• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof (neo-Nazi Charleston church shooter) found guilty on all counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Awesome, and as expected.

I'd rather him have life in solitary confinement or something. Something that's similar to a life long torture chamber but is legal for us to do. I hope he goes crazy and beats his head off the walls and shit. He deserves worse torture than what's probably humanly possible.

LifEndz

Eh. I'm torn.

I'm anti death penalty due its racist application, but I won't shed a tear if he gets it.

However, it seems he wants it, so he shouldn't get it and become a martyr.

As am I. I want him to live a life inside a prison surrounded by other horrible people with nothing but time to think about what he did.

Fantastic. Let him rot in the deepest, darkest prison for the rest of his life. Make every day a living hell for him. Death would be too easy for him.

Mimosa97

I hope they don't make this POS a martyr. Just give him life without parole. He'll spend the rest of his time on earth in solitary. He'll prob end up going crazy but that's the least he deserves.

Hope the families can get some closure.

Kinyou

Pretty sure Roof wants the death penalty for the quick out and the martyrdom. I'd rather he slowly lose his mind in prison and die unknown and without media slobbering over it

Doesn't it usually take forever until someone gets executed? I believe he'll spend plenty of time in a cell

MoeDabs

Some of you should really check your bloodlust. The guy is a piece of shit but some of your replies are disturbing .

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Some of you should really check your bloodlust. The guy is a piece of shit but some of your replies are disturbing .

i hear ya man, but if im being honest here, i can't help the way i feel about this piece of murdering shit. i want him in general population. fuck this solitary confinement crap. i want him to fear for his life on a daily basis.

Enzom21

I expected a guilty verdict, no wiggle room for the "I can't in good conscience convict." that black victims seem to get from juries.

Pretty sure Roof wants the death penalty for the quick out and the martyrdom. I'd rather he slowly lose his mind in prison and die unknown and without media slobbering over it

Whatever he wants, I hope he gets the opposite.

Bloodlust? He killed nine people because they were black. Fuck him and anyone who has sympathy for him.

More or less disturbing than killing nine people in a church after joining them for bible study

It's ok to want bad things for demonstrably terrible people, even if you're a "liberal"

All y'all predicting he was gonna walk or asking why the jury was taking "so long" or lamenting that there was even a trial--you need the same remedial civics classes Trump voters do.

Hoping that a mass murdering piece of human garbage dies a painful death, if that makes me a bad person, I am okay with that. I hope the rest of his life is lived in total, abject fear of the world around him.

Sushi Nao

I think that worry about propagation and reinforcement of internet empathy gap is worth discussion, though it might not make much headway in here. Give it some thought, make it a thread? I'd be interested in talking about it.

I'm against the death penalty in all aspects. No exception here.

The guy is guilty, he should be in prison for the rest of his life. I don't wish him (or any other prisoner guilty of similar crimes) any additional ill beyond that. The people wishing him harm.... on the one hand, I suppose I understand. But on the other, be better than that. Not for him, but for you.

Vibranium

Banned
Don't give him what he wants with death penalty. Lock him up (as so many people seem to love to chant these days) and have him grow to be a very old man in there.

Eye for an eye is never the way to go. Many of these people may never change but we have to honor basic human rights, even for the lowest of the low.

Biske

In cases like this where it's so crystal clear, I think we should just do the death penalty and move on.

Obviously the death penalty has many flaws and problems in a society.

But in this instance, it couldn't be more clear.

So having him serve at least 15 years in prison while the whole process of death row goes along, let alone even more decades and then appeals and etc etc, just be done with it.

There is no amount of "Making him pay" that will ever matter or mean anything, instead we waste all that money.

There is also the idea that over time could learn and could be an example that violence isn't the way and stuff like that.

But really whats the point.

DedValve

Banned
Good. Condolences to the family and glad to see that the system isn't totally broken yet.

All the games consoles and all the games, but no controllers.

360, a copy of bayonetta, a kinect and a promise of freedom if he can get pure platinum on all chapters.

EDIT: Bayonetta is a good game even with kinect. Give him Ninja Gaiden 3 or some shit.

zeemumu

Actually I was thinking the exact same thing,
What if there's one juror who couldn't convict, like the other trial?

Probably something like
wweYpML.gif

followed by a retrial

I respect a different opinion, but for me, the point is it's the state killing someone who poses no imminent lethal threat. If he's in the act, by all means, protect the population. This is after the fact, what's done is done. Lock him up, lose the key, but keep him alive and safe from harm.

Biske

I respect a different opinion, but for me, the point is it's the state killing someone who poses no imminent lethal threat. If he's in the act, by all means, protect the population. This is after the fact, what's done is done. Lock him up, lose the key, but keep him alive and safe from harm.

I totally understand that.

But why spend that money on him, when we could give it to someone who needs help or medical care, or food, etc?

In my mind, when its absolutely clear someone has done a such a crime, should just end it.

No a lot of cases would fit this, but ones like this sure do.

_Ryo_

1. I am against the death penalty, unconditionally.
2. This monster wants the death penalty so that he'll become a martyr.

But why spend that money on him, when we could give it to someone who needs help or medical care, or food, etc?

In my mind, when its absolutely clear someone has done a such a crime, should just end it.

Money isn't real. We can keep him alive and serve other interests at the same time, there isn't a choice to be made. When we literally have no food or medicine, then we can talk about prioritization.

SheHateMe

I wish I was better, but I'm not. I'm against the death penalty, but there's this... something inside of me that wants this little fucker to die as painfully as humanly possible.

I wish I could just accept him getting life in prison, but part of me feels like that's a cop out. I wish I could accept him getting the needle, but another part of me feels like that's a cop out.

I don't wish harm on him, yet I want him to be harmed. Am I hypocritical? Possibly.

I'm torn right now, between trying to be better and letting him just rot peacefully and enabling my basic animal instincts and letting some insect from the Amazon crawl up his urethra and eat his insides slowly.

Again, I wish I was better.

But I'm not.

Did he really represent himself?

How did that go?

"For a while, I wasn't going to shoot them, your honor; but then I remembered the race war. But they were really nice, your honor. That's what matters."

Peltz

Retribution is a form of justice that underpins our legal system. The other is rehabilitation.

Both have their justifications.

Mesousa

Banned
If you kill the guy he wins. He doesn't learn a damn thing. Let the departed haunt his dreams every night for the next 50 years.

He doesnt care about the people he killed. There is nothing to haunt him.

He needs to be hung from a tree. Anything less is a miscarriage of justice.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, the prosecution wrapped up yesterday, Defense and closing arguments and jury deliberations are over. What possible defense did the defense offer?

Xe4

Banned

Many people don't...

Again though, the death penalty is more expensive. You talk about getting rid of the appeals, which would make it cheaper but sets up a shit precedent, is unethical as fuck, and at that point the US is no better than China with regards to the death penalty. The appeals process is there for a reason.

Retribution is a form of justice that underpins our legal system. The other is rehabilitation.

Both have their justifications.

No they don't. Retribution is absolutely not what the justice system is for. Either you go to prison to get reformed, or go there to be away from society, not to carry out some sick sense of revenge on someone. This isn't the dark ages, there is no excuse for executing someone.

Mega

Banned
i hear ya man, but if im being honest here, i can't help the way i feel about this piece of murdering shit. i want him in general population. fuck this solitary confinement crap. i want him to fear for his life on a daily basis.

Same, but isn't this wishful thinking? I thought prison populations have neo-Nazi groups that watch each others back. He would be welcomed with open arms and have a crew.

In cases like this where it's so crystal clear, I think we should just do the death penalty and move on.

So having him serve at least 15 years in prison while the whole process of death row goes along, let alone even more decades and then appeals and etc etc, just be done with it.

There is no amount of "Making him pay" that will ever matter or mean anything, instead we waste all that money.

There is also the idea that over time could learn and could be an example that violence isn't the way and stuff like that.

But we can't make a legal distinction between "regular probably guilty" and "everyone knows it guilty". That's not possible and will never be possible.

Also jesus christ at believing retribution underpins our legal system

Mark L

I guarantee you that your "crystal clear" standard will be used by and large against minorities. I likewise guarantee you that, in the short run or long run, it will be used against INNOCENT minorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom