• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Review Thread

bosseye

Couldn't give two hoots for reviews. I certainly enjoy reading them, and they're a good way to tip me onto games I may not have heard about - but I certainly never base any purchasing decisions off them. Some of my favourite games have been critically panned. Some of my least favourite have been critical darlings.

I'll read lots of reviews for Dying Light, stroke my massive ginger beard and go 'Hmmmmm', but the various footage I've seen over the last year or so already tells me its a game I will no doubt enjoy so I care not a jot what any 'professional' reviewer thinks. I shall make up my own mind in the next few weeks.

Its pretty clear some people are reading these reviews to confirm their preconceptions, not to really see whether the game is for them or not.

Their minds were basically already made up, they just enjoy when they have a quote from somebody else they can point at and feel justified.
That's pretty much what reviews are for, for probably at least half of the readers.

Me personally, I like reading reviews after I've finished the game and seeing how the writer's experience compared with mine or if he/she had any insights or observations I may have missed. It also saves me from spoilers.

Regardless of reviews, I feel that this game starts out strong. The prologue is pretty well balanced given how weak you are.
Yeah to be honest at first I was pretty scared of zombies and went to great pains to avoid them. Now I'm getting used to combat so I'm mixing it up a bit more with them.

Couldn't give two hoots for reviews. I certainly enjoy reading them, and they're a good way to tip me onto games I may not have heard about - but I certainly never base any purchasing decisions off them. Some of my favourite games have been critically panned. Some of my least favourite have been critical darlings.

I'll read lots of reviews for Dying Light, stroke my massive ginger beard and go 'Hmmmmm', but the various footage I've seen over the last year or so already tells me its a game I will no doubt enjoy so I care not a jot what any 'professional' reviewer thinks. I shall make up my own mind in the next few weeks.

This is curious to me. Are you really against acknowledging the possibility that some people out there might be better suited or able to discuss and share their opinions?

Frankly, what you're arguing against is not the critic itself, but your ability to enjoy games. There's no need to discuss critics at all since you said it best for yourself: you'll make up your own mind.

But don't try to disparage critics simply because that's your take. Good critics are valuable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The sentence with the part coloured in red. The part underlined before it also, if I'm honest.

Its not a fact.

And how does this kind of information influence whether you buy a game or not? If a game is good, then its good. A publisher's involvement (regardless of whether its for better or worse) influence your decision on whether or not to buy a game. If you do this you are basing a decision on politics rather than whether a product is good or not (or even, whether that product is actually aligned to your tastes).

The things he's mentioning shave no place in a review. He should review a product for what it is, not for "what it could have been" or what he "wishes it was".

Its not "information". Its speculation. Information needs to be based on fact.

I think he's wrong. Yes, it does imitate lots of different stuff. Absolutely. But y'know what? It takes all of these disparate elements and blends them into a game that, over the past five hours of gameplay, has been one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a good, long while. There's neat environmental storytelling at play here. Some of the SQs are way beyond what you'd see in other peoples' games. There are towers you can climb, but for different reasons than Far Cry 4 (one is actually an abandoned base, another is for a mission).

There is literally nothing wrong with using elements from other games. It's all in the implementation, and Techland has implemented this stuff WELL.

Ok, I need to make some clarifications regarding my evaluation of JS's review. The "fact" here isn't referring to the highlighted red part but the overall "criticisms" if the bolder and underlined statements of the review. That said, I have very specific concerns that can hinder a potential purchase of the game and JS pointed out all of them, the "fact" to justify earlier concerns of the game.

This of course is my own personal taste to how I consume the game. If I find such elements being highlighted that leads to dissuade me then you can't really use that as justification to invalidate the review. Some people just don't like elements that would appear to be positive to other gamers. This is the part that behooves me as if somehow subjective tastes can be forcefully imbued to other players.

KageMaru

You did read the full review right?

Yup. He made some legit points, some inconsistent points, and some exaggerated points I don't agree with. The tone of much of the review, to me, was still "why can't this be what I played 2 years ago" even though many of those elements described are still in the game.

Jim Sterling review.

How the fuck did he finished the game so quick AND wrote a review ?

Edit:

How can anyone take this dudes review seriously if he didn't even finish the game? I wonder how many other games he has reviewed and didn't bother finishing.

Especially with this game as you level you get more abilities. I'm over 12 hours in and have maybe half the agility tree filled in. I have so much more of the game to experience.

bosseye

This is curious to me. Are you really against acknowledging the possibility that some people out there might be better suited or able to discuss and share their opinions?

Frankly, what you're arguing against is not the critic itself, but your ability to enjoy games. There's no need to discuss critics at all since you said it best for yourself: you'll make up your own mind.

But don't try to disparage critics simply because that's your take. Good critics are valuable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I'm not disparaging critics, per se, they play a valuable role for some; but more of a peripheral role for me. As I say, I enjoy reading reviews, I enjoy reading what professional critics think whether thats games, films, books, cars, whatever. I can enjoy their thoughts for what they are. What I'm saying is that this does not then feed into my personal decision to buy/not buy a game for example and frankly, I don't believe anyone should take the opinion of others as a reason to avoid something they believe may bring them joy.

Certainly some individuals are better suited or able to provide an objective viewpoint of a game, but ultimately, a review is an opinion from someone who will have their own agendas, preference, history, bias, likes and dislikes, foibles, etc etc, all feeding into their experience of the game. Thus, its a fact that their perception of the game is fundamentally flawed when compared with how I may experience it; so their opinions whilst perhaps informative and interesting and cleverly, intelligently written will always come from within a framework of their life which can never mirror my own projections and experiences which would twist the experience of the game to my own personality.

As an example, the Resident Evil Remake on PS4. The reviews are mixed, some love it, ostensibly for the same reasons I love it, others dislike or hate it. But that game is fundamentally a part of my gaming history, almost every location and encounter is engraved into my memory, its more than just familiarity when I play it, its a ton of sensations and emotions all linked with my own personal experiences of playing it. No matter how much someone may love that game and laud it for the reasons I laud it, the way its ingrained in my gaming memories is entirely personal which twists my perception of the experience giving weight to certain areas where others may never experience it and vice versa. The Itchy Tasty note still sends pleasurable chills down my spine when I read it today. Some of the music reminds me of past times and makes me sad.

If I reviewed the Resi Remake I would be entirely biased and blind to its more (theoretically) obvious 'faults' as I'm so utterly in love with what the experience means for me. Perhaps professional reviewers can put these emotions to one side and, like automatons, deal only with the practical, but in many ways I don't believe they can, I believe their reviews will always be coloured by their personal framework of life, love, loss, disappointment, excitement, whatever, and so their opinion whilst interesting of course, and a valuable tool for some, should never become a defining factor in what you also choose to experience.

How can anyone take this dudes review seriously if he didn't even finish the game? I wonder how many other games he has reviewed and didn't bother finishing.

Especially with this game as you level you get more abilities. I'm over 12 hours in and have maybe half the agility tree filled in. I have so much more of the game to experience.

It's not that he didn't even finish the game that should bother people persay. It's that he tells us he didn't beat it, he implies he is upset at them for getting the game late (walking into a review already unhappy), and third that he pushed through it in two days of play, forcing himself to rush through something he already had issues with.

If length is your bag, then at least there’s a lot of chew through with Dying Light. After spending literally all day, for two days, with the game, I must confess I’m not at the end and I don’t know when it’s coming (and if you’ve an issue with that, have a word with Warner Bros. about withholding review copies until it was too late to produce a launch day write-up).

It's his review of course, but the fact that his internet statues makes people flock to his thoughts to determine if they should purchase it when he played the game in this state of mind, that just seems a bit silly. I'd say wait for more reviews to come in after they have had some solid hands on time as it appears most sites are doing. The fact he feels he can justify his fast review and blame it on WB, pretending as if they were pushing him with some invisible stick to get it done sooner just completely invalides his thoughts on this game for me personally.

Regardless of reviews, I feel that this game starts out strong. The prologue is pretty well balanced given how weak you are.
You'll find this for the majority of games, as that's how development effort works which is why the ending is often rushed when it has the least amount of resources and manpower allocated.

nOoblet16

Gametrailer's Review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/gsv4lh/dying-light-review

- Encountered glitches and performance issues, but likes the aesthetics
- Doesn't like the main character (boring)
- Human AI is dumb
- Likes the parkour
- Likes the weapon system
- Likes co-op

6.8/10
Fighting humans is quite challenging considering how much they dodge and how fast they are compared to zombies, why is this so much of an issue here where you fight humans so less but not in other games where the core is fighting these humans ? I donno wtf he is talking about really with regards to that and what performance issues? The game is pretty much locked 30FPS on PS4 which is the version in the review. As for glitches the game isn't really glitchy, it's a YMMV kind of situation cause some people will encounter glitch while others wont for a long time (I haven't encountered any). This is certainly different from something like AC games where it glitches for everybody.

Fighting humans is quite challenging considering how much they dodge and how fast they are compared to zombies, why is this so much of an issue here where you fight humans so less but not in other games where the core is fighting these humans ? I donno wtf he is talking about really with regards to that and what performance issues? The game is pretty much locked 30FPS on PS4 which is the version in the review. As for glitches the game isn't really glitchy, it's a YMMV kind of situation cause some people will encounter glitch while others wont for a long time (I haven't encountered any). This is certainly different from something like AC games where it glitches for everybody.
That last bit is a generalisation as I have read quite a few people here didn't experience any glitches with Assassin's Creed Unity. Glitches are usually YMMV. Even if human enemies don't make for much of the game, if someone found them same-y to the zombies that's a flaw to them no matter the ratio.

nOoblet16

That last bit is a generalisation as I have read quite a few people here didn't experience any glitches with Assassin's Creed Unity. Glitches are usually YMMV. Even if human enemies don't make for much of the game, if someone found them same-y to the zombies that's a flaw to them no matter the ratio.

Well glitches as in any form of visual glitches,every AC game has visual glitches with NPCs, I'll have a hard time believing it if someone says they didn't experience any sort of glitches even minor ones in an AC games but I will for a game like Dying Light. I am not limiting it to game breaking glitches because I haven't experienced any of those since AC2 either, but stuff like weirdness, glitches with animations of both the NPC and main character, pop ups in areas where it shouldn't have any (like in the immediate vicinity) etc etc.

The GT review mostly talked about visual glitches and AC games are quite known for those.

Well glitches as in any form of visual glitches,every AC game has visual glitches with NPCs, I'll have a hard time believing it if someone says they didn't experience any sort of glitches even minor ones in an AC games but I will for a game like Dying Light. I am not limiting it to game breaking glitches because I haven't experienced any of those since AC2 either, but stuff like weirdness, glitches with animations of both the NPC and main character, pop ups in areas where it shouldn't have any (like in the immediate vicinity) etc etc.

The GT review mostly talked about visual glitches and AC games are quite known for those.
At 5:28 the GT review mentions game breaking glitches and shows a couple of them.

Dr.Acula

Banned
One of Jim's key points was that the finished build of the game was very different to the slice of gameplay preview he played years ago - he is free to speculate as to why this is as much as he wants.

I think that's my biggest problem with his review, reviewing the game on "what it isn't." The preview build gameplay he described sounded awesome, but keep in mind it would have been a heavily controlled demo. How many games have a specific early sequence that is brilliantly constructed, yet the rest of the game is unable to keep up that polish, or they just repeat the same scenario again and again causing it to lose its luster?

Maybe in the intervening years the dev found the type of gameplay in the demo not conducive to a 20 hour game and made a conscious decision to alter the gameplay for the better? Or maybe the published forced them to dumb down the gameplay like the review speculates. The point is you can make up conclusions either way.

I think I'm digging this game because I don't play a ton of games, less then 10 a year, certainly less than half that to completion. I'm going to complete this game. I never got into Farcry/Crysis beyond a few hours, never tried Dead Island, so to me this game is pretty sweet.

I'm reminded of the Tony Hawk games. I played one of the later ones and thought it was great, and everyone else said it sucked and that the earlier ones were better... But having not played hundreds of hours of the same game half a dozen times, I thought the later one was pretty good. I then tried one of the "classic" Tony Hawk games and was underwhelmed. It was the same, basically.

So if you've played every open-world zombie game there is, as a job, Dying Light may kind of suck, may be derivative. But for someone who doesn't play a lot of these games, the design feels well implemented and satisfying, as if it's learned from other games and has carefully curated the best elements of its predecessors.

DOWN

Banned
Lots of reviews up on Google now. The Independent, Rock,Paper,Shotgun

Only 6 listed on Meteoritic.

I have never been more surprised by the difference between personal enjoyment and review scores for a video game than I am with Dying Light, especially from reviewers that I generally trust/agree with. 5 from Jim, 6.8 from GT, 7 from Eurogamer are kinda flooring me a bit.

I would recommend to anyone feeling a bit put off by the review scores, watch the GB Quick Look.

foladar

I've had more glitches in Dying Light than I did in Assassin's Creed, surprisingly. Mostly in the last two hours, but I fell through the world three times, and got trapped in a random box on accident dropping down from a ledge. Game's still overall fun, though. 7ish for me.

Kurdel

Banned
Eurogamer reviewer clearly didn't get far in the game, never mind not finishing it.

Didn't get over the hump where you become a zombie murdering uber fighter with a grappling hook and guns.

It reads like a review of the first 5 hours, which aren't representative of the whole power curve in the game.

CozMick

Banned
Wow I really hate this review. Review the game for what it is and not for what the developers last game was. Count the number of times they reference Dead Island.
It's 9

This seems to be Eurogamers vision of a review these days, moan about why it isn't like said game. Its ridiculous.

Also websites be damned for not finishing their games before publishing a review.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Game keeps getting better and better the more I play it. Though some of these special zombies they're introducing are really annoying. The ones that blow up really need to give you some kind of an escape period, 'cause one just rounded the corner and insta-killed me from full health.

And one other niggle, the outskirt areas of the island don't have enough areas that award parkour points. Jumping across cars and whatnot doesn't net you anything, even if you're crossing a sea of zombies in the process.

Still, Dying Light is one of the few games where I don't feel bored once I reach zombie killing god status. I liked the deliberation it took to kill zombies in the beginning, using weak weapons and few abilities. But now the regular zombies seem to have become more aggressive, and I'm fighting more volatiles and special types than ever. No ability I've gained trumps the rest, so I find myself using pretty much all of them.

Game keeps getting better and better the more I play it. Though some of these special zombies they're introducing are really annoying. The ones that blow up really need to give you some kind of an escape period, 'cause one just rounded the corner and insta-killed me from full health.

And one other niggle, the outskirt areas of the island don't have enough areas that award parkour points. Jumping across cars and whatnot doesn't net you anything, even if you're crossing a sea of zombies in the process.

Still, Dying Light is one of the few games where I don't feel bored once I reach zombie killing god status. I liked the deliberation it took to kill zombies in the beginning, using weak weapons and few abilities. But now the regular zombies seem to have become more aggressive,and I'm fighting more volatiles and special types than ever. No ability I've gained trumps the rest, so I find myself using pretty much all of them.

Apparently the zombies grow stronger throughout the game.

From Prima games guide.
http://www.primagames.com/games/dyi...ricks-unlock-perks-repair-weapons-craft-items

Infected become stronger over time and learn new behaviors. Even the odds with more powerful weaponry.
Pretty cool.

Wow I really hate this review. Review the game for what it is and not for what the developers last game was. Count the number of times they reference Dead Island.
It's 9

Yeah, it's a really bad review and from the tone he wasn't even prepared to enjoy it. Eurogamer shouldn't let Dan Whitehead or Simon Parkin review big-budget mainstream games, because they're not to either's taste.

I have never been more surprised by the difference between personal enjoyment and review scores for a video game than I am with Dying Light, especially from reviewers that I generally trust/agree with. 5 from Jim, 6.8 from GT, 7 from Eurogamer are kinda flooring me a bit.

I would recommend to anyone feeling a bit put off by the review scores, watch the GB Quick Look.

Yeah, it's odd. I was really expecting better scores going by all the positive GAF impressions.

The first hour into the game was pretty bad but then it got better. I'm only about 3 hours in. It's a bit of Mirror's Edge, Dead Rising, and Far Cry.

Gaf is seriously making me wanna go and buy it ... I'm gonna hold out for a couple weeks and wait for reviews/patches to drop.

And hopefully the game might see a discount/sale ... What are the chances of that happening by the next month lol?

WITHE1982

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the positive reviews this is getting. I picked it up on PS4 yesterday but won't be starting it until Sunday but the more I read the more hyped I'm getting.

After the general panning that Dead Island and Riptide got from critics I'd say this is a win for Techland.

Sleeper hit?

jfoul

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the positive reviews this is getting. I picked it up on PS4 yesterday but won't be starting it until Sunday but the more I read the more hyped I'm getting.

After the general panning that Dead Island and Riptide got from critics I'd say this is a win for Techland.

Sleeper hit?

I think it's going to do well.

I'm pretty sure Dead Island sold over 5 million copies physical and digital even with the poop reviews.

Hasney

I think it's going to do well. I'm pretty sure Dead Island sold over 5 million copies physical and digital.

Dead Islands success was fairly inexplicable. A couple of runs here in the UK sold out and it was hard to find a copy for a little while.

Nabbis

Okay i don't get it. I decided to buy the game and it's filled with buggy shit, but on a personal enjoyment, it sure as hell beats many of the games that these outlets give 8s and 9s. That said, i did not play Dead Island.

Interesting that this game still doesn't have many reviews out there. I figured it would get mixed reviews anyway, however I gave it a try day one and have been pleasantly surprised. The combat is stiff early on but once you unlock certain abilities it gets more diversified and fun. Crafting and Skill systems are deep and rewarding, which I didn't expect from this game.

Haven't finished it yet but as it stands right now, it would be in the 7-8 range for me out of 10.

WITHE1982

I think it's going to do well. I'm pretty sure Dead Island sold over 5 million copies physical and digital.

Agreed. I loved Dead Island and bought it at launch, despite the initial reviews giving it 5-6/10. I think that initial reveal trailer for Dead Island didn't help matters TBH. It was a fantastic piece of work but gave people completely the wrong impression of what the game actually was.

The open world zombie genre is definitely one I'd like to see expanded on so I really hope this does well. The UK delay hasn't helped their cause though.

Why didn't you guys let me know bioGamergirl gave it a 7.5/10

BvXozt9.gif

Top Bottom