• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

S1kkZ

All review codes should have been handed out. If you haven't got yours and are on my list please email me asap (contact in my twitter profile at @NoogyTweet). Valid press credentials, of course ;)

i was just kidding ;) cant wait to buy it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Wow the maker is posting in this OT.
Im deeply impressed what you got out of XNA on the 360 from the looks of the Launch trailer.
But then again im a newb and big props for learning yourself programming.

Haha yeah shame the public never will see the code and programs used in editors.

Jb

Didn't get a single SoA game this year but that launch trailer got me really excited for this. Dust and Papo y Yo should make for a great week for the downloadable space.

bumpkin

I used C# and XNA. Admittedly XNA helps with basic stuff like drawing sprites and such, but yeah, you still need to get down and dirty with code. It's definitely not like using Gamemaker or some game creation tool.

The hard part that no one ever sees is that I had to create a number of programs... level editor, character editor, dialogue editor, etc. And being visually minded I sort of wanted to make all those look nice too. So yeah, now that I've created tools development should go much faster for future projects.

I guess I'm just good at reusing my code. Creating a particle was very difficult. Tweaking that particle for a hundred different uses was much easier and very fun.
Whether XNA helped with pieces or not, it's still an amazing undertaking that yielded very impressive results. I've been tinkering off and on for about a year now trying to cobble together some sort of game, and I feel like I'm just running into road block after road block. Admittedly, I do feel like a lot of my problems stem from developing a game in C++ on a Mac using SDL. If I want any sort of component (sprite, for example), I need to create the class and implementation from scratch. My background as far as programming is concerned is website development using PHP; been doing that for well over 10 years. PHP is a scripting language though, it's all procedural. Working with objects and "real-time" programming have been very challenging for me. It's tough to wrap my head around some of it, especially in terms of logical structure, inheritance and so on.

At any rate, despite my bitter envy at what you accomplished coming from not coding at all, Dust looks freaking stunning and I've got my MS space bucks ready to plunk down when it's released this week. :)

8JVAXl.jpg

It's all yours Noogy!

Edit: last pic was 1936 x 2592. goddamn. fixed.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Looks sweet, I'll give it a shot. One question, what side does Dust pick in the Falenan civil war and what star is he?

Ocaso

So, to those who've already played it, is it really a Metroidvania? That is to say, is it a game mainly about seeking out powerups and pathfinding, or are those not the emphasized elements?

Edit: hit post too soon. Damn iPhone!

-GJ-

^^ Yes. It's really a Metroidvania. There are new abilities to find on your adventure and you have to backtrack and discover new paths and stuff like that.

96% in and I still love it as much as when I first booted it up. Maybe even more.

Silvawuff

I don't own an Xbox, but I am still buying this game to support you, Noogy. (Seriously.)

Please tell me there's a cameo of a certain mouse in this game.
That starts with B. And ends with "onnie."

^^ Yes. It's really a Metroidvania. There are new abilities to find on your adventure and you have to backtrack and discover new paths and stuff like that.

96% in and I still love it as much as when I first booted it up. Maybe even more.

Ah, that sounds so refreshing! Shadow Complex really scratched that Metroidvania itch, and I've been wanting more since then. Sadly, there have been so few entries in the genre this gen so that piece of info makes me that much more excited.

Noogy

Is there any reason you used some Korean on the cover Noogy?

I'm half Korean, which influenced much of the art and some architecture and clothing.

And to the above question, no decisions on DLC have been made. And to be totally honest, it hasn't even been discussed. I have potential ideas, but it was my intention to deliver the entire experience in one go.

ScOULaris

I'm not a huge fan of the furry character designs, but I'll be damned if this isn't the most beautiful 2D art to grace a game since Rayman: Origins.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it myself unless it eventually comes to PS3 or PC.

