• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyson launches Airblade Tap, a hand-drying water faucet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we still not have automatic sliding doors for public bathrooms?

Because of costs really. I would think having the angled halls leading to the rest room would be most cost effective at having the restroom "closed" off and not having to use a door. But then it takes up a lot more space.

rpmurphy

Because of costs really. I would think having the angled halls leading to the rest room would be most cost effective at having the restroom "closed" off and not having to use a door. But then it takes up a lot more space.
Yeah, I guess it just makes more sense to arrange the bathrooms to have open access. But it would be cool... :(

Airblades are the only hand driers I've ever considered to "work."

Otherwise I'm all Peter Griffin at the UN.

Either I'm dryer-challenged or they don't work for me. My hands are always wet when the thing turns off. It doesn't help that the air only comes on for like 3 seconds.

maMJZhK.gif

usea

I fucking hate these things. The gap isn't big enough and you get water from other people's hands and shit all over your own hands.

Paper towels are the best way. Air dryers suck ass. I don't want my hands just dry, I want to wipe shit off of them.

GhaleonEB

When one of these breaks, the results will be hilarious.

After our floor was renovated at work last year, the bathrooms went all motion sensor active for everything: urinals, toilets, soap dispenser, faucets and paper towels. Only they somehow got the set up wrong or not calibrated correctly, and they were generally way too hyper sensitive. Walking into the bathroom and past the urinals caused some of them to flush. Likewise walking past the paper towel dispenser caused them to crank out towels.

I had one day when I walked into the bathroom and, without actually doing anything, caused urinals to flush, faucets to turn on, soap to crank out and paper towels to dispense. It was terrifying, like some scene from Poltergeist.

They got things fixed up a week later. But it was a dark glimpse of how scary it will be when the machines start to take over.
I'm a fan of the excelerator thing, but I still prefer good old paper towels

Watch this video on how to use a paper towel. I am not kidding it is great and really works. Less enegry used and can increase the use of recycled materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMBSblpcrc

Yup, I've been doing this for a few months now, ever since I saw the video. I've probably save a spool of paper towels at work all on my lonesome at this point.

Go figure, Mitsubushi sucks at getting their product out there for 15 years. Their loss.

Yup, recognizing success and capitalizing on it seems to be endemic across all industries when it comes to Japanese companies.

I fucking hate these things. The gap isn't big enough and you get water from other people's hands and shit all over your own hands.

Paper towels are the best way. Air dryers suck ass. I don't want my hands just dry, I want to wipe shit off of them.

I believe the gaps in the Mitsubishi models I used in Japan all seemed to larger since I never had a clearance issue until I used one of the Dyson models. But yeah, that is pretty gross.

Shambles

I need my paper towel. What else am I going to use every day to grab the fecal-covered handle to get out of the bathroom at work everyday?

Cipherr

the less things I have to touch when I'm in a public restroom, the better

Yeah pretty much. A public restroom that uses the maze entry so there's no physical door, plus uses auto proximity hand drying systems, plus auto proximity soap dispensers and auto proximity water spouts is just fantastic. You don't have to touch anything some other nasty person has touched. Its great.

Seriously... god bless the men and women that came up with those ideas.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Heck, those dryers don't even work well... any of them. People put these in their bathrooms with no paper towels to save expense and time restocking paper towels, but I end up walking out of the bathroom wiping my hands on the back of my pants or something. It pisses me off to no end.

I worked at a company with a couple of those in the men's bathroom. It just didn't work out. They thought they could get rid of paper towels, but the hand dryers took too long and it ended up causing a "traffic jam" as it took longer to stick hands in the device than get a towel and keep moving while drying hands.

The airblade experiment lasted about a month.

3phemeral

But the Dyson looks awesome

dc2fffa70d4775b4ea2bb5d2f101486a.jpg

Whenever I try these at the airport, I always have to stick my hands in a few times to get all the water off. I've been watching the videos mentioning a 10-second dry time, but that never happens. So more like 20 seconds. Plus, as others have mentioned, the space between is so small, I'm bound to touch the sides. Supposedly that's all moot, as according to their videos, the air technology supposedly "blasts off" bacteria off your skin regardless.

P44

We have the airblade dryers in the labs here, they work...well, great. Hands dry quickly, and my hands never hit the sides. Thank god too, i'd hate to get some of the nasty metal complexes left on my hands. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom