• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remasted Announced (Capcom/Wayforward, $15, XBLA/PS3/WiiU/PC)

Reiko

Banned
Am I the only person who's a little bewildered by all the hype this game is generating? Not that I mind a Duck Tales orgy.

More like a Disney Afternoon orgy...

171974_24810837198211pojnf.jpg

I checked into this while still at work and the thread is still going full speed ahead I see, amazing.

Any old Talkradar fans will feel the same way I feel. I'm super glad we're getting this but feel even happier for Chris Antista at Capcom that this is happening.

vg260

This is interesting:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...cide-to-remake-ducktales?post_num=2#530062123

Sven said:
Frankly, you guys asked for it, here on Capcom-Unity. That's why.

About two and a half years ago I started working toward this with Disney because people here kept asking for it (and because I'm a fan too). About a year and a half ago I completed the general outlines of the deal. Disney was on board (and really excited). I then sold the whole concept of the project to Japan as we took it through greenlight.

Wayforward was actually Disney's suggestion given their creative director's LOVE for the original and after we did due diligence we totally agreed. Matt Bozon is a star and their experience with Shantae, Contra 4 and Mighty Switch Force made them the right choice. Jake K. ("Virt") on the music was also a deal sealer for us. They've been wonderful to work with and we've kept this title very underwraps, even internally. For example, I don't think anyone in Japan has even seen a build at any point so far (maybe until today :)).

As for the future, I'd like to not get ahead of ourselves. I'm thrilled at the fan response this morning but for the moment, we're going to stay focused on making this project a success. If it works, we can think about other opportunities later but let's not put the cart before the horse. :)

He also listed this and D&D:SoM among his favorite games in another thread, so for as much crap as he gets, it does sound like he's a fan too, and has helped push for some of this to happen. He had mentioned in the past he helped strike up MvC2 re-release conversations with Marvel and seal the MvC3 deal.

theaface

What a totally unexpected and yet wonderful surprise! Oh how my nostalgia gland throbs at the thought of reliving this classic...

Sentenza

no Capcom behind it

they also dont seem to have been pimping the greenlight page enough. No one knows its there
No press coverage, no promotion whatsoever and they tried to "pitch" the game with a trailer from the iPhone version, for Christ's sake.

And still people like to blame Greenlight when this [Shantae] can't gather enough attention and votes. I blame Wayforward, honestly.

And this is the only reason I still look into any Capcom threads, there are still some people in Capcom US that are doing the gaming gods' work... but it's far too often disheartening that Capcom Japan comes in and sh**s all over the table more times than not.

That said... After much internal debate and fighting with my inner demons/child... I have decided that I will forgo my personal embargo on all Capcom games for this one title. For 2 years I haven't bought or even touched a single capcom game (since they canceled Legends 3) but I will TEMPORARILY give truce to Capcom and purchase this game when it's out, and may even double dip if there is a 3DS version eventually announced/released on top of the HD console versions... If only to show that it's a great step, and that games like this deserve as much love and attention as everyone can give. We need more classic revivals.

As I said before, it's great that Indies have mostly stepped up to reclaim some of these old nostalgic type genres, but they'll never fully have it because they don't have the resources or the characters we grew up on to back them up.

After finally getting home and watching the trailer... it looks rather rough, the dran sprites look nice and the backgrounds being 3D are good but it actually looks like a rather cheap budget game, worse so then the average rocket knight adventures game we had a few years back.

kunonabi

And this is the only reason I still look into any Capcom threads, there are still some people in Capcom US that are doing the gaming gods' work... but it's far too often disheartening that Capcom Japan comes in and sh**s all over the table more times than not.

That said... After much internal debate and fighting with my inner demons/child... I have decided that I will forgo my personal embargo on all Capcom games for this one title. For 2 years I haven't bought or even touched a single capcom game (since they canceled Legends 3) but I will TEMPORARILY give truce to Capcom and purchase this game when it's out, and may even double dip if there is a 3DS version eventually announced/released on top of the HD console versions... If only to show that it's a great step, and that games like this deserve as much love and attention as everyone can give. We need more classic revivals.

As I said before, it's great that Indies have mostly stepped up to reclaim some of these old nostalgic type genres, but they'll never fully have it because they don't have the resources or the characters we grew up on to back them up.

Yeah, Capcom has done enough this year to take them off boycott territory. DmC was crap and LP3 is looking just as bad but everything else from them as been fantastic. I just hope good Capcom continues.

vg260

This made me smile. For all of Capcom's BS lately, it's nice to know that sometimes even the most ridiculous things can go as perfectly as one can imagine.

It sounds like they're also making quite a few changes, so let's see how it goes.

I wish I could remember if I played this or not. I think maybe I rented it. Could you switch between the characters for different stages?

