• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof sentenced to death for the murders of nine black church members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

And what exactly is killing him going to teach anyone? Nothing. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

The notion that we can justify the state killing anybody under any circumstances is morally repugnant.

Imprisoning him for life won't teach racists and their sympathizers/those who've drunk the Kool-Aid anything either, at least to any discernible effect. Note, I don't really care what happens to Roof so long as he never comes out of prison ever again. If his death penalty were appealed, I'd probably roll my eyes but I wouldn't be angry or anything.

But I am tired of people trying to wrangle secret wisdom and 'debates' and 'conversations' from white perpetrators of hate crimes while ignoring the wisdom from the actual victims of these crimes. I'm tired of black abuse being relegated to a fucking curiosity, an academic exercise, a chance for people to grandstand and concern troll about mental illness, when they don't extend this same kind of novelty towards other people who commit heinous acts. Maybe if we collectively had this kind of concern for out and out racism and white supremacy, we'd actually be farther along than we are right now.

To those calling for sympathy or life for Roof:

What can you learn about Roof that his killings haven't told us? What can you learn that his writing hasn't said?

He has no value. He will join his disgusting idol Hitler in nothingness, the erasure of his existence, and for all your tut tutting you are powerless to stop it. His time is up, and that is the price he paid to kill innocent people.

After that, he will not exist. He won't harm. He won't hate. He won't feel. He won't be able to think his grotesque thoughts anymore. He'll be nothing.

He is nothing. Save your sympathies for the innocents he sent to the ultimate horror: the end of everything. Their hopes, their fears, their love: stolen. If you were black, it could've been you. Then some **learned** forum users could have tut tutted about the person who destroyed you and sympathy.

Use your lives better. Learn something from these tragedies. Quit wasting your existence and pity on a human with no worth like Roof.

Against death penalty. Even for monsters.

Makes us become monsters too and justify violence as an answer.

It's about revenge. Not justice.

Just a thought experiment:

If there was a pill you could take (or some other quick action that took less than a month) to rehabilitate a person, would you be okay with that for any crime? In fact, one can't even claim that life in prison is different from revenge since you can't argue you're rehabilitating a person you'll never free.

Either the goal is rehab or revenge; if the former, then you'd have to accept someone like Roof taking a pill and walking out a free man a few months after his spree. If the latter, then you have to accept a vengeful society instead of a caring one.

I guess you could argue for a bit of both, but that just seems to weaken both positions.

besada

Banned
Everyone needs to reel it in a couple of notches. If you can't discuss this without accusing each other of ulterior motives, I'll clear the thread of folks doing it.

Imprisoning him for life won't teach racists and their sympathizers/those who've drunk the Kool-Aid anything either, at least to any discernible effect. Note, I don't really care what happens to Roof so long as he never comes out of prison ever again. If his death penalty were appealed, I'd probably roll my eyes but I wouldn't be angry or anything.

But I am tired of people trying to wrangle secret wisdom and 'debates' and 'conversations' from white perpetrators of hate crimes while ignoring the wisdom from the actual victims of these crimes. I'm tired of black abuse being relegated to a fucking curiosity, an academic exercise, a chance for people to grandstand and concern troll about mental illness, when they don't extend this same kind of novelty towards other people who commit heinous acts. Maybe if we collectively had this kind of concern for out and out racism and white supremacy, we'd actually be farther along than we are right now.

I research the circuits underpinning mental illness. I want to treat mental illness. There is a lot to learn about why one of many racists goes on a horrific murder spree as opposed to just stewing and "silently" supporting the system and society that engendered these thoughts. I extend this same "novelty" to everyone but you are right that a lot of people don't. There are definitely people who do feign caring about mental illness only when a white teen commits a heinous crime and not when anyone does.

Just a thought experiment:

If there was a pill you could take (or some other quick action that took less than a month) to rehabilitate a person, would you be okay with that for any crime? In fact, one can't even claim that life in prison is different from revenge since you can't argue you're rehabilitating a person you'll never free.

Either the goal is rehab or revenge; if the former, then you'd have to accept someone like Roof taking a pill and walking out a free man a few months after his spree. If the latter, then you have to accept a vengeful society instead of a caring one.

I guess you could argue for a bit of both, but that just seems to weaken both positions.

Maybe not anytime soon or as easy as you say it, but mental illness treatments are advancing very quickly and some super advanced TMS/TCDS type contraption could certainly do something like what you are saying.

Enzom21

You often respond to my posts in various threads sarcastically calling me an "ally" because of a thread where we essentially talked past one another for pages on end until you related a truly horrifying personal story. It still doens't justify this and it needs to stop.

You're not a victim here. I responded to your silly call for empathy for a racist who murdered nine black people with a request to support your claim. You dropped a dog whistle so I referenced it. Can you provide links to these "various" threads? We weren't talking past each other in that thread. You felt it was counter productive to not allow white people to say nigger free of consequence, I felt otherwise.

I think what it boils down to is that topics that involve race draw people for whom it is the primary point of reference. What jumped out to me in this story was that in the United States we sentenced someone to death today. What jumped out to others is that a racist murderer was sentenced to the presumably harshest punishment we hand down and that this is completely justified. Perhaps Dylan Roof had complete agency and murdered those people out of true commital to his political racist cause. It may be that was the main motivation. That's not what I read in the interrogation footage, but I also didn't read his manifesto.

There are intersecting complex issues here that are important. The fact that I don't consider the emotional impact on those who view it from the above perspective is evidence of my own bias, but it is not sufficient to post fucking dog whistles.

You're not a victim here. I responded to your silly call for empathy for a racist who murdered nine black people with a request to support your claim. You dropped a dog whistle so I referenced it. Can you provide links to these "various" threads? We weren't talking past each other in that thread. You felt it was counter productive to not allow white people to say nigger free of consequence, I felt otherwise.
Yeah, and I changed my position in that thread regarding its use too, even if I thought it wasn't an effective lesson, which was my actual position. I recall at least one other thread where you did so, of course, you essentially did it like 10 times in that thread so I could just be misremembering that.

What did I post that you read as a dog whistle?

Maybe not anytime soon or as easy as you say it, but mental illness treatments are advancing very quickly and some super advanced TMS/TCDS type contraption could certainly do something like what you are saying.

Yeah, but my point is what do you do with such methods, if they exist?

I'm not crying over death sentence for this guy. Do I like death penalty? Eh not the biggest fan. Does that mean the dude isn't deserving of it? You go and tell the families this piece of shit ruined that "empathy and not retribution is the right way" and tell me how that goes over. If he rots in a cage it's not gonna make me feel any better than if they dispose of him. The dude is not a part of any of our lives but he is part of the lives of the people that were connected to the terror he spread.

So I am not really out here acepting arguments on the basis of empathy. This guy was not empathetic to any of those people he killed. Now we gotta sit here and wag our fingers like "this is not the way". The way to what? Fuck outta here. Him rotting in a box is not some moral victory. Who are people trying to fool?

The fact that I don't consider the emotional impact on those who view it from the above perspective is evidence of my own bias, but it is not sufficient to post fucking dog whistles.

Someone goes into a historically black church. A symbol of hope in the black community wearing Rodesia badges and murders black people praying and you think its okay to ignore any of the emotional and racial context? Of course that's a dog whistle, what fucking planet do you live on where that doesn't say anything about your priorities? You wanna extrapolate the mental state of a race based murderer but don't want to consider the real emotio al aspect of his actions at all?

You really have 0 reason to complain getting called out for that.

I'm not crying over death sentence for this guy. Do I like death penalty? Eh not the biggest fan. Does that mean the dude isn't deserving of it? You go and tell the families this piece of shit ruined that "empathy and not retribution is the right way" and tell me how that goes over. If he rots in a cage it's not gonna make me feel any better than if they dispose of him. The dude is not a part of any of our lives but he is part of the lives of the people that were connected to the terror he spread.

So I am not really out here acepting arguments on the basis of empathy. This guy was not empathetic to any of those people he killed. Now we gotta sit here and wag our fingers like "this is not the way". The way to what? Fuck outta here. Him rotting in a box is not some moral victory. Who are people trying to fool?

Keyboard warriors never want to volunteer to be the ones who have to tell the victims' families that the killer should get their sympathies. They want other people to do it.

Use them? Human's have no agency anyway so hopefully by then we realize the charade.

Using them means accepting a future where Roof goes free 2 weeks after his massacre. You can definitely back that up with some logical argument, but that's the position.

And your next line is a huge can of worms involving free will (or lack thereof) and what that means for things like law, crime, and the entire justice system.

besada

Banned
If you guys want to start a discussion on free will, go start a thread on it. There's already too much stuff that has very little to do with this particular case cluttering up the thread.

Keyboard warriors never want to volunteer to be the ones who have to tell the victims' families that the killer should get their sympathies. They want other people to do it.

Using them means accepting a future where Roof goes free 2 weeks after his massacre. You can definitely back that up with some logical argument, but that's the position.

And your next line is a huge can of worms involving free will (or lack thereof) and what that means for things like law, crime, and the entire justice system.

It does mean accepting that and I understand. Yea there is a huge can of worms there that no one wants to accept even though there is a ton of evidence in daily life. There is a huge disparity in how humans work and how the law and justice system think they work. This is exactly why I am posting here.

Scientific American has a good intro piece on free will and neuroscience though some of the most poignant examples are the ones I posted earlier about mice optogenetics (think controlling mice behavior with light).

Sorry just saw your post besada I am done with this diversion I can delete it if necessary sorry.

The death penalty is barbaric. He, and others guilty of similarly heinous crimes, should get life in prison and nothing more.

kind of amazed at all the people saying the death penalty is barbaric and inhuman yet a life spent in prison - an entire lifetime spent under constant surveillance and isolated in every way from society - is somehow acceptable.

Ryzaki009

kind of amazed at all the people saying the death penalty is barbaric and inhuman yet a life spent in prison - an entire lifetime spent under constant surveillance and isolated in every way from society - is somehow acceptable.

Yeah I don't get it either.

I understand being against the death penalty in cases where it's murky or in a he said/she said scenario (or even in the it cost more to kill them because of appeals). Because then it's not about it being barbaric but ineffective and having the potential to result in the wrongful execution of people who are innocent and were presumed to be guilty on wrongful charges. Otherwise, being forced in prison for the rest of your live to rot away? We're not talking about people who can get appealed and someday get back into society here. They're stuck in prison forever until death. There's no avoiding the situation being kind of messed up.

It's just dumb. The dude rotting in a cell for the next 60+ years of his life is not empathy. It's retribution, you just dont wanna say you literally took away his life even though he will live a shell of what most people consider a life. I am not all in on the death penalty but this shit is so cut and dry. The worst part about it is they'll waste a fuck ton of money getting it done. That is it.

Ron Mexico

If nothing else, it shows we as a collective still harbor a good deal of pro-capital punishment sentiment. I don't think that's a good or bad thing. Just is.

It's also just as ok to not be in lock step with every liberal or conservative idea. We're all humans. So if that means you're a progressive that still sees a place for the death penalty, so be it.

As for Roof, I think Tsarnaev sees the needle first, but he'll get his turn. I've wavered on the death penalty quite a bit over the years but without question, if there's going to be a case for its use, this is it.

If you guys want to start a discussion on free will, go start a thread on it. There's already too much stuff that has very little to do with this particular case cluttering up the thread.

Nah, I'll just stop.

Yeah I don't get it either.

I understand being against the death penalty in cases where it's murky or in a he said/she said scenario (or even in the it cost more to kill them because of appeals). Because then it's not about it being barbaric but ineffective and having the potential to result in the wrongful execution of people who are innocent and were presumed to be guilty on wrongful charges. Otherwise, being forced in prison for the rest of your live to rot away? We're not talking about people who can get appealed and someday get back into society here. They're stuck in prison forever until death. There's no avoiding the situation being kind of messed up.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up logically. A call for life in prison is still a call for revenge, just less revenge.

Someone goes into a historically black church. A symbol of hope in the black community wearing Rodesia badges and murders black people praying and you think its okay to ignore any of the emotional and racial context?
No, I don't. But questioning the merits of a desire for retribution is still salient. I'll leave it at that.

RevenWolf

Nah, I'll just stop.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up logically. A call for life in prison is still a call for revenge, just less revenge.

I feel that ignores two major positions. The first being that capital punishment can result in the death of an innocent party, and the second camp is about rehabilitation (such as how Norway does it).

I feel that ignores two major positions. The first being that capital punishment can result in the death of an innocent party, and the second camp is about rehabilitation (such as how Norway does it).

Not a single person (on the first page at least) is arguing either of these points (and the second one doesn't hold up anyway if we're talking life without parole. Rehab is pointless if you'll never be free).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The most reasonable reaction to this sort of news. Whatever you think of the death penalty, this ain't your best opportunity to take a lot of issue with it. Whether he sits in a cage for 60 years or gets executed, good riddance.

RevenWolf

Not a single person (on the first page at least) is arguing either of these points (and the second one doesn't hold up anyway if we're talking life without parole. Rehab is pointless if you'll never be free).

I was arguing the first one along with a few other posters actually. But I do agree that if no option for parole is present then rehabilitation is clearly not the goal of prison time anymore.

Never been a fan of the death penalty, especially due to it's bias towards Black inmates in America. But it also does nothing to deter other murders. If it did, then I at least could see the value in it.

I was arguing the first one along with a few other posters actually. But I do agree that if no option for parole is present then rehabilitation is clearly not the goal of prison time anymore.

That's fair. Like I said, I read the first page and then some change, so I didn't see every post.

Nepenthe

I research the circuits underpinning mental illness. I want to treat mental illness. There is a lot to learn about why one of many racists goes on a horrific murder spree as opposed to just stewing and "silently" supporting the system and society that engendered these thoughts. I extend this same "novelty" to everyone but you are right that a lot of people don't. There are definitely people who do feign caring about mental illness only when a white teen commits a heinous crime and not when anyone does.

I will concede, or make clear, that I don't think the study of mental disease is futile. Rather, I don't think it's particularly noble for people who may or may not be concern trolling to admonish those who are apathetic or even positive about the imprisonment of a "monster" for not automatically caring about trying to make a case study out of them in the sea of individuals who has brutalized black people over the centuries which, to us, will always live in a context where the passion underneath this study is not afforded to us in an equivalent manner, and thus comes across as inherently racially biased. If there is a legitimate mental illness argument to be made in this specific instance, surely it should be defined and made by professionals like yourself in a more tactful context, instead of being weaponized by armchair psychologists to apply guilt and finger-wagging onto black people for daring to not give a shit about a single racist's fate in the prison system.

There are intersecting complex issues here that are important. The fact that I don't consider the emotional impact on those who view it from the above perspective is evidence of my own bias, but it is not sufficient to post fucking dog whistles.

The bias itself is what has people hot under the collar, and it is also the result of why people are attributing your focus and the context of said focus to dog whistling.

TbNcmZR.jpg

I will concede, or make clear, that I don't think the study of mental disease is futile. Rather, I don't think it's particularly noble for people who may or may not be concern trolling to admonish those who are apathetic or even positive about the imprisonment of a "monster" for not automatically caring about trying to make a case study out of them in the sea of individuals who has brutalized black people over the centuries which, to us, will always live in a context where the passion underneath this study is not afforded to us in an equivalent manner, and thus comes across as inherently racially biased. If there is a legitimate mental illness argument to be made in this specific instance, surely it should be defined and made by professionals like yourself in a more tactful context, instead of being weaponized by armchair psychologists to apply guilt and finger-wagging onto black people for daring to not give a shit about a single racist's fate in the prison system.

The bias itself is what has people hot under the collar, and it is also the result of why people are attributing your focus and the context of said focus to dog whistling.

Agreed, I think it is pretty reasonable to support the death penalty here even if I personally don't. You wrote it out very well.

On a slightly different note, I do hope in the next 20-40 years we could have the capabilities to rehabilitate anyone though that is obviously not taken into account for a life without parole sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGXfVRVhZg

Can't say I take issue with this. While I go back and forth on the death penalty (in practice. I support it in theory), the removal of Roof's existence is only beneficial to society and I fully support his death.

If that makes me an awful person, so be it. You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

I disagree that rehabilitation is pointless for someone convicted of a life sentence. I truly don't think it's possible for us to treat someone like Roof (although some day it will be) but if someone could be rehabilitated it would be better for there overall quality of life even if they remain in prison.

I am a very emotional person and I believe strongly in the things I write about and fuck your bullshit and anti-intellectual rhetoric and race baiting.

A call against retribution is not racist. It is humanist.

I don't have to argue with people here about race. Almost everyone here recognizes the immorality of slavery and segregation, persecution, murder, the ugliness of racism, its subversiveness and indisduous veins in our culture and institutions. They don't need to be convinced. But there are a whole lot of people here espousing and relishing retribution without rationality, without introspection or examination.

When I confront white conservatives about questioning their racism and prejuidices, I'm met with similar responses to yours. People don't like thinking about their own self-perceived ugliness.
You have equated eating meat with slavery.

Don't. Even.

To those calling for sympathy or life for Roof:

What can you learn about Roof that his killings haven't told us? What can you learn that his writing hasn't said?

He has no value. He will join his disgusting idol Hitler in nothingness, the erasure of his existence, and for all your tut tutting you are powerless to stop it. His time is up, and that is the price he paid to kill innocent people.

After that, he will not exist. He won't harm. He won't hate. He won't feel. He won't be able to think his grotesque thoughts anymore. He'll be nothing.

He is nothing. Save your sympathies for the innocents he sent to the ultimate horror: the end of everything. Their hopes, their fears, their love: stolen. If you were black, it could've been you. Then some **learned** forum users could have tut tutted about the person who destroyed you and sympathy.

Use your lives better. Learn something from these tragedies. Quit wasting your existence and pity on a human with no worth like Roof.

Let's be real here, just because he's dead doesn't mean that him or the ideology he represents is going to just disappear. Everything he represents to people will live on in what he did, what he's written, and, unfortunately, even in you and me. I mean, you said it yourself, his idol was Hitler and they were separated by nearly fifty years. It doesn't matter whether someone's dead or alive -- what they did will forever be a part of our collective consciousness, as a part of our history.

The same goes for what caused him to do what he did -- actions and experiences, from people both past and present, shaped him and his worldview into something that allowed him to commit something as horrible as this. The only way to really keep stuff like this from happening in the future is understanding how it really happens. I think there's a lot more going on here than what he's written, just looking at his manifesto or his family history makes that pretty clear. Just imagine what could happen if someone broke through his ideology. If he could see the failure of his own way of thinking -- that it's not the answer.

Acting like death actually accomplishes something for us as a community and teaches us something is one slippery slope away from the same shit that leads to stuff like this -- pure dehumanization. What he did was fucked up (and the same goes for how he was treated by the police with stuff like getting BK) but hate just spawns more hate.

Unfortunately this kid has severe mental health issues and seems to be broken beyond repair. His brain isn't functioning correctly. Because he's clearly a danger to others and the severity of his crime I think the death penalty is ultimately appropriate.

9 times out of 10 I'd prefer scumbags like him get life in prison. Death is an easy way out for him, he deserves to rot behind bars. You can make the argument that us taxpayers are paying for it but to be perfectly honest, I'm content knowing that my money is going to locking filth like him in a cage for the next 70 or so years.

So he gets the easy way out? Man, he would suffer more in jail for life. I don't agree with this.

He's going to rot in jail for at least a decade before they toss out the trash. He most likely won't be in gen pop so nobody will be around to kick his ass on a daily basis. It'll become his normal and he won't be suffering like he should be.

Unfortunately this kid has severe mental health issues and seems to be broken beyond repair. His brain isn't functioning correctly. Because he's clearly a danger to others and the severity of his crime I think the death penalty is ultimately appropriate.
There's nothing wrong with him mentally other than his views and beliefs. That was taught, not a malfunction or chemical imbalance.

Let's be real here, just because he's dead doesn't mean that him or the ideology he represents is going to just disappear. Everything he represents to people will live on in what he did, what he's written, and, unfortunately, even in you and me. I mean, you said it yourself, his idol was Hitler and they were separated by nearly fifty years. It doesn't matter whether someone's dead or alive -- what they did will forever be a part of our collective consciousness, as a part of our history.

The same goes for what caused him to do what he did -- actions and experiences, from people both past and present, shaped him and his worldview into something that allowed him to commit something as horrible as this. The only way to really keep stuff like this from happening in the future is understanding how it really happens. I think there's a lot more going on here than what he's written, just looking at his manifesto or his family history makes that pretty clear. Just imagine what could happen if someone broke through his ideology. If he could see the failure of his own way of thinking -- that it's not the answer.

Acting like death actually accomplishes something for us as a community and teaches us something is one slippery slope away from the same shit that leads to stuff like this -- pure dehumanization. What he did was fucked up (and the same goes for how he was treated by the police with stuff like getting BK) but hate just spawns more hate.

I don't think breaking through ideology is as simple as you seem to suggest. We're talking about people who are stubborn about the way they see the world, it's going to take much more than a person/event/thing helping them realize the errors of their way. We're talking about breaking someone's viewpoint of the world, and that's very sensitive considering one's life experiences built up to that kind of thinking. That's not to say there haven't been people who broke free from poisonous ideology. The point is that no matter if you're pro-death/anti-death, at the end of the day, you still have to deal with people who are so deeply entrenched in that kind of toxic thinking that it's impossible to rehabilitate them back into society. It's not something that can be easily corrected, so how are you supposed to solve that problem?

royalan

I don't typically support the death penalty.

But then I think of those 9 faces, and how they invited this man to worship in their church. And he worshiped with them.

And then murdered them.

I won't be losing any sleep over this.

I wish they would humanely perform surgery on him once a month.

Just slowly cut pieces off until eventually there's just a head and torso.

Humanely, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom