• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Dyson hand dryers are actually the worst thing (500x germ spread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those dyson air dryers are poorly designed. There's one at work and all they do is accumulate water and the water will spill over the side onto the floor. We had to place a tray underneath it to collect all the water.

Jarrod38

Where we work at we have standard hand dyers after the maintenance people got tired of unclog the toilets when people would flush the paper towels down the toilets.

shaowebb

You think that's bad, wait until you see a toilet!

Actually the toilets themselves unless directly shat upon are relatively clean and harmless as urine is pretty sterile. The toilet and stall door HANDLES however come in contact with fecal matter constantly as the next step from the toilet paper (that can leak bacteria through to the fingers) is to the flusher and the door and also your clothing.

Have fun with that thought next time you grab a stall door lock or flusher :)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Actually the toilets themselves unless directly shat upon are relatively clean and harmless as urine is pretty sterile. The toilet and stall door HANDLES however come in contact with fecal matter constantly as the next step from the toilet paper (that can leak bacteria through to the fingers) is to the flusher and the door and also your clothing.

Have fun with that thought next time you grab a stall door lock or flusher :)
Uh, nah. Pee is nearly sterile when it exits the body, but it's also full of nutrients with very little to stop any kind of proliferation. If it sits out for more than 30 minutes or so it's chock full of germs.

I don't get the hate, those things just cut the water right off...yes, the water falls on the floor but it's a bathroom, and it's not much water. The place that's usually designed to have a bit of water on the floor.

cabot

My workplace didn't have any paper towels for about 6 weeks, and then about 2 weeks ago they removed the paper towel dispenser and added a dyson airblade V.

Are paper towels super expensive or something? I still struggle to understand this.

Jezbollah

My workplace didn't have any paper towels for about 6 weeks, and then about 2 weeks ago they removed the paper towel dispenser and added a dyson airblade V.

Are paper towels super expensive or something? I still struggle to understand this.

One is a consumable. The other is a static machine with a one off cost that runs on electricity. The latter will be cheaper over the long run than the former.

I used to have to clean these fucking things. They were so utterly disgusting at the end of a work day that I'd dedicate one rag to each of the five we had in the building. The filthy water would just run down the sides and leave all the residue and grime underneath the things, not to mention the little center bit and the seams on the sides.

I fucking hate stepping into a public restroom just to see only hand dryers. It's like.. well, I can touch everyone's filth or I can hold it. I think I'll hold it till I find an establishment that has paper towels and isn't run by savages.

cabot

One is a consumable. The other is a static machine with a one off cost that runs on electricity. The latter will be cheaper over the long run than the former.

I mean is the benefit that big to completely remove it? It seems like such a small thing. Paper towels are always better.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Yes. Sterile paper products are very expensive, they're one of the biggest costs in restaurants.

Keasar

Didn't Mythbusters run an episode that tested dryers vs. paper towels? Think the result was that paper towels were more efficient but you should of course also bloody use soap and water where the drying method after doesn't matter.

Also a air dryer is in the long-term cheaper and more environmentally efficient.

Germs are good for us they make me strong

It is true.

Being not that obsessive with cleanliness have helped me in the long run. I rarely get sick and I have no social obstructions with any fear of germs so I can do whatever I want. I'll touch the door handles of public bathrooms with my hands and come out just fine cause I still have a immune system that works.

It is almost hilarious how obsessive people are with cleanliness and germs when A: it exists all around us and B: your body handles 99% of it just fine.

Being not that obsessive with cleanliness have helped me in the long run. I rarely get sick and I have no social obstructions with any fear of germs so I can do whatever I want. I'll touch the door handles of public bathrooms with my hands and come out just fine cause I still have a immune system that works.

It is almost hilarious how obsessive people are with cleanliness and germs when A: it exists all around us and B: your body handles 99% of it just fine.
I'd say that it's good to limit one's exposure to pathogenic bacteria as much as possible, but mainly so we don't spread it to those who may be immunocompromised and won't handle it as well. A large number of people don't wash their hands because they don't see it as a necessity, but a lot of transmissions could be reduced if people just used soap and water. Bacteria are certainly ubiquitous, but they need a substrate to grow on.

Septimius

Didn't Mythbusters run an episode that tested dryers vs. paper towels? Think the result was that paper towels were more efficient but you should of course also bloody use soap and water where the drying method after doesn't matter.

Also a air dryer is in the long-term cheaper and more environmentally efficient.

It is true.

This is some very generalizing and misrepresentation of things. I don't see why George Carlin is a source to anything. There are studies that show that young children should be exposed to germs and to all kinds of dirt, because it makes a strong immune system. That does not apply for adults, as it's kind of a "get your immune system on the right track"-thing, and adults do not get that benefit. Again, the effect you're talking about is related to kids. Furthermore, there's a big difference between being exposed to germs, and being exposed to germs present in faecal matter. It is also not relevant that "most germs are good", because it's a huge generalization that misses the relevant point. Several kilos of our bodies are germs, and there are certain bacteria that occur in faeces that is completely natural, but still nothing but harmful to intake orally. There are no benefits to being exposed to "a little bit of shit". I don't care about washing my hands when I'm doing my usual stuff. I can touch other's peoples phones and still eat a sandwich without even thinking about it, even though smart phones are a germ haven, but I still take care not to get other people's dirt on me when I'm in the bathroom. That's the only place, and that's because there's nothing beneficial, and nothing with foundation in the generalization you put forth in your post.

Keasar

I definitely agree that you should wash your hands after going to the bathroom, that is basic etiquette and hygiene rules.

What I meant is the obsession overall with germs that people have, 'don't touch other people's things ever', 'if someone gets close to your food, its contaminated and should be thrown away', 'dust contains skin particles and is the most disgusting thing ever!', things like that which are normal to expect when you live in a society with high population density.

If a plague or actual virus rolled around, then yeah, it would be understandable, but not otherwise.

And I also see George Carlin as a source for looking at things with common sense and calming the fuck down about living in this world. :p

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
In 2014 a similar study by researchers from the University of Leeds found that airborne germ counts were 27 times higher around jet air dryers in comparison with the air around paper towel dispensers.

Research lead Professor Mark Wilcox said: “Next time you dry your hands in a public toilet using an electric hand dryer, you may be spreading bacteria without knowing it. You may also be splattered with bugs from other people’s hands.

“These findings are important for understanding the ways in which bacteria spread, with the potential to transmit illness and disease.”

The earlier study was funded by the European Tissue Symposium. A spokesman for Dyson said at the time: “This research was commissioned by the paper towel industry and it's flawed.

"They have tested glove covered hands, which have been contaminated with unrealistically high levels of bacteria, and not washed."

Haha at the bolded.

Although -

This study was on the old model air blade.

DOWN

Banned
The things were already bad because it has a narrow opening so occasionally your hands bump it and inevitably touch another surface that poor hand washers have touched. But a new study says it is like setting off a viral bomb:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...es-most-at-kid-face-height-than-other-dryers/
JmpI4y.gif

Researchers have long known that warm air hand dryers can launch bacteria into the air—compared to dabbing with paper towels, which unleashes virtually none. But new jet air dryers, made by Dyson, are significantly more problematic—they launch far more viruses into the air, which linger for longer periods of time and reach much farther distances, researchers recently reported in the Journal of Applied Microbiology. This is particularly concerning because viruses, unlike many infectious bacteria, can easily maintain their infectiousness in the air and on surfaces, and just a few viral particles can spark an infection.

“The results of this study suggest that in locations where hygiene and cross-infection considerations are paramount, such as healthcare settings and the food industry, the choice of hand-drying method should be considered carefully,” the authors concluded.

By far, the jet dryer was the biggest viral spreader in all measurements.

Clumping the data from all six heights together, the Dyson produced 60 times more plaques than the warm air dryer and 1,300 times more than paper towels. Of the viruses launched by the jet dryer, 70 percent were at the height of a small child’s face.

Looking across the distances tested, most of the jet dryer-launched viruses landed about 0.25 meters away. But at three meters, the number of plaque-forming viruses spread by the jet dryer was 500-fold greater than that from the warm air dryer (paper towels launched zero to this distance). In total across the distances, the jet dryer spread 20 times more viruses than the warm dryer and more than 190 times more than the paper towels.

With the air sampling data, the researchers looked at how long viruses lingered in the air after the drying methods were used. Fifteen minutes after a jet dryer blast, there were 50 times more viral particles in the air than after a warm air dryer and 100 times more than after paper towel use. The data also suggested that the jet dryer-launched viruses would float beyond the 15 minutes.

Novocaine

I mean the second you walk into a public toilet you instantly inhale a lung full of shit particles. Damage is already done.

I've always rathered paper towel anyway, air dryers don't dry as well.

Germs are literally everywhere. Unless you're bathing in hand sanitizer and washing your hands like a surgeon every couple hours, you're covered with them.

No use freaking out over it.

pixelation

The things were already bad because it has a narrow opening so occasionally your hands bump it and inevitably touch another surface that poor hand washers have touched.

How i hate it when that happens, i then go and wash my hands again.

mdubs

Banned
You probably already get like 50x more germs just by pushing the door on the way out anyways.

Plus viruses from when people cough and such. Blast dryers are one of the best things to become popular recently, makes drying hands so much better than the low power ones

Zaptruder

Banned
Wash your hands properly and you should have basically no germs left on your hand.

Also, normal public surfaces will have a great number of germs - hand rails, door handles, public keyboards especially, etc.

Life time cost for one of those Dyson hand dryers substantially lower than normal air blowers, and much much lower than paper based drying products still - translating to substantially lower environmental footprint.

With all that been said, many people don't wash their hands properly, and without good cleaning and maintenance of those units, grime and bacteria will build up!

Maengun1

I never get the debate over paper towels vs. air dryer. I wash my hands, shake off the drops, if necessary pat my hands on the side of my shirt, and walk off. They're dry within 10 seconds.

You know when you go into a bathroom and someone's taking a shit and it smells bad? Do you know why that is? it's because microscopic particles of actual shit are entering your nose, touching your nose skin, entering your nasal canal. Making contact with the surface of the inside of your body. Someone else's poop is literally inside your nose.

Who gives a shit about some non-existant germs that fly around in the air after you JUST WASHED YOUR HANDS

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The water off your washed hands isn't viral filled.

People using these things have just washed their hands.....what germs are on their hands after just washing? Is there a point to washing?

MrMephistoX

You probably already get like 50x more germs just by pushing the door on the way out anyways.

Plus viruses from when people cough and such. Blast dryers are one of the best things to become popular recently, makes drying hands so much better than the low power ones

This is why I open the door with paper towels and toss them to the floor if a waste bin isn't reachable or within throwing distance...yes I'm a monster.

Wensih

If the dryers are installed with UV lights that automatically turn on when dryers are not being used and have a light curtain that shuts the UV light off when broken, then it might sterilize the area enough to prevent spreading bacteria and viral particles.

Hypron

I still like them because they are so much faster than conventional hand dryers. The less time I spend in the bathroom the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom