• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem 3D Anniversary Edition Coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC

renzollo

Banned
My favorite part of this will be seeing the reaction from all the people who ranted about how terrible Duke Forever was by comparison to Duke 3D and are now gushing that Duke 3D is one of the best games ever etc. I guess we'll see how powerful that nostalgia cocktail really is.

Edit: To be clear, I think Duke 3D was a fine game and I have fond memories of playing it at release. However, even as a teenager I would have found the idea that it was one of the best FPS games of all time to be hilarious.

My favorite part of this will be seeing the reaction from all the people who ranted about how terrible Duke Forever was by comparison to Duke 3D and are now gushing that Duke 3D is one of the best games ever etc. I guess we'll see how powerful that nostalgia cocktail really is.

Edit: To be clear, I think Duke 3D was a fine game and I have fond memories of playing it at release. However, even as a teenager I would have found the idea that it was one of the best FPS games of all time to be hilarious.

Sorry you're mad that all those people were right and you were wrong. Duke 3d is still in the top 5 FPS ever made to this day and it has everything to do with merit and nothing to do with nostalgia. I wouldn't waste my time playing Duke 3d in 2016 if it wasn't a genuinely great game, which it is.

Or are you seriously delusional enough to think that the frankenstein made up of multiple games that ended up being DNF is actually better than DN3D because that would be absolutely hilarious.

renzollo

Banned
Sorry you're mad that all those people were right and you were wrong. Duke 3d is still in the top 5 FPS ever made to this day and it has everything to do with merit and nothing to do with nostalgia. I wouldn't waste my time playing Duke 3d in 2016 if it wasn't a genuinely great game, which it is.

Or are you seriously delusional enough to think that the frankenstein made up of multiple games that ended up being DNF is actually better than DN3D because that would be absolutely hilarious.

I'm not mad at all, and I don't think DNF was a better game than DN3D. I just don't think it was much worse either. As I said, I'm simply looking forward to seeing people replay DN3D after twenty years and hoping that some of them will then contrast that experience with DNF and openly discuss it. If you love DN3D then great, October should be a really fun time for you.

Edit: I guess I should have prefaced that by saying that I did not intend the tone of my original post to sound quite as snide or unconstructive as it reads, and I certainly did not intend to insult people who still love DN3D. I was on my second cup of coffee after a night of very little sleep, so apologies if I offended.

I'm not mad at all, and I don't think DNF was a better game than DN3D. I just don't think it was much worse either. As I said, I'm simply looking forward to seeing people replay DN3D after twenty years and hoping that some of them will then contrast that experience with DNF and openly discuss it. If you love DN3D then great, October should be a really fun time for you.

Edit: I guess I should have prefaced that by saying that I did not intend the tone of my original post to sound quite as snide or unconstructive as it reads, and I certainly did not intend to insult people who still love DN3D. I was on my second cup of coffee after a night of very little sleep, so apologies if I offended.

It's cool, it just seemed like a strange sentiment since duke 3d is objectively a better designed game than Forever so people who said Forever wasn't as good as 3d did have a point. Forever came from the absolute worse era of FPS, the foundation of the version of Forever we got came from the 2006 era of terrible linear as possible level design with bland as possible enemy diversity/weapon selection, a 4 weapon limit and regenerating health compared to Duke 3d coming from the golden era of FPS. I guarantee that if you play both side by side in 2016 you will have an infinitely better time with Duke 3d.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's cool, it just seemed like a strange sentiment since duke 3d is objectively a better designed game than Forever so people who said Forever wasn't as good as 3d did have a point. Forever came from the absolute worse era of FPS, the foundation of the version of Forever we got came from the 2006 era of terrible linear as possible level design with bland as possible enemy diversity/weapon selection, a 4 weapon limit and regenerating health compared to Duke 3d coming from the golden era of FPS. I guarantee that if you play both side by side in 2016 you will have an infinitely better time with Duke 3d.

Word. I had to play 3D to cleanse my palette after Forever, and to remind myself that I do still like Duke Nukem in certain forms.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I missed getting the Megaton edition on Steam. Been waiting for this to come back so I can complete my 90s FPS collection on Steam.

Ok, played it last year all the way through first time. It's too tier.

Dnf was good to me but no where near 3d. I put 3d with half life, deus ex etc

Dnf goes to second tier which is still good. Maybe fear, bioshock etc

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Should be available now, right? I don't suppose anyone is making an OT, are they?

Interested in seeing the full feature set of this game. On the PS Store page it says 1-8 players, so I'm guessing multiplayer is still in despite that they never seemed to mention it. Think it's still using the classic bad netcode from the megaton edition?

Better question, is anyone playing the game yet? I've got too much work/too many upcoming plans for me to get it right now.

Demoskinos

Game seems okay on PS4. The true 3D modeled levels are interesting and add a lot more positional lightning sources and textures as well as actually modeling the 3D space. Looking up and down no longer stretches the screen like it would in the original version. The one bummer on PS4 is every once in a while I was having momentary hitch. Not enough to damage the flow of thr the game but enough to throw me off.

Also the game has the shift code system that was in borderlands as well. If you really wanna play some Duke on PS4 its worth a purchase. Although waiting for a discount might be preferable. Not sure its worth the full 20 dollars.

mr lurtle

My hopes above came true!

GameStop is offering physical versions for Xbone/PS4 on Oct. 18th for $20:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/duke-nukem-3d-20th-anniversary-world-tour-only-at-gamestop/136495

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/ga...nniversary-world-tour-only-at-gamestop/136496

Not sure if it warrants its own thread for new news or not, but usually GameStop exclusive stuff becomes pricey in the future.

I need this! Does anyone know if gamestop.com ships to europe (germany in my case) or if the game gets a physical release over here too?

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't understand. What's going on?

3D wiith the updated graphics was said by gearbox to use a new engine for the game.....instead they just used EDuke32 and modified it......meaning its litterally a watered down version of eduke32 in itself and gearbox didn't do much work on this at all.

However one of the lead EDuke32 dev's have said its not based off their code at all.........someone needs to dig deeper

Clint from LGR has his hands on the game and did a full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zhEVoopp4g

I am a bit disappointed that Gearbox changed the original .GRP container format that the original Build Engine used. That means that the levels and new content can't easily be pulled into other engines like EDuke32 or used as a mod i the original DO game (though some of the new Engine updates and map sizes may prevent that from happening, anyway).

Found a pretty good review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOAm48t9wdo

Another good review too. The red crosses being used on health containers had to be changed because it is a trademarked image. The Canadian Red Cross has been going after game developers for using this symbol for years now. They did the same thing with Id Software's Doom and 1 and 2, as well as Wolfenstein 3D.

Also, I agree that it is disappointing that Gearbox didn't include all of the other expansions, like Megaton Edition did.

Seik

Banned
My hopes above came true!

GameStop is offering physical versions for Xbone/PS4 on Oct. 18th for $20:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/duke-nukem-3d-20th-anniversary-world-tour-only-at-gamestop/136495

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/ga...nniversary-world-tour-only-at-gamestop/136496

Not sure if it warrants its own thread for new news or not, but usually GameStop exclusive stuff becomes pricey in the future.

Happy birthday Seik!! Straight on my birthday! That's nice! ^^

They used eduke, a popular and constantly updated mod/engine/enabler for other mods, for Duke 3D.

hahaha

This is just comedy at this point. Deserves its own thread.

It really doesn't.

Check out some of the last comments on the page.

The names file being proof of what, exactly? Lead EDuke32 dev have clearly said its not based on their code. The names.h file is just a list of named tiles for the map editor.

Yeesh, guys. Way to vilify without being aware of all the facts... We should be better than this.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/434050/discussions/0/348292787747580532/

Any plans for an OT?

And multiplayer on XboxOne/PS4... Is it just online through XBL/PSN, or is there LAN support like the Handsome Collection? (asking because Gearbox)

It really doesn't.

Check out some of the last comments on the page.

Yeesh, guys. Way to vilify without being aware of all the facts... We should be better than this.

Another comment:

The Eduke developers did openly say they were contacted about this version and they provided 'help'. Do note than Megaton edition was also an eduke fork so its not new.

So, what is it?

Edit: btw, those 'discussions' on Steam really are the worst. Everyone telling why you shouldn't buy the game and who does is 'pithetic'. A reminder to never go in the discussions again.

JP

Played a couple of levels on the PS4 version and I'm pleased with it so far.

I know that it should really have all been included at launch but I assume that there's going to release DLC at some point? Has there been any mention of that so far?

Do anyone knows if we can we still buy the megaton edition?

You can't, it was removed from all digital services. The only way you can still attain a key for the Steam version is through the grey market like G2A or even Ebay. Purchase at your own risk.

And I gave in and purchased the Steam Edition of 20th Anniversary World Tour. Why not? I already own every other version of Duke Nukem 3D, anyway.

So far... it is solid enough. The port isn't that different from EDuke32 and has less features/ options to tinker around with. Really funny seeing an option for Ambient occlusion in such an old game. The majority of the textures also have low resolution normal maps applied to them, which add a nice touch too. The game plays smooth enough with the polygon renderer, and you can switch between the classic renderer on the fly at any time.

Also gamepad support is pretty well implemented here too. It is still not perfect, but playable. The aiming still feels a bit clunky, but what can you really do? This is an engine port of a 20 year old game that was originally designed primarily for a keyboard and mouse. And that is still the best way to play it. But the gamepad support is still solid enough.

Also this version of Duke Nukem 3D brings in the rewind feature from the Xbox 360 port. This is pretty nice as well. Something that Megaton Edition was going to add to their port, but it never made it in.

New voice acting from Jon St. John is alright, though lacks some of the punch of the original Duke 3D renditions. Though I noticed a few weird omissions like "Damn, that is one Doomed Space Marine".

The new episode is really nice. Great to see some of the original level designers come back for this. Some of these new levels take full advantage of the Build engine and there is some nice new texture work in them too. The new enemy, the firefly could be a little better, but I am not complaining. Lee Jackson's new music tracks are also welcome as well.

I love that a game like this can be revisited 20 years later with new content that was created by the original level designers.

It is a shame though that it is missing all of the expansions from the Megaton Edition (Life's a Back, Duke it Out in DC, and Nuclear Winter in particular). But this is still a pretty good attempt from Gear Box.

But I agree with Clint from LGR that it does not feel like the definitive version.

Pre ordered the physical version. I'm starting to collect console games again. Last gen I tried to go all digital. Now I'm going back to collecting. Gamestop employee was shocked that the game was real.

Can you change the FOV?

My head always hurts when I try to play older fps

There isn't an option i the menu's and am not sure if it can be changed through the .cfg files. I will have to look. EDuke32 is the only port that I know of that supports different FOV's.

Top Bottom