• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 | Nintendo Digital Event

Puppets?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birathen

Im sure it will feel different later when I let everything sink in. Right now I'm just feeling a bit empty inside. I guess I had the bar set too high.

Gnilres

As a nintendo fan, I feel like... being f***ed today. I wanted a Mario strikers, we received a shitty tennis game without the special movements that were on NGC.
Waited for a metroid game on wii u. with the gamepad, we could do a lot of things with it on a game like that.
Waited for another NGC hd remake..
Where's Rhythm Heaven??

Nintendo's first step is to fire the big 3: Miyamoto (ok you are the papa of mario but from years, you offer nothing to gamers. You use Nintendo society like it was your puppet. He explains its ideas of maniability for Star fox, sorry but tons of people can think better things for this game). Reggie and Iwata too. They are a big wall of the progress of Nintendo.

I have to agree as much as it hurts

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So it seems like they're going to be playing all the games from the digital event over today and the next two days? I hope they end up playing Mario Tennis at some point.

Actually playing the games >>>>>>>>>>> Hollywood scripted promos

This thread is moving too fast for my liking. Have we had any epic meldowns yet?
Just a ton of shitters making passive vague confident claims that about Wii U being doomed after this year.

spliced

As bad as it was I loved hearing about the creation of Mario levels, especially seeing the sketches and hearing about the thought that went in to 1-1. There is no substitute for that genius.

- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
- Zelda: Triforce Heroes
- Mario Tennis Wii U
- Activision/Nintendo collab for dual skylander/amiibo figurines
- Release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X in EU/NA (4th Dec)
- Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival for Wii U, and Home Designer for 3DS
- Mario Maker release date (Sept)
- Trailers for both the Wii U and New 3DS Fire Emblem games.

At best this conference was disappointing since there's no big surprises and it was somewhat dull due to the developer diaries, all the people saying this is the worst conference ever and they want to sell their wii u are blowing my mind

Underwhelming versions, party games and 3DS games at a time when 3DS is looking long in the tooth.
The most in depth footage for Wii U this year was Starfox, Wooly World and Mario Maker - all of which we saw last year.

This was an overt "fuck you, we've stopped caring about you" to everyone still anticipating quality Nintendo titles on the Wii U, which cost some of us a lot of money, and which some of us have dutifully supported.

I've bought and supported every Nintendo console but this is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. No NX unless Nintendo massively change, and I'm certainly not in at launch if I can't trust that they'll actually support their consoles for a minimum of the traditional life cycle.

Some of you are far too forgiving. And apparently still enjoy the 3DS.

People in this thread are complaining about letting a console die without support, but we see here that the 3DS is definitely on it's last legs and they're supporting it. Isn't that what we want, or does it not count for some reason?

Like, the line-up is good: but a lot of it was retreads, and a lot of it was underwhelming reveals or franchises spin-offs that aren't that appealing.

Honestly I wasn't even wanting any announcements but this left me disappointed either way.

Dr. Buni

on the bright side, NX must be releasing earlier than expected
I don't know this is supposed to be a "bright side". The Wii U isn't even 3 years old yet, is it? Like... I miss when consoles lasted for at least 5~6 years.
People in this thread are complaining about letting a console die without support, but we see here that the 3DS is definitely on it's last legs and they're supporting it. Isn't that what we want, or does it not count for some reason?
The support the 3DS still gets is definitely a good thing.

If Nintendo does a direct event in the fall announcing a new Retro Studios title for 2016 and a couple of other internal titles for the Wii-U along with a Zelda Wii-U date of holiday 2016 I think everyone will quickly forget this lackluster E3.

But if I was Nintendo I would have quickly thrown a bone to the core fans as far as 2016 Wii-U goes. Give the fans something to look forward to and hold on to. Even if you have some sort of fall event planned you need to give people something to come away with at E3 esp after good Sony and Microsoft conferences.

Nintendo does what Nintendo does I guess. Hopefully NX isn't a console as I think it would spell a Gamecube 2005-2006 vibe. I think it is some sort of handheld as the 3-DS has plenty of support through 2016 and it has been around long enough where they can replace it in 2017 and people won't feel like it was too soon.

Wii-U on the other hand needs a few more years of support, it is going to shake the confidence of consumers if Nintendo doesn't support the console through 2017 at the very least.

E3 is an important event to showcase things, but Nintendo does usually spread out their news with more directs, so now E3 for them isn't the be-all end-all showstopper it used to be. And I still don't think the NX will be out till at least 2017.

Heroman

Banned
But it will be. OK? You know it will be. It will be. It will be. There's no other explanation. It will be.

There no reason why, just because they did it tp there is no reason why they would do to wii U, I mean they could have done the TP treatment to both MM and SS but didnt. Also this game is build from the ground up for the wiiu and until we know what nx is this isnt a tp moment/

HiroTSK5

I think a large part of this disappointment was the presentation and less the games. Yes there was a lot shown today, but at the same time there was a lot of "fluff". The Muppet bit went on way too long, and I definitely felt that the Yoshi's Woolly World bit was unnecessary given that it got a "Developer Story" last year and Mario Maker, while appreciated that Miyamoto and Tezuka delved into making the original game, had way too much screen time even though Sunday was basically spent showcasing the game at its best.

also as a side note: anyone else weirded out by how perfectly Did You Know Gaming's Starfox episode lined up with Starfox's Developer Story?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Other than Retro being MIA, I thought it was a good conference. There weren't any huge surprises, but the games shown look fun and creative. And I'm more tempted than ever to get a 3DS.

For the people saying Nintendo showed games that are coming soon: the problem for me is that a good amount of their lineup is just uninteresting to me. Also the third party support is just so abysmal it hurts

Problem with the show was a lack of new Wii U announcements. I get that the market has spoken and that they need to feature 3DS games more. It makes good business sense, but also makes these presentations less exciting.

That being said, the Wii U 2015 games we already know about are coming along nicely. I suggest everybody watch the Treehouse demo of Star Fox Zero. It really does look like the next gen Star Fox 64 we've been asking for all these years. Yoshi looks better and better with each reveal. The highlight for me, though, was definitely seeing the original level design sketches for SMB and how they've inspired Super Mario Maker; that was awesome!

Overall, this was still much better than 2008 presentation. I'd compare it to the 2012 show: lots of cool Miyamoto stuff, but no new exciting announcements for the home console. It was more like a pretty good Direct than E3, really.

Parapraxis

So the Starfox control scheme is gamepad +TV for "cinematic" view?

Is there a traditional control scheme? If not it's dead to me.

RhyDin

Is there any way to rewatch this right now? Can't find the youtube link in the OP.

Also, does this mean the new Zelda will skip the WiiU?

Chitown B

As a nintendo fan, I feel like... being f***ed today. I wanted a Mario strikers, we received a shitty tennis game without the special movements that were on NGC.
Waited for a metroid game on wii u. with the gamepad, we could do a lot of things with it on a game like that.
Waited for another NGC hd remake..
Where's Rhythm Heaven??

Nintendo's first step is to fire the big 3: Miyamoto (ok you are the papa of mario but from years, you offer nothing to gamers. You use Nintendo society like it was your puppet. He explains its ideas of maniability for Star fox, sorry but tons of people can think better things for this game). Reggie and Iwata too. They are a big wall of the progress of Nintendo.

I'm sad that I agree.

Jintor

I feel like one of the other things is that Nintendo drip-feeds completely new games all the friggin time in Directs, but because they build up so slowly over the year, nobody really gets super hype in a massive blast (unlike last year). So really a new crazy game for Wii U could be announced at any time with little to no notice.

Don't get me wrong - it was still a super disappointing conference.

If Nintendo has just run the Wii U dry, they could at least keep supporting their existing hits with more DLC... I was expecting a new Mario Kart track pack or something.... Not Animal Crossing Party

I can see the Skylander collab moving some significant units among kids who love the show.

Otherwise, those upcoming games seem Splatoon-esque (won't move consoles but will be successful with the base)

You know, Nintendo has far more titles to look forward to than any other developer. They just announce their games throughout the year at NDs instead of holding it all in for E3. Yes, the ND was pretty lame, but you have to contextualize that lameness.

Yeah, this was a disappointing conference compared to last year.

Everything Mario Maker was great. I was very fascinated when they dug out the old SMB documents and explained how the level design process was back then.

I have to wonder. The costume Marios were only shown in 8 Bit. Well they make 16 Bit and 3d versions too?

Anyway, some specific disappointments from me

-No dub showcased for Xenoblade X. What gives? It was a real "Been there, done that" kind of trailer.

-No Dragon Quest :(

-Nothing from Capcom :(

-Nothing about Mario Kart 8? Smash I could understand, but I figured a quick little trailer showing new Amiibo compatibility was a given.

isn't this the truth. Nintendo shows up with real fucking video games that you will play in the near future and it's the worst presentation they've had in years?

Every single game they've shown will be a product you can buy before any of the big announcements at Sony's thing.

The difference is that the only Nintendo game they showed today that I actually want to buy was shown at last year's event as well. They really seem like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. :(

Youtube link for those who want to watch it/watch it again

SuomiDude

So all in all, pretty bad E3 showings from all, lots of disappointing moments, didn't really like much from Nintendo's showings either. But what was good was really good. Star Fox looks great, Yoshi's Woolly World amazing, Super Mario Maker amazing, Xenoblade Chronicles X looks great. That's 4 must haves that have yet to release and I already have 22 retail games for the system. Not bad.

But what disappointed me was that there was no really new announcements, though that's to be expected for games that's releasing from now to early 2016. And since I don't have 3DS, that side of games didn't really do it for me either.

ivysaur12

Banned
Let me preface this by saying I'm the biggest Nintendo fan boy you'll ever meet. I don't plan on selling my Wii U or whatever. I do need to get a New 3DS since my old one has a broken circle pad.

I think this event really sums up where Nintendo is. The Wii U is, for all intents and purposes, dead. They'll release what they have to just to keep their heads above water. They'll do what they can to maximize profits. (That's why we see so much Amiibo integration.)

The biggest takeaway is that Nintendo simply cannot support two devices on their own. I think the NX has to be a hybrid console/handheld. I think they have the resources to support one system on their own without too much trouble.

It doesn't matter what Nintendo releases hardware wise. The 3rd parties are not going to come back. It'll be three games since EA sports has supported the Nintendo home console (Madden/FIFA 14, 15, 16). It's now lacking the last two CoDs. With the exception of Just Dance 16, I don't think there was a single 3rd party game announced for Wii U this E3. These companies aren't just going to rush back until the player base is there.

I think that's why this even really showed how Nintendo is caught between a rock and a hard place. As a business, they have to salvage what they can. However, they can't afford to invest money in games that aren't going to sell at all. Then, they have to make sure they don't tick off the people who have invested in their platforms.

It's for the last reason that I think this even failed so hard. They showed what they had, but what they had is not acceptable while still marketing the device. They needed to open up some more Virtual Console stuff at least. They need something to satisfy those who have bought the system. Something. Anything, really.

They didn't do it with this conference. They just managed to tick off everyone.

Very well said.

EDarkness

I don't know this is supposed to be a "bright side". The Wii U isn't even 3 years old yet, is it? Like... I miss when consoles lasted for at least 5~6 years.

The support the 3DS still gets is definitely a good thing.

The Wii U needs to go and they need a fresh start. 3D parties are gone and it's pretty obvious looking around the industry. They need something else to get people to buy and I think the NX will do that. I'm all for getting rid of the Wii U (even though my own game is coming out on the system), if we're going to get something that has the potential for me excitement.

topplehat

So all in all, pretty bad E3 showings from all, lots of disappointing moments, didn't really like much from Nintendo's showings either. But what was good was really good. Star Fox looks great, Yoshi's Woolly World amazing, Super Mario Maker amazing, Xenoblade Chronicles X looks great. That's 4 must haves that have yet to release and I already have 22 retail games for the system. Not bad.

But what disappointed me was that there was no really new announcements, though that's to be expected for games that's releasing from now to early 2016. And since I don't have 3DS, that side of games didn't really do it for me either.

What a weird perspective you had. There were plenty of new announcements there.

Even the bingo sheet posted earlier disappointed. No bingo for me. :(

9G2Rude.jpg

I could've missed something, though. Also,

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

I'm saving this one. ;) This whole thread has been...something else! Perhaps the problem is not that we aren't getting games coming out soon, but rather that the games themselves are what disappointed people? I mean, Animal Crossing amiibo Party...seems kind of like a low point, on top of what I said before.

Pizza

it isn't even exclusive, since the superior version will be on PC lol

That's so silly. I mean with the last guardian they showed it off, hid it for eight years, then showed it off again. who is to say we won't get it until ps5?

We're getting all these Nintendo titles *soon* this isn't a sign of a Wii-drought this is them laying out the immediate future. Within a year we'll have everything shown, stuff that wasn't mentioned, and Zelda and *who knows* what else.

And on top of everything today, we had a smash bomb two days ago and a 3ds-centric direct like a week or two before that? Today was one of many Nintendo announcements.

I'm satisfied with this year's conference, hopefully we'll get some more announcements here and there but my gaming calender looks pretty nice and full until next e3! So I'm real happy at this point.

seeing updates on Mario tennis during the year is going to be cool (I can start praying for dk Jr again) and I'd love to actually know what the hell smtxfe even is about because they've sold me on it being incomprehensible flashy nonsense and that's pretty impressive for a crossover between two series I haven't played.

And *come on* last time we got a metroid prime game it was pinball. They're reigniting the prime brand for a *reason* but even if prime 4 is an NX launch title people will be upset it wasn't on Wii U instead. Idk.

This winter is gonna be cool! PLATINUM STARFOX hnnnnnng

You know, Nintendo has far more titles to look forward to than any other developer. They just announce their games throughout the year at NDs instead of holding it all in for E3. Yes, the ND was pretty lame, but you have to contextualize that lameness.

<3

The difference is that the only Nintendo game they showed today that I actually want to buy was shown at last year's event as well. They really seem like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. :(

Not being able to develop AAA titles back to back is scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Its clear that a lot of games announed are just side project padding. Their AAA teams are obviously working on something else. They just released smash/kart/dktf last year. Do people think games just grow on trees or something?

Top Bottom