-GJ-

Just completed it 100% but I don't have all the collectables yet. Still need 2 secret achievements though. I think one of 'em is
collecting all collectables
and I can't talk about what I think what the other one is without breaking the embargo.

Card Boy

Banned
Just completed it 100% but I don't have all the collectables yet. Still need 2 secret achievements though. I think one of 'em is
collecting all collectables
and I can't talk about what I think what the other one is without breaking the embargo.

How many hours did it take?

-GJ-

How many hours did it take?

A little over 12 hours on the ingame clock, but I kinda rushed through the last chapter (ran from enemies etc) because I wanted to complete the story before I went to bed (it's 4:30 in the morning here now) and I didn't collect a lot of the collectibles yet, so I can easily tie another 1-3 hours to it. I was playing on Normal though. You also have Though and Hardcore difficulties iirc and those are a lot harder.

I'm half Korean, which influenced much of the art and some architecture and clothing.

And to the above question, no decisions on DLC have been made. And to be totally honest, it hasn't even been discussed. I have potential ideas, but it was my intention to deliver the entire experience in one go.
Sounds good to me.

Noogy

A little over 12 hours on the ingame clock, but I kinda rushed through the last chapter (ran from enemies etc) because I wanted to complete the story before I went to bed (it's 4:30 in the morning here now) and I didn't collect a lot of the collectibles yet, so I can easily tie another 1-3 hours to it. I was playing on Normal though. You also have Though and Hardcore difficulties iirc and those are a lot harder.

Shhh...embargo.

Jac_Solar

Yeah, early 2009. This game was me teaching myself how to code. I didn't really expect it to get this big.

That is indeed amazing. Do you have a background in arts, design and/or other "tech" related professions? I don't mean to nag, but it seems like you're just a bit busy and missed my first post.

Noogy

That is indeed amazing. Do you have a background in arts, design and/or other "tech" related professions? I don't mean to nag, but it seems like you're just a bit busy and missed my first post.

I'm a self trained animator and illustrator, though most of my career has consisted of illustration. I mostly study tradional illustrators and pre-80s animators. I'm also a 'decent' modeler/3D animator, but most of that work was for film, not games.

I'm pretty old fashioned with my techniques, I prefer conte on paper than using a Wacom. Dust himself was animated the tradional way.. animated with pencil on stacks of paper, inked, then scanned into digital form. I find tradional animation to be very pure, it allows the character of the animator to show through, mistakes and all.

aku:jiki

I can barely even afford food until my paycheck arrives in 2 weeks but I'm still going to buy the fuck out of this game. It'll be my nourishment, my body is ready for it!

Feep

Banned
Man, this game has a ton of content. I could type up a review tonight, but I'm only 47% complete, and I'd rather post the review on Tuesday/Wednesday than give an incomplete review.

Sorry, Noogy. They've got me on Last Story, too. = (

Noogy

Man, this game has a ton of content. I could type up a review tonight, but I'm only 47% complete, and I'd rather post the review on Tuesday/Wednesday than give an incomplete review.

Sorry, Noogy. They've got me on Last Story, too. = (

Hah, what, you mean you need more than 4 hours to review a massive JRPG? You're starting to disappoint me, Feep ;) No problem, take your time!

Hah, what, you mean you need more than 4 hours to review a massive JRPG? You're starting to disappoint me, Feep ;) No problem, take your time!

Any plans for a theme? If any game needs one is this game. I just bought the gamerpics but I think a theme would be nice.

Noogy

Any plans for a theme? If any game needs one is this game. I just bought the gamerpics but I think a theme would be nice.

Plans for one yes, sadly not going to make launch (and can't guarantee it'll happen). Finishing the game, marketing and trailer definitely took priority.

This is seriously the most impressive looking game I've seen in a while.

How -

why -

How Why does everything look so goddamn perfect?

Honestly i am going to play this game on the hardest setting, love a challenge, hopefully you get rewarded well for searching every spec of the map as opposed to rushing through it.

Top Bottom