• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Empathy is not sympathy. What makes a person do something like that? Probably something awful. The poster's point is also an allusion to how genes, environment, and biology are ultimately the causes of our actions and thoughts.

I didn't write shit about sympathy. I have no desire to try an understand why some racist murdered 9 black people, fuck him and anyone suggesting we should.

I'm suggesting people think critically about choice and agency, and about justice beyond the status quo. I view retribution as wholly pernicious.

That would require us to not be ruled by emotion and to believe we don't really have any agency in the classical sense which is not a fun thought.

I didn't write shit about sympathy. I have no desire to try an understand white some racist murdered 9 black people, fuck him and anyone suggesting we should.

But to figure out how to fix this from happening again we have to figure out why it happened.

LionPride

Banned
For people saying murdered, that's too easy of a word. He massacred them, he wanted to do it. He didn't just shoot them a couple times, he unloaded entire clips.

Kill. Him.

Nepenthe

I don't want to hear about sympathy for a murdering white supremacist from members who had a tough time dealing with whether or not white people should say the n-word to black people.

So he gets the easy way out? Man, he would suffer more in jail for life. I don't agree with this.

I probably wouldn't worry. It takes quite a long while before it's actually carried out, so either way, he'll most likely be an easy target for prisoners, especially black inmates.

And he'll deserve it, each & every day that he's still alive.

For people saying murdered, that's too easy of a word. He massacred them, he wanted to do it. He didn't just shoot them a couple times, he unloaded entire clips.

Kill. Him.

That's why I'm all for death penalty. I'm all for death penalty when the case is as clear cut as this. There is no doubt on what he did! I'm not for death penalty if the evidence isn't clear, like a murder or something. This isn't murder, this is a massacre. He deserves death.

Mesousa

Banned
That's why I'm all for death penalty. I'm all for death penalty when the case is as clear cut as this. There is no doubt on what he did! I'm not for death penalty if the evidence isn't clear, like a murder or something. This isn't murder, this is a massacre. He deserves death.

This is a perfectly rational liberal viewpoint.

I didn't write shit about sympathy. I have no desire to try an understand why some racist murdered 9 black people, fuck him and anyone suggesting we should.
Yeah, fuck all those psychologists and neuorscientists trying to make the world a better place!

13ruce

Banned

Kill. Him.

It may sound sadistic but in my opinion they may even torture him to death giving a needle for this sort of crime is a easy way out.

I ain't got no blood lust. But I will be damned if I feel sorry for a racist piece of shit who murdered 9 people because they were black. I forgot he is white so I need to feel sorry for him. Those black folks he murdered weren't angels.

Guys..what drove him to do this? Did he leave a manifesto behind? Probably not. Anyone could have chosen a black church because black people were in it and they want to kill black people. Anyone. You never know. You might just want to kill black people one day. Don't you want sympathy and understanding for the day YOU snap? Just saying..

Enzom21

That would require us to not be ruled by emotion and to believe we don't really have any agency in the classical sense which is not a fun thought.

But to figure out how to fix this from happening again we have to figure out why it happened.

I always find it fascinating that we have understand or figure out a reason why someone murders people when the murderer is white.
We know why he killed these people, he is a racist who lives in a society built around white supremacy.
A society that doesn't view black people as victim when they're being victimized.
A society where a supposed "ally" doesn't understand why he shouldn't say "nigger" and then tells people we should show empathy towards a man who slaughtered nine black people.
There is nothing more to understand about this piece of shit.

Yeah, fuck all those psychologists and neuorscientists trying to make the world a better place!

You have some links to psychologists and neuroscientists suggesting we should show empathy toward Roof?

ChouGoku

giphy.gif

On one end Dylan Roof is not someone I would cry if they died. On the other hand unless you are torturing someone to death (something we shouldnt do), I don't see the point of killing him. Death is a way out, suffering in prison is the better option. And I dont mean prison rape or getting his ass whooped but being locked in a cage is not something humans look forward to.

It wouldn't change my position if they were all also serial killers. You're essentially sarcastically implying that I'm a racist because you're uninterested in what I'm talking about. It's a pretty shitty thing to do.

Nah fuck your bullshit bruh. Fuck all that thinking "critically" bullshit you talking about. This fucking piece of shit wrote a manifesto, even admitted that he had second thoughts about killing them because they welcomed him into the church, and then proceeded to kill them anyway. This piece of shit knew what he was doing and is proud of it and has no regrets. I'm supposed to feel sorry for him? Fuck that. It's funny when white people commit heinous crimes and get punished all of a sudden we have to worry about their mental health and feel sorry for them. If you want to pretend to feel sorry for him and care about his mental health so that you can feel superior to us emotional creatures than go the fuck ahead. In the end you ain't really about shit and you ain't special. So you can sit the fuck down and go somewhere with that bullshit

psaman17

Banned
I guess the same reason you interpreted my apathy to Roof's fate as me being okay with the death penalty being used against innocent people.

Had he gotten life in prison, I wouldn't have honestly cared either. Either way, he wasn't going to see the light of day as a free man ever again. However, it is very easy to ignore what is going to happen to him while still arguing against the death penalty being instated, just as I can, again, be anti-gun while not being in any way bothered when ISIL members get shot. Again, being against a system as a whole isn't mutually exclusive with being personally bothered by specific instances of that system.

Yes thats called being a hypocrite.

"I DONT APPROVE of the DP but i'll allow an exception this time"

LionPride

Banned
Nah fuck your bullshit bruh. Fuck all that thinking "critically" bullshit you talking about. This fucking piece of shit wrote a manifesto, even admitted that he had second thoughts about killing them because they welcomed him into the church, and then proceeded to kill them anyway. This piece of shit knew what he was doing and is proud of it and has no regrets. I'm supposed to feel sorry for him? Fuck that. It's funny when white people commit heinous crimes and get punished all of a sudden we have to worry about their mental health and feel sorry for them. If you want to pretend to feel sorry for him and care about his mental health so that you can feel superior to us emotional creatures than go the fuck ahead. In the end you ain't really about shit and you ain't special. So you can sit the fuck down and go somewhere with that bullshit

Like, a 19 year old dude did this. He was accepted into the church, mulled it over and was like "Yeah Imma kill these Niggers because F them." He is a terrible piece of trash who does not deserve to be alive. Who did not deserve to be able to grab BK with the cops, who does not deserve to live. He was declared mentally stable. He basically looked at his mom and said "Sorry Ma, but fuck them niggas.

You have some links to psychologists and neuroscientists suggesting we should show empathy toward Roof?

Why are there so many people in this thread conflating any moral or scientific objections to the death penalty in this case with sympathy for Roof? Nobody is sympathising with the mass murderer.

This entire thread is incredibly disturbing.

Enzom21

Why are there so many people in this thread conflating any moral or scientific objections to the death penalty in this case with sympathy for Roof? Nobody is sympathising with the mass murderer.

I am not conflating a damn thing. I am directly addressing Mr. "ally's" suggestion that we show any empathy toward a dude who murdered nine black people simply because they were black.

im usually very anti-death penalty, but man, fuck this murderer forever. the world is a safer place without him.

for everyone saying "I wish he could stay in jail for life and suffer, he's getting off easy" maybe you can tone down the bloodlust long enough to realize you are trying to get your state violence kicks and want to eat your cake too

I always find it fascinating that we have understand or figure out a reason why someone murders people when the murdered is white.
We know why he killed these people, he is a racist who lives in a society built around white supremacy.
A society that doesn't view black people as victim when they're being victimized.
A society where a supposed "ally" doesn't understand why he shouldn't say "nigger" and then tells people we should show empathy towards a man who slaughtered nine black people.
There is nothing more to understand about this piece of shit.

I am a neuroscientist. I will one day be a doctor. Your answer of why he did this falls short for me because there are a lot of racists as the recent election showed us. I agree completely about society's shortcomings in this area. But to say this is open and shut racism is to miss the point of how to combat it. Extrapolating this same point of view to suicide essentially leads to us throwing our hands up. What he did is horrific beyond words. I want to figure out how to stop it. Changing society will help but the greater issue of home grown terrorism is unlikely to stop soon.

LionPride

Banned
I am not conflating a damn thing. I am directly addressing Mr. "ally's" suggestion that we show any empathy toward a dude who murdered nine black people simply because they were black.

Again, murder is to easy of a word

Slaughter maybe

I am a neuroscientist. I will one day be a doctor. Your answer of why he did this falls short for me because there are a lot of racists as the recent election showed us. I agree completely about society's shortcomings in this area. But to say this is open and shut racism is to miss the point of how to combat it. Extrapolating this same point of view to suicide essentially leads to us throwing our hands up. What he did is horrific beyond words. I want to figure out how to stop it. Changing society will help but the greater issue of home grown terrorism is unlikely to stop soon.

You wanna know what I don't care about in this case, understanding the mind of someone willing to slaughter a minority, write a manifesto, and not apologize for it

Nepenthe

Bringing up Roof's genes, his environment, his parenthood- everything to excuse or downplay just plain ol' white supremacy which does a better job than people would like to admit at dehumanizing black people to the point that it makes it easy for teenagers to go on killing sprees like this- comes across as asking for sympathy and understanding, or at the least is concern trolling about his mental health, when black people by and large are not afforded this same luxury and call for debate and understanding.

It's a shtick that gets old real fucking quick.

Enzom21

Changing how society views black people would be a huge step in the right direction. Society also needs to stop making excuses for white muderers.
Again, murder is to easy of a word

Slaughter maybe

You wanna know what I don't care about in this case, understanding the mind of someone willing to slaughter a minority, write a manifesto, and not apologize for it
While he more than likely felt what he was doing as nothing more than slaughtering cattle, I feel uneasy using that descriptor for their murders.

Changing how society views black people would be a huge step in the right direction. Society also needs to stop making excuses for white muderers.

While he more than likely felt what he was doing as nothing more than slaughtering cattle, I feel uneasy using that descriptor for their murders.

It would be a huge first step. In my neurocentric world, excuse and motive don't mean much to me but I agree with your point. There is still something we can learn here. This was the wrong person in the wrong environment in the wrong society. We can and need to focus on trying to work on fixing all three of those things. Still, I swore the hippocratic oath. My personal opinions on agency are not those of society and I completely agree society gives the benefit of the doubt on racial/ethnic lines but I still can't endorse the death penalty for anyone.

Bringing up Roof's genes, his environment, his parenthood- everything to excuse or downplay just plain ol' white supremacy which does a better job than people would like to admit at dehumanizing black people to the point that it makes it easy for teenagers to go on killing sprees like this- comes across as asking for sympathy and understanding, or at the least is concern trolling about his mental health, when black people by and large are not afforded this same luxury and call for debate and understanding.

It's a shtick that gets old real fucking quick.

And what exactly is killing him going to teach anyone? Nothing. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

The notion that we can justify the state killing anybody under any circumstances is morally repugnant.

LionPride

Banned

I can't use murder. When I think murder I don't think unloading entire mags into people. I don't think mutilating bodies to the point of them being unrecognizable. I don't think any of that. I think more of just a shot or two. A couple stabs. Not what Roof did.

I am a very emotional person and I believe strongly in the things I write about and fuck your bullshit and anti-intellectual rhetoric and race baiting.

A call against retribution is not racist. It is humanist.

I don't have to argue with people here about race. Almost everyone here recognizes the immorality of slavery and segregation, persecution, murder, the ugliness of racism, its subversiveness and indisduous veins in our culture and institutions. They don't need to be convinced. But there are a whole lot of people here espousing and relishing retribution without rationality, without introspection or examination.

When I confront white conservatives about questioning their racism and prejuidices, I'm met with similar responses to yours. People don't like thinking about their own self-perceived ugliness.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Against death penalty. Even for monsters.

Makes us become monsters too and justify violence as an answer.

It's about revenge. Not justice.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Roof sentenced to death... Trump's world crumbling...
Today was a good day.

Guys..what drove him to do this? Did he leave a manifesto behind? Probably not. Anyone could have chosen a black church because black people were in it and they want to kill black people. Anyone. You never know. You might just want to kill black people one day. Don't you want sympathy and understanding for the day YOU snap? Just saying..

Very funny. You almost had me for a second.

Enzom21

I'm sure you think you're justified in targeting and harassing me. Rest assured, you are not.

So now we've come to point of threads involving race where the white "ally" claims victimization after push back when they post shitty things.

You have those links where psychologists and neuroscientists discuss showing empathy toward a piece of shit who murdered nine black people.
More worried about how people treat a murderer than you are about the people he murdered.

My only opposition to the death penalty is that there's a non-zero chance you kill an innocent person, so as an institution, I oppose the practice. But damned if I care about this guy's execution. If there's a Hell, he can rot there forever.

I don't agree with capital punishment at all, in any circumstances, but "they gave him what he wanted" is completely irrelevant. You don't determine a punishment by trying to psyche-out the convicted. The state has the death penalty, this is the kind of crime they have it for at the very least, therefore.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. To anyone posting that, if I shot 9 people and then said in court, "I really want to be convicted of these crimes and go to jail" would y'all be voting not guilty as jurors? I doubt that.

So now we've come to point of threads involving race where the white "ally" claims victimization after push back when they post shitty things.

You have those links where psychologists and neuroscientists discuss showing empathy toward a piece of shit who murdered nine black people.
More worried about how people treat a murderer than you are about the people he murdered.
Stop spouting anti-intellectual shit bro.
/s

5925796628_b489893bd3_b.jpg

You often respond to my posts in various threads sarcastically calling me an "ally" because of a thread where we essentially talked past one another for pages on end until you related a truly horrifying personal story. It still doens't justify this and it needs to stop.

Barzul

I'd prefer life in prison. In solitary or something like that. I just don't think death is really punishment. It really just satisfies the living. Also, this case being a slam dunk masks the many failings of the death penalty which I am very much against.

Neuroscientists don't write papers telling people to empathize, they just try to explain human behavior and thoughts through science. Agency and choice do not enter the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom