• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail creator's new game is Never Stop Sneakin' (Switch)

Mikey Jr.

Huh no switch? didn't you just that make that horizon vs botw thread where you said switch has no games you're interested in and you plan on getting rid of it? ;d

Correct. I literally put an ad after that thread, and have already someone interested. So technically I have a Switch, but for like a day more.

7n81PFN.jpg

I debated what to do with it because I will lose xx amount of hours because I can't save. But decided the game is not for me.

Despera

Banned
Correct. I literally put an ad after that thread, and have already someone interested.

I debated what to do with it because I will lose xx amount of hours because I can't save. But decided the game is not for me.
But Mario Odyssey is just around the corner D:

I personally don’t think it looks ugly at all. I love that classic chunky polygonal, pixelly textured look of the PS1. Plus, I loved Dust and I loved MGS. And for the Switch you say?

Goddamn I AM SO IN. Just give me a release date!

Many thanks. Don't worry, I'll be returning to Dust someday. The first one took me 3 and a half years, and two years worth of support/ports. So I just needed to do something completely different. But trust me, I'm not done with that world.

NSS is a smaller, more experimental. Just what I needed.

This is awesome to hear. I loved Dust and can't wait to see whatever the console horsepower that is out at the time that you can put behind it. I still find Dust beautiful and a wonderful adventure.

Mikey Jr.

But Mario Odyssey is just around the corner D:

For me, Mario is best as a 2d game. 64 was revolutionary, but after that, it never clicked with me.

I played through all of Galaxy, and that it was very good.

But I want Mario 3 back. I want Super Mario World back.

New Mario Bros. was ok, but that art style was bad.

Odyssey looks fun for sure, but it's not really grabbing me. I will 100% play it one day, but down the road. I'm sure the switch will get an upgrade, and maybe Mario will get a GOTY version with possible DLC.

But for now, I kinda just want some money back and pick up the system when there are WAY more games for it.

ANYWAYS, I don't want to derail this thread anymore.
If anyone wants to continue talking, feel free to PM me.

Dust is the only game I want on Xbox BC, this new game sounds alright. I'm not a big MGS fan, so making a game in that style is meh for me. Talented developers though.

Jubenhimer

It's nice to see an indie game try and mimic the low-poly PS1/N64 era for a change. I know people on here like to say that era doesn't hold up, but I'd say low-poly can still look great if you have good art design.

Hexer06

Ehh. As much as I LOVED Dust, I think I'll skip this. Not really my thing. Kinda sad they went this way, but wish the best for them. :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
There are SO MANY COMPLAINTS about things lately. Good grief.

People tire of pixel games. People tire of low budget 3D games. People like an aesthetic, but hate colors. They like they game but hate the U.I. The music is great, but the people making the music are bad. The Music is bad, but the still screens look cool! It looks horrible in stills, but great in motion!

... this kind of thought feels REALLY odd when looking at a game idea as goofy and jubilant as this. It doesn't take itself seriously, it's set in a "dark" world but isn't grimdark, it quickly has that feel of "what kind pf stupid thing would I have made with my friends, if 1 weekend at their house could have produced an entire game?!"

Can't we just enjoy that, gamers? Devs are people too. And most indie works are pretty close to the developers hearts. I think it's pretty awesome to see someone spend time making what they want, and actually get others to support and flesh out their ideas, together.

---

Noggy, what a nice, unexpected reveal. (I just saw you were teasing assets on Twitter a few hours ago, so it was REALLY unexpected!) It's pretty cool to see you can push yourself so far from your established style, and still find some coherence.

I find the look of hand-panted shadows and highlights, and garishly unrealistic colors for things, to feel very retro. Like something out of Hybrid Heaven, Sin and Punishment, or Sega Genesis games like Biohazard Battle. It's a cool aesthetic, and one that's not really used all that often in modern releases, especially 3D ones.

As far as gameplay, I'd love to see a stage run, and hope to see one soon. Bullet hells and running fast does not a sneaker make (which is pretty appropriate to MGS boss battles, I always laughed at that fact), so I feel it'll really click when we see it all together.

If I can ask, what's the time for a stage run in the game? 2 minute snappy action from one set and joke to the next, or like... 10 minute, slower missions, with hallways to relax, and rooms to run rampant in, like a Symphony of the Night?

At any rate, congrats on the new project, and I look forward to seeing more!

... and come to think of it, I hope there are CODEC scenes. There has to be. Right?

This is certainly not what I expected given what he was teasing on twitter!

I don't know how to feel about this. It looks like it could be cool, but I don't know, I always associated Noogy/Humble Hearts as being the master of hand drawn animation. This is very low-poly, PS1-era 3d. The game itself looks interesting! -- but as a followup to Dust, it feels.. I don't know, just not what I expected. I bet it'll be great portable.

I hope this is great. I'm surprised it's so soon. I'm guessing the exceptionally long wait from reveal to release on Dust informed the quick turnaround time here.

Platy

Thanks everyone! I knew the style and aesthetics would be either a hit or miss for a lot of people, but that was also true of Dust. It's been fun to create something totally different though, and I hope those of you who pick it up enjoy it!

Right now it's debuting on Switch, but as proven with Dust I'm not married to any one platform. These things just take time with a core team of one.

Please tell the helicopter is not a reference to the transphobic meme please

PSqueak

Banned

From the delivery of the line doesn't sounds like it, just the sillines that someone named "Vice president Helicopter" is an actual sentient Helicopter.

The whole thing seems to have an "Axe Cop" sensibility to it.

Griss

Seems like a very clever idea. Talk about a 180 from Dust.

Colour me interested, though I'll echo those who say that the visuals are a hit on the 'PS1 parody' scale, but maybe a miss on the 'enjoying a game for 10 hours scale'.

The action parts of the trailer looked very promising though. Definitely on the radar.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Dust is an absolutely gorgeous game and I would like to have seen what could be done by the art team in an upgraded style now we are 5 years on.
All of the artwork, coding, and design was by just one person (Dean Dodrill; music / sfx were by HyperDuck).

It's the same here -- Dean did the art, code, and design; HyperDuck did the audio.

Alex Kain worked with Dean on script for both of these games. (And of course there are the voice actors and director).

Just FYI. Not arguing, just point it out.

I don't... I don't think that would be a reference? You're playing a game where an eccentric old man went back in time to kidnap all the presidents and his chief of medical staff is a vampire. It's for the absurdity or did you forget that one enemy in MGS who was literally a buff man riding a tank.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Metal Gear Solid parody aside, it's the kind of Mr. Shifty turned stealth game I've wanted. I'm happily going to pick this up.

sheaaaa

I love the idea of a MGS homage but this looks like a budget 3DS eShop game visually, and nothing like a higher-def PS1 game. Still, it looks chaotic fun and I'll always have an eye open for anything Noogy.

Platy

From the delivery of the line doesn't sounds like it, just the sillines that someone named "Vice president Helicopter" is an actual sentient Helicopter.

The whole thing seems to have an "Axe Cop" sensibility to it.

I don't... I don't think that would be a reference? You're playing a game where an eccentric old man went back in time to kidnap all the presidents and his chief of medical staff is a vampire. It's for the absurdity or did you forget that one enemy in MGS who was literally a buff man riding a tank.

One of the boss fights in Metal Gear Solid is a Hind D Helicopter. Its likely paying homage to that.

I just want to be sure

Grisby

Neat! It's wearing it's Metal Gear inspirations with pride. Vice President Helicopter is a pretty good villain name if I do say so myself.

Congrats Noogy on the announcement. Was wondering what the creator of Dust was up to.

BTA

I really liked Dust and I'm super into the non-gameplay part of the trailer.

But I'm finding it really hard to mentally process the actual gameplay. Though it'll probably be easier to follow in action and not just rapidfire clips, of course.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
We finally getting that N64/PS1 retro style we've previously talked about wanting on neogaf like 8 months ago

Koyuga

Was interested until the gameplay. I'm tired of dual stick indie shooter type games, or at least that's kind of how this looks?

Jay RaR

IgMyx.gif

Not feeling this game tbh. Aside from the questionable artstyle for Dust, I really enjoyed the gameplay, story, and lore of that game even if it did hit some cliche anime tropes. This...is just a hard pass for me. Not seeing where the sneaking comes in from all the bullet hell segments I've seen in the trailer and graphics even if intentional looks really unappealing. Comedy is pretty clever, but still not enough to keep me interested.

Mechazawa

Is this...supposed to be an actual stealth game? Like, I see vision cones but they don't seem to actually matter and player is doing crazy aoe attacks.

I can't tell what this thing is supposed to be gameplay wise.

I'm pretty sure the actual gameplay is "rapid stealth" - focusing on moving quickly, taking out enemies swiftly and not missing a beat, rather than slow and methodical, with being detected resulting in bullet hell.

I'm not really nostalgic for PS1 visuals, but this is absolutely fucking bonkers and I love it. Can't wait to see how the final game shapes up, Noogy.

IgMyx.gif

Not feeling this game tbh. Aside from the questionable artstyle for Dust, I really enjoyed the gameplay, story, and lore of that game even if it did hit some cliche anime tropes. This...is just a hard pass for me. Not seeing where the sneaking comes in from all the bullet hell segments I've seen in the trailer and graphics even if intentional looks really unappealing. Comedy is pretty clever, but still not enough to keep me interested.

its because Dust is basically Muramasa with furries, i really dont enjoyed Dust as much as i like to just because of the artstyle

Top Bottom