• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof (neo-Nazi Charleston church shooter) found guilty on all counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind me why Roof isn't pleading guilty? I mean, on the first day of testimonies he chuckled and said "everyone knows I did it" like this is all a formality. I don't get what the defense's case is.

The defence's case is that he's fucking crazy.

So, Why is this taking so long?

They're not just debating on whether or not he did it , there are 33 charges to work through. They're ultimately deciding if they should put a person to death or not - regardless of how horrible he and his crimes were, that's not an easy thing for a group of people to come to consensus on.

Jeremy

They're not just debating on whether or not he did it , there are 33 charges to work through. They're ultimately deciding if they should put a person to death or not - regardless of how horrible he and his crimes were, that's not an easy thing for a group of people to come to consensus on.

Never thought about it like that. I'm sure even if it is easier in any aspect, there's still a lot of procedure to go through or maybe even having to explain a charge.

Xe4

Banned
Actually that comes later, on the 3rd. What they're doing now is just going through each charge one by one, and there may be a small disagreement about one individual charge or another. He's going to be found guilty on the vast majority of them, though.

Hazmat

The sentencing actually comes later. They're not deciding that, but the amount of charges will take time to get through.

Also, here's a thing about juries: they're legally forbidden to talk about the case with anyone (even other jurors) until the deliberation phase. They're going to talk about it a little bit before they decide, and their decision is on many different charges that aren't just written off like a checklist. Anyone that thinks this could literally take five minutes and that is mad that it didn't is ill-informed.

ElFly

No.

Even that should take no longer than 5 minutes. Fucker should be fried. Fuck compassion. Tired of the high road while motherfuckers gun innocent Black people at fucking Church. Him and anyone that does what he did should die slow.

Motherfucker kills all Black people and his jury is 73% White. Shit should be:
yAl8tlc.gif

we don't support the death penalty cause there's no way to fix an error if the system fails and condemns an innocent

this ain't racism; a good portion of the people wrongly killed by death penalty in the US are black

we don't support the death penalty cause there's no way to fix an error if the system fails and condemns an innocent

this ain't racism; a good portion of the people wrongly killed by death penalty in the US are black

Dylan Roof isn't the poster boy I'd use to justify not using the death penalty. I hope they put him down.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I assume they'll find him guilty. But hey, 2016.

I'd stay home for a couple of days if they didn't.

Death Penalty is a whole other conversation.

BTW I can't repeat this enough times.

DYLAN ROOF CITED MULTIPLE FAKE NEWS STORIES in his explanations of why he hated black people. including the item that is on Facebook pages TODAY "explaining" nonsense statistics like black people are more likely to kill people than cancer and so on.

Xe4

Banned
Dylan Roof isn't the poster boy I'd use to justify not using the death penalty. I hope they put him down.
It doesn't matter. There are fucking scumbags out there, and Roof is one of them. That doesn't mean he deserves to die, that's a barbaric way of dealing with justice. We as a society should be past the "eye for an eye" mentality.

RPGCrazied

Remember the Aurora shooter? He killed like 13 people in a theater, still chills me to this day, but he got life in prison. So Dylann probably will too.

NastyBook

It doesn't matter. There are fucking scumbags out there, and Roof is one of them. That doesn't mean he deserves to die, that's a barbaric way of dealing with justice. We as a society should be past the "eye for an eye" mentality.
We should be past fatal hate crimes, too, but here we are.

Fuck him.

You're really trotting this out in a thread where the person involved couldn't be any further from innocent?

Xe4

Banned
We should be past fatal hate crimes, too, but here we are.

Fuck him.
You're right, we should be. But the US Government has no direct control over that. We do have control over the death penalty, and it needs to be abolished for so many reasons.

Throw the book at him. Litetallly every book ever published, throw at him for the rest of his shitty worthless ugly life.

No paperbacks please.

Will wait for the end to feel whatever.

As a society we should be beyond a lot of things but we're not. Our next president shares a lot of the beliefs Roof has.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You're really trotting this out in a thread where the person involved couldn't be any further from innocent?

I think the point is that you can't have the death penalty applied inconsistently. The Central park teenagers ALSO "confessed" and were "definitely guilty"

Roof is absolutely guilty, but you can't have a "special" version of the death penalty when you're definitely sure this time.

Ethically I'd be fine if he is put down, but morally the death penalty is malfunctioning and needs to be either fixed or retired.

I think the point is that you can't have the death penalty applied inconsistently. The Central park teenagers ALSO "confessed" and were "definitely guilty"

There wasn't a mountain of evidence against them like this case, though.

Roof can burn in hell, and I'll shed no tears once he dies.

I think what bothers me more than anything is that he's still alive to begin with.

If he weren't a white 20 something, he'd have been gunned down before he could say "I surre". Let alone taken to fucking Burger King, lord knows that'll piss me off long after he gets the needle to the arm.

RPGCrazied

I think what bothers me more than anything is that he's still alive to begin with.

If he weren't a white 20 something, he'd have been gunned down before he could say "I surre". Let alone taken to fucking Burger King, lord knows that'll piss me off long after he gets the needle to the arm.

Once he gets into federal prison he will wish he was dead.

Morally, ethically, and economically, I don't agree with the death penalty.

But what I always say with cases like these is that I will not waste energy on someone like Roof if that is his sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom