• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light Review Thread

Eh, I view a 5/10 as bad. A 3/5 is an ok game. Maybe a rent but not a buy.

And that's the issue with going against typical review scores. Sure, it makes sense to say a 5/10 is a mediocre game, but people are trained to already see that as a bad score. It's a trend that I believe is also bringing down metacritic scores as well. This has always bugged me with EDGE too.

Friction

Sorry. Love the guy, but Jim's reviews have always been a miss for me. I'm going to wait for more reviews to come out though before i decide to dive in.

Been watching plays on twitch and it looks super fun.

Paskil

After playing coop and nighttime last night, I cannot call this game mediocre. Perfect? No. Great? Probably not. Worth the cost of entry and what looks like a lot of hours of mindless fun? Fo sho.

Hasney

And that's the issue with going against typical review scores. Sure, it makes sense to say a 5/10 is a mediocre game, but people are trained to already see that as a bad score. It's a trend that I believe is also bringing down metacritic scores as well. This has always bugged me with EDGE too.

But Edge has done it since before any of these websites even existed.

Lucifon

Have you read his explanation of the numbers? Honestly I think a lot of people are sitting here are freaking out as if a 5 is bad...

As I said, I read his explanation of the numbers :) I personally think the game is better than average, but like I say it's each to their own. Reviews are only opinions at the end of the day.

Jims review reads well enough but the score is just odd. Just goes to show, as reviews always do, can't look at just the score. Though he admits to playing the game for basically two days straight and I don't know about some folks, but that can cause major burnout for me in any videogame, regardless how much fun I'm having. I'm reviewing it for the site I work for and I'm taking my time and they are encouraging that.

I've always been concerned about this for reviews. Marathoning games can often lead to a lot of frustration and creates an experience of the game that the majority of people won't share. Most of us with full time jobs can play a few hours a day at most.

I disagree personally. Mediocre is inbetween OK and Bad IMO.
I was not saying 5/10 is a bad score. I was saying calling the game mediocre is a bit harsh.

mediocre
ˌmiːdɪˈəʊkə/
adjective
of only average quality

synonyms: ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate, everyday, workaday, tolerable, passable, adequate, fair; More

Seems like the word mediocre and 5/10 go hand in hand to me.

SomTervo

Sorry. Love the guy, but Jim's reviews have always been a miss for me. I'm going to wait for more reviews to come out though before i decide to dive in.

Been watching plays on twitch and it looks super fun.

I'm also a Sterling fan, but he sure seems to complain about what the game isn't rather than trying to just have fun with what it is.

Disclaimer: not read his review in full

ˌmiːdɪˈəʊkə/

That's some nice Received Pronunciation you got goin' on there

mdsfx

I want everyone to mark this game with high review scores to validate my purchase. I just realized that's exactly why I'm here. So lame.

I am really enjoying the game so why should I care about Jim's 5/10 or someone else's 8/10? I shouldn't really. So I guess... I'm heading to another topic?

codhand

Jim review is fine, he's says it lacks ambition. I enjoyed DI1 and 2, and am enjoying this game, the addition of coop will give this game some legs for me. Also I'm a sucker for these "jack-of-all-trades" open-world games. FC4, Crew, Unity, and Sunset Overdrive, were all fun games for me.

I've always been concerned about this for reviews. Marathoning games can often lead to a lot of frustration and creates an experience of the game that the majority of people won't share. Most of us with full time jobs can play a few hours a day at most.

Yep. It's totally true. I've had about 5 hours between single player and co-op over the last few days and I'm not rushing to get it out or forcing myself to play a game to get a review done and released. Though I am reviewing it for the site I post at which even gets posted on metacritic. Granted I don't make my living posting things online for the mass consumer to read so my lively hood doesn't depend on it, nor does the thought that I must finish this game or play at least 15 hours in 2 days apply. I've been in that mentality before and it can and does affect your thoughts on a product. No way around that.

Jim review is fine, he's says it lacks ambition. I enjoyed DI1 and 2, and am enjoying this game, the addition of coop will give this game some legs for me. Also I'm a sucker for these "jack-of-all-trades" open-world games. FC4, Crew, Unity, and Sunset Overdrive, were all fun games for me.

And see that's where you have to take personal reviewers game taste into play. Jim loves Dynasty warriors games but they lack ambition or much change in years. Yet he loves em. You just gotta realize the history of said reviewer and sorta apply it. Granted that doesn't help people that don't follow specific reviewers.

nowarning

Jim's the man, nice scoring like classic PC Zone, where 50% was average.

Going to read some more about this game, to be honest I was expecting it to have the same outcome as Dead Island (Hype, hype, hype, but the game turned out to be a bit rubbish really) so color me impressed if that is not the case, potential purchase in the distant future.

Rizific

played about 3 hours of co op last night and had a blast. performance issues aside, id rate the game a "fun and ill play this for a whlie/10"

But Edge has done it since before any of these websites even existed.

EGM, Gamepro, Gamefan, Game Players and others all used a generally higher review score system before EDGE was first published. Most magazines and websites followed suit, so EDGE is still the outlier in most cases.

codhand

Yep. It's totally true. I've had about 5 hours between single player and co-op over the last few days and I'm not rushing to get it out or forcing myself to play a game to get a review done or work. Granted I don't make my living posting things online for the mass consumer to read so my lively hood doesn't depend on it, nor does the thought that I must finish this game or play at least 15 hours in 2 days apply. I've been in that mentality before and it can and does affect your thoughts on a product. No way around that.

And see that's where you have to take personal reviewers game taste into play. Jim loves Dynasty warriors games but they lack ambition or much change in years. Yet he loves em. You just gotta realize the history of said reviewer and sorta apply it. Granted that doesn't help people that don't follow specific reviewers.

if you look at score only, and take things personal, you done fucked up. the review is perfectly well-reasoned. I personally think that Dying Light is (so far) the natural evolution of Dead Island, and improves enough of what I considered to be a good thing, to warrant the purchase. hell, im probably buying Dead Island 3, and none of those games reviewed that great.

if you look at score only, and take things personal, you done fucked up. the review is perfectly well-reasoned. I personally think that Dying Light is (so far) the natural evolution of Dead Island, and improves enough of what I considered to be a good thing, to warrant the purchase. hell, im probably buying Dead Island 3, and none of those games reviewed that great.

That's the internet in a nutshell. You don't have to tell me. :D

Orca

The score feels more like punishment for not delivering the game early enough for a launch day review, especially with the actual rant included about Warner Bros not delivering the game early and how that's the reason he didn't finish it before doing the review.

He gave dead island a 7, calls dying light the best work they have ever done and gives it a 5.. ok.
It's not personal, it's just weird.

Jawmuncher

Looks like it'll be another dead island.
Some will love it others will hate it. Now to see if it can get the same sales. Probably not though.

Samus4145

I started it yesterday when the review code showed up. It could have done a better job explaining that you'll be stuck in single-player for the first couple missions. Once co-op was unlocked, I immediately had players connect. Outside of finding the secret two handed sword, we took on a quarantine zone (instanced area). The challenge was quite high, but we managed to complete it. The tweaked combat is much more satisfying than in Dead Island. I appreciate the occasional slow motion kill.

Won't have a published review until the end of the week. Not going to rush anything for clicks.

edit: I should add I am rocking a Geforce 970 and a i7 3770k (overclocked) and have the smallest bit of frame drop when only panning across fire.

I've only put 2 hours of single player in and I love it. Coop will keep me going to till the order and probably past that. There are enough streams going for people to get an idea about the game

codhand

Only thing Jim mentions Dying Light being Techland's best is in the visual department. Everything else about the game seems to be copy and paste elements from Ubi games, Dead Island, and Elder Scrolls.

and this is why im a sucker for it, ubi formula in an open-world, coop, zombie game? fuck, im practically powerless against its call

tesqui

I look at a 5/10 and worry that this game is going to go to shit later? because the 5 hours i've played have been nothing but happy zombie slashin fun.

Applebite

I look at a 5/10 and worry that this game is going to go to shit later? because the 5 hours i've played have been nothing but happy zombie slashin fun.
You should probably look at all the text above the score instead of the score itself if you want to know whether or not it will "go to shit" for you.

Mononoke

Banned
You guys do know you don't have to agree 1:1 with Sterling's scores right? In my opinion his reviews are written well enough that I get a lot out of them even when I don't agree with him. Look at what he's saying and ask yourself if those things would bother you as well, or if they are things that wouldnt bother you.

Even when you don't agree with someone you can take things they are saying and apply it to your own sensibilities/taste. Reviews with scores you don't agree with can still be useful tools.

Karu

Watched Greg Miller stream it the other day. Looks really fun, though might check Dead Island out first. That game always interested me without ever purchasing it. Mhm. In the mood for a grind/Quest-heavy FP-game.

You guys do know you don't have to agree 1:1 with Sterling's scores right? In my opinion his reviews are written well enough that I get a lot out of them even when I don't agree with him. Look at what he's saying and ask yourself if those things would bother you as well, or if they are things that wouldnt bother you.

Even when you don't agree with someone you can take things they are saying and apply it to your own sensibilities/taste. Reviews with scores you don't agree with can still be useful tools.

NO NO NO REVIEWS HAVE TO VALIDATE MY PREVIOUSLY HELD OPINIONS ANYTHING ELSE IS UNACCEPTABLE MONEY HAT TEBIAS STUPID NOOB LOL HOW CAN THIS GAME BE A FIVE OUT OF TEN WHEN HE GAVE WATCHDOGS A NINE OUT OF TEN....PATREON CANCELLED

Kusagari

NO NO NO REVIEWS HAVE TO VALIDATE MY PREVIOUSLY HELD OPINIONS ANYTHING ELSE IS UNACCEPTABLE MONEY HAT TEBIAS STUPID NOOB LOL HOW CAN THIS GAME BE A FIVE OUT OF TEN WHEN HE GAVE WATCHDOGS A NINE OUT OF TEN....PATREON CANCELLED

Wait he gave Watch Dogs a nine?

Patreon canceled indeed.

I've been loving the game so far from the four hours I've played of it, but at the same time don't get why it's so important that other people love it as much as I do.

If Jim thinks it's a mediocre game, so be it. Opinions man.

Bioshock Infinite has a 94 on Metacritic, but to me it's a 5/10 game.

Why is this so hard for people to come to terms with?

antitrop

Dying Light may end up being the most average game of 2015. From what I've played so far, it's the very definition of gaming mediocrity.

Still a huge step up from Dead Island, but that's saying very little.

All these posts caring about one person's opinion when you have hundreds of other opinions out there.

Who cares?

People get real obsessed with Metacritic for some reason, and they see any negative review as something that's gonna affect the game's average negatively. As to why, who the fuck knows? It's crazy.

I want as many opinions out there as possible. I wanna read reviews by people that love the game, people that think it's mediocre, and people that despise the game.

I've been loving the game so far from the four hours I've played of it, but at the same time don't get why it's so important that other people love it as much as I do.

Some people want their purchases validated by external forces, just liking the game isn't enough for them. I don't get it either.

Real Hero

All these posts caring about one person's opinion when you have hundreds of other opinions out there.

Who cares?

It's a review thread on a gaming forum. Of course people care what popular personalities think. That being said, it's dumb to get mad when they don't agree with you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost as if he has been writing for different websites between the release of the two games.

And also as if expectations evolve and change.

Dead Island was fresh at the time, but taking that formula, removing any originality and replacing it with a bunch of AAA open-world trends doesn't sound like the best idea. It may be their highest quality work, but that doesn't mean it deserves a higher score than their past, more original efforts.

Never really agreed with any of that guys reviews. Always seems like he's just trying to get attention. Opinions are opinions. I've been enjoying the game way more than I thought I would.

Slixshot

Banned

Because your opinion has to be the same as mine! IT HAS TO BE!!!! :)

Dying Light may end up being the most average game of 2015. From what I've played so far, it's the very definition of gaming mediocrity.

Still a huge step up from Dead Island, but that's saying very little.

You're very much in the minority here, so I doubt it will.

Top Bottom