parts of the world are worse.
And I never said they should get a free pass, I feel A&E has the right to do whatever they please.

Who in the world said they weren't entitled to their opinions? Why are you just building up so many strawmans about how much worse it is everywhere else?
I just felt that was the tone coming from some people, wasn't intentionally trying to build a strawman. I just think there are more things to be outraged over then some sleezy remarks said in an interview.

I just felt that was the tone coming from some people, wasn't intentionally trying to build a strawman. I just think there are more things to be outraged over then some sleezy remarks said in an interview.

That is more than anything a consequence of the rousing defense of Phil by the right wing. If there would have been no counter-reaction to A&E's decision to stop promoting intolerance, this would have died down relatively quickly. It's the conservative outrage that is ridiculous.

MikeDown

Banned
That is more than anything a consequence of the rousing defense of Phil by the right wing. If there would have been no counter-reaction to A&E's decision to stop promoting intolerance, this would have died down relatively quickly. It's the conservative outrage that is ridiculous.
I was watching Fox News (please don't hurt me) the other night and the conservative pundits always seem to forget his other comments on blacks, which I don't see how you can defend. Both sides of the isle are equally capable of knee-jerk reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom