• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

megashock5 said:
Yes, of all the big conferences that have taken place this year, MS was the best. :lol
Well if two nations were at war and for its opening salvo one nation dropped a nuclear bomb on the other, utterly decimating its population and military-industrial complex, would you be tempted to call the outcome of the war early or would you be holding off to see how the other nation responds before declaring a victor?

J-Rzez

dave is ok said:
I think MS won the conference war.

Not because they did a particularly great job - but because like last year, they catered to the average fan and not shareholders.

Sony and Nintendo didn't even seem like they tried last year and I expect more of the same this time around.

Yeah, Sony didn't announce anything shocking, like a ridiculously ambitious console shooter out of the blue last year. (Maybe shooters don't interest you, but it is big news to those who love shooters)

We'll see. Like other's said, MS did good, but could get topped. Which would be good because it means 2x's the stuff to be excited for. Regardless, I'm happy to have a 360 after seeing this show.

Gary Whitta said:
Well if two nations were at war and for its opening salvo one nation dropped a nuclear bomb on the other, utterly decimating its population and military-industrial complex, would you be tempted to call the outcome of the war early or would you be holding off to see how the other nation responds before declaring a victor?

True, unfortunately, no "megatons" were launched to have this outcome as far as that conference went.

Taurus

MS fucking delivered this year, WHOA!

Seriously one of the best E3 conferences I've ever seen (well I haven't seen that many but still). Btw did anyone else get 2D Metroid (but with more action) vibes from Shadow Complex?

Sony and Nintendo, the stage is yours...

Yes Boss!

Jinfash said:
Favorite game of the show and potentially all of E3...

Conviction

CONVICTION!

COOOOOOOONVICTIONNNNNNNNNN!!!1

Seriously! Conviction did make it look like Splinter Cell was back. I didn't mind Double Agent but that pretty much killed the franchise for me back then...no more!.

It is strange, Crackdown is my favorite 360 by a long shot and the idea of a sequel does nothing to me...especially by a different dev. Perfect games don't need sequels. I'm the same way about Bioshock.

JRW

zvzcxi.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Nice analogy. They pretty much raped Sony and Nintendo in one conference. Nintendo moreso (and directly) but still they destroyed.

Krelian

I liked most of the games they showed, especially Shadow Complex, Alan Wake and the new Splinter Cell. I wasn't very impressed with Natal, but maybe I will once we see games build around it other than the ones they showed. Overall I think the conference was pretty good.

Princess Skittles said:
Oh yeah. I guess since I don't care about either I forgot, oops. I was kind of hoping for something new from Mistwalker. But they can still announce stuff all during the week, so who knows.

more likely in the next Tokyo Game Show

J-Rzez

.GqueB. said:
Nice analogy. They pretty much raped Sony and Nintendo in one conference. Nintendo moreso (and directly) but still they destroyed.

:lol

Fill me in on Sony's show tomorrow bro. I'd like to know now since I'm not going to be home to watch the show tomorrow.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Gary Whitta said:
:lol You should write for a living.

Borrowing the template:

The Beatles Rock Band: Dont care about the game, but loved the music <3 The Beatles. Also, I didnt think why they had to have the ladies walk up, wave, and leave... and the dudes seemed to kinda hate on video games and be condescending. But I cant really hate on them because of it... Its the fucking Beatles.
Tony Hawk Ride: Whatever.
Modern Warfare 2: Climbing looked crap, the intensity was great and expected, the snowmobile chase looked fuck-amazing. Cant wait. Dont care about the map pack.
Final Fantasy XIII: Not a big fan of RPG's... so dont care.
Epic XBLA: Looks interesting. Need reviews or hands on to make up mind... but its on the radar.
Racing XBLA Game: Its aiite... cuz its free. Thats about it. "Look we have a Mario Kart too! Its free! Please play! Make your mom and younger sister play too!"
Crackdown 2: Day 1. No need to say any more. Its motherfucking Crackdown 2.
Left 4 Dead 2: Already? Seriously? Could be great... but its too soon.
Splinter Cell Conviction: Jesus... makes me want to run out and buy a 360. Looks like sex.
Forza 3: They should learn some other buzz words. Also, talk about your game instead of looking intimidated and apprehensive of competitor. BE the best, dont repeat how you are the best. Makes them look very petty and scared. Their game looks excellent and full of features (that crash at the end of the trailer? Thats a subtle burn, and thats how it should be done. Nice!)... I wish they hadnt presented it that way.
Halo: Looked... bad? The fuck happened to the animators? But its Halo... so it'll sell a gazillion and be the game of the show. Also, I missed what Halo: Reach was... need to see that trailer again.
Alan Wake: Didnt look that good... but the story has me VERY intrigued. I remember thinking Alan Wake moves like Max Payne, especially towards the end when he is in the house. Dunno... it just popped into my head. Need to see it in HD. Also, it seemed like he was shining a light on enemies to kill them. Not sure, was watching on SD. Looked kinda stupid. The game showed great potential though.
Online features/Networking/Stuff: All good stuff. Shouldnt bother those who wont use it... and might add functionality to people who care about this stuff.
Metal Gear Rising: Its a great "get" for 360... but its not like we didnt know about it. Either way... this should put some of the fanboy wars to the rest. (Yeah right... sigh.)
Xbox Camera Stuff: Looks incredible. Want to see more. Might be an absolute game changer.
Milo: That shit is just weak. WTF? Make a drawing for his school project? He picks up emotions in your voice and reacts accordingly? He feels embarrassment and tried to avoid talk about his homework? I highly doubt this. I need to hear some hands on impressions from the journalists who will be allowed to check it out. Either way, it wont be useful for anything until 2010 at least. I'd say they will have it in more useful form next E3?

Overall... great conference. Weak beginning, awesome middle and a weird end. Havent made up my mind on the end stuff... need more information. Also... WTF did Spielberg come out to do? I expected something... an announcement of a game... or that he was at least working on a game... but he just came out, basically said "good job" and left. Pointless... but thats why Microsoft is so good at this stuff... this is all gonna be in the news tomorrow. Beatles... Spielberg... This camera tech... this is all designed for Maximum exposure... Headline tomorrow will be "Microsoft says YOU are the controller!"

Dont see Sony or Nintendo competing with the polish and sheer drama of this conference. Sony will have a solid conference, and Nintendo will be between middling-solid (depending on whether they show any core games). But they wont get the push from their conferences that Microsoft got.

Microsoft = Masters of Marketing. Agree or disagree?

acm2000

well that conference was certainly shock and awe (and a bit of wtfomgthatslol)

goodluck topping that Sony/Nintendo

nintendo could, if they announce a proper new zelda and a proper new mario for wii, maybe

Amir0x

Banned
Besides the sheer predictability of most of the show thanks to the leaks, it was a pretty damn good showing all around. Like I said earlier topics, it doesn't seem like there are many megatons left but Microsoft is doing a damn good job at making sure compelling content hits the console.

Raw64life said:
Project Natal: Incredible? Yes. Something I can see myself using? No.
This was my initial sentiment, too, but it's not an absolute "no". The tech is impressive, and opens up new possibilities in gaming, but until must-have games come out for it, I wouldn't even entertain buying it, just for its potential. We'll see.

Overall, it was a good conference for Microsoft and fans of Xbox 360 games, I think, judging by many comments, here. There weren't very many exclusives that really appealed to me. My gaming tastes are just different from what was shown, although Shadow Complex looked interesting. I was anticipating Alan Wake footage, and I was underwhelmed. It was a lot more intriguing, when we saw less of the game. The in-game footage really brought the game down to Earth, compared to the potential it had, in my mind.

I agree with people saying it was Microsoft's best E3 conference, to date. I think some people were just underwhelmed, due to no real "megatons". Natal is not a megaton, until its potential is realized. Yeah, it has tech-heads abuzz, but until it's properly utilized, it's not going to have much immediate impact with the overall gaming community. Tech-wise, it smashes the Wii, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be anywhere near as successful. Also, the Wii system was built with its control scheme since inception. Natal is a secondary add-on peripheral for a system, several years into its lifespan. How many game companies are realistically going to put a ton of effort behind it, ignoring the enormous existing 360 and PS3 gamerbase? Potential customers will always be just a fraction of the 360 base, no matter how amazing it may be. If successful, though, I can see a promising future for Natal when the 720 launches.

Metal Gear Rising was not a megaton, either. Kojima going multiplatform with future games was expected. Based on what we saw, i.e., nothing, the game is a long way off. The game that console warriors really wanted to see announced, or not, depending on which side you root for, was some form of MGS4. We would have seen lulz about "MGS4 not possible on 360", blah, blah, blah, but now we have a new multiplatform(not confirmed, but likely) game, that doesn't provide the same amount of meltdown/gloating material that MGS4 would have. It's funny how people have been yearning for a 360 port of MGS4, yet are "meh" about a whole new game in the Metal Gear franchise. It tells me those people were yearning more for meltdowns than the actual game.

Lastly, I was surprised at no appearance of anything by Rare or Mistwalker. Also, for some reason, I was expecting to see APB.

edit: I just realized, that Metal Gear Rising was shown past the point where supposedly everything shown was exclusive to Xbox 360, so unless the speaker lied, it must be 360-exclusive.

I thought Shadow Complex, L4D2, and the Halo games were the coolest looking games there. Well, we didn't really see Reach but, I bet it's like Halo. :D

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't show TNMT Turtles in Time, Mass Effect 2, Dead Rising 2, or Half Life 2 EP3. I have to wonder if they'll show Ep 3 at all now. Would they really show L4D2 over it like that if it was going to be at the show?

Amir0x

Banned
For the conference thread needs:

Xbox 360

&#9679; EA's cooperative shooter Army of Two: The 40th Day has new media for consumption. (T, I, V)
&#9679; Yeah, Platinum Games' Bayonetta has plenty of T&A to go along with your Kamiya badassery. (V)
&#9679; Bioware's Mass Effect 2 looks incredible, and is sure to fix many of the problems people had with the first if the trailer is anything to go by. (V, T)
&#9679; Rockstar announces Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony as part of their DLC exclusivity deal for Microsoft. (P, Lo, T)
&#9679; Bioshock 2 has a firm release date of November 3rd. (L)
&#9679; Bethesda announced Brink from Splash Damage! (L / V, T)
&#9679; The Tekken 6 E3 Trailer! (V)
&#9679; Sega has announced Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Oh boy. (L, P, W, T)
&#9679; Supreme Commander 2 Revealed! (V, T)
&#9679; Mear Gear Rising announced. It stars Raiden. (V, A)
&#9679; Halo Reach announced. Not much is not, except it is about the last holdouts on planet Reach and will be released in 2010. (V, A)
&#9679; Halo: ODST was demoed, and it looked pretty fucking rad. (A, V)
&#9679; The much rumoured Xbox Live "Motion Camera" has been revealed. Called NATAL, it requires no controller and is much like an advanced EyeToy. (V)
&#9679; Crysis 2 has officially been announced for PS3, 360 and PC. It will further demonstrate Crytek's capabilities on consoles apparently. (T, P)
&#9679; Alan Wake is finally slated for release in Spring 2010. It was demoed on stage and seemed incredibly thrilling. (A, V, I)
&#9679; Left 4 Dead 2 is announced for release this winter. Changes include new melee weaponry, special infected and characters. (A, V, I)
&#9679; Splinter Cell: Conviction was shown at the event. Looks badass. (A, V, I)
&#9679; The GAF favorite is receiving a sequel in Crackdown 2. Almost nothing is known about it as a computer generated teaser was shown. (A, I)
&#9679; Final Fantasy XIII was demoed at the Microsoft event, with a tentative release window of Spring 2010. Cross your fingers. (A, V)
&#9679; Forza 3 looks insanely feature packed. With over 400 cars from 50 different manufacturers, it is being heralded as THE sim racing event of the generation for 360. (A, I)
&#9679; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is not only looking insane, it's also getting exclusive DLC on the 360. (A, I, V)
&#9679; Rock Band: Beatles is set to bring the iconic group to your music gaming love. (V)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
iamcool388 said:
Dont see Sony or Nintendo competing with the polish and sheer drama of this conference. Sony will have a solid conference, and Nintendo will be between middling-solid (depending on whether they show any core games). But they wont get the push from their conferences that Microsoft got.

The presentation style was really good. I don't think the others will do that as well as MS did here. Content wise, though, I think it's all to play for :p

Talon

I felt it was a hell of a conference, especially after last year's rather ho-hum affair.

They announced a ton of games going forward, and I don't think looking ahead is a worthy criticism here. Microsoft has enough big sellers in its library already, and the multiplatform titles look like they'll be carrying this Holiday season (Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 [I'm assuming here], Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, BioShock 2, music games, et al) although ODST will probably do extremely well...assuming it's at a good value. Not to mention that Splinter Cell looks fantastic from what little we've seen (very Bourne-esque), although I'm already wondering about the length of the game after being burnt by short campaigns in the next-gen era.

The cam stuff looked interesting, but the interface is what intrigues me the most. So far it's a proof of concept, but Microsoft's built enough of a base here to where they can mess around a bit more than Sony at least. Plus this seems to be the first time in recent memory where they've really looked further ahead than the upcoming year.

Great conference with tons of games, although I could've left the silly motion games behind. The technology looks interesting though. I don't care for the social media integration, but the Zune store could be more useful to me if the Zune pass extends to Macs.

As it stands, Sony and Nintendo have their work cut out for them. Hope we can get some big news from both shops.

Dear Xbox LIVE Members,

Last week we announced that Xbox LIVE has reached a staggering 20 million active members, reinforcing that Xbox LIVE isn’t just an online gaming service; it’s a community. That’s why we’re committed to offering entertainment for everyone on Xbox LIVE, from the core gamers with us since the beginning, to our newest members just learning about all the fun of Xbox 360.

We took a great step toward that goal last November when we re-imagined the Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE with the New Xbox Experience.

I talked then about our commitment to innovation on LIVE, and today we continue to deliver on that promise as we showcase new blockbuster games, technologies and partnerships that will transform the way people think about home entertainment. With Xbox LIVE at the center of your living room, you can watch your favorite movies in instant on 1080p HD and 5.1 channel surround sound with Zune video, or update your Netflix instant Queue and share the fun with a virtual movie party.

You can take your entertainment experiences to the largest social network on the planet with Facebook on Xbox LIVE, and even post a snap shot of your favorite gaming moments through Facebook Connect. And with Twitter, you can stay connected and keep your social circle up to date by reading, posting and replying to tweets right on your Xbox 360.

And for music lovers like me, our partnership with Last.fm will bring personalized streaming radio stations right to your Xbox 360.

We’re also thinking globally, and delivering a custom experience from BSkyB, one of the biggest names in European home entertainment – bringing great local content and live football to our members in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

We’re excited about all the innovations we unveiled today, and I want to share some of the new gaming and community features coming to Xbox LIVE this fall:

· Games on Demand. Xbox LIVE has changed the way you play your games, and now we’re changing the way you access them, with the digital distribution of full Xbox 360 games. The Games on Demand channel will launch with a library more than 30 great games, from classic hits like “Mass Effect,” “BioShock” and “Assassin’s Creed,” to family favorites like “LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga” and “Sonic the Hedgehog.” You’ll have access to a wide variety of great games, downloadable in only a few hours and at the touch of a button. We’ve also added the option to purchase Games on Demand directly with your credit or debit card.

· Great games on Xbox LIVE and Xbox LIVE Arcade. Xbox LIVE Arcade is keeping the fun rolling all summer long. We are continuing our commitment to quality and innovation by delivering five weeks of downloadable blockbusters with the second annual Summer of Arcade – bringing you the biggest and best smash hits of the season including “Shadow Complex,” “Trials HD,” “Splosion Man ™,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™ : Turtles in Time Re-Shelled,” and “MARVEL™ VS. CAPCOM® 2.” And of course I’m excited to see the launch of our beta season of “1 vs 100” today. I’m also already playing a ton of our newly announced game, “Joy Ride,” and I can’t wait for you to experience it this holiday.

· Avatar Marketplace. Since the launch of NXE, millions of Avatars have been created on Xbox LIVE, giving our members a whole new way to express themselves online, in games, and in their social experiences. Starting this summer, you will see some great new ways to make your Avatar truly your own. First, we heard loud and clear from you that you wanted to get new avatar items as awards when playing games, and I’m happy to announce support for in-game Avatar Awardables. Second, you’re going to see some great new options with animated Props and full costumes to add to your Avatar. Finally, we’re continuing that spirit of customization and self-expression with a virtual closet full of premium clothing and interactive props to download and purchase for your Avatar. Whether its game-inspired gear or the latest fashion trends, there will be creative options for everyone to enjoy. You’ll also be able to easily access the new Avatar Marketplace directly through the Avatar editor.

· User Ratings. We’re adding a five star rating system that lets you easily rate any content in the Games Marketplace. Now you’ll be able to show your support for your favorite games and Game Add-ons on Xbox LIVE and also quickly organize by user rating to find the community’s favorite content. This has been one of your most-requested features, and we’re very happy to bring it to you this summer.

· Performance Updates. We know that the details also matter. That’s why we’re making a series of updates based on your feedback. First and foremost, the entire Xbox LIVE service is being upgraded for improved performance including better guide and friends access. Some other things we’ve done based on your feedback include revamping the friends sorting list, Achievement views and improving our matchmaking support. There’s always room to improve, and your input really matters to us…so keep it coming!

I’ve never been more proud to be a part of this team, and I truly believe that there’s never been a better time to be an Xbox LIVE member – there are more entertainment choices than ever before for our members. With today’s announcements, I can confidently say that an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership is hands down the best value in home entertainment, giving you exclusive access to Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Sky, Last.fm, “1 vs 100 Live” beta, and the best gaming and entertainment network on the planet.

There’s much more to come, and you’ll hear even more details soon. But in the meantime, we hope you’re having as much fun as we are.

See you online,

Marc Whitten​

Some stuff that didn't receive major announcement.

jonabbey

Gary Whitta said:

Huh. I didn't see the news at the conference about Microsoft assassinating Nintendo and Sony's developer teams. Was this private communication?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Yet to see the conference or any of the videos, already know what was shown though, damn i just wanna see the conference.

People are really calling this the shit.

gofreak said:
The presentation style was really good. I don't think the others will do that as well as MS did here. Content wise, though, I think it's all to play for :p

Oh absolutely. Games wise Sony and Nintendo can easily contend, perhaps not in the "Megatons" count (here I go again :lol ), but definitely for amount of games. But I do think that these conferences are also about having a narrative, keeping things tight, keep things moving... once they got in their groove (after Tony Hawk Ride), Microsoft didnt let a lull come into their show at all. Even as a college student, I try to put some spectacle and pizzazz into my final presentations... why wouldnt big companies do the same in what is the biggest venue for their industry and can get them great exposure?

Thats why I wasnt happy that Sony let some stuff leak... or showed things early. Or that Nintendo doesnt use their time properly (put the sales data on a press release ffs)... look at MS... didnt put any charts or graphs... and got a big 'whoop' because of that. Make the audience (present and virtual) happy! They can easily put our a PR for that stuff. Use time efficiently... create the feeling that there is just TOO much content to be shown and not enough time... and generate some excitement... big names show up... surprises... keep the audience guessing. They know what game is coming... but in what form? For how long? Stuff like that.

Microsoft excelled in that department imo. Very impressive presentation.

duk

Banned
gofreak said:
Without something to back that up, IGN will have to do better. Schappert (as per Keighly) refused to say to him it's exclusive, MS's press release has it in the non-exclusive section, and Konami's PR avoids the 'e' word too :p

Sure enough, I am just posting what IGN updated with. After everyone calms down, I am sure we'll get the real deal.

Yes Boss!

gofreak said:
Without something to back that up, IGN will have to do better. Schappert (as per Keighly) refused to say to him it's exclusive, MS's press release has it in the non-exclusive section, and Konami's PR avoids the 'e' word too :p

Yeah, I doubt exclusivity. Probably timed, if any. I'd much rather prefer to buy it for a Sony system since all my other titles in the franchise are there.

Cheebs

How is natal going to make wii motion a joke again?

Can someone explain how at all Microsoft expects wii moms and their ilk who actually are the ones scared of fancy controllers to buy a 360 and spend $200 for a natal? if you can't explain that than this destroying nintendo thing is a joke.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cheebs said:
How is natal going to make wii motion a joke again?

Can someone explain how at all Microsoft expects wii moms and their ilk who actually are the ones scared of fancy controllers to buy a 360 and spend $200 for a natal? if you can't explain that than this destroying nintendo thing is a joke.

Deja Vu...

Leatherface

I already have a PS3 and Wii. I'm hoping Sony pulls out all the stops and has some comparible online services like Xbox live. The netflix functionality stuff alone is really hard to resist as a current netflix customer. The 1080p streaming stuff is great too!

Anyway- great showing for Microsoft IMO. I was hoping for Killer Instinct (lol), or PD2 from Rare but what was shown for gaming was pretty cool. It's going to be real hard to resist Xbox this year. heh.

Cheebs

lowrider007 said:
Well MS wins the casualZZ1!1!!, now lets see if Sony can win the hardcore ;-P
wii fit plus has 100000000x the resonance with the casuals than a $200 accessory on a system they don't own.

.GqueB.

Banned
J-Rzez said:
:lol

Fill me in on Sony's show tomorrow bro. I'd like to know now since I'm not going to be home to watch the show tomorrow.
Im more interested in Sony's new IPs than anything else. MS added a lot of functionality and features so Im just giving the due credit. The game offerings were great (CRACKDOWN AND L4D ALL OVER MY FACE) but it was nothing "new". I want games. Not radio. Im not gonna play the damn radio.

Sony has an answer to Microsoft's tech. Its going to be unveiled tomorrow at the press conference.

MS : Project Natal

Sony: Project Feterer

Top Bottom