Eusis

Most of my anger with Capcom was through MML3, but part of that's being MOSTLY apathetic about fighting games (and to a degree I recognize on disc DLC can be a necessary evil, though this works better for costumes than characters.) Anything else has either been relatively minor (NOOO MY MANUALS) or not really their fault anyway (being unable to get the old MML games on PSN. :()

so we all have the theme song stuck in our heads ever since we read this fucking hours ago right

cant deal with it

Yes, when I read the title, I swear I must have read it wrong, but I clicked the link and was treated to that epic bit of teasing... Then the sing-a-long came and I was doomed. It will be in my head for days. My wife is already giving me odd looks every time I start humming it to myself.

He also listed this and D&D:SoM among his favorite games in another thread, so for as much crap as he gets, it does sound like he's a fan too, and has helped push for some of this to happen. He had mentioned in the past he helped strike up MvC2 re-release conversations with Marvel and seal the MvC3 deal.

I remember when Sven ran the Atari Jaguar fan site.

Most of my anger with Capcom was through MML3, but part of that's being MOSTLY apathetic about fighting games (and to a degree I recognize on disc DLC can be a necessary evil, though this works better for costumes than characters.) Anything else has either been relatively minor (NOOO MY MANUALS) or not really their fault anyway (being unable to get the old MML games on PSN. :()

megaman in general has been shat on by capcom and we still have no ideas why, this game coming out is nice and all but they still have a lot to prove.

Eusis

megaman in general has been shat on by capcom and we still have no ideas why, this game coming out is nice and all but they still have a lot to prove.
I suspect with MML3 no longer under production and Inafune gone they're honestly at a loss at what to do with it. The best strategy really may be to lock it away for awhile then bring it back, similar to Street Fighter.

Oh, and StarTropics would probably be OK adapting some of Star Tropic 2's improvements, but I think in some ways those raised problems. Need to replay that one.

vg260

I suspect with MML3 no longer under production and Inafune gone they're honestly at a loss at what to do with it. The best strategy really may be to lock it away for awhile then bring it back, similar to Street Fighter.

Yeah. As much as people want something ASAP, that might be a better idea.

Yeah. As much as people want something ASAP, that might be a better idea.

ASAP? Besides xOver, when do you think the last Mega Man games was released?

The last X title? 2004
The last Legend title? 2000
The last Battle.net? 2005
The last Zero? 2005
The last spin off? 2008 (Star Force)
The last Mega Man game period? 2010 (Mega Man 10)

So of all the mainline Mega Man series, the last 2 titles (MM9 and 10) were both NES style throw backs 3 years ago, before that we got some weird spin-off in Star Force 3 in 2008, nearly 5 years ago. At this point, it's been long enough that Mega Man fans are beyond jonesing for a new more modern entry in the series.

Muku

I wish I could remember if I played this or not. I think maybe I rented it. Could you switch between the characters for different stages?

It was just Scrooge you played as, on his pogo stick cane. Though, if you've played it, it's hard to forget. The music is just.. is just... well, all that needs saying is The Moon.

Jobbs

Banned
I love way forward to death and have fond childhood memories of duck tales. I love this.

my only minor gripe is I'd have preferred 2D environments. I'm not a fan of polygons in sidescrollers pretty much ever, and I THOUGHT WF would understand that as well.

I can't even remember a Disney cartoon show with animation that good in recent memory.

Remember how good the animation was in Bonkers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qR8bw013m8

That Bonkers never used Toontown with Los Angeles (so a modern, well 90's, version of Roger Rabbit's universe), solving police cases of disney characters (so like house of mouse but with misteries around Toontown and Los Angeles instead of a club) has always deluded me.
It could have been a GREAT idea if it had been pushed to its fullest.

Also, for you first phrase: Gravity Falls.

actually there have been some fantastic cartoons over the last few years.

they all died this year :(

Arent adventure Time, MLP and Gravity Falls still going? No doubt we had some sad casualties this year, but not all of the good series have died yet.

It was just Scrooge you played as, on his pogo stick cane. Though, if you've played it, it's hard to forget. The music is just.. is just... well, all that needs saying is The Moon.

While I certainly remember the moon theme, I don't understand why anyone likes it. The first section especially gets kinda high-pitched and grating. Give me the jungle theme any day.

More like a Disney Afternoon orgy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD5Si_AT25Y :p

This is interesting:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...cide-to-remake-ducktales?post_num=2#530062123

Interesting indeed that it was one of the people at Disney who requested Wayforward to do the port. I wonder who Capcom would've outsourced this to instead? Really happy that they are bringing a port of D&D:SoM too.

Those characters are gorgeous, they nailed it.

Courtesy of SolidSnakeX
I agree with the ugly 2.5-D backgrounds, but I guess fully painted 2-D ones would have been more expensive/time consuming?

I dunno why it would be. In that gif you posted, the mountains, the tree in the foreground, the textures for the ground all look like they were still hand painted anyway. I don't see going completely 2D being more time consuming than what they have there.

Top Bottom