• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem 3D Anniversary Edition Coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC

The CE was $20 new at Gamestop so I went for it

It is a good game to be fair, however this was released at the worst possible timing because 3 weeks later Overwatch came out and completely demolished Battleborn in both players and sales

Now it's laughing stock even with the new heroes and DLC offered.

EmiPrime

Real talk, Duke was always somewhat overrated and not very good beyond the first episode. The first two levels were masterpieces of FPS level design and that first impression really stuck.

Even so, 90s PC gaming kids know that Blood was always the best Build Engine game.

Endless

Here's the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3UPho3gRI

cbgcei.JPG

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Just to confirm this.

Duke It Out In D.C.
Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach
Duke: Nuclear Winter

are missing from this version of the game, this just includes the Atomic Edition episodes (and the new one of course)

Agh, why?

I mean, I wouldn't miss Nuclear Winter, but DC is okay and Life's a Beach is great. They had an easy shot at making this the definitive version of the game and they blew it. Blagh.

Real talk, Duke was always somewhat overrated and not very good beyond the first episode. The first two levels were masterpieces of FPS level design and that first impression really stuck.

Where Duke always shined for me was the multiplayer. For pure deathmatch fun and laughs, it's hard to top Duke. I assume though this doesn't support any MP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Then do a Skyrim Anniversary and release this as the PS4/Xbox One version and give it for free to owners of the Megaton Edition on Steam. They should at the very least offer a hefty discount. I can't help but be incredibly cynical about this and I wasn't even alive when Duke 3D came out.

Atomic Edition cost more than $20 and added a single episode to the existing Duke 3D. I agree that today it's a bit of a weird value proposition to suggest that a new episode of a game is worth $20, but I think they're probably reflecting the fact that most people will wait for a sale if they just want the extra episode.

EDIT: It doesn't even include the three expansion packs already included with the Megaton Edition.

Megaton Edition includes unofficial third party map packs like Duke it Out in DC. They are a fun curiosity, but they aren't remotely as good as the original 4 episodes. This is an official expansion pack by the original level designers.

I already own Duke 3D on like 3 different platforms, but God Damnit I love this game and will happily purchase it again.

SHAKE IT BABY!

Ivan

Haha nice, new kids need to play this. I'll buy it again.

There's something oddly nice about seeing an old game like that (a DOS game to be precise) being released on modern consoles...

Plum

Atomic Edition cost more than $20 and added a single episode to the existing Duke 3D.

Megaton Edition includes unofficial third party map packs like Duke it Out in DC. They are a fun curiosity, but they aren't remotely as good as the original 4 episodes. This is an official expansion pack by the original level designers.

Not sure what the Atomic Edition has to do with this, it was released in 1996 so of course it would cost above $20.

As for the expansion packs, they're unnoficial, yeah, but they were authorized for sale by the original publishers/creators and are therefore not just your regular old WADs. Considering the Megaton Edition is now unavailable to buy anywhere there is now no way to legally own a version of these expansion packs unless you buy an old PC copy.

According to this review the Megaton Edition was only $9.99 (with Cross-buy on PS3 and Vita) so this version is $10 more for less overall content, official or not.

Quake came out the same year and took over my life so I don't think I ever played MP Duke.

You missed out! Freezing people with the ice gun, stomping on them after using the shrink gun, laying traps with the hologram and laser mines, death-from-above with the jetpack... this game was much more inventive and hilarious than other FPS games.

EmiPrime

You missed out! Freezing people with the ice gun, stomping on them after using the shrink gun, laying traps with the hologram and laser mines, death-from-above with the jetpack... this game was much more inventive and hilarious than other FPS games.

Sounds like it. :( I was too young to LAN it up at the time... must have been great with everyone in the same room.

Mr. Tibbs

It's a bit too expensive for a 20 year old game. At $10, it would a decent proposition for people who missed out on Megaton or want to play D3D on a console, but as much as I want to hear new tracks from Lee Jackson and play new levels from Levelord and Allen Blum, it kind of feels considerably less special when Romero and Jerk from MachineGames are releasing levels for free. The base game has been ported, re-released, and remastered countless times. It's approaching Star Wars levels of greediness here.

Also, the game is running on a modified version of the source code which means the engine is incompatible with all the communities TC's and mods.
By3-FyMCIAIXvOF.jpg

Spoo

For hardcore DN fans I imagine this'll be fine, but I'm kind of annoyed that there wasn't any talk about "where next." DN3D has been sold, sold and sold again. It's an awesome game, and new levels are cool. But it's a completely safe move when I think Gearbox at this point needs to find something risky to do with the IP.

Plum

With Gearbox running things, I'm really not looking forward to "new Duke talk".

I really, REALLY hope that any references to this year's election are kept safely in the trailer and cringe-fest of a panel. References to memes are bad but political memes that will be dated in a few months are several magnitudes worse.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not sure what the Atomic Edition has to do with this, it was released in 1996 so of course it would cost above $20.

Yes, obviously value expectations change over the years. If someone doesn't want to pay $20 for this, that's cool. I won't be paying $20 for this, I don't buy games at release or for full price in 99% of cases. But my point is just that a new episode by the original level designers 20 years later including new textures, a new weapon, and new enemies is a substantial offering and from a contemporary point of view fans were very happy to get the Atomic Edition (I know because I bought it when it released).

Along with the value of content dropping today, we also have more ways to get content for cheap. One reason you price a game at $20 is because you know most people will buy it at 75% off for $5 or in a bundle or whatever. Price stratification is a net win for price-conscious consumers.

As for the expansion packs, they're unnoficial, yeah, but they were authorized for sale by the original publishers/creators and are therefore not just your regular old WADs. Considering the Megaton Edition is now unavailable to buy anywhere there is now no way to legally own a version of these expansion packs unless you buy an old PC copy.

I agree that it is bad for preservation when things are lost to the void. I favour a more expansive public domain and an orphaned works law that would liberate those things. I don't think that's necessarily a reason to pass judgment on this existence of this product because I do not know what the licensing arrangement was behind the scenes or if the licensees are even still available or willing to work with Gearbox. I think if people are interested in those expansion packs, then their absence here is a bummer. My personal experience, having bought Duke it Out in DC in the 90s and having played the other two sets is that they are interesting historical curiosities, but I would rather have a new episode made by the real level designers than authorized third-party spinoff levels. I do own Megaton Edition so I concede this doesn't affect me. Still, my broader point is that I don't think you can say "Megaton had 4+3 episodes and this has 4+1 episodes and that number is lower".

According to this review the Megaton Edition was only $9.99 (with Cross-buy on PS3 and Vita) so this version is $10 more for less overall content, official or not.

Again I think that depends on what you consider "less content" or "more content" is, because "content" isn't an apples to apples comparison. I think they would argue that the additional price is about paying for the new content, the new voicing, etc. Or just reflecting that Megaton was underpriced relative to the launch price growth in the indie and retro space since then and this is an opportunity to re-set the pricing scale. *shrug*

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't get it. They basically just re-releases the Megaton Edition, which they removed a while back. This is probably why.

renzollo

Banned
I'm not sure I understand what this product is. I assumed, based on the rumors, that it would be the original game remastered on the duke forever engine. The article mentions "updated graphics" repeatedly but I don't see anything in the video or still shots that looks any different than the original game. What is this thing exactly? If that video is the "updated graphics" then no thanks, I don't want to spend $20 on a game that you put no effort into other than having people make a few new maps. Especially not based on Gearbox's recent reputation.

Mask

Hmm, not sure I'd trust anything from Gearbox anymore, so I'll wait for a sale or something, or to see if it's even a good port first.

There's no reason they couldn't have stuck the content from Megaton edition in as well though, glad I got that version before it got delisted.

Not sure I like the upgraded graphics aka "we put some yellow lights on the maps and probably changed just enough with the code to break compatibility with 20 years of mods"

Doop

Wait, what did Randy Pitchford do this time? People are mentioning a song or something. Do I want to know?

Also I am very wary about the idea of Duke saying new things. After Duke Nukem Forever I'm pretty scared.

