• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem 3D Anniversary Edition Coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Great news! I own Megaton (and enjoy the three unofficial packs) but excited to see the original game's enhancements and the new ep in action. Still want news on a proper Duke sequel, though.

As for World Tour, my wish is that George Broussard does the developer commentary. I would fire that up after the game unlocks.

Hail to the king, baby!

stuminus3

Away and shite, Randy. Bring the OG team together to make a whole new game, not just a few levels for another cash in. DN3D has been re-released like 50 times in the last decade alone. This doesn't even have the expansions.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Its a good game.

David-Bowie-Feels-Your-Pain-In-Wince-Reaction-Gif.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Away and shite, Randy. Bring the OG team together to make a whole new game, not just a few levels for another cash in. DN3D has been re-released like 50 times in the last decade alone. This doesn't even have the expansions.

It has 100% of the official expansions + an extra 100% more official expansions.

Loam

Seriously. I'm not really understanding why people are pining for fan made levels over new creations by members of the original team.

Eh, despite their lower quality (exception being lifes a beach), the removal of the authorized fan expansions from this release means outside of hunting down an ancient CD there's no legal/easy way to play them since gearbox pulled the Megaton edition for whatever arbitrary reason. Its also sort of uncommon to see a newer release of a product lack such substantial content from a previous edition.

Having new creations from the original team is beyond fantastic, especially after all these years, but when your'e re-releasing such an old game for the umpteenth time at double the cost of its previous incarnation I would expect it to have all the bells and whistles.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
No sale price like with Titan Quest? Seems awfully steep at full price.

Mingledorff

Neo Member
Eh, despite their lower quality (exception being lifes a beach), the removal of the authorized fan expansions from this release means outside of hunting down an ancient CD there's no legal/easy way to play them since gearbox pulled the Megaton edition for whatever arbitrary reason. Its also sort of uncommon to see a newer release of a product lack such substantial content from a previous edition.

Having new creations from the original team is beyond fantastic, especially after all these years, but when your'e re-releasing such an old game for the umpteenth time at double the cost of its previous incarnation I would expect it to have all the bells and whistles.

Gearbox didn't pull Megaton. It was delisted because Devolver no longer had rights to distribute the game (Gearbox never was the distributor of it).

My honest guess would be that maybe Gearbox didn't get the rights to the DLCs to release them when they got the rights to Duke?

But none of those previous versions are available to purchase anywhere now. Gearbox took down all Duke Nukem related digital purchases (Duke 1, 2, 3D, Manhattan project, etc) that are not related to Duke Nukem Forever. This is Gearbox removing everything Duke Nukem 3D that was already there and replacing it with their own new port of the game.

Yeah, the down side is that it lacks all of the third party expansions from the Megaton Edition. But in its place we are getting 8 new level made from original level designers. But it is still a bit of a shame that all of the other related Duke stuff is no longer available to purchase anywhere digitaly.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Furious nodding.

I wonder, will this version even have multiplayer? Have they said anything on that front? I'd like to be optimistic and think hey, maybe they'll have local multiplayer this time too, but I think it'd behoove me to set my sights on any sort of multiplayer at all first.

I didn't realize the Megaton Edition was no longer available, so you actually do have a valid point.

abracadaver

Just to confirm this.

Duke It Out In D.C.
Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach
Duke: Nuclear Winter

are missing from this version of the game, this just includes the Atomic Edition episodes (and the new one of course)

Good. Then I don't have to replay them.

I especially hated Life's a Beach with the annoying music and shitty weapons.

Zubz

Banned
I hate Gearbox as a company, but like... I really, really love Duke Nukem 3D, you guys. And I expect Randy to pull some shenanigan(s), but it looks good, too.

So, that girl near the end of the song was looking at him and thinking "What the hell?" And smiled and nodded along while the entire audience got a car at the end of that song? I don't even know what I watched. Why the hell isn't there someone in the audience yelling WHERE'S SEGA'S MONEY?!

But that song I dunno how to feel. That's kinda something embarassing, but he looked to be having fun? I don't know.

Mr. Tibbs

So, that girl near the end of the song was looking at him and thinking "What the hell?" And smiled and nodded along while the entire audience got a car at the end of that song? I don't even know what I watched. Why the hell isn't there someone in the audience yelling WHERE'S SEGA'S MONEY?!

But that song I dunno how to feel. That's kinda something embarassing, but he looked to be having fun? I don't know.

The comments on that video are revolting. There's nothing wrong with teasing that particular subset of 'gamers' or whatever, but the delivery and choice of venue (complete with captive audience) is beyond embarrassing.

Randy never comes across like a genuine person. There was one point in the stream were he briefly touched on the fact received and accepted credit in the shipped product for one of Levelord's maps in The Birth expansion (post-Hypnotic/Ritual exodus). He denied it back in the day. That would be a nice mea culpa if he left it there. Like "I was a young jerk, and shouldn't have done that." Instead, he uses the opportunity to essentially say, "we're all entertainers in the game industry. Levelord got his own back by getting credit for one of my maps in the soon-to-be-released episode 5, but I don't mind. I'm not the kind of guy who cares about that and it's simply a coincidence I decided to mention it to an audience of thousands so people know who to credit."

The is seriously in the top ten of best first person shooters ever. Just so so good.

I don't think I finished all the extra episodes. Even loved the museum level that some hate. Open and random.

My favorite reaction from the event ...

Thwh1Wk.gif

That overhead shot of the audience just killed me.

2016 has been a shit show for conferences. First the Sonic 25th anniversary, now this one. Though this one doesn't have any pf the technical falters of the Sonic event, but found a way to make the audience cringe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Megaton Edition includes unofficial third party map packs like Duke it Out in DC. They are a fun curiosity, but they aren't remotely as good as the original 4 episodes. This is an official expansion pack by the original level designers.

Duke it out in DC and Life's a Beach aren't that bad. Charlie Wiederhold made all the maps for both packs and did a good enough job to get hired by 3d Realms afterwords.

Bl@de

20$? Yeah, I'll stick to my Megaton Edition and free WADs if I have a sudden urge of Dukestalgia

Huge Duke 3D fan here, but I already have the Megaton edition that has more content.

20 euro is way too much for 1 episode. It's a fast cash grab, nothing wrong with that, but I'm not buying it until it's heavily discounted.
Maybe if they add new episodes to it, they could easily afford a few programmers to make new levels full time.

I really like Duke 3D and was momentarily tempted by this, but already have the Megaton Edition on Vita and the only reason I'd get this is if they added a *lot* of new shit or it were very cheap. Not paying £16 for it; that's for sure.

I hope Gearbox actually do something new with the Duke IP in the next few years. I don't really blame them for Forever, but it's time to show they can make a decent Duke game themselves.

Ludens

Banned
I will take this when bundled or like 2€. I already own...something like 3 Duke Nukem 3D editions, I just wanna play the new episode, but no way Gearbox will see 20€ for this.

I really like Duke 3D and was momentarily tempted by this, but already have the Megaton Edition on Vita and the only reason I'd get this is if they added a *lot* of new shit or it were very cheap. Not paying £16 for it; that's for sure.

I hope Gearbox actually do something new with the Duke IP in the next few years. I don't really blame them for Forever, but it's time to show they can make a decent Duke game themselves.

New episodes is the only thing you can hope for imo. AAA Duke Nukem is never gonna happen again imo.
I'm perfectly fine if they just keep making new episodes and release one every 3-6 months. I can't imagine that porting the game and making new stuff is that difficult or time-consuming or expensive.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm day 1 for this, glad the Atomic episode was included (not bothered about the other unofficial expansions given their quality). I'd also like to see what the graphical improvements are exactly. Hopefully it includes coop (local and online).

I wouldn't mind Forever re-release. I enjoyed my playthrough but by far the major downside was the loading... if they can severely reduce that on modern platforms I'd buy that day one as well!

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Already got Megaton for PC and PSN but don't mind getting this one because of the new stuff.
All we need is for them to remake Forever with 3D gameplay and graphics.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Its a good game.

I wouldn't say it's good... though I wouldn't say it's bad either. It's just very mediocre. It does nothing offensively bad (well, nothing that isn't common for the franchise, that is), but it doesn't do anything particularly good either. It's just there.

Nokterian

My favorite reaction from the event ...

Thwh1Wk.gif

That overhead shot of the audience just killed me.

2016 has been a shit show for conferences. First the Sonic 25th anniversary, now this one. Though this one doesn't have any pf the technical falters of the Sonic event, but found a way to make the audience cringe.

raw

Chronus

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I could almost swear that I can recognize a few of the new levels in that video from way back.

Would need to be a super graphical increase for me to be interested after already owning the game several times over the years (normal edition, atomic on pc, megaton on pc, the 360 release, n64 release etc).

Duke it out in DC and Life's a Beach aren't that bad. Charlie Wiederhold made all the maps for both packs and did a good enough job to get hired by 3d Realms afterwords.
I remember playing D.C. on release (was it free?) and loving it. Anyone remember the free Playboy level? I think it was set at the Playboy mansion. I think in played through it.

Reminds me of the Quake 1 level based on the movie Anaconda. Those one-off product tie-ins were pretty neat, haha.

Top Bottom