• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

It's better to show it off where people can try it. Sure they'll devote a few minutes to it on stage but it's not as effective as an in person demo which is probably why the Morpheus is taking up a ton of booth space. So people can try it.

wonder if they will spend much time on it during their conference. Honestly the only way I think people will get what VR is all about is by actually trying it.

Salex_

Edit:Ah, nvm.

Checking Toyama's Twitter everyday to see if he mentions E3. Hope we don't have to wait until TGS or the Paris event to see this
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I wonder what he meant by the understanding once we see it again comment.

Aces&Eights

My one GAF wish for E3 is actually to have El Torro drop his infamous .gifs all over the thread. That coupled with breaking news and stage mishaps just make it so much better.

Kyoufu

...Why? You wanted them to spend half of their E3 conference showing and talking about it when no one watching it at home can experience it? This is a good thing for the stream viewers.

You know, anything they show, be it traditional or VR games, can't actually be experienced by viewers.

You know that right?

Please tell me you know that.

But they shouldn't talk about Morpheus or show any VR games at the conference because reasons!

It will be taked about, but of the near 2 hour run time they can't spend a lot of time talking about it on stage. They can spend 15-20 minutes or so detailing plans for launch and games that will launch with it, but half the show floor makes sense because the best way to show it off is to have people experience it.

Edit: unless they can output a proper feed showing what is being played on stage, then I can see maybe a little more time spent on stage for it. But no way they spend an hour talking about it.

jayu26

wonder if they will spend much time on it during their conference. Honestly the only way I think people will get what VR is all about is by actually trying it.
I don't think so. Best way to sell people on it is have them try it. I would not be surprised if they announce demo kiosks at local Bestbuys during E3.

Boke1879

But they shouldn't talk about Morpheus or show any VR games at the conference because reasons!

And people are stupid to think that. It's their next big thing. People don't want them to talk about it or invest in it but then complain if it flops. This is the way to go

klaushm

You know, anything they show, be it traditional or VR games, can't actually be experienced by viewers.

You know that right?

Please tell me you know that.

He knows :p

But if you won't experimence morpheus, you will need both visual presentation (game itself and explanation) and reviews from those on the booth. If you have just one of these, you will feel not that confident, as normaly happens to any games even without VR.

So ready for this VR fad to be over.

Lol, it is an interesting topic right now. I fear the market VR appeals to may be way more niche then anyone is thinking right now. Tech companies and enthusiasts and developers love the hell out of it, but will joe six-pack go to the store and invest in this platform, that also requires him to separate himself from his/her family when using it?

Part of me is really excited for it, and the other part fears we have another Move and Kinect on our hands that will be forgotten in a few years.

Got a feeling sony is going to spend way too much time on morpheus and not enough on core games. I think they should show morpheus at a seperate event not e3 at least not a lot at e3. Sony is making a mistake here imo.

The seller of VR is the immersion factor, something that can only be experienced. Traditional games can be sold via trailers, but VR needs to be tried to sell. Watching a trailer tells me nothing about why I want to own VR, in fact it just asks the question, well why don't I just play that on my TV instead?

bryanee

The seller of VR is the immersion factor, something that can only be experienced. Traditional games can be sold via trailers, but VR needs to be tried to sell. Watching a trailer tells me nothing about why I want to own VR, in fact it just asks the question, well why don't I just play that on my TV instead?

I don't know. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos of people playing games on the Rift and I can see with a lot of them why it would be fantastic to play them with a VR headset.

I cant wait to try it out for myself.

Got a feeling sony is going to spend way too much time on morpheus and not enough on core games. I think they should show morpheus at a seperate event not e3 at least not a lot at e3.

I think the better thing to do would be to announce details about the launch of the product and games launching for and some trailers for those games, and then announce a partnership with Best Buy or something where people will be able to demo Morpheus starting this year, and immediately on the show floor of E3. Perhaps the in store demos are scheduled events like the Nintendo Smash thing last year, because otherwise those things would get rekt if left in the wild at retail stores.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So ready for this VR fad to be over.

Yep.

I keep asking myself where's the market?

It seems everyone is hedging on VR being the next Wii, but forgetting the Wii as a total package was $249.

You mean the technological advancement science fiction has been teasing the public with for decades? Gee, I wonder why people would be interested?

Seriously, I don't understand why anyone would NOT be intrigued by this.

I agree with this, have a bad feeling sony is going to be focusing too much on morpheus at the expense of core games. I'd rather they unveal morpheus at an event just for morpheus not at e3.

JoshHood

...that also requires him to separate himself from his/her family when using it?

This is totally the issue for me (personally, as well as looking at it as a wider thing). Gaming is so big now namely because it's so social and easily accessible - locking it off again, making it private and reclusive, is never gonna do well.

Edit: the tech is cool for sure, and I like the idea, but yeah.

Liamc723

A big push for VR at Sony's conference? Eurgh, great. Just great. This fad is going to be overpriced and will go the same way as 3D did.

I bet most calling it a fad have never tried it...I don't think it is fair to call it a fad this early, from all reports it really is awesome once you try it, have an open mind people. After saying that e3 is not the place imo to focus too much on it......i'd rather a seperate event to unveal morpheus.

Liamc723

I bet most calling it a fad have never tried it...I don't think it is fair to call it a fad this early, from all reports it really is awesome once you try it, have an open mind people. After saying that e3 is not the place imo to focus too much on it......i'd rather a seperate event to unveal morpheus.

And the VR headsets are going to cost the same as the actual consoles, it's not going to take off in any big way.

Anyone think we're going to see something from Sucker Punch? Been a while since Second Son/First Light. On the other hand they could be saved for PSX.

I agree with this, have a bad feeling sony is going to be focusing too much on morpheus at the expense of core games. I'd rather they unveal morpheus at an event just for morpheus not at e3.

Well if anyone has the time to talk about VR on stage it is Sony, their conferences are already a half hour longer than anyone else. Also I think they are being smarter about launching this device than Move and are having WWS developers make games from the ground up, including Media Molecule and Studio London and I think it is a forgone conclusion that No Man's Sky launches with Morpheus support and I bet The Witness will as well. So they will definitely have games to show for it.

SDCowboy

I think it's a fad in its current form based on the very safe assumption that the overwhelming majority of consumers will not want to strap a device to their face to consume media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom