• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Review Thread

pa22word

How is it that many/most of the prominent publications have "spent about five hours with the game" and have reviews in progress but the mid-smaller size sites have full reviews.

This is supposedly a 40 to 50-hour game (per the dev).

As much as I'd love to, I just can't trust the reviews of those who haven't even had the game code for 30 hours, MINUS download/installation time and the time it took up to actually type up a review.

You really shouldn't trust any review from the press, then, as they all have deadlines and will shove a review out the door--game finished or not--when they hit their deadline, and call it a day.

It's how Mass Effect 3 and all its backlash happened. Fans actually finished the game and found out that it flopped all over the floor and keeled over and died while the press kinda faffed around with it for a bit until they felt they had played enough of it to churn out a 4000 word essay on what they thought about it, with an arbitrary score on the end so people wouldn't have to read their essay anyways.

How is it that many/most of the prominent publications have "spent about five hours with the game" and have reviews in progress but the mid-smaller size sites have full reviews.

As much as I'd love to, I just can't trust the reviews of those who haven't even had the game code for 30 hours, MINUS download/installation time and the time it took up to actually type up a review.

Tiny sites think it's worth it to rush out a review and get the extra clicks that it nets from being first, whereas some of the bigger sites probably feel that it's better in the long run for their reputation to take their time with it.

Molotov Cupcake

Neo Member
I'm reviewing the game for Mashable, and I just got my code yesterday. No "rushing" here. The review will be done when I'm done with the game.

Ralemont

not me
The unintentional side effect of no review copies is that I actually really enjoy reading impressions without the obsession to attach a number to it. Same with destiny. So long as they mention how long they've spent with the game, of course.

Never heard of this Attack of the Fanboy site, are they owned by CBSi? or did they just blatantly steal the whole look and design of GiantBomb? haha

Aikidoka

Watching Jim Sterling's livestream makes me think the game looks is mediocre. The story and dialogue were really uninteresting and dragged on and on. The combat looks annoying - especially with the thugs, where you hits have no impact whatsoever.

And does anyone else find the searching bodies animation hilarious? Like a cat just gently groping the air or something.

5/10 from Jim.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/01/dying-light-review/

Update:

About 6 hours into the game, and I see where he's coming from, but I'm also having a complete blast with the game. I think the parkour is well done and adds a lot to the game, and the night time gameplay alone is worth the price of admission. Fucking terrifying.

I love this game, it is an absolute blast. But Jim's review is not off. I read it twice and cannot really disagree with anything he says.

This is one of those games that you play for the hell of it. But it is not a masterpiece by any means.

Just watching twitch for a few hours yesterday was enough to tell me Jim's review is pretty much how I feel about the game, and that's just from watching others play.

My response was less pithy with the other bit, which I do appreciate by the way, my firstborn child and heir to the Sterling Estate.

You live in Mississippi... some nice plantation homes there. I bet you have a grand estate with all those interweb dollars.

*plots Jim's demise*

Not touching this thing until it's been out for at least a week. Maybe two. I just don't trust the way this release has been handled.

I quite like the look of the footage I've seen, but it being a Techland game I'm thinking at least two months is necessary for them to iron out all the shit.

Lucifon

I love this game, it is an absolute blast. But Jim's review is not off. I read it twice and cannot really disagree with anything he says.

This is one of those games that you play for the hell of it. But it is not a masterpiece by any means.

It's the score more than anything that's off (and I've read Jim's scale explanation). A game doesn't need to do something particularly brand new to be good fun. Each to his own, but I'm having a blast so far. Not a masterpiece no, but it's really fun.

Baliis

Will be interesting to see how it reviews, but from watching streamers playing co op and just having a total blast, I'm pretty excited to pick it up today hopefully.

5/10 from Jim.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/01/dying-light-review/

Update:

About 6 hours into the game, and I see where he's coming from, but I'm also having a complete blast with the game. I think the parkour is well done and adds a lot to the game, and the night time gameplay alone is worth the price of admission. Fucking terrifying.

he's still doing this huh, wel i guess it's working.. got to get them clicks yo.

I'm 5-6 hours in and no way this is a 5 lol

mario_O

Jim is funny but his review scores are always all over the place. Better off reading the article than looking at a score with him for sure.
Yep.
Dying Light has all the tools to be something special, but it’s so insistent on playing it safe and mimicking other successful games that it fails completely to stand out in its own way. Even the inclusion of parkour isn’t particularly special these days, since so many games are throwing it in. We have a game that shamelessly cribs its elements from Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed, and The Elder Scrolls while significantly toning down anything original, almost deliberately, to conform to homogeneous “AAA videogame” standards. 5/10

Watch Dogs is almost surprisingly mundane in its approach to open world adventuring - in fact, it suffers somewhat from the near-total homogenization and uniformity Ubisoft encourages in all of its games. As players travel Chicago and unlock new things to do, the game can be seen as something of a Frankenstein's Monster of previous Ubisoft titles. Whether you're parkouring around the city a'la Assassin's Creed, cracking data towers to open up the map like FarCry 3, or enjoying the kind of gadget-based stealthing Sam Fisher employs in Splinter Cell, this hyped herald of a new generation feels distinctly like a case of "been there, done that."4.5/5

A marathon session just blasting through the story probably isn't a good way to experience an open world game.

I can't reward this kind of buffoonery with my hard earned clicks.
Marathon sessions are how a lot of reviewers used to have to, and sometimes still do, review games.

It's not a good thing!

I'm pretty sure WB knew what they were doing when they refused to send out review copies.

Who cares about that. His Alien merchandise and dildo collection are the real treasure you should be looking out for.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Cartman86

Banned
:O Never knew that XCOM had reviews after release

I wonder why they did that

Games have been doing it for years. Only in the past year have we seen the idea that it's because they are likely to be shit become a prominent thing. Somehow someone started spreading this idea again and this time it caught on. Probably because it's a meme in the film industry.

So far, does general consensus indicate that this game is "ok"? I am still on the fence, but will probably pick it up today.

5/10 is a bit harsh, but it is a pretty average AAA game. Give it a 3/5 myself.
If the combat was as interesting as the parkour system, then I would like it more.

But calling 5/10 mediocre is a bit harsh though. I would say the game is OK personally.

5/10 and 3/5 are the same halfway score! How is his harsh but yours not?
Mediocre and OK are the same also.

Jims review reads well enough but the score is just odd. Just goes to show, as reviews always do, can't look at just the score. Though he admits to playing the game for basically two days straight and I don't know about some folks, but that can cause major burnout for me in any videogame, regardless how much fun I'm having. I'm reviewing it for the site I work for and I'm taking my time and they are encouraging that.

and he gave 6.5 to fc4
which at least for me is not nearly as *fun* as this game has been, at least so far. Fc4 felt like homework, my save file is languishing at 25 hours. Dying Light feels, if not yet like a vacation, at least like a real amusement.

It's the score more than anything that's off (and I've read Jim's scale explanation). A game doesn't need to do something particularly brand new to be good fun. Each to his own, but I'm having a blast so far. Not a masterpiece no, but it's really fun.

he's still doing this huh, wel i guess it's working.. got to get them clicks yo.

I'm 5-6 hours in and no way this is a 5 lol

Have you read his explanation of the numbers? Honestly I think a lot of people are sitting here are freaking out as if a 5 is bad...

5 is honestly just a game that plays does things but is not great and is not bad... People are getting their underwear in a bunch over a 5 is silly. Given the review score explanation I would be happy owning a car rated at a 5... It is no frills, it works and it does what it is supposed to do.

I think the people that are mad or believe a 5 is some horrid score need to realize average exists and there is nothing wrong with pointing average out.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Im sure the main story is around a dozen hours.

He gave this score to a game I liked, but he gave THIS SCORE to a game I DIDN'T LIKE!

INCONSISTENCY!

The only reason people put so much care about scores, is the fact that the top viewed people in the gaming internets scores are being used to deem it's value to them. Which is just how the weird internet popularity works. No one give a shit if I write a review or score it a 3/10 or a 10/10. Jim Sterling, Joystiq, IGN, Greg Miller, and anyone else rates it super high or super low and the world blows up.

Top Bottom