Flux

I hope it has four player splitscreen for all the modes like the doom ports. So much dumb fun to be had.

Plum

Yes, obviously value expectations change over the years. If someone doesn't want to pay $20 for this, that's cool. I won't be paying $20 for this, I don't buy games at release or for full price in 99% of cases. But my point is just that a new episode by the original level designers 20 years later including new textures, a new weapon, and new enemies is a substantial offering and from a contemporary point of view fans were very happy to get the Atomic Edition (I know because I bought it when it released).

I agree that it is bad for preservation when things are lost to the void. I favour a more expansive public domain and an orphaned works law that would liberate those things. I don't think that's necessarily a reason to pass judgment on this existence of this product because I do not know what the licensing arrangement was behind the scenes or if the licensees are even still available or willing to work with Gearbox. I think if people are interested in those expansion packs, then their absence here is a bummer. My personal experience, having bought Duke it Out in DC in the 90s and having played the other two sets is that they are interesting historical curiosities, but I would rather have a new episode made by the real level designers than authorized third-party spinoff levels. I do own Megaton Edition so I concede this doesn't affect me. Still, my broader point is that I don't think you can say "Megaton had 4+3 episodes and this has 4+1 episodes and that number is lower".

Again I think that depends on what you consider "less content" or "more content" is, because "content" isn't an apples to apples comparison. I think they would argue that the additional price is about paying for the new content, the new voicing, etc. Or just reflecting that Megaton was underpriced relative to the launch price growth in the indie and retro space since then and this is an opportunity to re-set the pricing scale. *shrug*

I agree that they should definitely charge for it, it's professional work after all, but considering the engine itself, more than 95% of the assets and a lot of the coding work behind the new version will be ripped straight out of the original Duke 3D or one of its other versions with no changes to them the pricepoint of $20 is unacceptable. The Atomic Edition came out when the game was not even a year old so of course fans were fine with its value, the base game of Duke 3D (along with the Atomic Edition content and three expansion packs) has been available officially for absolutely free at certain points. What you're buying with this is the equivalent to a sourceport and an expansion for a 20 year old game.

I've played through all three expansions and though yeah, the D.C. and Christmas ones were both mediocre, Life's a Beach was really quite good and definitely content worth paying for considering pretty much all of the weapon and enemy assets were revamped along with new textures, sound effects and animations. To me the loss of this content is either a, for lack of a better word, mini-tragedy (if it was lost due to licensing issues) or a deliberate attempt on Gearbox's part to remove it and I don't think anyone should pay $20 to support that. If the content was included in a previous official edition then no matter the quality it should be included in the next.

I don't think it's right to compare this to indie titles and the value we place on those. Firstly, as I said above the majority of the work on this is not Gearbox's work; and secondly for £15 or less I can currently buy indie titles such as Enter the Gungeon, Rocket League, Firewatch, etc which all feature significantly higher production values and, in the first two's case, a lot more value in terms of sheer time you can spend playing them. Even in the realm of "updated versions of classic Build Engine shooters" you can buy the Shadow Warrior Redux for half the price with similar amounts of overall content. So essentially all of my issues arise from this being priced at double the amount I think it should be. People who haven't played Duke before will buy this and get less overall content, whether good or bad, than if they had bought it for half the price a few years ago. People who own the Megaton Edition already are paying $20 for an expansion with significantly less work put into it than similarly priced expansions for new games such as The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Either way it's just not a good value proposition to me and overall it just reeks of Gearbox wanting to get as much money out of this as possible.

I hate supporting Gearbox but classic Duke still fucking rocks.

I'm gonna be making a thread for my impressions of the new levels within the context of a recent playthrough of the vanilla game and it's expansion packs so I can make a detailed breakdown of the quality of these new levels when played right after going through all the classic content. It's pretty much going to be a review of the new content by the biggest Duke Nukem fan ever so I'll be sure to make it interesting for people who don't care about the franchise but are curious about how content made in 2016 holds up when attempting to emulate game design from 20 years ago. I'll be giving away a copy of the game for that thread so check it out and you may be able to play it without supporting Gearbox :p

Top Bottom