• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

Galdelico

I'm a self trained animator and illustrator, though most of my career has consisted of illustration. I mostly study tradional illustrators and pre-80s animators. I'm also a 'decent' modeler/3D animator, but most of that work was for film, not games.

I'm pretty old fashioned with my techniques, I prefer conte on paper than using a Wacom. Dust himself was animated the tradional way.. animated with pencil on stacks of paper, inked, then scanned into digital form. I find tradional animation to be very pure, it allows the character of the animator to show through, mistakes and all.
That's absolutely fascinating, striking me on so many levels... Even if at a very 'personal passion' level (it's not my job) I'm also a self-trained illustrator still profoundly bound to traditional art and tools... I started drawing in the early 80's and I feel like I absorbed them in terms of mood and vision, and this must be one of the many reasons why I look at Dust and feel so delighted and satsified.

A REMINDER ON REVIEWS AND SPOILERS

A lot of reviews are going to contain Dust: AET spoilers. These aren't things like plot, but instead are things that you REALLY don't want to be spoiled. Things that you'll love a thousand times more if you haven't had them ruined for you.

When posting, please use spoiler tags accordingly. It's obviously not going remain unspoiled forever, but the longer we can keep this thread spoiler-free, the more people will get to go into the game fresh.

I'm going to post reviews here as I find them, I will only link to reviews that are safe to read, and will just post the scores of the ones that aren't. If you want to ensure that your Dust: AET experience is as good as it can possibly be on Wednesday, then just read the reviews I link to - if you're not bothered by spoilers, just bear in mind that some people are, and so be careful with what you post!

A good rule of thumb would be that if you read something that makes you go "I didn't know that," then spoiler tag it!

And with that, hot off the presses comes The Indie Game Magazine, who give Dust: AET an embargo-breaking 90%!

This review is NOT safe, it contains spoilers.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sort of considering turning in BF3 or ME3 for this since I don't play either of them...

I have a soft spot for Metroidvanias. Hope the game is at least as lengthy as Shadow Complex.

-PXG-

You guys will shit yourselves when you actually play it. You'll be convinced that there was no way one man made this game.

The PAX demo was easily one of the best at the entire show and did a great job at showing what the game had to offer. Plus, it was just drop dead gorgeous and incredibly smooth. Even HD videos don't do this game justice. You really do have to play it yourself.

I still can't believe that the full game is almost here.

AHA-Lambda

And with that, hot off the presses comes The Indie Game Magazine, who give Dust: AET an embargo-breaking 90%!

This review is NOT safe, it contains spoilers.

You guys will shit yourselves when you actually play it. You'll be convinced that there was no way one man made this game.

The PAX demo was easily one of the best at the entire show and did a great job at showing what the game had to offer. Plus, it was just drop dead gorgeous and incredibly smooth. Even HD videos don't do this game justice. You really do have to play it yourself.

I still can't believe that the full game is almost here.

Christ, I'm getting excited now :D

Well Noogy I just watched the 60fps trailer and you are truly a gifted person. It looks and feels so good that it's unreal already! I seriously can't wait for Wednesday and I'm serious if I say I'm happy I didn't sell my 360 which I wanted because I haven't used it in 3 years but Dust alone makes it worth to have one and I have no problem saying that while I haven't even played it yet.

Vanillaware started my love for these types of games with Odin Sphere and Muramasa, you added to it amazingly! :D

i hate furry with all my might but i will still buy the game because

2d art
60 fps
truly beautiful animation

and you began to code only in 2009 and you are a self-trained animator ? i have respect for you man.

Tomat

So we all know the game looks good and apparently plays pretty well but I have to ask: what kind of RPG elements and equipment are we dealing with here? Is it simple stat allocation (str,dex,int)? Are we stuck using the sword? Will there be equipment like in Bastion where there isn't a large amount of items but they all feel different or can we expect something like Symphony of the Night where there is a large amount of items?

A REMINDER ON REVIEWS AND SPOILERS

A lot of reviews are going to contain Dust: AET spoilers. These aren't things like plot, but instead are things that you REALLY don't want to be spoiled. Things that you'll love a thousand times more if you haven't had them ruined for you.

When posting, please use spoiler tags accordingly. It's obviously not going remain unspoiled forever, but the longer we can keep this thread spoiler-free, the more people will get to go into the game fresh.

I'm going to post reviews here as I find them, I will only link to reviews that are safe to read, and will just post the scores of the ones that aren't. If you want to ensure that your Dust: AET experience is as good as it can possibly be on Wednesday, then just read the reviews I link to - if you're not bothered by spoilers, just bear in mind that some people are, and so be careful with what you post!

A good rule of thumb would be that if you read something that makes you go "I didn't know that," then spoiler tag it!
<3, thank you.

