• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Dyson hand dryers are actually the worst thing (500x germ spread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

University of Westminster researchers carrying out the research dipped their hands into water containing a harmless virus. They then dried their hands with either a Dyson Airblade, a standard hot-air dryer, or a paper towel.

According to their findings, the Dyson drier's 430mph blasts of air are capable of spreading viruses up to 3 meters across a bathroom. The standard drier spread viruses 75cm, and the hand towels 25cm.

More at the Link

This is just disgusting.....

giphy.gif

Close if viruses are old

kmag

The airblades are a terrible design, there's literally nowhere for the water the jet removes from your hands to go. It pools at the bottom of the hand gap and slowly drains away or evaporates.

Dennis

Banned
You germaphobes need to be realistic.

Every time you use a public restroom or restroom at work you are inhale shit particles from every other dude who previously took a dumb that day.

Nokterian

The airblades are a terrible design, there's literally nowhere for the water the jet removes from your hands to go. It pools at the bottom of the hand gap and slowly drains away or evaporates.

Did you know they even added in the wash sink these days with a blower next to it in theaters? At least here in the netherlands this is what i mean..not a great thing either..

I installed a bunch of these at work last year. Gunk definitely pools at the bottom.

This is the dumb thing to me. My guess is that it relies on janitors to clean out the devices... But that's just stupid. There has to be a better way. Letting it drip on the floor even would be better I think.

VariantX

You germaphobes need to be realistic.

Every time you use a public restroom or restroom at work you are inhale shit particles from every other dude who previously took a dumb that day.

Pretty much. The simple act of flushing the toilet without closing the lid likely creates a shit particle mist for everyone to breathe in.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Think about the poop molecules u fill your lungs w after someone farts

Lungs caked w poop

Farts are no laughing matter folks

kmag

Although to be fair to Dyson, tap handles themselves are probably a million times more problematic.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Dyson: charging more for worse products.

Has anyone ever used anything made by Dyson that actually did what it was supposed to do? Those air blade hand dryers are worse than the old school pressurless ones at drying hands. Those "bladeless" fans don't blow any air. Do the vaccuums work at least?

Do you guys wash your hands if you only took a piss and literally didn't touch a single thing in the bathroom besides your member?

Ryaaan14

Banned

Has anyone ever used anything made by Dyson that actually did what it was supposed to do? Those air blade hand dryers are worse than the old school pressurless ones at drying hands. Those "bladeless" fans don't blow any air. Do the vaccuums work at least?

Yea the vacuums are dope

Do you guys wash your hands if you only took a piss and literally didn't touch a single thing in the bathroom besides your member?

It begins

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Incredibly dumb device that solves a problem that never existed.
- Gunk collects at the bottom,
- Can blow whatever water you have on your hands, or the gunk below into your eys as it clearly sprays everything everywhere
- It can push your hands to touch the sides of the blower unless you hold them steady with a terminator-like firmness and precision.
- Doesn't dry any better than a simple paper towel or a regular dryer.

Terrible, superficial, overpriced design, like just about everything else from Dyson.

I think the vaccums are the only thing they make that works reasonably well, but then again you can buy other ones for a fraction of the price that work equally well.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Think about the poop molecules u fill your lungs w after someone farts

Lungs caked w poop

Farts are no laughing matter folks
What's more, the olfactory nerves are an exposed portion of the brain. When you smell a fart poop is touching your brain. Try going to sleep tonight knowing that.

kmag

The vacuums are legit, the ball is an excellent design as it is their dual cyclone they've been pretty hit or miss apart from that.

scogoth

I see so many people just run water over their hands for a few seconds.

Then it doesn't matter what drying method they use because then the touch the same handrail as you, touch the same door knob, probably even make your food when you eat out. Point is hand drying method is the most insignificant part of proper hygiene.

darscot

People hate on Dyson, I know this is GAF but it's still surprising. I've never heard someone talk negatively about their products, I have two vacuums and they are both very good products. Edit to appease the slang police.

I wash my hands with soap and water wouldn't this just mean you got some dookie fingers still lingering? The Dyson Airblades dries your hands so well, but if they are nasty, they are nasty, no amount of air drying going to solve that.

- Gunk collects at the bottom,
- Can blow whatever water you have on your hands, or the gunk below into your eys as it clearly sprays everything everywhere
- It can push your hands to touch the sides of the blower unless you hold them steady with a terminator-like firmness and precision.

Terrible, superficial, overpriced design, like just about everything else from Dyson.

So true. Those openings are so narrow. A centimeter or two off center and it's like what was the point of even washing my hands.

Yea the vacuums are dope

It begins

It's a legitimate question. The amount of antibacterial agents in soap and everyday products leads to antibacterial resistant bacteria and is rapidly exacerbating the spreading of MRSA. I absolutely abhor any bathroom that doesn't have hands free urinals, and it seems to me reducing your contact with antibacterial agents would probably have a larger net benefit then washing them excessively. I.E. if i don't have to touch a door handle, or any part of the urinal, why should I touch the sink? Also, having cleaned bathrooms, the amount of high strength antibacterial products that get used basically over every inch of the bathroom essentially means touching anything in there is probably going to give you contact with arguably some of the strongest bacteria in any public area.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
People hate on Dyson, I know this is GAF but it's still surprising. I've never heard someone shit on their products, I have two vacuums and they are both the bomb.
The products shit on you

Then it doesn't matter what drying method they use because then the touch the same handrail as you, touch the same door knob, probably even make your food when you eat out. Point is hand drying method is the most insignificant part of proper hygiene.

This is really it, it's just disgusting. I can't even count how many people I've seen go into bathrooms, whether it's #1 or #2 and just walk right out. It's not just scruffy looking people either, plenty of people in suits (that probably shake hands of clients all day) do the same thing. The only common factor being it's gross.

It's crazy the amount of paper towel waste these air-blades save. I don't remember the specifics but the City of LA buys an unfathomable amount of paper towels for LAX alone. Think multiple trips of multiple semi truck loads delivered over the course of a year or two. I used to work for a company that sold wholesale to municipalities and it blew my mind.

Until they prove these things are getting people sick, this article is nothing more that germaphobe FUD.

You can argue they made additional problems, but they were made to solve the problem of waste and save money.

Zombine

Banned
Every time someone leans over your food dead skin flakes falls all over it. That shit the dude is putting on your food at the fancy Italian restaurant? That's not Parmesan, it's skin flakes.

I used it once and touched the side of the airblade, had to wash my hands again, and then touched it again. After the second time I decided to just piss on my hands and walk out.

Paskil

The force of the drier will sometimes nudge your hands against the side of the drier, probably immediately making your hands dirty, just like touching the bathroom door handle after the numerous people that did the same without washing their hands.

Fuck, I work for the state Department of Health Services and I see motherfuckers walk out of the bathroom without washing. DO YOU NOT KNOW WHERE YOU WORK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom