• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 | Nintendo Digital Event

Puppets?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RiggyRob

What I think was pretty disappointing is the fact that if all development has indeed moved to NX, why not pad out the extremely sparse release schedule with HD remasters and VC releases?

It baffles me as to why they think that having such an empty year is an acceptable idea.

Impala26

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

ayy lmao

0G8b0H8.jpg

Nintendo's 2014 E3 - best of the whole show by a country mile
Nintendo's 2015 E3 - Inoffensive but uninteresting
Here's to 2016! Hey, it can't get worse than the Wii Music one, right?

Positives: Starfox Zero looks really fun (if visually very dated) and I'll buy it. Xenoblade Chronicles X still looks lovely and it's nice to have a release date. Super Mario Maker looked great too, I love the sheer amount of freedom it seems to give the creator. The Mario RPG crossover between M&L and Paper Mario is pretty unique. Online Zelda is quite forward for Nintendo, too.

Negatives: Too many spin-off games like Animal Crossing The Board Game and Metroid Sports Mix. The lack of WiiU Zelda gameplay hurt the show hard, as did the general lack of a big hitter game at all. Either they're saving the big guns to launch NX in style, or there's something seriously amiss.

RMI

Banned
I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

lol omg I can't tell if this is parody or reality but it's hilarious. A+.

krizzx

Considering how hard the stocks dropped on that chart, the investor meeting is not going to be a happy one.

I think we can safely say, that this awful e3 presentation has literally cost them money, and in not digital event production cost sense.

fhco

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after watching this conference, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo games for either system. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and make another E3 conference or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I miss Fragmaster

RMI

Banned
Considering how hard the stocks dropped on that chart, the investor meeting is not going to be a happy one.

I think we can safely say, that this awful e3 presentation has literally cost them money, and in not digital event production cost sense.

Their stock is up 0.59% today, so not sure what you're talking about. It's been on a downward trend since peaking at about $24 a month ago, but it's still well above where they were 6 months ago.

krizzx

Their stock is up 0.59% today, so not sure what you're talking about. It's been on a downward trend since peaking at about $24 a month ago, but it's still well above where they were 6 months ago.

I thought I saw a chart earlier that showed that their stocks dropped after that presentation. I must have been looking at something else.

Armadilo

Banned
I was going to start a thread on how last year was the Wii U's Swan song since I thought last year Nintendo didn't really have anything to show at last years E3 but just my opinion

Ansatz

Mario Kart 8 DLC
DLC seems like a good strategy in Nintendo really IS in a transitional stage. And people WANT more Mario Kart 8! How much would it have helped this conference to show a Metroid track? And what about some nice Battle courses?

Seeing how NX is closer than we thought, phasing out MK8 in preparation of MK9 seems like a better idea than keep releasing DLC packs.

It's clear to me that they were planning a proper AC game too, between the Plaza app, amiibo line and MK8 DLC Pack 2. The decision to move everything to NX must have happend a couple of months ago, sometime after the VGA's I would say otherwise they wouldn't have showed Zelda there.

I think they made the right call, because now they can reset in terms of dev cycles and have every big game out within the first two years of its lifecycle.

wmlk

And I'm enjoying it immensely. I liked Star Fox, I liked the new Fire Emblem scenes and the English Dub, new information on FE X SMT, ANOTHER Zelda game. But that's not good enough for ya assholes, is it?

Let Iwata's statement speak for itself man.

It's OK for people to be disappointed. No point calling other people names.

benjammin

You must not have seen very many.

Every e3 for more than a decade. Don't remember seeing one that was as depressing as this for Nintendo. They have has completely given up on the WiiU, and don't have any reasons why the average consumer shouldn't do the exact same thing.

Wolfie5

Wow...just wow. Glad I didn´t see it live, but it didn´t make much difference. I just saw the Direct and... yeah... not getting a Wii U, by the looks of it. Nintendo made my decision.

I have bought and enjoyed playing all Nintendo homeconsoles from NES to Wii, but Wii U was a big ass mistake from the get go. Not buying Wii U I guess, unless Zelda U won´t release on their next platform (whatever that may be), in which case I will buy it when it´s really cheap.

Always gone with the PC/Nintendo combo, but this time it just... doesn´t... feel right, you know? If Nintendo doesn´t give a fuck about Wii U, why should I? That is how it feels. Oh well, let´s see what happens next year I guess.

For now, only PC will have to do, which is fine, as there are always many great games to play.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing how NX is closer than we thought, phasing out MK8 in preparation of MK9 seems like a better idea than keep releasing DLC packs.

It's clear to me that they were planning a proper AC game too, between the Plaza app, amiibo line and MK8 DLC Pack 2. The decision to move everything to NX must have happend a couple of months ago, sometime after the VGA's I would say otherwise they wouldn't have showed Zelda there.

If only they made that decision after Splatoons release, maybe they wouldn't have bailed on the Wii-U quite so early.

Terrell

Every e3 for more than a decade. Don't remember seeing one that was as depressing as this for Nintendo. They have has completely given up on the WiiU, and don't have any reasons why the average consumer shouldn't do the exact same thing.

At this point, there's not many consumers who haven't already given up on Wii U except the people who actually own one. And I got a good 2 years out of it thanks to Mario Kart and Smash. Haven't gotten to Splatoon yet, so that will probably give it a last sputter along with Star Fox. It's another case of "bad console overall with great games". That was the N64 for me. And the Wii U is another repeat of that. I liked things in both, but neither fulfilled its potential or its promise.

Wedge7

Ah man, just saw this a few moments ago. Was quite a disappointment in my eyes, not too many things that gave me excitement. Ah well, my mistake I suppose for overhyping it.

boymacwerter

Neo Member

When he said his mom knocked on his bedroom door, I figured he was 16 years old, then he said he was 31! Lol

Nicktendo86

It really does feel like the last days of the GameCube. Going to e3 with not much to show, only mentioned the next console with a codename that hints at a shakeup (revolution then, 'new experience' now), not showing the new Zelda game as it is presumably being ported to the new console.

The parallels are striking actually. God I hope NX is a Wii like success as well.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...just wow. Glad I didn´t see it live, but it didn´t make much difference. I just saw the Direct and... yeah... not getting a Wii U, by the looks of it. Nintendo made my decision.

The Wii-U actually has a pretty strong library of first party games (including original 'IP' like Wonderful 101 and Splatoon), so it's still very much worth a purchase IMO.

Unless the main thing you're interested in is Zelda, in which case I'd wait for the NX announcement (as it's very possible the game will appear on both platforms).

I think they made the right call, because now they can reset in terms of dev cycles and have every big game out within the first two years of its lifecycle.

Last year, pretty sure. In January 2014 the WiiU was already dead and Nintendo knew it. We all knew it wouldn't even sell GC numbers. They aren't stupid.

Number_6

It really does feel like the last days of the GameCube. Going to e3 with not much to show, only mentioned the next console with a codename that hints at a shakeup (revolution then, 'new experience' now), not showing the new Zelda game as it is presumably being ported to the new console.

The parallels are striking actually. God I hope NX is a Wii like success as well.

What year was that? Because I bet it wasn't when the Gamecube was less than three years old.

The Wii-U actually has a pretty strong library of first party games (including original 'IP' like Wonderful 101 and Splatoon), so it's still very much worth a purchase IMO.

Unless the main thing you're interested in is Zelda, in which case I'd wait for the NX announcement (as it's very possible the game will appear on both platforms).

No, even with the current lineup a Wii U buy isn't worth it. Most of them are extremly niche games and not very ambitious.

Zemm

In theory that makes complete sense, but we've been here before in terms of equating current system software woes with next system launch lineup strength.

Exactly, didn't we do that when the Wii was starved for the final two years of its life, and expected big things of the Wii U release? Expect the same thing again, with another piss poor software release for whatever the NX is at launch.

Wolfie5

Interesting IPs, I agree on that, but they don´t appeal to me.

What does appeal to me is Zelda and Metroid above all. Then it´s Mario in 3D first, then Donkey Kong, Pikmin and other stuff. So far, only seen the last part, which is not enough for me to buy a console.

mojo2

Neo Member
I think I paid 369 EUR or something like that for a Wii U.

I don't have the strength to pick a gif for this feeling.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
No, even with the current lineup a Wii U buy isn't worth it. Most of them are extremly niche games and not very ambitious.

Not gonna play list wars with you, but the Wii-U has a fantastic library of first party games.

Some great third party titles as well, once you realize that indies are in fact third party games.

sonto340

Interesting IPs, I agree on that, but they don´t appeal to me.

What does appeal to me is Zelda and Metroid above all. Then it´s Mario in 3D first, then Donkey Kong, Pikmin and other stuff. So far, only seen the last part, which is not enough for me to buy a console.
So you would rather Nintendo rehash the same three franchises and let them die then see new interesting ip. The character you're playing as is more important to you than the gameplay?

SephLuis

All I wanted was Rhythm Heaven... where is the fucking game?!?!

And I had forgotten this, thanks and add me to the dissapointed list =/

This event was for games launching until early 2016, so I am hoping that both Fire Emblems are out until March (or at later, Q2-2016) and Rhythm Heaven is announced at another Direct.

NoA isn't skipping titles latelly. They can't.

Toxi

Banned
One of the worst E3 conferences I've ever seen. My mouth was half-open in shock after they announced Metroid Prime as a generic co-op FPS, and it only stayed that way as I waited for something, anything interesting. Then came the ending and... Wow.

Harmen

I for one do not blame Nintendo for moving on.

They made sure all titles on the U from their part are quality and move new development into their future platforms. The WiiU bombed worldwide and still got a fairly decent quantity of great games. Limited choice, but quality and exclusive.

They have the mobile stuff, QoL and the NX coming and they need te ensure not to make the same mistakes as they did with the 3DS and WiiU. And for that, I am grateful they seem to be going full gear into their future endevours. Nintendo is not doomed at all, but they do need to move on from products that failed to reach potential or are losing relevance. And that is exactly what they are doing.

MajorMane

This was the best thing about the digital event.

1300152540987555879.gif

So funny lol.

I loved last year's Robot Chicken theme and I loved this year's Muppets theme. One thing Nintendo can always do lately is nail that charm and "Nintendo" feel. Wonder what they'll do for next year?

Also, they're great for immediate memes/gifs.

Content?... yeah...

Xiao Hu

Did I really considered skipping going to the cinema for this? Guess I saved myself from some regret. 2016 can only be better....

Zoolader

What year was that? Because I bet it wasn't when the Gamecube was less than three years old.

The gamecube still had some moderate third party support. It was more powerful than the ps2 so it wasn't that hard to port games over. Not really the same situation now.

Its like the first Reggie segment was quite literaly an apology and an admission that "hey we just showed you the only real interesting thing you're going to see this direct - while we are developing new shiny hardware and figuring out just how bad we fucked up this gen, here are some bones we're throwing you to tide you over. Please understand"

The whole end segment made sure to play on the selective memories of growing up with Mario and smacked of "hey guys, try not to forget about us, we're a part of why you're a gamer!". They know that between now and whenever NX arrives, the WiiU at least, will be a barren wasteland and that they can't seriously be expecting new customers to pick up the console - they just seem to be doing the barest minimum to remain relevant until whenever that is.

seady

I am always super hype on everything Nintendo, and I literally fell asleep watching this digital event (during the Skylander part).

Top Bottom