• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamma

Dylann Roof has been sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members during a Bible study in Charleston, South Carolina.

Roof was convicted last month of 33 federal charges, including murder and hate crimes. They jury returned after deliberating over his sentence for about three hours on Tuesday to announce their decision that he should be executed.

Earlier on Tuesday, Roof had told the court he was not sure “what good it would do” to ask jurors for life in prison instead of execution, showing no remorse for the massacre.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...sentenced-to-death-charleston-church-shooting

This obviously what he wanted so I'm disappointed, but I hear it takes year, sometimes even decades before they actually put people down. Best case scenario, he rots for 10-20 years and people forget about him and he's offed unceremoniously.

kmax

I'm glad that he's sentenced and found guilty in the eyes of the law. However, capital punishment is not, and will never be the answer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This obviously what he wanted so I'm disappointed, but I hear it takes year, sometimes even decades before they actually put people down. Best case scenario, he rots for 10-20 years and people forget about him and he's offed unceremoniously.

Its usually much more expensive to actually get someone the death penalty than just keeping them in prison with all the lawyer fees, appeals and so on.

_Ryo_

Capital punishment is wrong, also its what he wanted, also its the easy way out.

Should have to live out the rest of his life in prison.

6aPPeR3.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm usually against the death penalty due to fears that an innocent person would get killed for a crime they did not commit.

I'm struggling to disagree with this sentence, however.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I go back and forth on the death penalty but if there was ever a case where it is justified it's this one.

Hazmat

I don't condone the death penalty, but this was a forgone conclusion in a jurisdiction that allows it given how terrible his crimes were. I would have voted against it if I were on the jury, but you're not going to catch me protesting to save this shitstain's life.

I don't agree with capital punishment at all, in any circumstances, but "they gave him what he wanted" is completely irrelevant. You don't determine a punishment by trying to psyche-out the convicted. The state has the death penalty, this is the kind of crime they have it for at the very least, therefore.

Mixed feelings, but yeah, they probably shouldn't have given him what he wanted. Allowing him to rot in the smallest box we can legally put him in would have been better.

I'm usually against the death penalty due to fears that an innocent person would get killed for a crime they did not commit.

I'm struggling to disagree with this sentence, however.

If you disagree with capital punishment for reasons that it could (and likely has) executed innocent people, you have to disagree with its use in all circumstances.

I oppose capital punishment for this reason and Dylan Roof does not sway me from this conviction.

Don't agree with the death penalty. I don't think anything good comes out of more death.

Dylann Roof should be imprisoned for life. Not given a way out like he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom