• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Review Thread

You realize that's a ridiculous concept, right? 'Objectively' less fun? Some people prefer melee, some prefer guns. Some like parkour, some like driving vehicles. Some people find hunting honey badgers a lot of fun. Nothing 'objective' about it.

Not so fast. Not everything in games is entirely subjective otherwise it would be pointless to even pass judgement.

There is a subjective component, but reviews usually try to give less weight to personal preferences and highlight issues with the game that most people will uncover.

I think Dying Light has *objectively* better game mechanics than fc4: better co-op function, better mission structure, better skill and weapon progression and so far, better mission variety. These things contribute, hugely, to fun. The other things can be considered a wash, or are more subjective. Such as: I prefer jungles, or, I prefer guns to melee.

It is hard to see why one particular reviewer would either put personal preferences for, say, gun play, above these mechanics, unless they flat out state "well I'm giving it a lower score because I am tired of zombie games and just prefer militia games".

Basically I'm convinced most people will enjoy playing this game as much as, or more than, far cry 4, for reasons of better game mechanics, not for reasons of personal preference.

Karak

How much time do you realistically need to play a game for to review it? THese guys have been playing the game for the entirety of each of those days.

ITs the only thing they have to do.

That's of course pretending anyone knows the basics of other peoples game-play styles or if they did or didn't rush or if that is their style in the first place. Playing a game for long periods of time isn't instantly bad, or playing it strictly like a game and not walking through a level staring at every flower(I am blowing those out of proportion on purpose). Nor is playing a game slow and looking at everything bad. There is a middle ground.

Also if its their only job(or its on a weekend or if the gamer just wants to) its totally fine for someone to do nothing than play through it, hell I did that as a kid for 15 hour sessions and it doesn't mean someones rushing but it also doesn't mean they will gather more useful information in that time.

No one, no one can see into the mind of someone else and magically identify how they planned to go into something. That is why it is best to find reviewers or players or forum goers you know play in a similar manner to you and utilize their decision to make yours.

Totally agree.

On another note, what did people expect? This is Techland we are talking about. They have been delivering mediocre experiences for years now. I expected Dying Light to be the same type of shallow experience as the Dead Island games.

You say this as though the people disagreeing haven't played the game. The more I play it, the less I understand giving this game a 5/10, even on a scale where that's simply average or mediocre. It's does some things very well and does not really feel like another game I've played before, except for Dead Island of course and that was not a game I cared for very much. This feels like an 8/10 to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not so fast. Not everything in games is entirely subjective otherwise it would be pointless to even pass judgement.

There is a subjective component, but reviews usually try to give less weight to personal preferences and highlight issues with the game that most people will uncover.

I think Dying Light has *objectively* better game mechanics than fc4: better co-op function, better mission structure, better skill and weapon progression and so far, better mission variety. These things contribute, hugely, to fun. The other things can be considered a wash, or are more subjective. Such as: I prefer jungles, or, I prefer guns to melee.

It is hard to see why one particular reviewer would either put personal preferences for, say, gun play, above these mechanics, unless they flat out state "well I'm giving it a lower score because I am tired of zombie games and just prefer militia games".

Basically I'm convinced most people will enjoy playing this game as much as, or more than, far cry 4, for reasons of better game mechanics, not for reasons of personal preference.
fun is subjective. The premise of something being "objectively less fun" is ridiculous, as previously described. Lots of people find lots of things very fun that I find not fun at all; I have no recourse by which to say they're objectively wrong.

martino

I'm 13h in and i didn't even unlock level 13 core competences that seem to be massive game changer.
This game need time to test all possibilities (or maybe they used console commmand to unlock everything)

fun is subjective. The premise of something being "objectively less fun" is ridiculous, as previously described. Lots of people find lots of things very fun that I find not fun at all; I have no recourse by which to say they're objectively wrong.

Fun is the natural result of well designed games. Otherwise Nintendo would not exist.
If game mechanics are OBJECTIVELY better, then fun is usually the result. So you can say that something is objectively more fun because of the link. With an unstated but obvious "likely to be.." in there.
I'd like to think that reviewers are capable of spotting the difference between poor game mechanics, that stymie fun, and good ones, that promote it.

Which is why I'm confused if the same preson gives a higher score to (say) far cry 4, or Watchdogs, which have game mechanics problems, but are in many ways similar derivative open world quest-a-thons. Unless the score is mostly influenced by personal preference for a style of game. In which case the review is less useful unless you know the reviewer very well.

Anyway it looks like Jim will be an outlier score, even when measured by his own "5 means mediocre" scale.
In other words most reviewers will end up scoring this around their FC4, Watchdogs score, or maybe higher, and that's probably about right.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I agree with Jim. The game feels like it is comprised of a bunch of chunks of other AAA video games. It takes itself way to seriously for something that is so cynical and derivative.

Where are people getting it takes itself way too seriously? I'm jumping over zombies, sliding into them and setting off hilarious traps. How on earth does that offer a serious nature to the game? The main quest feels slightly serious in that you are trying to stop some crazy guy from using an untested vaccine that could potentially wipe out the quarantined area but other than that most quests have been rather light-hearted.

Stet

Banned
Jim Sterling didn't want to like the game.

Many of his critiques also apply to most of Shakespeare's work. Very few of his plays were original ideas, and the ones that were are the most maligned (Titus). Romeo & Juliet was nothing new, he just did it better.

titan andronicus has whole plotlines stolen from ovid.

Many of his critiques also apply to most of Shakespeare's work. Very few of his plays were original ideas, and the ones that were are the most maligned (Titus). Romeo & Juliet was nothing new, he just did it better.

post of the year.

Brydo0

Neo Member
Dying Light's story and glitches/bug are the real negatives from the 6 or so hours I've put in so far. It's predictable to the point where you see each plot twist from a good mile away and most missions are simply fetch quest this, fetch quest that.

Where the game is quite enjoyable is in it's combat and traversal, upgrades to both weapons and movement boost this even further later in the game.

It's also pretty satisfying to just hop around with Friends in Co-Op, you can do both story content and side missions with specific mini objectives for Multiplayer (Get here first, kill the most zombies etc.).

Unfortunately I ran into a pretty ugly bug that wiped both my level progress and removed all my weapons. This was triggered by my friends game crashing while in Co-Op. The game lets you choose a new save file from open story missions (if you wish) and gives you adequate gear to make this not game breaking but it's still a major pain. In my case I had to replay about 45 minutes and lost a couple of well crafted weapons.

codhand

POTD-Owl_2637650k.jpg

You say this as though the people disagreeing haven't played the game. The more I play it, the less I understand giving this game a 5/10, even on a scale where that's simply average or mediocre. It's does some things very well and does not really feel like another game I've played before, except for Dead Island of course and that was not a game I cared for very much. This feels like an 8/10 to me.

Ok, I get that you're having fun with it. But shouldn't a score of 8/10 be reserved for something truly deserving of it? Something that feels different, new, and unique? You could make the argument that the score represents how much fun the reviewer had. But then how can you tell the difference between a game that gets an excellent score for its innovation, versus one that just got one because it's fun? 5 seems about right for a game that does the same things so many other games do, but does them with little less polish. Don't you think?

Trace

Banned
Ok, I get that you're having fun with it. But shouldn't a score of 8/10 be reserved for something truly deserving of it? Something that feels different, new, and unique? You could make the argument that the score represents how much fun the reviewer had. But then how can you tell the difference between a game that gets an excellent score for its innovation, versus one that just got one because it's fun? 5 seems about right for a game that does the same things so many other games do, but does them with little less polish. Don't you think?

Why does an 8/10 have to be something that's "different, new and unique"? Dying Light really isn't like a lot of other games, just because the individual parts of the game are similar to other games doesn't mean it is on the whole. There has never been another open-world zombie game like this with parkour.

Where are people getting it takes itself way too seriously? I'm jumping over zombies, sliding into them and setting off hilarious traps. How on earth does that offer a serious nature to the game? The main quest feels slightly serious in that you are trying to stop some crazy guy from using an untested vaccine that could potentially wipe out the quarantined area but other than that most quests have been rather light-hearted.

First off, one of the first attacks you learn lets you literally sprint at a zombie, jump at it, and kick it with both of your feet. Then there's the drop kick.

Second... http://i.imgur.com/5i1PeTr.webm

Thank you for making my point. The mechanics are zany slapstick comedy but the graphics, story, and characters are really dark and serious. It's also an open world game that starts with quite a bit of walking down narrow apartment hallways. It's a really tone deaf experience.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Fun is the natural result of well designed games. Otherwise Nintendo would not exist.
If game mechanics are OBJECTIVELY better, then fun is usually the result. So you can say that something is objectively more fun because of the link. With an unstated but obvious "likely to be.." in there.

What in the hell? This is absolute nonsense.

The mere fact that you have to include a qualifier, not once, but twice ("usually," "likely to be") makes it nonsense right off the bat, even if "how much one enjoys something" wasn't a wholly subjective phenomenon. Which it is. Plenty of people enjoy games with horribly broken and unpolished mechanics. There's nothing objective about it. Even pinning down which mechanics are "good" and which are "bad" is subjective in itself.

This game is so far away from a 5/10, how did he even beat it that quick & other people are still working thru it.

I was playing shadow warrior & GTA 5, but since I got dying light, that's all I can play when I can play.
My Newborn steals all my time!

deeptech

I agree with Jim. The game feels like it is comprised of a bunch of chunks of other AAA video games. It takes itself way to seriously for something that is so cynical and derivative.

Me too , i had to see one gameplay video to get that impression , seriously. It really is just as he said , played really safe , "AAA" style , nothing new except the name. It's just boring to watch it , let alone play. But hey, that shit gets most of the 8s and 9s these days , so it's all good...

Megatron

Me too , i had to see one gameplay video to get that impression , seriously. It really is just as he said , played really safe , "AAA" style , nothing new except the name. It's just boring to watch it , let alone play. But hey, that shit gets most of the 8s and 9s these days , so it's all good...

Did you play the game or are you just basing that on the video? How far did you get?

I haven't played it yet, I'm just curious.

GHG

Gold Member
I just reread sterlings review and one thing that gets me is how he mentions that the game just steals from other games...

What score did he give to Mordor out of interest?

c0Zm1c

I just reread sterlings review and one thing that gets me is how he mentions that the game just steals from other games...

What score did he give to Mordor out of interest?

It's a point not even worth raising these days, for more than just comparison at least. Nearly all games take something from one or more other games and even those that don't do anything new or different with the mechanics they're "stealing" can end up being decent games. I'm not far at all into this game yet, but it feels like it's more than the sum of its "stolen" parts.

GHG

Gold Member
It's a point not even worth raising these days, for more than just comparison at least. Nearly all games take something from one or more other games and even those that don't do anything new or different with the mechanics they're "stealing" can end up being decent games. I'm not far at all into this game yet, but it feels like it's more than the sum of its "stolen" parts.

Exactly.

The point is that we have reached "creative saturation" as far as big budget games are concerned these days. Every game steals elements from other games, nothing is truly original anymore. All that matters is how its all put together and whether it feels coherent in the final product, not where individual elements are "stolen" from.

Its better to simply say you didn't like the game and that it didn't resonate well with you than to draw up comparisons to other games and attempt to shame the game as being unoriginal (especially when its clearly not considering the core mechanics).

But this is the "golden standard" that we have come to expect from gaming journalists these days. Where the respective audiences of the journalists ate looking to be "entertained" rather than listen to or read a rational critique of the game.

This is why people take their favorite games journalists opinions as gospel. Not because it makes sense, but because they happen to "like" that person or find them "funny".

These guys know they are in the entertainment business, so instead of behaving like professional journalists they play up to the personality that their fans have become accustomed to liking.

Aikidoka

I think that people have a little bit of a childish view of originality (especially with that Shakespeare comment). The shape of the plot and mechanics do not have to be original, they do not have to be "innovative". However, what things do need is to present unoriginal content in a different way - i.e., they need to bring something to the table and not simply steal from it.

So, if two different games have parkour or whatever, one can be really bland while the other stands out in the way it's implemented. Like even though Shadow of Mordor "stole" from Batman and AC, it brings its own flair to the gameplay mechanics that make it exciting.

tl;dr Thank God for Jim Sterling

I usually like Jims reviews but the last paragraph where he calls my mother a "stanky ass ho" went a bit too far and now I am on a personal vendetta

GHG

Gold Member
I think that people have a little bit of a childish view of originality (especially with that Shakespeare comment). The shape of the plot and mechanics do not have to be original, they do not have to be "innovative". However, what things do need is to present unoriginal content in a different way - i.e., they need to bring something to the table and not simply steal from it.

So, if two different games have parkour or whatever, one can be really bland while the other stands out in the way it's implemented. Like even though Shadow of Mordor "stole" from Batman and AC, it brings its own flair to the gameplay mechanics that make it exciting.

tl;dr Thank God for Jim Sterling

I'm curious here as to what the rationale is here?

What unique "flair" did Mordor bring to the table from a gameplay perspective?

I'm curious here as to what the rationale is here?

What unique "flair" did Mordor bring to the table from a gameplay perspective?
The entire nemesis system.

Also not understanding why we're now suggesting that a game needs to be innovative in order to receive high ratings.

I mentioned Far Cry 4 receiving a higher score from Jim earlier because it's a very similar experience to Far Cry 3, and was the second most bug filled game I played last year. I wouldn't rate it low because it's not unique. I would rate it low because it wasn't even close to being a finished game.

GHG

Gold Member
The entire nemesis system.

Also not understanding why we're now suggesting that a game needs to be innovative in order to receive high ratings.

I mentioned Far Cry 4 receiving a higher score from Jim earlier because it's a very similar experience to Far Cry 3, and was the second most bug filled game I played last year. I wouldn't rate it low because it's not unique. I would rate it low because it wasn't even close to being a finished game.

I agree on the nemesis system but I meant more from the perspective of the moment to moment gameplay (combat and traversal mechanics) since that is what the review is getting at.

One could argue that the difference in dynamics between day and night in dying light could be its "unique" feature (the game has actually been marketed as such) but instead we will ignore that for the sake of writing a hyperbolic and despondent review to appease the fans of Jim Sterling.

Lord Phol

I really did not like Dead Island. The setting, the unpolished and repetitive gameplay, the way the combat felt. Alot of people keep mentioning that this feels like Dead Island, but to me it's like a whole other game. Killing zombies is just so much more satisfying (gets better the more you level up as well) and the addition of parkour makes for some interesting and fun traversing that I really haven't experienced much in an FPS before (I know about Mirrors Edge).

I also quite like the atmosphere (good atmosphere is a big positive in my book) and the music is great. The story isn't anything new but it definetly works and I find the characters to be pretty likeable. As I'm writing this I've only played for 10 hours+, but I would definetly give this my recommendations to anyone who isn't zombie-fatigued.

On the negative side I could see the formula becoming tiring after awhile, but so far I'm still enjoying it.

TLDR: Atmosphere, great combat, parkour and polish makes this a whole other game than Dead Island to me. Which is only a good thing!

This game is just fun as hell, 12 hours into it. It's not stellar in any one area except that traversal and combat just work and feel very satisfying, and since that is the core gameplay experience, that is enough. I hope it reviews well because I want to see more games in this vein.

As for being innovative, yeah it does crib a lot of things from other titles but as a whole package there isn't another game I can say I've played that is quite like this, even if it is similar in many regards to an Ubisoft title. I'd say in fact that Shadow of Mordor is a great comparison - a game that takes many things from the Ubisoft template, but does it better.

From Jim Sterling's review:

Dying Light has all the tools to be something special, but it’s so insistent on playing it safe and mimicking other successful games that it fails completely to stand out in its own way. Even the inclusion of parkour isn’t particularly special these days, since so many games are throwing it in. We have a game that shamelessly cribs its elements from Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed, and The Elder Scrolls while significantly toning down anything original, almost deliberately, to conform to homogeneous “AAA videogame” standards. Far be it from me to speculate, but I can’t help thinking Techland had something with more spontaneity in mind, something more radical and consistently closer to what I played over two years back, before Warner Bros. stepped in and told them to OBEY the mass market trends. Whatever the motivation, the result is a game that has all these wonderful ideas crammed into the pedestrian shape of Big Budget Game Release #587,000.

That right there is all I need to hear about this review. It is exactly the kind of information I want to know right before I buy the game and this criticism here clearly points out to all the red flag concerns I had for this game. So far, no other review or impression has even contested these criticisms solidifying the fact that it is an integral criticism to this game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Darn, I wish I hadn't unlocked the curb-stomp finisher. A little too overpowered for how easy it is to trip enemies. I already miss having to club them several times in the back of the head before they'd die. I like a bit of effort.

Also, I now own two different handguns and a plethora of 30 bullets pooled between them. I don't like them very much though. DL definitely aint a shooting kind of game.

It's a point not even worth raising these days, for more than just comparison at least. Nearly all games take something from one or more other games and even those that don't do anything new or different with the mechanics they're "stealing" can end up being decent games.

Agree with this.

I hate the token deduction of points from a review score because a game isn't "innovative."

Surely the more pertinent point is whether it feels fresh or stale, which isn't in direct proportion to how "innovative" it is or how many mechanics it has "stolen."

JodokusK

The problem is with the fact that his is the first low score the game has got, and only a day after launch too. I really don't imagine agreeing with other reviews if they come off with 5s or 6s as well in the next couple days.

He seems to rely a lot on his opinion that Dying Light isn't unique, but I can't think of another game like it. Open world zombie games nowadays are survival games like DayZ. That's not what Dying Light is.

And for parkour games, we've got Mirror's Edge, maybe Brink (lol), and Titanfall. None of which are like Dying Light.

And the game has functional 4-player co-op, unlike a certain AAA open world FPS that Ubisoft released last year that he gave a higher rating.

Hell, they manged to pull off a better Evolve game before Evolve even released with the Invasions.

If focusing on a single core aspect is what he wanted, the game wouldn't have been as unique as it is. If it had focused more on parkour somehow, even though it has some of the best parkour since Mirror's Edge, it would have been too similar to the other games that only focused on Mirror's Edge. If it had focused too much on the zombies, it might have ended up as another Dead Island.

This mostly sums up what I think of Jim's review. I respect him as a dude who talks about games, but I honestly believe his review is 'wrong' in the sense that he's asking something from the game that's not there.

c0Zm1c

That right there is all I need to hear about this review. It is exactly the kind of information I want to know right before I buy the game and this criticism here clearly points out to all the red flag concerns I had for this game. So far, no other review or impression has even contested these criticisms solidifying the fact that it is an integral criticism to this game.

Information? It's unfounded speculation - which he admits!

That doesn't belong in reviews.

Seanspeed

Banned

What on flippin earth are you talking about?

You're being sarcastic or something, right?

Top Bottom