• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: Enhanced Edition announced

DarkFlame

Banned
Okay, I'll give it to you straight: characters range from bland to cartoonish and corny. The story is fucking stupid. The tone, like the characters, is inconsistent, and can leap between melodramaic and ham-fistedly comedic. All main characters and their motivations are dumb as fuck. This is tepid videogame shit through and through.

That said, the environment and core mechanics elevate it above those negatives. The ambiance of the environment is something else. I can only describe it as thick, almost soupy with all the post-processing and particles. It paints a convincing picture, and at times this shit is survival horror-level engaging. Especially when you're out there alone and get some distance from the main plot characters talking in your ear. Another strong aspect of the game would be side missions. A lot of care went into these and they're atypical for what you'd expect of an open world game. Much better than the efforts of Ubisoft or Bethesda. More comparable to Witcher 3 side quests. You still have that uneven tone and corny characterization, but the actual quests make up for it.

This game excels in situations, what it lacks in story.

Also, I recommend this as a SP game. People will talk up the co-op, but that fun will come at the cost of tension, and the experience of isolation and oppressive ambiance that is quite unique to this game. You just don't have that tension when you're racing to the next map-marker with a buddy. You also get a pretty strong illusion break seeing player-character animation from third person. It's poor. A shame since the animation is very convincing in fpv.

Also, the combat is good, and varied. Best of its type, imo.

Dying Light is worth playing.

Got it.Hopefully the Enhanced Edition will adress some of the above issues to reduce the frustration,while keep or improve its strong points.

If it's worth playing now,i guess it's certainly worth waiting a couple of months for the improved experience of the enhanced version

cripterion

Would be nice if they introduced other player models for co-op. I mean it wouldn't be hard to use the models for other characters they have ingame. So they could have some female characters as well.

I always thought it was a bit odd to have the same character model for all 4 players even with various outfits.

Warablo

So I think the only things I am missing are the collectibles, explosive arrows blueprint, Korek V2 blueprint, and the two outfits for beating it on hard mode. I am most likely missing some lower tier blueprints as-well.

I think I might wait to NG+ Hard or Nightmare my game for the legendary levels release.

Feel free to add me XBL: Warablo

Is the story and characters as bland as they say? Everyone praises gameplay and fun,but it didn't exactly rock the world with critics for some reason

Will think about buying the enhanced edition tho..

Well, the story is nothing special, but the writing is actually not that bad if that makes sense. Like, moment to moment, you will be entertained by some of the encounters and the side quests specifically. The voice acting is alright and some of the dialogue was actually pretty funny. Keep your expectations low and it'll be fine. It's not what you should come to dying light for anyway because the gameplay is where it's at with this.

SomTervo

Is the story and characters as bland as they say? Everyone praises gameplay and fun,but it didn't exactly rock the world with critics for some reason

Will think about buying the enhanced edition tho..

The story isn't as bad as the other guy said.

There are only two or three great characters (out of a set of 8 or so, the rest of whom are agonisingly bland) and those two or three are very well written.

Until the last act. Act 1 and 2 are actually really enjoyable and pretty compelling, but the last leg of the story totally shits the bed and it ends terribly. The one best character in the game who is one of the best characters of 2015 gets awful, awful treatment out of the blue.

From a gameplay standpoint? The whole thing is fucking gold.

Planet

The ending was IMHO gameplay-wise brilliant as well.
Loved the parcour, even though the party was seperated to 3 individual instances, we chatted about our progress. I can understand the dislike for the QTE part though, didn't bother me that much.

The story was not that bad, didn't diminish the game for me. I see it primarily as a coop game where I do not put so much weight on story.

I have a friend or two I'd like to help progress through the story. But the prospect of legendary Levels put that on Ice until February, seems to become much more rewarding. :)

Dahaka

Does anyone experience an imbalanced audio mix where actions of coop players are louder than NPCs? Like firing guns for instance. Whenever someone shoots the gun sound is through the roof. Doesn't happen when NPCs fire.

Top Bottom