• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Review Thread

Why. Why. Why. Why? First of, you haven't finished it as you said. There is something to be said about the fact that awesome mechanics don't necessarily carry a game. Case in point: DA:I or Alien: Isolation. For some it does, but since you are so heavily focused on saying that a game shouldn't be much worse than what you personally experienced in a very limited amount of time, this is more than worth mentioning.

And... giving a whole site less credit, because one of their employees rated a game you liked slightly worse, was, is and forever will be stupid. Simple as that.

I was VERY excited about this game, as I liked Dead Island more than most. I also liked what I played at E3 quite a bit.

It's a good game, and I'm liking it more as I progress. However, I'm not blown away. It's just not as fun as I'd expected.

At the start (up to about 8 hours of play or a bit more), I was thinking 6/10 which is a C to me because I'm Canadian. But, now I'm thinking a 7 or a low B.

It looks worse than Far Cry 4. Chrome Engine has never really been a looker. Textures are pretty hit and miss. The setting itself is kinda bland. Foliage isn't that great, but to give you the feeling like it blows in the wind, it's CONSTANTLY bouncing around unnaturally. It looks kinda strange when you stop to look at it.

It's not a bad looking game though. Just not great.

Far Cry 4 looks better and has a more interesting art style, plus location. It's more colourful to boot.

This game looks good, but it has some issues. Graphics aren't a huge deal to me, though. Still, when I walk in a field and the grass is flowing with the wind, it seems to bog down.

I've been spending loads of time in the OT and about 80% of the users in there seem to think it's a great, borderline excellent game. 8/10 material, minimum. Most of us are really baffled by this. Occasionally someone pops up saying they don't enjoy it for whatever reason or prefer Dead Island, and that's fair enough. But the critics seem a bit off. I can't imagine any universe where this is a 7/10 game (7/10 is still a good score but this game is better than that.) It's not perfect, and it's clunky in several ways, but the sheer scale of fun on offer is better than most other new-gen games I can think of
This could be said of pretty much every OT for a game on GAF though. An OT is typically where people who are enjoying the game go to converse about it and get people to play with. Those threads are always skewed towards the positive. If someone has a big enough problem with a game they usually make their own thread.

Many games can be 100%ed in 30 hours or less. The reviewer could have put in two 12 hour days.

True, but I remember an article PA wrote back in the day about how a lot of people complained about AC1 being repetitive in reviews, but that he, (Gabe), didn't find he had the same issues because he played it in chunks over time, and not all at once with a deadline looming over him.

I feel like any review forced out in a small amount of time is going to suffer one way or the other. Either due to lack of time to really look at the game in retrospect, or not having enough time to actually enjoy the game at what could be considered a more normal pace.

(I wanted to say "the pace the developer might have intended", but I feel like that's a can of worms that shouldn't be opened here.)

True, but I remember an article PA wrote back in the day about how a lot of people complained about AC1 being repetitive in reviews, but that he, (Gabe), didn't find he had the same issues because he played it in chunks over time, and not all at once with a deadline looming over him.

I feel like any review forced out in a small amount of time is going to suffer one way or the other. Either due to lack of time to really look at the game in retrospect, or not having enough time to actually enjoy the game at what could be considered a more normal pace.

(I wanted to say "the pace the developer might have intended", but I feel like that's a can of worms that shouldn't be opened here.)

I find this true for any form of entertaniment media. If you force yourself to marathon anything, it becomes tedios. I once watched like 2 seasons of Family Guy over a 2 day weekend and by the time I got to the end. The humor was just not funny in the slightest and I had to give it a break before coming back.

This could be said of pretty much every OT for a game on GAF though. An OT is typically where people who are enjoying the game go to converse about it and get people to play with. Those threads are always skewed towards the positive. If someone has a big enough problem with a game they usually make their own thread.

No kidding. I spent a lot of time in the Dragon Age Inqusition OT and I got the impression that people here actually liked the game. Then I started seeing a new "this is why Dragon Age Inquisition is the worst game I've ever played" thread created EVERY WEEK.

This is one of those games where the positive reviews are balanced and the negative reviews are nasty.

5/10? No way. This game isn't broken or far from it. The fact that LittleBigPlanet3 can ship broken and score higher is a travesty.

If you take out the 5 lowest and the 5 highest reviews, you'd have a more accurate Metacritic score (somewhere close to 80 I believe). This game should score no lower than a 7 and no higher than a 9. It's a solid 7.8 for me, which is pretty damn good for a new IP.

If I was to score this from what I have played (between 10-15 hours) I'd give it 6/10. It really feels like an Ubisoft game, with pretty terrible characters and unsatisfying combat. The traversal is okay, not really as fleshed out as I'd have hoped but the atmosphere is good, as is the difficulty. Average in most things, good in one or two others.

If I was to score this from what I have played (between 10-15 hours) I'd give it 6/10. It really feels like an Ubisoft game, with pretty terrible characters and unsatisfying combat. The traversal is okay, not really as fleshed out as I'd have hoped but the atmosphere is good, as is the difficulty. Average in most things, good in one or two others.

This is missing half the point of the game: the atmosphere.

The IGN review nails it. No, there's nothing particularly new or special about the combat, traversal or characters. But the feeling of running from a horde of zombies in the dark, looking back over your shoulder to see a motley gang of eaters on your trail, jumping over cars and sliding under fences with 8 health left to make it back to the safe house just as the sun is coming up and getting that message letting you know you survived . . . it just feels great and much closer to being immersed in a world like I am Legend than any other zombie game I've played.

This is missing half the point of the game: the atmosphere.

The IGN review nails it. No, there's nothing particularly new or special about the combat, traversal or characters. But the feeling of running from a horde of zombies in the dark, looking back over your shoulder to see a motley gang of eaters on your trail, jumping over cars and sliding under fences with 8 health left to make it back to the safe house just as the sun is coming up and getting that message letting you know you survived . . . it just feels great and much closer to being immersed in a world like I am Legend than any other zombie game I've played.

Trust me, if it wasn't for the atmosphere I wouldn't be giving it a 6. The atmosphere is the most important aspect for me with zombie based media, it just can't make up for the downsides in this instance. The early days of the DayZ mod were some of the most tense, atmospheric experiences I have had with a zombie game, but because of how familiar this games structure is, coupled with the bad characters it really does it a disservice in my opinion.

This is one of those games where the positive reviews are balanced and the negative reviews are nasty.

5/10? No way. This game isn't broken or far from it. The fact that LittleBigPlanet3 can ship broken and score higher is a travesty.

If you take out the 5 lowest and the 5 highest reviews, you'd have a more accurate Metacritic score (somewhere close to 80 I believe). This game should score no lower than a 7 and no higher than a 9. It's a solid 7.8 for me, which is pretty damn good for a new IP.

LittleBigPlanet 3 was a travesty in general.

Danielsan

I'm kind of baffled how you could only find the traversal okay. Last night I got the vault perk and messed around with the
grappling hook
during one of the challenges and it completely changes the way you traverse the game. The traversal in this game is amazing to me.

SomTervo

I've binged on plenty of actions games and not got bored, if the game has flaws that become apparent during extended sessions that's not the fault of the user.

That's not really what I was saying. I was saying that if you have to binge the game to rush out a review you will get more frustrated at any problems no matter how small (experienced this myself in reviewing) because you're on a tight deadline. Whenever you come up against an obstacle/error, you need to push past it to get on with your review. Which can be so, so annoying. You're just trying to finish the game and get your thoughts out, any barriers can be annoying - emotional ones (eg Polygon's 7/10 for TLoU) or difficulty ones (eg any lower score for a Souls game). I think a lot of similar games which always have good lead times (eg GTA or Far Cry) will have similar problems – but those games' problems wont be exacerbated by a crazy 'asap' deadline.

It's entirely on Techland that this is the situation, if I'm anywhere near right in thinking it might have contributed to the poorer reviews.

Also I've personally had plenty of games ruined by binging them too much. Eg Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Shadow of Mordor. You'll still get a lot of hours in, but you'll just be going through the motions by the end. And the hype will begin to drain by hour 5... Be totally gone by hour 8... Etc. This will obviously vary from person to person, might not be your experience at all. I've seen it happen with Twitchers who are loving a game at the start of a whole day's streaming when they begin, but by late in the afternoon they are doing little aside from complain.

Same thing is happening in the Destiny OT. ;)

Haha, yes I'm realising this now. Of course an OT will be mostly people excited with a few cynics thrown in. Ignore this 'thread' of my argument.

I can actually picture myself constantly meeting people IRL who aren't fans of DL in coming years, or didn't care for it, with me going 'man, it's one of my favourite games ever'.

Outside of the OT opinions have seemed mixed to me, but I've not been paying 100% attention. Is the concensus in other threads echoing the OT?

I'm interested, but I also remember how I loved DI for about 2-3 hours then never played it again... £45 is a lot to drop on a game I may not finish.

I've been seeing the same mix as in here - mainly people liking it with a few people not sold entirely. Maybe confirmation bias on my part though.

I really didn't like DI very much at all. Tried it once and quit after 90 minutes. Came back to it when it was free on XBL GWG, and for free it was... kinda good? Quite immersive but so much clunk and jank and unbearable writing.

Dying Light is bloody great, though. Co-oped for the first time tonight with a bud. Discovered so many little things I didn't know you could do. Was amazing.

moai

but driveclub and destiny OT were full of criticism during its early weeks. of course as time passes only the people that liked the game keep posting.

game has been broken since day 1 for me. Can't play co-op without it crashing, with that said, it hasn't kept me from enjoying it by myself but I feel left out when my friends are palying together with no issue

Top Bottom