Tomat

Please explain how they are not the same? I would love to hear your silly logic behind it.
Just drop it or take it to the PMs. We already went through this stuff in the thread.

Also really need someone to respond to my post above! It directly influences whether I purchase Dust or not.

Tomat

Who are you?

This is covered in the OP and has been answered in the topic as well.
A concerned citizen, and not quite. The OP states you can level up skills, but te only mention of stats is a large amount of HP. As for the items, it says there is a crafting system with a lot of materials, but no mention of the amount of items you can create.

A concerned citizen, and not quite. The OP states you can level up skills, but te only mention of stats is a large amount of HP. As for the items, it says there is a crafting system with a lot of materials, but no mention of the amount of items you can create.

A concerned citizen you say? hmmmm

I'm assuming you'll be able to create quite a few items especially considering how long the game seems to be. I think its a game that should be bought regardless. Even if it was a straight up platformer or had a stat building system like Guardian Heroes, I would have still bought it. Games like this are really rare and don't come very often nowadays.

Ledsen

God I'm so torn between buying this and waiting for a PC announcement... the "please don't ask" thing just reeks of timed exclusivity and eventual PC port... what to do GAF :(

God I'm so torn between buying this and waiting for a PC announcement... the "please don't ask" thing just reeks of timed exclusivity and eventual PC port... what to do GAF :(

Do you want to be the only person not playing this on Wednesday? =P

More embargo-breaking review fun, this time from Destructoid. Jim Sterling gives it an 8.5 in a review in which he demonstrates how bad he is at games. How do I do inventory?! It's slightly better for spoilers but they're still there, so personally I'd avoid this one too.

I thought it was confirmed this was an XBLA exclusive. Being published by Microsoft and all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So we all know the game looks good and apparently plays pretty well but I have to ask: what kind of RPG elements and equipment are we dealing with here? Is it simple stat allocation (str,dex,int)? Are we stuck using the sword? Will there be equipment like in Bastion where there isn't a large amount of items but they all feel different or can we expect something like Symphony of the Night where there is a large amount of items?
I'll speak what I played at PAX.
You can upgrade your sword or fidget (ranged orbs)
HP and I think defense?

Ledsen

I thought it was confirmed this was an XBLA exclusive. Being published by Microsoft and all.

Well so was Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet... until it came out on PC.

edit: oh yeah and Limbo, and Braid... yeah now that I think about it, this is getting a PC port without a doubt. To wait or not to wait...

Buy now, double-dip if released on pc.

I just might... don't really use my 360 anymore though and kinda hoped to retire it! Oh well :(

So was Limbo until it turned up on PSN and Steam for PC and Mac.

There are literally no plans for any release outside XBLA right now, that's from the developer of the game himself.

If you want to wait for a PC release, fair enough, but it might never come. If you ask whether there's a chance it'll come to the PC then the answer's "yes," but you'd get the same answer if you ask whether there's a chance Elvis is living on an island just off Hawaii. There's always a "chance," but whether you wait for it in the hope that it happens is something only you can decide. Any conjecture at this point is worthless.

Being "published" by Microsoft can mean a lot of different things. Generally it's giving up some sort of exclusivity, weither it's timed, exclusive content, "no PSN", or full on exclusivity.

In return they don't have to go find a publisher to be the pointless middleman in XBLA's archaic way of publishing games.

HyperDuck

Neo Member
Considering Bastion (which I think is awesome) was given 6.5 by Destructoid, I think that's pretty awesome!

EDIT: Heck that's 0.5 less than FEZ! Which I haven't played yet (neck deep in Dust for 4 years makes you loses out on a few experiences), but that's pretty kickass!

I'm quite excited for this, I've been waiting such a long time for it. Good to see the developer interacting in this thread, many people appreciate that.

Tomat

Considering Bastion (which I think is awesome) was given 6.5 by Destructoid, I think that's pretty awesome!

The thing with that is, a score below 7 becomes and ironic attention-getter, which is also a good thing.

Basically you want anything below a 7, or a 9. Otherwise, your game is just mediocre.

There are literally no plans for any release outside XBLA right now, that's from the developer of the game himself.

If you want to wait for a PC release, fair enough, but it might never come. If you ask whether there's a chance it'll come to the PC then the answer's "yes," but you'd get the same answer if you ask whether there's a chance Elvis is living on an island just off Hawaii. There's always a "chance," but whether you wait for it in the hope that it happens is something only you can decide. Any conjecture at this point is worthless.

Yeah, this is what I heard a few days ago.

Tomat

My mind is blown. Scoring has changed since I last looked! I'm pretty happy about it all the same though! Yay!

There is also a slight possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom